Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 5th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #31
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
Will I be despised even more if I say I thought Dune was awful?
You have made an enemy of me until the day I die.

Rule 1: You lose.
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #32
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
Maybe people wouldn't be so angry with TNS if the tactics used to get it produced weren't so abhorent. I might have liked it, really.
By "people" are you saying that all "people" are angry with it? Personally, I can think of quite a few "people" who aren't". And you still haven't addressed the question. Essentially it's, would you and the people at BSGC be angry if TNS fans acted towards a TOS continuation in the manner you have acted towards TNS?

Old January 5th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #33
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
The BSGC poster that you quote is only stating the obvious question (to which an answer is forthcoming beginning in mid January).
There's a difference between stating that a show may have ratings problems, and cheering at the notion.

Old January 5th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #34
julix
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
There was a time when peoples' moral values were questioned if they favored the new show one iota. I'd say that makes a pretty big impact on how one fandom perceives another.

Martok
Steve I say gently....you mean some people in one fandom percieives another ....or at least I know you didn't mean to indicate all parts of one fandom....right?. Or was it actually most?....I can't believe that but tell me............
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #35
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

"By "people" are you saying that all "people" are angry with it?"

No he isn't, he's simply making a normal semantical point about how there is a vocal negative reaction from many people in TOS fanbase. That's a point you already conceded by default in the first place when you began this thread registering your concerns over fandom's reaction to TNS.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #36
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
Ok let me elaborate… the impression I got from Mustex post was that he was asking us to "walk a mile in his shoes” a TNS fan who reads posts like the one he reposted here. Where language like “Crappy Garbage” and “crap” are used to refer to TNS by TOS fans who have not even seen the show but hate it and continually express their hate towards the show simply because it exists.

Yes I know there is a long and huge history here (BSG fandom) of the reverse taking place (TOS being dumped on by TNS fans) that perhaps Mustex has not personally lived through. He is 18 years old remember? He has not lived what we have lived… until now, this is his first introduction to this kind of experience and he is exploring it. He’s trying to understand this kind of response, and asking us to understand how he’s feeling.

He explains that he does have feelings of hurt on some level about TNS being referred to in this way but he understands from us that he is not supposed to take it personally, but he is struggling with this concept.

He offers a scenario for us to consider and how we would feel if the tables were turned. Everyone responded to the scenario instead of the underlying feelings being expressed and the quest for understanding that is expressed in his post.

That’s all I meant.
Dang, you said it alot better than me.

Old January 5th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #37
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustex
By "people" are you saying that all "people" are angry with it? Personally, I can think of quite a few "people" who aren't". And you still haven't addressed the question. Essentially it's, would you and the people at BSGC be angry if TNS fans acted towards a TOS continuation in the manner you have acted towards TNS?
No not all people are angry with Moore's BSG, but there was a time that a lot of us hard core BSG TOS fans did react to flames. Jabs at TOS was taken to a personal level,It was really an ugly time for the whole fandom, a time of pure anger on all sides.

I think a lot of us have worked through the anger and to go down that path again would be something we would not do. I agree that everyone does have their limits and if pushed far enough the evil red face of anger may show it's ugly head again.

"If" we got the amazing news that a continuaton was underway, and fans of the new show were making Jabs again at the Original and trying to stop the continuation ...I really feel that living thought what happened in the recent past most of us would not want to go though that type of Hell again.

We would just be too busy celebrating that our voices were finally heard and our continuation was going to give us a closing to our beloved show.

I hope this is what you were looking for as a reply.
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #38
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by julix
Steve I say gently....you mean some people in one fandom percieives another ....or at least I know you didn't mean to indicate all parts of one fandom....right?. Or was it actually most?....I can't believe that but tell me............

Yes, for the sake of clarity, the way "some" people of one fandom perceive "some" from another.

Basically,
Some people in the TOS fandom seemed to think that if you supported TNS, it meant you supported gratuitous sex and baby killing. IMNSHO, that was pretty petty. Any cheap shots that could be taken to further vilefy a fanbase that wanted nothing more than to see the show, and support it.

Martok
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #39
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Now, speaking as a MODERATOR. I think this subject has gotten all of the answers it is going to get.

As interesting a question as it is, it seems to rehash the horrible notions of Galactica fandom that we have all tried to put behind us.

Yes, there are still a few holdouts on BOTH sides of the Galactica fence who view fans of the opposite show as the scum of the universe for supporting whatever they support. They will continue to stoke the flames of war since that seems to be ALL that makes them happy.

Then again....I've given up on my role as some sort of Ambassador between the fandoms. We aren't needed any more...at least, according to one poster on another board, and those who tend to agree with that poster.

Blessed are the peace makers, for they shall surely catch hell from both sides.

Well...seen enough hell from both sides.

What happens....happens.

Nuff said,
Martok