Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old October 11th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #31
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
Danke.
Indeed I agree with your philosophy Martok, and how nice you are a little bi-lingual, german ancestory?
I have half Austrian roots myself...

Love your avatar by the way, trés magnifique!

Regal wishes!

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #32
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Danke, Sarika. I don't know much Deutsch at all....I speak very little of it.

A little Spanish (at least what I can piece together), a little Chinese, a little Russian.

My descent is German-Irish.

And merci beaucoup for the kind words on my avatar.
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #33
TIRex
Shuttle Pilot

those where the day
I'm now 33 years old and I've read that text years ago in my nativ language and is so true.

For example, I remember building Captain Futur's Bodyarmor from paper and is Proton-Gun from an old drill machine, Star Treks Paser an Tricorder from gas-gast (or what ever that was) an Conans Sword and Luke's Lightsaber from wood (glued with aluminiumfoil for the metal finish). With enough fatasy it worked perfectly.
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #34
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarks
I remember making my own sword and guns. The one toy I played with the most was lego, tried to make everything out of it. I even created the viper and a cylon raider. It was great for showing battle damage. Even made a Galactica, of couse that didn't turn out as good as the only pictures i had to go from was what I could remember from the show.

I remember riding a bike down a hill without a helmet, I crashed, got hurt, but I also learned from it. We also knew all of our neighbors and they knew us.
You said it, AJ.

I loved making things when I was young too. Still do, actually. I made a BSG blaster out of a 2-inch thick, foot long piece of a tree and couple flat wooden slats that I nailied at an angle near one end of the foot long section of tree. It didn't make sounds, but that's where my imagination came into play. That's one thing we had back then....Imagination.

I also created a Thor's hammer, and a wooden katana.

I have plans to build a lightsaber in the near future. I am currently working on finding the parts needed to build it. Here's hoping.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what's the charge this time? - Lee Adama

Striking a superior @$$hole. - Kara Thrace

Ah. I bet you've been waiting all day to say that one. - Lee Adama

Most of the afternoon, yeah. - Kara Thrace

Right. - Lee Adama

Cylon Number 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #35
Sarika
Strike Leader

You know gentlemen, I can remember when I was little too, and my imagination was the realm I lived in most of the hours of the day...being born a Piscean, well that's just who we are. I guess I'm still that way.

I love hearing all your tales of your childhood and the creative imagination we all had, and had immense fun with.

Certainly iconic classics such as our beloved BSG sparked many a child's mind to produce and create thnigs of our own making.

We really used our inspirations to the max, I wonder do many kids still posses that innate childlike faith that "we can create anything, our mind's eye see". And even if our "pretend ships" don't fly or make noises, that's what our vocal chords and imaginations are for!!!

I even recall a funny little thing I used to believe when I first watched BSG (like a religion, when I was only 7 or 8, was I used to think my heros were really up there in the heavens looking for Earth.....

I would gaze up at the stars at night through my bedroom window, and wish to see a viper landing.... one day maybe...I still secretly wish that, when I am star hopping on a clear night.

I think that's what incited my life long passion for astronomy. I love the idea of looking up and beyond ourselves, to feel that oneness with the universe, our part in it.

The Last Piscon Siress

Old October 12th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #36
gmd3d
Major

I really read through this thread.
And remembered my own childhood in Ireland and guesss what it was the very same .. did not have a lot of money for toys but we got by .. by building our own.
Tree Branchs became rifles ,, or swords . our bikes became Police cars or bike's
(Chips was populer then) or and Xwing chasing Tiefighters .. or a simple game of chasing .. course when you get a little older closer to the teens it become Kiss Chasing .. (never got way as much as i use too, just like getting caught)

I also remember building my own Laser pistols by scavaging parts from other toys making my own belt and holster . (from a leather school bag.. Got a good beating from that.:0.. but became my friends hero because I made enough to go around )

In my present occupation I go into people homes every day .... I see all the crap they have . most look cool as toys etc. but where is the imagation the creative design that myself and all my friends built every day when we where kids ..

and if you try to explain that to kids now they look at you as if you a hole in your head .. "What Use a stick and pretend its a gun" pfff.... Get Lost"

Mother's and Father's now don't have time to play with their children , now both parents have to work just to make ends meet .. over here its gone money mad.(that ok if there is balance in the home ) but now people just want a bigger Expanceive Cars. so they can sit bunper to bumper in Ireland biggest parking lot
"The moter way" more expancive crap in the house . and every thing is electonic . so more power is needed the more thing cost to run more hours a week in work. kids get what they want now .. and value nothing ..

our game's . like your games went on all during Summer break.. Imagin if you will Children playing .. not 3 or 7 children but perhaps 30 playing BSG . StarWars . Cowboys . Solders etc very day . altogether .. ok ok there where a few disagrements and fights .. but we play together the very next day like nothing happend ..

ahh Kiss Chasing .............................................................................What sorry
the end

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #37
bsg1fan1975
Major

I heard this on the news last night and it makes me sad. In Attleboro, Mass. contact games such as tag, touch football and the like are no longer allowed. The reason they banned it, too many kids were getting hurt, or so they claim. Shoot, the best part of playing those games were that you were having fun and not worrying about getting hurt!

I remember playing dodgeball in school and getting hit with the ball in the stomach during gym. It only hurt for a little while, not bad enough for my mother to have to come and take me to the hospital and claim I had been injured from playing the game.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #38
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

My generation survived well but have done a lousy job at raising our kids over all IMHO
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #39
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975
I heard this on the news last night and it makes me sad. In Attleboro, Mass. contact games such as tag, touch football and the like are no longer allowed. The reason they banned it, too many kids were getting hurt, or so they claim. Shoot, the best part of playing those games were that you were having fun and not worrying about getting hurt!

I remember playing dodgeball in school and getting hit with the ball in the stomach during gym. It only hurt for a little while, not bad enough for my mother to have to come and take me to the hospital and claim I had been injured from playing the game.
I LOVED DODGEBALL!!!
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #40
bsg1fan1975
Major

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
I LOVED DODGEBALL!!!
me too. I was better at dodgebal lthan I was at kick ball!

Old October 19th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #41
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I loved kickball as well
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #42
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
me too. I was better at dodgebal lthan I was at kick ball!
OMG, Kickball....I haven't even thought about that game in years!!

LOL! One day, (some century and a half ago) we were playing kickball in the gym, and the opposing team was setting up a pyramid of players, to try and prevent the ball from going too far out in the field. (We were little kids, so obviously we couldn't kick too far......or so some of us thought. ).

It was my turn at kick. They formed their pyramid. I kicked the ball so hard (and surprisingly accurately enough....this is no felgercarb), that I caught the top player in the gut. Now obviously kickballs were NOT that hard.....but it caught him enough by surprise that he fell over, thus toppling the pyramid.

I think I was prouder of toppling the pyramid than I was scoring a run.
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #43
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:

I agree, bsg1. It is sad when the people who grew up playing those games are so scared of being sued or whatever that they prevent any future generations of children from having the pleasure of playing games like that. I mean, after all. I believe that someone probably came up with "touch" football because kids were getting hurt playing "tackle" football. WDYT?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what's the charge this time? - Lee Adama

Striking a superior @$$hole. - Kara Thrace

Ah. I bet you've been waiting all day to say that one. - Lee Adama

Most of the afternoon, yeah. - Kara Thrace

Right. - Lee Adama

Cylon Number 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #44
Sarika
Strike Leader

I remember in my day at school, the teacher could still smack a naughty child...now it's considered as molestering or sexual harassment if a teacher tried to discipline a student.
Even children and their own friends can't even give eachother a hug or any physical touch like a pat on their shoulder, at school...
Has the world gone completely mad??

The Last Piscon Siress

Old October 20th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #45
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

In a word.....yes.
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #46
gmd3d
Major

I second the word .. yes .. complety mad

Old October 24th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #47
bsg1fan1975
Major

I'll third that!

It was unheard of in my house or my hubby's to ask your parents for money for stupid things. We had to earn it by ourselves!

Old November 9th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #48
Lyra
Bad Email Address

My 15 year old niece and I get on like a house on fire. Often on school holidays we play a game of monopoly or cards, as well as when I join her in doing things on the computer together,,,we laugh, make silly voices, and have a panic attack when we lose something on the computer, just for a giggle of course..we're usually in tears from laughing...I sure she thinks I'm not you're usual "run of the mill" aunty, but I always feel proud we bridge any generation gap, and get along. She probably thinks my taste in music is probably a little strange too...it's mostly stuff I remember growing up with, and listening to on my big brother's stereo,,good stuff from the seventies and early eighties...ahh good times. but then she suprises me, by jiving to something I used to hear, that's been revived...glad to know she can enjoy some of my favourite songs.
Lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #49
spcglider
Squadron Leader

All true,

But the majority of those things have been shown to be dangerous in the world we live in NOW.

You can take some of that stuff with a grain of salt and chock it up to nostalgia (except the lead based paint) OR you can give it the credence it needs in today's world and realize how lucky we all are to have dodged the bullet!

But there IS a difference between now and then. I grew up in the 1970's. When you were told "get outside and go play". No scheduled play dates with friends. No soccer practice. Just get your butt outside and entertain yourself until dinner time. Kids don't have that any more. Its just not possible in a lot of cases.

And kids have replaced it with video games mostly. Kids don't even read comics that much anymore. Remember walking down to the corner market and picking up comic books at $.30 each? And don't tell me they were a NICKEL... comic books were NEVER a nickel.

That was all part of us as kids learning how to self-manage. Kids don't get that today.

-G
Old November 15th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #50
PaulGTweed
Warrior

For everyone with 1970's and 1980's nostalgia some good websites are: www.retrojunk.com, www.8ostvthemes.com, www.toontracker.com, www.tvobscurities.com and www.tvparty.com
PaulGTweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM   #51
bsg1fan1975
Major

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra
My 15 year old niece and I get on like a house on fire. Often on school holidays we play a game of monopoly or cards, as well as when I join her in doing things on the computer together,,,we laugh, make silly voices, and have a panic attack when we lose something on the computer, just for a giggle of course..we're usually in tears from laughing...I sure she thinks I'm not you're usual "run of the mill" aunty, but I always feel proud we bridge any generation gap, and get along. She probably thinks my taste in music is probably a little strange too...it's mostly stuff I remember growing up with, and listening to on my big brother's stereo,,good stuff from the seventies and early eighties...ahh good times. but then she suprises me, by jiving to something I used to hear, that's been revived...glad to know she can enjoy some of my favourite songs.

you too Lyra? I remember listening to Rick Springfield with my sister and then while having my brother help me with my homework while we listened to The Fixx and his stuff and I loved it. It was quite a shock to find out that when I met my hubby we liked the same kind of music and play it often in the car on trips, of course I had to play some country music from my collection too.

All in all, I think that today's generation just doesn't understand us older folks and the fun we had!

Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:57 PM   #52
libernull
Shuttle Pilot

I remember GI Joes, Micronaughts, and the original Star Wars dolls... I mean, Action Figures. I remember going around the neighborhood with my best friend picking up bottles and cans to recycle for quarters so we could play Tempest all afternoon. I remember summer nights, when we could stay out til after dark thanks to the time change, playing kick the can. I remember pick up games of wiffel ball in the street. I remember when we all got plastic skateboards and had no frame of reference - so ended up skating around like dorks, flailing arms trying to keep our balance. None of my friends became skaters. I agree - it was just go out and entertain yourselves. Imagination was key. Being a kid was fun.
libernull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #53
doc834
Bad Email Address

My mother used to tell me to "Go outside and play!", and never told me how far I could go. So long as I didn't cross a busy street, I was fine. Walking to the corner staore was a treat, especially if I went for my mother. She always gave me extra money to get something for myself. Now I have to take a car to get to the nearest 7-Eleven.
doc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #54
gmd3d
Major

universal problem these days .. the small corner shop is almost a thing of the past .. real pity

Old November 24th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #55
doc834
Bad Email Address

Not to mention that subdivisions are getting bigger and bigger. The nearest store from my house is 2 miles away. When I was a kid, the nearest store was at least 3 blocks, in either direction.
Old November 24th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #56
gmd3d
Major

REMEMBERING my childhood .. I knew the name of the shop keeper .. knew the parents and the children .... short a few pence .. no problem . drop it in again .. when money tight . the same ..

Old November 24th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #57
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc834
My mother used to tell me to "Go outside and play!", and never told me how far I could go. So long as I didn't cross a busy street, I was fine. Walking to the corner staore was a treat, especially if I went for my mother. She always gave me extra money to get something for myself. Now I have to take a car to get to the nearest 7-Eleven.
LOL....and remember when directions to any given location were referenced BY 7-11's?

"Yeah, you wanna get to (such and such a place)? Ok, you go down to the corner, and turn left at the 7-11. Then you go past two more 7-11's, probably another couple of miles, turn right (that'll be your last 7-11), and you're there."

Old November 24th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #58
doc834
Bad Email Address

That was any place in San Diego. In Detroit, the corner stores were family owned and operated. Some of the owners lived right next door to there stores. Pretty convenient.
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #59
JaiQwan
Bad Email Address

WoW talk about memory lane, Just the other day my younger 8 year old daughter was asking me if I liked watching Sponge Bob when I was a kid or some other kids cartoon that is now days for the kids. She really started me thinking of what it was like back when? geeze it seems so long ago when we
used to hang out with a group of our friends and just having plain ole fun running around.

And doing what came to mind, or going out to the sand box and playing with the Ole Tonka Toy Dump Trucks and such, now days it is all wireless remote control, Now that I think about it I can remember the old AFX race cars where you had to put the race track together. And the biggest thrill was taking apart the cars swapping the motors to make them go faster, heck we even had a four lane race track and would have races to see who AFX car was faster. Ya know I still have one or two of my old AFX cars, gonna have pull it out and take a pic of it.

PaulGTweed, I checked out a couple links you posted and I was looking at the cartoons from back then, I can remember watching the Abbott & Costello Cartoons and Casper the Friendly Ghost and all the rest. And then I checked the one other site you posted and I scrolled down a bit and read this.

""Kids, Guns and TV
Some modern-day experts contend that violent video games encourage savage behavior in our young people, while others say that's just another example of the latest entertainment medium becoming society's scapegoat du jour. Keep in mind, the same breed of expert said the exact same thing about comic books and toy guns in the 1950s - and look at how great the baby boomers turned out."" Here is the rest of it http://www.tvparty.com/emguns.html

When I was a kid I had to work and earn my money to buy things, Wash the dish’s, sweep the floor or steps, mop the floor, wax the floor, clean the bath room, ect; and I was paid not a lot maybe like 5 or 6 bucks a week but money was just not handed to me because I asked for it. Now days the world has become a disposable world, "use it through it away buy a new one, Why Fix? why take care of it" I remember back in shop class I made a Snoopy Lamp from wood and painted it like Snoopy’s dog house and the shop teacher helped me cut out and paint a Snoopy figure to glue on top of the Snoopy dog house, WoW I held onto the lamp up until about six years ago when my daughter broke it beyond repair (terrible Two's).

Anywho, when my daughter was asking me about the cartoons she watch’s now days, I started to think and I told her ya know what, from now on, you and your sister will work and earn your allowance, help in the kitchen cleaning up, take out the trash, walk the dog, you want things, toys, MONEY, you will have to earn it, I am not going to be your money machine, I will help you when and where I feel it is the right thing to do, but by god you both will learn the value of Money and how to care for your things and so on. And on a last note, I do have to say that when the two of them are out playing in the yard or in the house, they both have a very good active imagination when they are not fighting with each other, they have really learned how to pretend.

Okay that is it from the peanut gallery
JaiQwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #60
bsg1fan1975
Major

I remember when I lived in Rhode Island as a kid we had to go to downtown Newport to get penny candy till the shop closed up. i used to get two or three bags for less than I can buy it now!