Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Chats, Interviews, and Podcasts
Notices

Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:14 AM   #1
Thunderstruck
Warrior

Default History of BSG- Dirk B. on Reimagined BSG

Well, I am sure some have seen or read or even heard this.

But as I am searching for some decent SFX ( ie some damn weapons efx )
I came across this and began reading.

And honestly, I have to agree with Mr. Benedict with how he saw it.
Because in a lot of ways I saw it similarly. I do say it is a good show,
but, it was not Battlestar the way it was meant.

There is also some words from Edward James Olmos on the New BSG. b ut looking back I cannot find this text...?
--again I think I agree with a lot of it also.--

http://telewatcher.com/science-ficti...glen-a-larson/

Link to Resource
http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/h...icle.php?nid=5

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/.../Viper-Sig.gif
So much to learn , so little time, and so many ideas with so little knowledge and so much to discover with so many things to try.

Last edited by Thunderstruck; April 3rd, 2012 at 03:34 AM..
Thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: History of BSG- Dirk B. on Reimagined BSG

Well put, as only Starbuck can!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

A lot of the folks in there that liked the new series had the same reactions and responses I would typically get from people I speak to down here in New Orleans. The nostalgia just isn't there for them. They remember the show as kids, probably even enjoyed them as kids. But the world has moved on, and so have they. Now they look back at the original series and see a guilty pleasure at best, in favor of the much more serious tone of the new series. A band mate of mine just started watching the new series, and remembers the original, with exactly the kind of sentiment I cited above. Lots of folks at conventions and at comic book stores and other places that are conducive to discussions of sci-fi/space fantasy shows had similar sentiments. It's not that they hate(d) the original series...but they just can't look back on it as fondly as they do now, in light of the new show. I personally don't think there's anything to demonize in those feelings.

In my book, both shows are products of their times. For me, both are escapist. If I wanna go back to recall a simpler time in my life, I'll watch the original series. If I want something a little more relevant to my here and now, I'll watch the new series.

I don't say this disparagingly, but truth is truth.
Classic Battlestar Galactica is space fantasy, like Star Wars. (science fiction is not always about action/adventure/futuristic combat). Things just happen to work the way they work, no questions asked.

New Battlestar Galactica is definitely more science fiction and drama with some space fantasy (yeah, they still use sound effects in space...but then, so did Star Trek in all its incarnations) thrown in.

Just my views....take with a grain of salt, or take the whole darned shaker.
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Jubal
Warrior

Been watching Space Above and Beyond lately, and in that show we have a lot of the elements that the re-imagined BSG offered:

-People in Earth looking clothing.
-People firing bullets when they had jump technology
-A race that was hunting humans, created by humans. (The Silicates)
-An enemy that could assume the shape of humans.
-A continuing story of understanding the enemy.

And the list goes on. Absolutely LOVING this show since they are from Earth, and it is set in 2063. They would look like people from Earth for that reason, and would still be using bullets. All that is plausible.

I'm going to bring up another point, Blood and Chrome. Not a retelling of a existing story, and in this we had action, we were basically spared civilian clothing as it was a military mission. Absolutely loved it. Blood and Chrome has shown to to a lot of people what the reimagined series should have been.

Could the reimagined Galactica been something that could have stood on its own without having to use the name of a franchise, and at that, half heartedly? Sure they could have.

It really comes down to this: Sci-fi fans that care about the details and care about the story environment presented find the reimagined Galactica to be just a lazy man's attempt to put a drama in space.

"Hey we have a great drama here, who cares about the details, or how suits and ties made it into a civilization that happened 100K years before our current time."

And those that like drama, not caring the details, love the reimagined Galactica. But the more and more I'm listening to those that like the reimagined Galactica the more I am hearing people that like drama over science fiction.

Playing devil's advocate to my own words a minute, technically those that liked the classic Galactica were more the crowds that liked Westerns. (Cattlecar Galactica).

Western inspired or drama inspired, the details didn't need to suffer. You say they are a race of people looking FOR Earth and have never been to Earth before, don't have them look like they are from current day Earth with, aside from space vehicles, have technology that could also be current Earth technology.

Simply lazy.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

overall, an entertaining read, but short on alot of facts. I believe ABC did state Advertising revinue as a reason for the cancellation.

Also, Hatch, as much as I love the Second coming concept and visuals, did not have the rights to the series and couldn't go forward with it. (unfortunately)

missing completely from the article is the DeSanto Continuation project that was a joint venture between SciFi/Fox. It would be directed by Singer. When Fox and Singer withdrew, supposedly connected to the delay from the 911 attacks, SciFi took over and slowly at first pushed DeSanto out. I believe, for contractual reasons, Tom DeSanto was still credited in the reimagined Miniseries.

that said, I agree alot with Jubal. only slight references ever tried to connect the Moore Series to the original. And I always hated Bullets in Most SciFi.

Firefly especially. That was set SO far ahead of present day, I feel there should have been energy based weapons.

Space, above and Beyond I can see bullets (I don't think they had FTL, just used natural Wormholes) Aliens I don;t mind the bullets.

But suits and ties coming from a Society that never has been to Earth. NOT FRELLIN LIKELY!!!!the Neck Tie is NOT Universal!

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
But suits and ties coming from a Society that never has been to Earth. NOT FRELLIN LIKELY!!!!the Neck Tie is NOT Universal!
Are we really so sure?

I don't think any of us can say what other humans from beyond the stars would look like. We might have this idealized, fantasized notion about what they might look like, but we have no certainties.
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

yeah, I'm pretty sure. only bow ties are Universal.

this is all fantasy, but come on, identical development to Eart, right down to dress? and I called Star Trek out for the same thing with the Roman Empire Episode as well.

Old March 10th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

And the bow tie is an affectation since the Doctor has more or less adopted Earth.

Parallel development is something Star Trek did 3 times. In broadcast order:

Miri, The Omega Glory, Bread and Circuses (the episode you refer to),

But I agree - when you are designing for a show where they've never even seen Earth, where any common background ended several thousand years before, getting your costumes off the rack from JCPenney kind of ruins the effect.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #9
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Maybe they had J.C. Penny's on Caprica.

(runs.....hides)
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #10
Jubal
Warrior

Star Trek Re: History of BSG- Dirk B. on Reimagined BSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
And the bow tie is an affectation since the Doctor has more or less adopted Earth.

But I agree - when you are designing for a show where they've never even seen Earth, where any common background ended several thousand years before, getting your costumes off the rack from JCPenney kind of ruins the effect.

I am
Dawg
I'm glad to see other folks agree on the JC Penny's point.

As for Star Trek, the parallel development was interesting. Much later the "Founders" would be introduced and said to have distributed the beginning DNA of the Humans, Klingons, Romulans, and all other humanoid races throughout the galaxy. When I saw this brought up I wondered if perhaps the "Founders" started several proto Earths to see how each would evolve under different conditions? The funny thing about Star Trek up to the most recent movie is that they didn't consider continuity so much, and yet still work it all into the continuity later... somehow. :P Star Trek always seemed to say to me "Don't worry, this will all hit reset and be back to normal eventually." Being episodic it could do that.

Why did I not question it? I guess because it was not a regular part of the show. Who did we see all the time? Kirk, Spock, McCoy on a ship of people, most from Earth, in the year 2265. They went all kinds of crazy places, and yes some were parallel development worlds, but strangely this was cool. Why? Because after some crazy adventure (where you would welcome seeing a Roman Empire Earth) you go back to a crew on a ship flying around in space in future attire, yet still from Earth a few from other alien worlds.

So at the root of all the adventures, you had a plausible (within itself) constant to work with.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:

Miri, The Omega Glory, Bread and Circuses (the episode you refer to)

I am
Dawg
I am not a Dr Who fan, just trying to be funny with the bow tie comment.

Old March 11th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I am not a Dr Who fan <snip>
You should be...

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Senmut
Strike Leader

As a devotee of the One and Only Original BSG, gotta say I am not a Western fan.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #14
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:

I am
Dawg
Ahem...you forgot "A Piece of the Action" , and yes, I am well aware of the circumstances that warranted the appearance of 1930's gangster attire.

Be interesting to see how that planet turned out after Dr. McCoy mistakenly left "transtator" technology behind.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Jubal
Warrior

I've read the site TVTropes.com since I last posted here. We have here what I believe they call "A World of Hats". Basically another Earth like world, just with different hats for a unique story.

Fascinatingly enough, I never seemed to care when watching Star Trek. Oh another class M planet with a history similar to Earth? Not a problem! LOL

Not sure why that didn't matter. Probably was just having fun watching Kirk and Spock get out of yet another mess.