Notices
Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old December 21st, 2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Default Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

Oh man, this movie was so great.

No words here, just see it. If you're an Apes fan at all, that is.
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Re: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

Yes a I'm fan of the original POTA movies, especially the first two, and also the TV series.
Didnt really like the POTA remake from a few years back, a terrible re-imagining.
I DID like this new movie though, and as a remake/replacement of "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" it was fantastic. I thought it really held true to the important continuity points of the original two POTA movies great, actually better(more logical) than the original.
The little parts in the background talking about the "Icarus" mission really tied it in nicely for me. I hope they continue with this series, assuming they maintain the same quality level.
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Senmut
Strike Leader

Another re-imagining.
No thanks.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I saw this film in the movie theater...twice! I was a big fan of the original Apes movies, but I totally hated the last remake venture. I went into this one very skeptical (and armed with a 5.00 movie money card) and I enjoyed it very much. I think that it just came out on DVD - I need to go get it!

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Actually this movie really started out well but lost me in the end. I am a big apes fan as well and found the Mark Wahlberg installment actually pretty entertaining. This new apes movie just did not cut it for me but it's still entertaining..

Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
I saw this film in the movie theater...twice! I was a big fan of the original Apes movies, but I totally hated the last remake venture. I went into this one very skeptical (and armed with a 5.00 movie money card) and I enjoyed it very much.
It was a magnificent idea to not straight-up remake the original classic. That's like breaking into a building with an impenetrable ground floor. And since it's based on paradoxes, the ground floor is also the top level. So they went in from the side. Smart.
Lookin' forward to the sequel.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #7
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a truly awesome film. If only most franchises were revived in such a way.

I vary from Don in that I couldn't stand the Tim Burton treatment. For me, it only moved from horrid to barely watchable for me as time passed. I have it on DVD because its part of the franchise but its wasted shelf space for me as I don't even load it in the player when I go through my apes phase (which is where I rewatch the films and then the television series).

I also did think that Rise wavered a bit when they got to the bridge conflict. It didn't bother me because it was the mandatory monkeys fight for freedom scene. If it wasn't in the end of this film it would have to be the opening of the next. Had they bumped it off until later, it would have probably have played out pretty weakly given the virus spread graphics they showed at the end. In this film, it showed the apes fighting for their independence which gave it more meaning than it otherwise would have gotten.

I suspect this film ended in a manner that is going to lead to a pretty strong sequel. I think in ten years, we'll see the films run together fairly well, as does the Lord of the Rings trilogy. If you recall, one of the complaints about Fellowship of the Ring was that it was slow and a bit drawn out. After the trilogy was completed, nobody complained.

I was very happy that this one had an actual story.

If only all remakes were done with such care.

All my best,

Russell
Old December 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM   #8
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I thought Rise was awesome.

thought it was respectful of the franchise while still being creatively its own film.

This has been a good year for Apes product with various books and comic releases that have been excellent in quality.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post

This has been a good year for Apes product with various books and comic releases that have been excellent in quality.
I noticed some very GOOD looking Apes comics at the shop yesterday....
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #10
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Watched the film today with the writer's commentary on. Was really nice to hear their actual knowledge and respect of the original films. Thought I caught them early on when they commented about Ceasar being the first ape to speak the word "No" in the original film, but later in the commentary they expanded on that, adding it was actually mentioned in "Escape" and was actually an ape named Aldo... told in story, never seen.

A film like this is great because it revitalizes a franchise in a way that can bring in new fans who never saw the original, and still respects and gives fans of the original so much to enjoy. Aside from how Battlestar Galactica has been treated over the years, we luckily had some decent creative folk behind other beloved franchises like Star Trek, Tron, and now Planet of the Apes. Maybe someday Battlestar... maybe some day.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin View Post
Maybe someday Battlestar... maybe some day.
"It is a dream I have...." - Arthurisall
Old December 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #12
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Yes, I too thoroughly enjoyed RotPOTA. (sounds like a bowel disease...ugh...hahaha).
Great, fun movie...and an excellent summation of just how the uprising and take over began.

I highly ape-reciate this movie. They certainly didn't monkey around. I'm gibbon it four stars.
Old December 28th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #13
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon View Post
Actually this movie really started out well but lost me in the end. I am a big apes fan as well and found the Mark Wahlberg installment actually pretty entertaining. This new apes movie just did not cut it for me but it's still entertaining..

I'm probably one of the few that enjoyed the Tim Burton/Mark Wahlberg version as well.
Old December 28th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #14
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Yes, I too thoroughly enjoyed RotPOTA. (sounds like a bowel disease...ugh...hahaha).
Great, fun movie...and an excellent summation of just how the uprising and take over began.

I highly ape-reciate this movie. They certainly didn't monkey around. I'm gibbon it four stars.

Feeling a bit woozy, I am.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:50 PM   #15
LZaza
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I'm probably one of the few that enjoyed the Tim Burton/Mark Wahlberg version as well.
I enjoyed it as well. Wouldn't share it with the kids due to the violence, but hubby and I appreciated it.

Interesting to hear the reviews on the latest. Hubby downloaded it, but having recently watched all the original movies, I admit I lacked any enthusiasm for a re-imagining. Now I'll probably watch it.
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:33 PM   #16
Senmut
Strike Leader

Of the originals, which did you think was the best?
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #17
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZaza View Post
I enjoyed it as well. Wouldn't share it with the kids due to the violence, but hubby and I appreciated it.

Interesting to hear the reviews on the latest. Hubby downloaded it, but having recently watched all the original movies, I admit I lacked any enthusiasm for a re-imagining. Now I'll probably watch it.
Its not the typical re-imagining, this one pays a lot of respect to the original. Also the major change to the story is the origin of the smart apes, which makes more sense than the original, but still fits perfectly well.
Old January 4th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #18
Senmut
Strike Leader

The original was never clear on how the apes gained sentience. Selective breeding? Genetic manipulation? Sadly, it wasn't clear.
Old January 4th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #19
LZaza
Warrior

Of the original series, I liked the Planet of the Apes (first movie) the best. It was creative. The character of Taylor and his predicament pulled you in and had you rooting for him. The ending was a good twist, that obviously set the stage for the rest of the movies.

Hated the second. We finally catch up with Taylor again, only to have the world destroyed shortly thereafter.

Then we're supposed to believe that some scientific apes, including Zira and Cornelius, suddenly pulled a spaceship up from the bottom of a lake miles from their settlement arranging an escape before the world blew up, explaining the appearance of sentient apes in the past. Still shaking my head at the unlikelihood of that.

Yes, I'll be curious to see how they explain the evolution of the apes in this new rendition.
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #20
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

One of the strong aspects of "Rise" was the development of the apes wasn't done in a way that made you roll your eyes. It was truly a clever script and the steps it took progressed in a believable manner. I also thought this remake was far better than the original and I really like the original. It honored its origins and was one of the very few times that the changes in the remake all seemed for the better.

The downfall of man was also handled in a very smart way.

Given the mish-mash of the Ape timeline, I'm not entirely sure if "Rise" should truly be considered a remake or the first in the series. The other films show a looping timeline that shifts as the loop repeats. "Rise" could well fit as the launch of the timeline.

As a small spoiler, a subtle detail in the film is a news report overheard on the radio that talks about the disappearance of a space mission. This is presumably Commander Taylor's spacecraft. Taken from this view, "Rise" actually strengthens the rest of the apes films and makes a set that should go something like:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
(Sequels to Rise)
Planet of the Apes
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Escape from the Planet of the Apes
Conquest from the Planet of the Apes
Battle for the Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes television series

I mention this because the television series is also quite good and has held up to the test of time very well.

All my best,

Russell
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #21
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

I agree completely, Russell.
Rise of the POTA is not a remake by any means. It is a bona-fide beginning for a great series of movies. (A rarity too....given that some movies that try to delve into the beginnings of past films really fall flat.)
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #22
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Of the originals, which did you think was the best?
The first movie, the second movie, the series, then the last three movies are sort of all equally okay.