Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Other Science Fiction Shows
Notices
Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:03 PM   #1
Apollon

Default Lightsabers, anyone?

As you all know by now Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith comes out on the 19th of May and as always, the merchandising of movie paraphernalia is in full force. As a kid, I was a big Star Wars fan and had one of those telescoping plastic lightsaber toys as did a lot of kids back in the late 70's early 80's. Nowadays, you can find the same plastic telescoping toy lightsabers except they're outfitted with electronic sounds and lights. Cool for kids, but what about those adult....Okay, I'll say it. "geeks" who like all sorts of electronic gadgets, flashlights and stuff? Well, I was at Best Buy over the weekend and came home with a Force FX Lightsaber Collectible. Produced by Master Replicas, these are faithful reproductions with chrome plated aluminum bodies that look and feel like the movie props. They come with permanently attached polycarbonate blades that ignite with realistic power-up, and power-down lights effects and sound effects digitally recorded from the fims along with a display stand. Retail price at Best Buy was $119.00, but it was too cool to pass up.
Okay, now for pics:

(The yellow stickers are removable)

The light travels up and down the blade via 64 LED's which are encased inside a durable polycarbonate shell that protects them from damage. Although reasonably durable, these lightsabers aren't made for dueling so if you have any kids, you may not want them to swing away with it. Pretty cool collectible though it would be nice if the polycarbonate blades were removable like These.

Here are some more pics. It's still pretty bright even with the lights on:

Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:14 PM   #2
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Sweet! They were selling them at the SW convention in Indianapolis last week and so many people were buying them they were everwhere. When me and my friends went to the convention theatre to see the digital version of TESB, there were about a hundred people in the audience with those sabers, turned off, at their feet. When the movie opened with the 20th Century Fox fanfare, everybody cheered. There was no discussion among anybody, nobody tried to organize this, nobody said let's all do this, it just happened, and it was beautiful. When the STAR WARS appeared on the screen, about a hundred red, green, and blue lightsabers went straight up in the air at nearly the same time and stayed straight up until the crawl vanished into the distance on the screen. OMG, it was enough to bring a tear to a diehard fan's eye. It was awesome. I tried to get my camera out of the bag to snap a pic of the blades, but it got stuck and it was too late when I got it ready.

A couple of nights later we went to see TPM in the same theatre, and that time I was ready with the camera because I expected it to happen again. I'm sure it happened at every showing of all 5 movies. But that time, there were only about 20 or so that went up, and my cam wouldn't focus on the blades' light and it didn't come out anyway. Oh well.

I almost bought one myself after my friend bought one. At first I said, $110? Not worth it. But by the 3rd day of the con, with so many people walking everywhere with them, and seeing the way it lit up, the light extending to the edge of the blade rather than coming on like a flashlight, and the accurate sound effects it emitted when you turned it on and swung it, I had to have. But alas, by then they were sold out. I'm still going to get one, eventually.

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:22 PM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

They had these in the local Borders Books recently. I was browsing the aisles when I kept hearing this lightsaber sound coming from somewhere. When I got closer to the counter, they had one on display behind the counter and the clerk was playing with the sounds. I glanced over to the right and saw a big collection of new Star Wars books, etc. They had the lightsabers too and I noted the 110 dollar price tag. Hey, it might be a bit pricey for some, but it sure beats the Kenner toy version in Target - if you're gonna buy one, you might as well go all the way....!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:05 PM   #4
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Most definately. They do not look cheaply made at all. From far away the light blades look close to how they look in the films, without the fuzzy edges of course. The hard plastic tubes have some kind of light coils so when you turn it on the light turns on from one coil to the next, giving it that slower moving extension of the blade appearance; and the same in reverse. And I like that the blade tubes are hard enough to withstand non-intense striking against another blade, while being flexible enough at the base that some of the blow is absorbed and doesn't break it.

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:55 AM   #5
Fragmentary

"You'll put your eye out"
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Apollon

I just received a .45 scale replica of Obi-Wan's saber from Attack of the Clones. The detail is incredible! I'll post pics later tonight.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:52 PM   #7
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
They had these in the local Borders Books recently. I was browsing the aisles when I kept hearing this lightsaber sound coming from somewhere.
This is funny because the last time I was at Borders, I kept hearing the lightsaber sound effect. I never saw that they were selling them, I just assumed... I'm not sure what I assumed. I guess that the voices in my head were now making sounds.

Good to know it wasn't me though
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #8
TopGun
Strike Leader

that looks sweet, I had a Qui-Gon sabre from Episode I (just one of the £20 ones), I gave it to my brother, cuase I'm going to get a new Obi-Wan one
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #9
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

If you check around, such as behemoth auction sites, you could get one for less than $100. Mine should be coming in the mail soon. I only paid $95 for mine shipped...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #10
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Just be VERY careful with them guys.... I know how boys will be boys and try to fight with them... but I know from experience (and the fact that I am very proud of my extensive lightsaber collection) MASTER REPLICA BLADES WILL BREAK WITH OUT MUCH EFFORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost mine and one of my garrison lost his because he and my better half (who is in the dog house over this) went to reinact the fight scene and they both shattered!!!!!!!

if you want blades to use to just go all out over each other... look at Parks Sabers or LightechIndustries.com for these sabers that will not break. I have had mine since EpII and they have are in great shape... even after all the hell they go through during all the fan films and "staged events" I have done over the years. I'm not trying to promote one over the other... just I know that boys will be boys and that unless warned... we are going to hear a lot of ... "my saber broke....." posts. But the Force is telling me we still might see those even after warning you all....

just be careful with your Master Replicas please....
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #11
bsg1fan1975
Major

I saw them on a cable shopping channel for either $94 or $96 last week. They looked pretty cool but they weren't shipping them till August!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #12
Apollon

DarkJedi is correct. They can break if you start bashing away at hard objects. They are reasonably durable and can withstand some shock to a degree, but they are not toys and should not be dueled with (they way we guys tend to do). Master Replicas advises against dueling with them and clearly states this on the enclosed literature. Remember, they're marketed as collector's items, not toys. The sabers from Master Replicas do look and feel great, but if you're looking for a saber to duel with, Parks Sabers definitely deserve a look.

The ones from Parks Sabers have removable blades so you can wear the hilt on your Jedi (or Sith) costume if you are so inclined and are strong enough to duel with. It's even been reported that they've gone up against guys weilding Kendo sticks without damage. Besides the removable blades, the difference between Parks and Master Replicas is that Parks Sabers' blades are electro-luminescent lamps enclosed in a polycarbonate shell and light up the way an Indiglo watch does. Master Replicas' sabers use LEDs enclosed in a polycarbonate shell which allow the light to travel up and down the blade like in the films and have the sound effects which Parks does not. I really like my Master Replicas saber and I only wish they could make them with removable blades, but I've been tempted to order one from Parks. They are pricey, but look awesome!
Old June 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #13
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJedi
I have had mine since EpII and they have are in great shape... even after all the hell they go through during all the fan films and "staged events" I have done over the years.
Oooh... are any of the fan films you've been in easily found? theforce.net perhaps? Care to tell us what we should look for?
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #14
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

I'm in Revelations as a jedi on the holonet, just briefly. lol
The others...not sure if they made it to atom.com or force.net. I think so... gotta go look. One we are filming currently called Imperial Entanglements. Its pretty good so far. Most of the ones I've been in...I'm just background fighting material. lol
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #15
shugotenshi
Nameless Redshirt Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollon
DarkJedi is correct. They can break if you start bashing away at hard objects. They are reasonably durable and can withstand some shock to a degree, but they are not toys and should not be dueled with (they way we guys tend to do). Master Replicas advises against dueling with them and clearly states this on the enclosed literature. Remember, they're marketed as collector's items, not toys. The sabers from Master Replicas do look and feel great, but if you're looking for a saber to duel with, Parks Sabers definitely deserve a look.

The ones from Parks Sabers have removable blades so you can wear the hilt on your Jedi (or Sith) costume if you are so inclined and are strong enough to duel with. It's even been reported that they've gone up against guys weilding Kendo sticks without damage. Besides the removable blades, the difference between Parks and Master Replicas is that Parks Sabers' blades are electro-luminescent lamps enclosed in a polycarbonate shell and light up the way an Indiglo watch does. Master Replicas' sabers use LEDs enclosed in a polycarbonate shell which allow the light to travel up and down the blade like in the films and have the sound effects which Parks does not. I really like my Master Replicas saber and I only wish they could make them with removable blades, but I've been tempted to order one from Parks. They are pricey, but look awesome!
I was looking for a good saber to daul with. Thanks for the link.
shugotenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #16
TopGun
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJedi
I'm in Revelations as a jedi on the holonet, just briefly. lol
The others...not sure if they made it to atom.com or force.net. I think so... gotta go look. One we are filming currently called Imperial Entanglements. Its pretty good so far. Most of the ones I've been in...I'm just background fighting material. lol
That's pretty cool
Old June 14th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #17
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Well...

I finally bit the bullet on this one. After thinking on it for a while, I decided to buy one of these babies - but when I went looking in the retail outlets where I had seen it before Epsiode III was released, I couldn't find one. I even tried cruising eBay to see if I could save a few bucks, but most of the Lightsabers there are going for way over what they cost from the manufacturer.

So....I went to the Master Replicas website, flashed my plastic money and hope to have one by the end of this week. I know that some would say that 119.00 is a lot of money for a "toy", but when you look at the cost of the other items that Master Replicas makes, it's a bargain in comparison.

I can't wait!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #18
Fragmentary

Cool Bryan!
And just remember, nothing is too expensive if you can afford it. I hope you enjoy the lightsaber and try not to turn to the dark side.
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #19
Apollon

Bryan, I'm still enjoying mine. Which one did you order? Anakin's or Vader's?

Can't wait until Mace Windu's saber becomes available this fall!
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #20
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollon
Bryan, I'm still enjoying mine. Which one did you order? Anakin's or Vader's?

Can't wait until Mace Windu's saber becomes available this fall!
Apollon -

I ordered Anakin's (AKA Luke's saber in Episode IV). I like the blue blade and I'm just not a "dark side" kind of guy.

Old June 14th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #21
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
I'm just not a "dark side" kind of guy.
I remember when Anakin used to say that
Old June 14th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #22
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmentary
I remember when Anakin used to say that
Yes, but I'm more like the son and not the father.....

Old June 15th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #23
AJMarks
Squadron Leader

Mace Windu, now that's the one that I'm waiting for.
AJMarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #24
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I just got a message from Master Replicas saying that they are going to be releasing a Luke Skywalker A New Hope lightsaber prop...this is not an FX light up saber, but just the real nice hilt prop...

To be available for order on June 28th...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #25
Apollon

Master Replicas has released this saber hilt before as well as a Force FX version, although it was actually the one Luke used in the Empire Strikes Back. It would be cool if they made a .45 scale version of it. There are noticable differences between Anakin's lightsaber as it appears in Episode III and the saber given to Luke in Episode IV. There were even a few alterations done to the saber between Episodes IV and V. One can only assume that it was modified by Obi-Wan sometime after he settled on Tatooine and later modifed even further by Luke.

Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber from Episode III - Revenge of The Sith:

Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber as presented to Luke in Episode IV - A New Hope:

Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber as used by Luke Skywalker in Episode V - The Empire Stikes Back:

Both Episode III and Episode V props are by Master Replicas. As you can see they retain the same overall design, but are quite different. In order to maintain a reasonable amount of continuity to the story, one can imagine that the saber was modified by Obi-Wan to eliminate the "Sith" vibe it was given by Anakin after his fall to the dark side. I'm sure old Ben wouldn't want to give Luke an heirloom that was used to kill Jedi younglings without it being cleansed of negativity. Luke must have replaced a few knobs, switches and added screws to the hand grips before the events of Episode V.
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #26
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

The major thing about Luke's lightsabre from Episode IV is that it was basically a Graflex Flash Gun with a bit of grip tape on the "handle" and a chrome mylar bit of tape resembling polished steel (the long rectangular switch near the handle) and a bit of decoration. The flash gun as is is pretty much the whole thing. I had a friend that got one of the flash guns right after the original Star Wars film came out in 1977.

The later film versions are more gussied up versions that look better on film - I'm sure that they took a beating during filming.

The Replicas are completely manufactured from the get-go and are more sturdy and look more like it was made as a lightsabre, not as something else being used as a prop.

The pictures are excellent when compared to one another, but when the lightsabre is on film, it's probably nearly impossible to tell one from another.

Best,
Bryan

Old June 24th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #27
JupiterPrime
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmentary
"You'll put your eye out"
I have a hard time belieing people are dropping top $$$ for these - but to each there own
JupiterPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #28
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterPrime
I have a hard time belieing people are dropping top $$$ for these - but to each there own
Like someone said, if I can afford it, why not? I have a friend that paid 250 for a LOTR helmet (like she's gonna wear it) and an expensive sword from the movie as well. So, why not?

If it was gonna come between me and poverty, it'd be different and I never do anything just for myself. My mom calls it "treating myself" I just call it a belated birthday present for myself.

I haven't dropped the money yet..... When I ordered it, I assumed that the manufacturer had them in stock, but they aren't releasing them until sometime this summer. All I have is a pre-order confirmation to keep me warm - meh....

I guess that I'll have to go and buy the Joyride Galactica figures of Starbuck and Apollo. I was in the mood for something new for my display shelf...

Best,
Bryan

Old June 26th, 2005, 03:40 AM   #29
TopGun
Strike Leader

I for one would love to own some of the LOTR swords, they're beauts