Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:56 PM   #1
admiralmcknight
Shuttle Pilot

Cool BSG-75 flight ops

I was over at the Sci-Fi BBS for the new BSG and someone came up with a good point... the flight decks on BSG-75. Are they the older through-deck version or are they sealed up on the bow end?

I like how the deck operations are set up on BSG-75. A lot like a USN aircraft carrier. I've been on the Enterprise once and I can tell you that it's rather realistic in portaying carrier operations. I like the "rail-gun" catapults and the engines on the fighters not at full until they're clear. And the idea of a hangar deck on Galactica is a good one.

Also, when Kara and Lee crashed on the Galactica's port flight deck, did they end up in the starboard bulkhead or all the way forward where the deck meets the hull (They made it aboard when the flight decks were being retracted)? I can't tell from the angle it's filmed.

What does everybody think?

Old January 2nd, 2004, 07:15 PM   #2
beeker
Bad Email Address

Default Re: BSG-75 flight ops

Quote:
Originally posted by admiralmcknight
Also, when Kara and Lee crashed on the Galactica's port flight deck, did they end up in the starboard bulkhead or all the way forward where the deck meets the hull (They made it aboard when the flight decks were being retracted)? I can't tell from the angle it's filmed.

What does everybody think?

It looked to me that they crashed into the fore end of the landing bay. It looked like they only stopped because the bays were retracted.
beeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 07:36 PM   #3
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

I kind of agree with Beeker. It looks like the fore end of the Port flight deck. From what I remember, Starbuck's "approach" was from the left/port side of the Galactica.

I also agree with AdmiralMcKnight that the flight deck operations look alot like a US carrier. However, when Starbuck / Apollo crashed into the flight deck, I was half expecting to see some kind of safety barrier to "catch" them. I understand that the flight deck was retracted, but still, what a way to stop your forward progress by crashing into a wall.

baafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:11 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Now that you mentioned it, I'm wondering how they missed crashing into all the other vipers that were on the landing deck....

:confused:

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:17 PM   #5
admiralmcknight
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by baafan
I kind of agree with Beeker. It looks like the fore end of the Port flight deck. From what I remember, Starbuck's "approach" was from the left/port side of the Galactica.

I also agree with AdmiralMcKnight that the flight deck operations look alot like a US carrier. However, when Starbuck / Apollo crashed into the flight deck, I was half expecting to see some kind of safety barrier to "catch" them. I understand that the flight deck was retracted, but still, what a way to stop your forward progress by crashing into a wall.

Could be that the safety barrier was out of action when the deck had taken a couple of missile hits... ?

Also, when I watched the battle between the Galactica and the Cylons, there were bubbles in the anti-aircraft guns. Are people ACTUALLY in them??!! If so, that REALLY harkens back to the old Essex -class carriers of WWII (Lexington , Yorktown , Intrepid , and Hornet )!

In fact, the ship sort of reminds me of the old Essex -class carriers. I can't wait to see BSG-75 in action again!

PS-- Anyone got a Lightwave 7.0 mesh of the new carrier?
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:18 PM   #6
admiralmcknight
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by conundrum7g
Now that you mentioned it, I'm wondering how they missed crashing into all the other vipers that were on the landing deck....

Luck???????

Good point! I don't think they could have cleared the entire flight deck in time.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:13 AM   #7
The Rain
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by conundrum7g

Watch the scene again. Starbuck flew the Vipers over the other Vipers then set them down which it seemed to me was why they didn't slow down until they hit the aft wall.
The Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 04:03 AM   #8
CrysWimmer

Default Transport

What I want to know is how they managed to move the Vipers from one bay to the other to get them launched in the first place. Somehow, I just don't think there's still a gift shop in that launching bay.

Seriously though, those aren't featherweight craft, and I didn't see any wheels anywhere. Ideas?

-Crys-
Old January 3rd, 2004, 06:00 PM   #9
admiralmcknight
Shuttle Pilot

Cool New observations on BSG flight ops

Upon reviewing the battle on VHS, it looks like the Galactica has a through deck flight deck, a la the old Essex -class carriers. So, when Lee and Kara crashed, they must have hit the forward hull bulkhead where the flight deck meets the hull when the deck is retracted. That's my guess.

As of flying over the other fighters... looks like Kara got REAL lucky and missed them all. Good spot of flying overall.

Any guesses as to the anti-aircraft guns? Are they manned or are they not?

Old January 3rd, 2004, 06:11 PM   #10
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Default anti-aircraft guns

see http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...&threadid=5651
Old January 3rd, 2004, 06:35 PM   #11
admiralmcknight
Shuttle Pilot

Default RE: anti-aircraft guns

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Marley
see http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...&threadid=5651
Kewl! So, they are manned!

I wonder about the original... was she a through-deck or not?
Old January 3rd, 2004, 09:23 PM   #12
admiralmcknight
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: Transport

Quote:
Originally posted by CrysWimmer
What I want to know is how they managed to move the Vipers from one bay to the other to get them launched in the first place. Somehow, I just don't think there's still a gift shop in that launching bay.

Seriously though, those aren't featherweight craft, and I didn't see any wheels anywhere. Ideas?

-Crys-
I'd like to know that too.... must be a loading area or corridor that both decks connect to and were able to move the fighters through. The retirement ceremony was in the starboard flight deck and it looks like there were some sort of protective shielding covering the openings, therefore allowing the area to be pressurized. By the end of the mini, I would think they've done away with that!

Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:39 PM   #13
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Should the bean counters decide that Scifi can afford a series, I'd bet she'll be a two-deck battlestar again.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:09 PM   #14
BenRoethig
Just Lost My Cherry!

The pods have to be deck through for the liner to take off. There's no room to turn around and I doubt it has any thrust reversers.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #15
Bombadil

The flight decks definitely are open front and back. It is not clear how the openings are sealed when the pods are retracted in the new Galactica. But it appears that Starbuck and Apollo come to rest against the side of the landing pod (are those entry ways for the catapult tubes?) yet the lines painted on the deck indicate that their momentum remains primarily forward, with only a slight sideways skid. But I don't think there are any catapults facing forward, even though the fore-and-aft oriented lines come to an end, without curving, against the wall where the Vipers come to rest. That whole scene is confusing. I would like to see a flight deck diagram, with a little "Starbuck and Apollo are here" star, to map out where they came to rest.
Old January 28th, 2004, 07:26 AM   #16
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by admiralmcknight

PS-- Anyone got a Lightwave 7.0 mesh of the new carrier?
Haven't seen any...but like the display screen shots posted at gateworld.net:

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #17
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

They hit an interior bulkhead inside the landing bay. They couldn't have hit the aft end of the "arrowhead" portion of the ship because there is too much space between the landing bay and the main body of the ship with the pods retracted.

Colonial 1 would be able to back out of the landing bay using manevering thrusters
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:04 PM   #18
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

I just finished waching the tape and Thomasbombadil is 100% right. I was waaaay out in left field on this one.
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:16 PM   #19
Rowan
On Vacation...

Forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology for describing the ship (hopefully I can learn this before too long). The impression I get is that the deck is double layered the lower deck is where they have the launch tubes and the deck crew, and above them is the landing bay. I say that because when Apollo lands for the first time his approach is the same one we see when Starbuck rescues him from the end of the pod. But when the vipers are going out to fight they leave from a completely different place they go out from the side of the pod. Also when Apollo lands that first time you see him “park” the viper and the whole deck area he landed on begins to drop down at least that’s what it looked like to me.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:06 PM   #20
Rowan
On Vacation...

I decided to check out the draft script for some inspiration/clarification

On page 17 of the draft script they explain the decks organization this way

In reference to the scene of Apollo’s first landing:

“Viper begins heading in toward the port landing bay”

“From the Galactica landing bay, we see the viper slide side to side as the pilot locks in on the proper angle to make it inside the flight deck”

“From the LSO station we can see the viper has stopped in a large red chequered square which is an elevator Kelly (captain) says "viper 450, skids down, mag lock secure"

Next scene: "the elevator descends to Galactica hangar bay's enormous, cavernous spaces where space craft are moved about and parked before and after flight operations. Various vipers are parked in different configurations. Large airlock doors run the length of the bay and lead to launch tubes and interior doors which lead to the repair shops."

I think this helps a little, I’ll see if there is anything on the Starbuck landing

Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:15 AM   #21
Rowan
On Vacation...

inquring minds want to know...
with regards to Starbuck/Apollo's crash on the deck, the draft sript ( and in this case it's not an exact rendition of the scene in the movie) says (p.89 of the second part)
" They skid and screech accross the deck, flip once and finally stopping on the far side."
with regards to FTL flight and the way the Galactica looks in regards to retracted pods before jump and protracted after jump the only reference they make is the following (same page): "Galactic jumps and we (collapse scene to...) As the ship unfolds in space"
that's all for now folks