Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #31
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Well, I decided to start over from scratch my model of Galactica.

I'm going to try and add better detail and actually try to model her more accurately.
But trying to juggle a full time job and being a parent of two, kinda cuts into my fun time.
I work all day on computers, just to come home and do it again. You get were I'm going.
Maybe I should move my computer to the garage. I can then have my Cigar and model at the same time. Hmmmm
Anyhew, I sort of quickly created my new CG Galactica.





I'm currently working on the detail of the hull plating and all the little things that go around the hull.
I've learned a few new texturing techniques... So I will be appling those as I go.

She may not be as accruate as I would like, but due to time constraints and me being impatient and wanting to animate right away.
Maybe, one day, I can be a big time movie producer... I can then consentrate of modeling full time. Whew, that would be cool!

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #32
gmd3d
Major
 
gmd3d's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,073

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Well, I decided to start over from scratch my model of Galactica.

I'm going to try and add better detail and actually try to model her more accurately.
But trying to juggle a full time job and being a parent of two, kinda cuts into my fun time.
I work all day on computers, just to come home and do it again. You get were I'm going.
Maybe I should move my computer to the garage. I can then have my Cigar and model at the same time. Hmmmm
Anyhew, I sort of quickly created my new CG Galactica.





I'm currently working on the detail of the hull plating and all the little things that go around the hull.
I've learned a few new texturing techniques... So I will be appling those as I go.

She may not be as accruate as I would like, but due to time constraints and me being impatient and wanting to animate right away.
Maybe, one day, I can be a big time movie producer... I can then consentrate of modeling full time. Whew, that would be cool!

the new one looks better ..

but still not quite right if you want to be more accurate ... what refs are you using ...... and remind me again what program your using
__________________
Formally Taranis
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #33
maudib
Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 170

Default Re: CG Galactica

I know how you feel trying to find some quality time to sit down at the computer and do modeling. I personally use the hours of time usually spent (wasted) watching mindless TV shows ( excluding BSG of course) to work on my model. You have some good ideas on your models, don't rush the project.
maudib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #34
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
the new one looks better ..

and remind me again what program your using
I'm using 3ds Max.

Your right about it not being accurate... I googled some blueprints and just saved a couple of the blueprints that first popped up. and used those as reference.
Because i'm a bit impatient... I just created a low poly model and through on some texture maps.

I'm really looking into lightwave.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #35
Andromeda
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: CG Galactica

computer in the garage, sounds like a good idea

Have you got the studio model reference pics, there's about 500 photos of the original studio model somewhere for download cant remember where the site was.

look forward to seeing the rebuild

cheers
  Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:28 AM   #36
gmd3d
Major
 
gmd3d's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,073

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
I'm using 3ds Max.

Your right about it not being accurate... I googled some blueprints and just saved a couple of the blueprints that first popped up. and used those as reference.
Because i'm a bit impatient... I just created a low poly model and through on some texture maps.

I'm really looking into lightwave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
computer in the garage, sounds like a good idea

Have you got the studio model reference pics, there's about 500 photos of the original studio model somewhere for download cant remember where the site was.

look forward to seeing the rebuild

cheers
I can understand that but I have learned to spend time getting the over all shape right as I can.. it save the pain later

here are some links ,, first up is the bast Reference your going to find. for BSG.... by one of our member here 137th Gebirg aka Jim Stevenson
http://www.shipschematics.net/bsg/im...estar_nova.jpg

Public Domain Pictures of the Big G
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=4124

you can download lightwave and try it out for a month ..
__________________
Formally Taranis
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:46 AM   #37
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Here is an update on my CG Galactica.

I started adding some detail to the hull... Just using my imagination.

Thanks Taranus for the reference pics... Very helpful.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:57 AM   #38
gmd3d
Major
 
gmd3d's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,073

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Here is an update on my CG Galactica.

I started adding some detail to the hull... Just using my imagination.

Thanks Taranus for the reference pics... Very helpful.

any time ..

and its Taranis not Taranus ...
__________________
Formally Taranis
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #39
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

oops, my bad Taranis.

It was a late night and I didn't pay attention to what I was typing.

Anyhew, I've been spending a couple days creating "stuff". Little things for the hull, to give it a busy look.
I'll probably fill in the rest with some greebles. But in the mean time. Here she is.






I also made a turbo laser to go with my laser cannon.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #40
gmd3d
Major
 
gmd3d's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,073

Default Re: CG Galactica

No problem ....... the updates look good ,, the cannons add nicely to the scale
__________________
Formally Taranis
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #41
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
No problem ....... the updates look good ,, the cannons add nicely to the scale
Hey Thanks... Nice to know my work is appreciated. I just wish I could spend more time doing it.

Here is my latest update. I threw on more detail and started working on the rear reactors.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #42
gmd3d
Major
 
gmd3d's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,073

Default Re: CG Galactica

ah your tackling the pipes and other bits and pieces
__________________
Formally Taranis
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #43
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Well I created the reactor lines. They aren't pretty, but I don't think the ones from the original were either.







Think I'll take a break for a couple days, then get back on it.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #44
Limerickcot
Shuttle Pilot
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 68

Default Re: CG Galactica

It is nice. But shouldn't that central strut on the pods be lower down the hull side?
Limerickcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #45
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerickcot View Post
shouldn't that central strut on the pods be lower down the hull side?
Your right... It is...

I was going to fix that later... Currently I'm focusing on Hull detail. I'll probably get to fixing that over the weekend.
Pretty easy to fix, but I'm going to have to redo my UV mapping. Anytime I make a change to the mesh like that, it throws off the texture mapping.

Thanks.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #46
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

OK... So I did some tinkering... And I think I've got the hull plating down.

Oh and no... I haven't lowered the center arm connection yet.

It's all about greebles baby!






There are some places that I haven't assigned materials or texture mapped yet... So they look blank. No worries... They will eventually be filled in.

I'm re-doing the turbo laser... Adding a fancy pivot point to them.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #47
gmd3d
Major
 
gmd3d's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,073

Default Re: CG Galactica

looks good the new details
__________________
Formally Taranis
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #48
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Here is an update on my girl.

First image here shows some detail I added to the control tower, but color was wrong.

Second is a longer shot... Just wanted to show detail of the engines and what not.

Third, I corrected color of the control tower.

Fourth, shows close up of detail on control tower/command center



I know she isn't exactly the one on the show... I suppose if I had the time I would make her exactly like on the show. But I figured that I've already seen it done exactly like the one on the show and I wanted to add my own artistic take on the old girl.
I set the launch tubes below the landing deck.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #49
gmd3d
Major
 
gmd3d's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,073

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post


I know she isn't exactly the one on the show... I suppose if I had the time I would make her exactly like on the show. But I figured that I've already seen it done exactly like the one on the show and I wanted to add my own artistic take on the old girl.
I set the launch tubes below the landing deck.
looks great big improvement , I like that you have the launch tubes below the deck too .. its how I always thought it should be
__________________
Formally Taranis
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #50
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
looks great big improvement , I like that you have the launch tubes below the deck too .. its how I always thought it should be
Thanks... Yeah, I agree, I like having the launch tubes down a deck or two. I'm going to spend the weekend working on creating the landing deck and bay doors.

Wish me luck
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #51
gmd3d
Major
 
gmd3d's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,073

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Thanks... Yeah, I agree, I like having the launch tubes down a deck or two. I'm going to spend the weekend working on creating the landing deck and bay doors.

Wish me luck
Good luck
__________________
Formally Taranis
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #52
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Here is update on my project. I'm pretty much done with my version of Galactica...


I'm now working on the landing bay detail. I borrowed some ideas from Taranis's version. Oh and thanks Taranis for the tips. This is the landing deck, the launch tubes and service bay are going to be bellow deck.


First verison was basic modeling. Just to get the idea and shapes into place. The other two are textured with some lighting.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #53
gmd3d
Major
 
gmd3d's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,073

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Here is update on my project. I'm pretty much done with my version of Galactica...


I'm now working on the landing bay detail. I borrowed some ideas from Taranis's version. Oh and thanks Taranis for the tips. This is the landing deck, the launch tubes and service bay are going to be bellow deck.


First verison was basic modeling. Just to get the idea and shapes into place. The other two are textured with some lighting.
Good to see a new Galactica design been made....

No prob on the tips there free and disposable if not useful to you.. are you going to add more pipes and tubes to the ceiling area .. it starting to look good and busy there ...
__________________
Formally Taranis
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #54
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
.. are you going to add more pipes and tubes to the ceiling area .. it starting to look good and busy there ...

Yes... I'll be adding more pipes... I got hung up on the lighting... I was trying to figure out how I wanted to go about lighting the scene.

Setting up the pipes is tricky... I really had to figure out were I wanted to put them to give that busy look, but also I want to give them a functional look as well.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #55
gmd3d
Major
 
gmd3d's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,073

Default Re: CG Galactica

cool that the hard part I found
__________________
Formally Taranis
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:42 AM   #56
Andromeda
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: CG Galactica

you've been busy since i last looked. the G is looking good.
landing bays looking good also. what lighting are you using for your bays

cheers
  Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:34 AM   #57
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
what lighting are you using for your bays
For now I'm just using omni lights... I thought about using volume light to give it a bit of effect, but I'm still debating on what lighting to use.
I picked Omni for now because it was quick and the shadows it casts reminded me of when I used to work in a garage.

More than likely I'll be throwing in some more lighting and detail. I just wanted to through something in for now.

Thanks for the compliments and thanks for the advise you gave regarding the greebles and what not.

Cheers
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM   #58
Limerickcot
Shuttle Pilot
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 68

Default Re: CG Galactica

Oh, but you've done this nicely.
Limerickcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:17 AM   #59
Matador
Viper Pilot
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 364

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerickcot View Post
Oh, but you've done this nicely.

Thanks... Here is an update... I've been fooling around with the lighting, tyring to get more dramatic lighting...

I also added a few extra details in the texture of the landing strip and I put little caution stripes on the floor. They aren't quite right, but I'll fix it later.



I've got few days off for the holidays, so I'm going to be adding more stuff, like service elevators.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:20 AM   #60
gmd3d
Major
 
gmd3d's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,073

Default Re: CG Galactica

not bad at all .. keep them coming .

its a interesting direction you taking this
__________________
Formally Taranis
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWS: Colonial Newsletter - 12/21/2003 StarshipTrooper The Colonial Newsletter Archives 9 March 12th, 2004 04:49 PM
NEWS: Colonial Newsletter - 11/12/2003 StarshipTrooper The Colonial Newsletter Archives 7 November 12th, 2003 09:16 PM
NEWS: Colonial Newsletter - 06/05/2003 StarshipTrooper The Colonial Newsletter Archives 5 June 5th, 2003 06:41 PM
NEWS: Colonial Newsletter - 04/03/2003 StarshipTrooper The Colonial Newsletter Archives 6 April 3rd, 2003 10:07 PM
NEWS: Colonial Newsletter - 03/04/2003 StarshipTrooper The Colonial Newsletter Archives 5 March 4th, 2003 07:31 AM




So sez our Muffit!!!

For fans of the Classic Battlestar Galactica series



COPYRIGHT
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 AM. Contact the Fleet - Colonial Fleets - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.11, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content and Graphics ©2000-Present Colonial Fleets
The Colonial Fleets Forums are run by Battlestar Galactica fans, paid for by Battlestar Galactica fans, for the enjoyment of fellow Battlestar Galactica fans.



©2000-2008 Colonial Fleets