Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old April 20th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #1
Antelope

Default The Swan

Anyone watch or have an opinion on the new Fox network show "The Swan"?

The whole concept appalled me although my wife likes the show. I don't mind watching the last 15 minutes. I feel sorry for the women on the show but am happy to see their lives seemed genuinely improved.

I fear however that many woman who have no real issues will seek out plastic surgeons after watching the show.

I understand the nose jobs and teeth issues on the show. I do think every woman doesn't need a D cup to be attractive. I am not an advocate of putting foreign material in the human body if it can be avoided.
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #2
Rowan
On Vacation...

Well antelope I agree with everything you just said
Yes I watched one show and could not bring myself to watch again, last 15 minutes works for me.
The idea of it appaled me, I don't think they appreciate the emotional or psychological impact they are playing with for these women
I was happy that it did seem to make their lives better
nose jobs and better teeth I can live with that
I'm very concerned it sends out the wrong impression to impressionable young people
women do not need a D cup to be attractive! Nice to hear a man say it though, antelope thanks! I wish more men did.
foreign matterial in human body is not a healthy choice!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I kinda cringe at the idea of plastic surgery.

I can understand it in the case of fixing a horrible accident. Or a deformity.

but it isn't "plastic" you are carving and slicing.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 11:06 AM   #4
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

If they didn't have a beauty pageant at the end and instead were just trying to help these poor women who have such incredibly low self-esteem for a number of reasons (not just physical) then I guess I wouldn't be so appalled.

But to go through life feeling like you're not pretty and to endure multiple life-changing (and very serious) surgeries, only to be told that they still not pretty enough? How is that helping them?

I supppose just helping them without any competition wouldn't sell as well as the contest idea did, though. (Or is that just cynical little me, being cynical again?)

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 11:28 AM   #5
cranky1c
Warrior

Self Righteous Rant Alert:

I try to be good humored about this stuff, it's just televison after all, but this bothers me. Sorry in advance.

The idea that a little plastic surgery is going to make anything but the most temporary and superficial difference in a persons life is ridiculous. This feels like the most exploitive bit of BS I've ever seen. "No, you're not good enough, but we'll make you good enough by going under the knife on national television." Nothing like taking advantage of emotionally vulnerable people and capitalizaing on their low self esteem for the purpose of entertainment. That's just sick. What kind of message does this send to girls? "You just need to be beautiful and all your problems will go away." Forget counselling. Forget thinking about changes that make a lasting differences. Forget the hard work of looking at yourself and working on what's under the skin. Buncha crap.....
cranky1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 12:18 PM   #6
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Absolutely agree that it is BS, cranky1c, but these women believe that it will help them, so maybe it will. I know that the power of positive thinking is a cliche, but sometimes if you feel that you are beautiful on the inside then you start to feel that you are beautiful on the outside and vice versa.

I am tired of people, especially women, being held to an impossible body standard because a few celebrities have nothing better to do than spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on making themselves physically beautiful through surgery, starvation and single-minded adherence to grueling workouts. It certainly doesn't make them better people.

But, that said, some people do need that feeling of outward beauty to feel OK about themselves. It is a sad but true fact of our society. I could stand to lose a few pounds, but I still feel happy with myself because I like who I am. Some people will never be that happy in their own skin. I approve of doing what you need to do to feel better about yourself, so long as no one else gets hurt. I don't think surgery, or this ridiculous pageant, will solve their problems, but they do feel that way, so who am I to judge?

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

Old April 21st, 2004, 12:34 PM   #7
bsg1fan1975
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1c
Self Righteous Rant Alert:

I try to be good humored about this stuff, it's just televison after all, but this bothers me. Sorry in advance.

The idea that a little plastic surgery is going to make anything but the most temporary and superficial difference in a persons life is ridiculous. This feels like the most exploitive bit of BS I've ever seen. "No, you're not good enough, but we'll make you good enough by going under the knife on national television." Nothing like taking advantage of emotionally vulnerable people and capitalizaing on their low self esteem for the purpose of entertainment. That's just sick. What kind of message does this send to girls? "You just need to be beautiful and all your problems will go away." Forget counselling. Forget thinking about changes that make a lasting differences. Forget the hard work of looking at yourself and working on what's under the skin. Buncha crap.....
I agree with using this method only to fix something that happened from a horrible and tragic accident but to do this just cause you have a low self image of yourself is down right stupid.

I am not a knockout and I am not afraid to admit it. I am pretty though. But that is superficial and not what got me to where I am today. Beauty, as the old cliche goes, is only skin deep.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:22 PM   #8
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Yeah, bigger isn't better, so says I =).

I wouldn't mind getting my teeth fixed - everything else, though (in the face, lol) can stay as is (unless I lose weight, in which case, I might consider skin removal.... maybe.........)

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:23 PM   #9
bsg1fan1975
Major

I like who am. My motto is "If it ain't broke I don't need any repairs!"

Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:28 PM   #10
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I could use some lasik surgery. I had a physical the other day and they asked me to take my glasses off and tell me which line I could read. I said, "I can't even see the wall, never mind a letter!"

Thank goodness for contact lenses.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:34 PM   #11
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Nice motto, BSG! =)

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:36 PM   #12
bsg1fan1975
Major

thanks rhonda!

Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:11 PM   #13
kitty
Bad Email Address

We have not yet had the "joy" of that program over here, although we did have that complete body makeover show, where they do everything.
Each to their own, for most part I aggree with you lot. In Britain, we do not worry about dental cosmetics. The majority have crooked teeth, so its the norm.
I was lucky, mine are not too bad. One day I may consider plastic surgery on my boobs. But not to enlarge them, but to reduce them. I am a 34FF, I am not over weight, and men tend to veiw me as a Barbie doll. They talk to my chest rather than my face. I am told that I am pretty, so I would not have anything done to my face.
You have to learn to make the best of what you have.
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:44 PM   #14
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Men are supposed to look at your face when they talk to you?! Seriously?! You learn something new every day!

As for size, I have no idea what the conversion rate is for UK to US, so you have me either stumped or stunned on that one!

Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:50 PM   #15
kitty
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowhoandwhy
Men are supposed to look at your face when they talk to you?! Seriously?! You learn something new every day!

As for size, I have no idea what the conversion rate is for UK to US, so you have me either stumped or stunned on that one!
34 inches on the ribs just under the boob, as for cup size, bloody huge! Way more than a handful! The cup sizes are probably the same.
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:42 AM   #16
bsg1fan1975
Major

i am just happy the way I am. i think if i thought about changing anymore than just my hair color my guy would get ticked at me!

Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:24 AM   #17
Proximo
Commodore
The Andorian Simpson

All I can say is,if anyone is contemplating anything more than a nip and tuck, just look at Jacko...
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:28 PM   #18
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If there were any cringing smilies I would use one of those. Jacko really is wacko.

I love your sig, Proximo. He spoke at my graduation way back when...

Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:37 PM   #19
Proximo
Commodore
The Andorian Simpson

Oh, that must have been a good talk. I had Brian Blessed at mine. Great fun was had.
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote