Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old September 1st, 2003, 03:56 PM   #1
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Battlestar Galactica 1978 G80-03: Spaceball

Series stars: Lorne Greene, Kent McCord, Bary Van Dyke, Robyn Douglass, Richard Lynch, Robbie Rist, Richard Eastman, Vernan Weddle, Herbert Jefferson Jr., Patrick Stuart, Allan Miller

Guest stars: Paul Koslo, Bert Rosario, Fred Holliday, Jeremy Brett

Called away on an urgent mission, Troy and Dillon set off to hunt down Xavier, leaving Lt. Nash with Jamie and the children. When their viper looses power they contact the Galactica, and discover there was no mission, and Lt. Nash is acually Xavier in disguise. The out of power viper strands them in space, drifting until the Galactica reaches them.
Jamie, meanwhile, is given a story to cover involving a camp for underprivileged children, that needs funding or it will close, and brings the Galactic’s children along with her. They get lured into a game of baseball to help save the camp, and Xavier uses them as barganing chips for his freedom. But due to some quick thinking by Jamie, they win the game, and she saves the children from both Xavier and the Air Force, and some quick repairs by Troy and Dillon brings them back in time to save her from Xavier, but unfortunately, he gets away again.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #2
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

With the exception of the mini ........I would have to say
that this EP was among the WORST moments in SCIFI TV.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #3
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

my vote for worst sci fi ever expect for 2003 galactica mork from ork should have been on this one
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #4
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

my vote for worst sci fi ever expect for 2003 galactica mork from ork should have been on this one :cop:
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:11 AM   #5
Senmut
Strike Leader

How come launchcruiser7 got zapped?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Jubal
Warrior

Default Re: G80-03: Spaceball

Saw this tonight, and it was entertaining at least.

I had been avoiding this episode, but decided to check it out, get a recent memory of it.

The part I actually enjoyed was two things...

1) The actor who played Troy was actually an actor I enjoyed watching in... I wanted to say Emergency, (Looks... on internet) nope, Adam 12. Kent McChord. A good actor, and not bad as a Galactica hero.

2) The scene outside the viper doing repairs was pretty cool.

But yeh, having watched the first Battlestar Calisto fan movie and other fan movies, I have come to see Battlestar 1980 in a comical, almost watchable light.

The only thing I find annoying is how Adama seemed to loose his leadership edge with Z there to give advice. Oh well, I guess he was much older by then so maybe those commanding skills were getting a bit dull.

No Tigh eh? Actually miss him. Usually Tigh was the sounding board for Adama but Z seemed to fill that role, only in this case between Z and Adama Adama takes Tigh's old role.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Benedict
Warrior

The episode hurts my brain in the same way bad music does.

When I went through these back in 2010, I was very surprised to see Jeremy Brett here. Pre-Sherlock Holmes but...Lords. Tragic.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Jubal
Warrior

But the spacewalk to me brings up some interesting points:

1) They put on a spacesuit before the space walk. I'm sure it was not easy getting the suit on in the small space they had but doable. But what I wonder if, why would they not be in the space suit to begin with? If in combat at the canopy was fractured, they would be fracked.

Perhaps they give up the space suit to keep it less cumbersome?

Maybe the reimagined wondered this too and that is why they have more of a regular suit. However, we have recently seen in Blood and Crome in the first part with the dogfight simulator if the canopy was blown with the suit they would be open to the radiation.

2) Back to the regular suit (non spacesuit) what is the advantage of lighting the helmet? I know this has been asked before, but what did everyone come up with? We have seen the face lit helmets in Battlestar, Tron, Alien and a few other sci-fi movies. Great for lighting up the actors face, but wouldn't that also kill their night vision since the outside would be dark and there would light all around their face?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:30 AM   #9
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Back to the regular suit (non spacesuit) what is the advantage of lighting the helmet? I know this has been asked before, but what did everyone come up with? We have seen the face lit helmets in Battlestar, Tron, Alien and a few other sci-fi movies. Great for lighting up the actors face, but wouldn't that also kill their night vision since the outside would be dark and there would light all around their face?
I always assumed it was to show a force field.
One of those TV/Film assumptions like gravity and aerobatics

cheers,
Lara
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Jubal
Warrior

Hmmm, yeh I was reading something lately where the flight uniform supposedly worked to help the Viper pilot against the crushing gravity and G-Forces of piloting the craft. Maybe in a minor way the force field around the face helped with breathing or was part of that protective gear?