Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 4th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #1
Count Iblis
Shuttle Pilot

Default New Cylons Question Their Programing?

I thought it was interesting to see the "Cylon" female human impersonator have conflicts with her original programing in her dealings and close association with "Baltar".

This is so different than anything we have learned/seen about the "Cylons" and their interactions with "Colonial Humans" in the past/TOS of "Battlestar Galactica".

I can't help but wonder if part of this "Idea" came from R.M. and his past association with "Data" on STNG, with regard to his always having a conflict with trying to become more human while being an android?

It occurred to me that R.M. and his writers might be setting up the "Cylons" down the road for some "Traitors" of their own that might start to see co-existence is not only possible with Humans, but sometimes "Pleasurable" as in the case of the "Cylon" that is having a relationship with "Baltar".

Maybe the device found on the "Galactica" bridge isn't there to watch/hear the Humans as much as it's there to keep track of all of the "Infiltration" units and their loyalties to the "Imperius Leader" and the collective destruction of the Colonies/Humans? I keep trying to figure out why any "Cylon" device, other than a "Bomb" would have been planted on the "Galactica" bridge, and haven't come up with anything other than my aforementioned (WEAK) theory.

Frankly I have mixed feelings about the new "Infiltration" units that look human, because I liked the TOS concept of finality without negotiation in the "Cylon" enemy. It was cut and dry that "ALL" of the Cylons without exception wanted only one thing, that being the total destruction of Man.

Any Thoughts on This?

"You will see your father...the legendary commander Cain again"......Count Iblis/TOS
Count Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #2
Ethan
Bad Email Address

Default "Cylon Infiltrators

Frankly, I am really suspicious of the Cylon Infiltrators on the new series.

Data was a character that we all sorta liked from the get go. It was not hard to encourage him to be more human or "humanly bad" to create plotlines. It would be impossible for "Six" however, to win my trust. An infiltrator situation that turned pro-human would only remind me of the "Fifth Column" movement from "V". Also, trust seems to be an issue with the BSG fans, so anyone viewing the series would have to go to extrordinary lengths to find trust in one of the Cylons as far as the plotline goes. This is just my opinion, thats all.

As far as "Six" goes, I would only construe anything "good" (pro-human?) she does as being some part of an underhanded double spy type of plan. No matter what she says or does pro-human in the series, I wouldn't believe it.

Ethan
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #3
nccdee
Warrior

Won't that be a bit of irony...Human build the Cylon and the Cylon turn on them. The Cylon build the Cylon-Human and the Cylon-Human turn on their creators.

As for the "device"...a deliberate mystery. I think RM did a great job at putting in a lot of loose end in the mini. There was an outcry about the "baby killing" scene but RM has said that it was important and the relavence of it will come in the series. The note about the number of model left in Adama room is another. And there other mysteries. Does Baltar really know how to detect Cylon-Human? Is #6 a figment of Baltar's imagination or is she really a chip inside his head? What about Boomer? And we really don't know anything about the "real" Cylon, ie. what happen to them after the Armistice, who the leaders are, if they are being influence by outside source and so.

nccdee
nccdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #4
Antelope

These are all great post and the reason why I am looking forward to the series.

What was that device? I even thought the removal of the device might initiate some kind of homing beacon. Everything Cylon 6 has done can be taken both ways. Did she rid the Galactica of that cylon or did she help him get off? Did Boomer unluckily land on Caprica or was it all part of a plan? If it was part of a plan, is Boxey a part of the plan? Is he a human-cylon? Did the Galactica escape or was it spared by someone? The scene on the armistice station has meaning but what is it (I think it relates to Boxey)? Are the human-cylons machines or real humans?

I think Moore's inspiration for the human-cylons may come from a few areas. In BSG1980 there is an episode that introduces human-cylons. Obviously Glen Larson thought of them. What he put in writing on the subject or if he ever spoke on the matter and what of this Moore read or heard who knows but the concept is a 23 year old Battlestar Galactica concept predating Data and the Seven of Nine. As a Star Trek writer I think Moore of course must be influenced by the concept of Seven of Nine in particular and to a lesser extent Data. In addition as a writer, the concept of cultural loyalty versus birth race goes well back in history and is the basist of the most famous Colonial American story "Last of the Mohicans" by James Fenimoore Cooper. A few weeks prior to the mini I saw an American Indian based movie where they had a story of an Indian named Tejas who was an anglo by birth but was captured and raised as an Indian. The concept of what you are and proving your loyatly was a strong theme in that movie. The idea of what happened in the past 40 years is an interesting thought. All we know is that the cylons went in to Deep Space. There is an unlimited potential to explain what happened.