Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:47 PM   #271
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

I think we need to do something different to what we've done before.

I don't want to knock other people's ideas, not at all, but a repeat of CFF won't, in my humble opinion, move us any further forward. I'm sure it is known that there is a core fanbase of TOS fans. A magazine advert tells them that, but I'm sure they already know we exist ! Thousands of fans texting one particular person is likely to annoy them !

We need to remind the general public how good TOS was, in an enjoyable way, which we haven't done before.
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #272
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post
Thousands of fans texting one particular person is likely to annoy them !
The key is unique and verifiiable - multiple cell phones or email addresses going to a particular destination that is "in-house", as opposed to signing a petition at a website operated by some transparent individual that know one has ever seen.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM   #273
newt
Warrior

Well.

It has been over three years since I logged on here, and probably more like seven since I was a regular poster. To those who remember me, hello. To those who don't, hello

To paraphrase "GINO", what has happened before will happen again. And what has happened before was rumors, hopes, and so on. I was quite active many years ago supporting a revival of Galactica. I really thought that either Hatch or DeSanto was giing to create a successful project.

Moore's Galactica turned out pretty good. I thought the series finale was decent. Although a part of me was hoping for an alternate universe type ending where we would see the old Galactica... In some odd way, though, the series ending did leave a loophole for TOS to interact with Moore's.

Anyway, bottom line about these Galactica rumors: I'll believe it when I see it. Really, the time to do it has been squandered...what would it have been like to have John Colicos as Baltar again...and, let's face it, Hatch and Benedict ain;t gonna be zipping around in Vipers anymore.

But I suppose a rumor may lead to something.

N
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:12 PM   #274
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Newt!

Welcome back!!

Dang it, it's been a long time.... regardless, it's good to see you again!

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:41 PM   #275
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'm digging the caramel popcorn idea. They'll love us!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM   #276
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

An campaign must always be exciting and fresh, if you don't do that then you'll fall into the Save Enterprise pit and it hurts big time because i hate to say it but SE used the same playbook too many times (often without choice) and it cost supporters and new ones were hard to find and bang SE collapsed.

Has anybody considered Facebook as a campaign avenue? millions of people join groups everyday and TOS Galactica groups are not exactly in plentiful supply so you could form a group and link sites and pictures and videos etc and that could bring in new people to the forums and sites in the Galactica fan universe.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:43 PM   #277
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I've run a Myspace group for the original series for a few years now and it doesn't really get a lot of attention beyond the people who post there. Its one of the bigger BSG groups on myspace. There have been some...interesting times there.

There are a few I belong to on Facebook. Any ideas on how to make 'em stand out?

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM   #278
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

Support from other sites, for example i got a Enterprise news group called Enterprise News Today on Facebook and Myspace and it gives Enterprise fans the latest possible news and on the front we mention Trekhorizons.com as a place we support etc and on Trekhorizons.com a Enterprise news piece comes from E.N.T and virtually it is you cover my back i'll cover yours and yeah as more groups see you they promote and you promote back and it spreads as everyone gets to know about each others existence.

Yes it is sort of like links on your standard website but on Facebook if you put your supported sites in the news section it is the first thing a visitor will see and that could help.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM   #279
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Letter writing is a nice idea - has the human touch - but, look around. How many of us are here, at any given time? Even the total number of members (1500+), is a spit in the bucket.

Online petitions suffer from lack of credibility. A person could go by an infinite number of names and sign the petition with each.

What you need is something that will reach as many as possible and ask them to do something as easy as possible.

Example:

Produce an advertisement in a popular magazine which asks folks to send a text message or an email to a particular cell phone # or email address (like the president of Universal Studio) that you know will be seen by the intended party.
I agree with what you said about online petitions.
Maybe we can all get together and draft an advertisement. We could also post it on the net as well.
How about an official adverstisement designed by the members at Colonial Fleets?
Good idea?

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM   #280
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Warrior View Post
Support from other sites, for example i got a Enterprise news group called Enterprise News Today on Facebook and Myspace and it gives Enterprise fans the latest possible news and on the front we mention Trekhorizons.com as a place we support etc and on Trekhorizons.com a Enterprise news piece comes from E.N.T and virtually it is you cover my back i'll cover yours and yeah as more groups see you they promote and you promote back and it spreads as everyone gets to know about each others existence.

Yes it is sort of like links on your standard website but on Facebook if you put your supported sites in the news section it is the first thing a visitor will see and that could help.
I belong to a support site at myspace.
I'm not on facebook.
I don't know if there is one there, but, I'm going to take a look and join up.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM   #281
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athene View Post
I agree with what you said about online petitions.
Maybe we can all get together and draft an advertisement. We could also post it on the net as well.
How about an official adverstisement designed by the members at Colonial Fleets?
Good idea?
How about this one :

http://www.battlestarfanfilms.com/cinescape.jpg

Anyone recognise it ?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM   #282
Athene
Galactica's Princess

How about creating a site at ning?
There's TREKSPACE for example.
We could start a site about TOS BSG.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:39 AM   #283
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post
How about this one :

http://www.battlestarfanfilms.com/cinescape.jpg

Anyone recognise it ?
I forgot about that one!

Thanks! for the reminder.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM   #284
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21
I think the bummer is that we've tried online petitions and letter writing campaigns...and then we got Gino. That is at least why I think so many are not open to the idea.

That said, I can't see that it would hurt. Jericho sent nuts...smallville sent pencils during the strike...we should send something other than just letters. They tend to take notice when it something fun or surprising. The one thing they won't give us is time so they aren't going to read letters. However if a truck pulls up with thousands of nuts from a fan group it makes them raise an eyebrow.

What the heck could we send? Preferably in one big group and not individually. I was going to suggest Popcorn but that may open some old wounds!

GOOD!

I say reopen those old wounds, cos they messed up twice before. In not greenlighting Hatch's "Second Coming" as a continuation and then further still canning the Singer/DeSanto revival a mere 2 weeks before filming. Then having the former Sci-Fi Channel president trash the nearly completed sets* months later instead of saving them ('edit'- *although with nearly two weeks to go til actual filming would've begun, one wonders now, did DeSanto actually save any pictures in his folder of the practically completed Sets/Vipers?! You know? That one he likes to show to fans at conventions with never before seen pics?).

And yet we're still here? And why is that you ask, cos many of us would still want to see BSG done properly thats why!

The popcorn joke is something that fans originally wanted to go against Moore with. Well he had his shot at BSG, so here might be another opportunity to use this. Of course, somebody would have to dig up his old popcorn statement where Moore said all that jazz in those old magazines and whatnot, and put some small amount of popcorn on it or around a popcorn bucket/container and mail it in!

Maybe even add a reference to the campaign to save 'Jericho' with the "nuts" and possibly any other kind of fancy similar campaign by fans of other TV shows etc.

Just get everyone organised, put some popcorn with Moore's statement around it, with a From 1978 to ??? and we're still waiting for the 'Big budget' motion picture? etc and send it in. I think its kinda low-key in a good way, but also kinda rebelious by the BSG fans to want to grab the TPTB attention like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
I think we need to do something different to what we've done before.

I don't want to knock other people's ideas, not at all, but a repeat of CFF won't, in my humble opinion, move us any further forward. I'm sure it is known that there is a core fanbase of TOS fans. A magazine advert tells them that, but I'm sure they already know we exist ! Thousands of fans texting one particular person is likely to annoy them !

We need to remind the general public how good TOS was, in an enjoyable way, which we haven't done before.
Agreed 100% ernie!

But perhaps, getting an effort behind seeing BSG re-mastered and onto Blu-Ray HD-DVD is the way to go first, with CFF's help! And as i've stated in this thread before, possibly by making up 'Ads' like the CFF effort's Singer/DeSanto BSG ads would be the way to go. And making up a poster/i.e. wannabe-DVD advertisment ad with David Kerin's BSG fan edit images and a possible list of requirements that a special Blu-Ray HD-DVD project like this, would entail etc. And that such an effort wouldn't be a repeat of the previous BSG DVD's and would be packed with all-new extra features, be totally uncut for the first time with deleted scenes and be restored with all-new picture and audio and remastered in 5.1 or even 7.1!

Once CFF does something like that, with even a 'fake trailer' made up mostly with DK's CGI material in his BSG edits and tailored to be like a promotional What if request to Universal. Then later maybe, a letter writing campaign to Uni can begin again in unison by fans with a more focused effort, in getting that BSG motion picture deal finally inked.

And we'd also request that Tom DeSanto be a part of the revival to get a Galactica motion picture out; as 'Executive Producer', Glen Larson can be a 'Consultant' etc.

KJ
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #285
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason View Post

GOOD!

I say reopen those old wounds, cos they messed up twice before. In not greenlighting Hatch's "Second Coming" as a continuation and then further still canning the Singer/DeSanto revival a mere 2 weeks before filming. Then having the former Sci-Fi Channel president trash the nearly completed sets* months later instead of saving them ('edit'- *although with nearly two weeks to go til actual filming would've begun, one wonders now, did DeSanto actually save any pictures in his folder of the practically completed Sets/Vipers?! You know? That one he likes to show to fans at conventions with never before seen pics?).
How about making an online ad/video depicting that two chances have been let go and that this third chance should not be let go even though it is only rumor and it has come many times, somehow got to compile all this into one ad/video.
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #286
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Warrior View Post
How about making an online ad/video depicting that two chances have been let go and that this third chance should not be let go even though it is only rumor and it has come many times, somehow got to compile all this into one ad/video.
I think an online ad/video is a great idea.
A fan made trailer for the TOS BSG movie can also be made.
I've seen some really good ones at YouTube.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #287
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Whatever we do I think the only real stipulation is that we have to be respectful. That is how the Jericho thing worked. I know a lot of us would rather smack an exec than send them caramel pop corn, but I can quite positively say that one of those options will hurt our cause rather than help it in any way.

We could also send un popped pop corn for cheaper, but the popped stuff takes up more space!!! I just want them to think about us more than when it arrives. They'd probabaly pass out the caramel pop corn to the staff. Then everyone would want to know where it came from...and there we are!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #288
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

If there ever were, miracle of miracles a true continuation we could take pride in, I know I'd love to have us all send cases and cases of popcorn to Ron Moore as a metaphorical way of sticking it to him.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #289
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

(message deleted)

It just isn't worth the time. While I'm glad the new series ended on its own terms, and I enjoyed almost every single episode....that's the last I'm going to say of it.

Have fun bashing the new (concluded) series, contrary to the rules of this forum!

I'm out. While I hope a movie does arise (one that is truer to form of the original series), I cannot abide what's being permitted here.
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #290
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Yeah. Let's keep the conversation on pushing for a classic BSG project, not on sticking it to anybody, or dancing on a grave, OK?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #291
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Yeah. Let's keep the conversation on pushing for a classic BSG project, not on sticking it to anybody, or dancing on a grave, OK?

I am
Dawg
I 100% agree!
I'm here because I am TOS BSG fan and have been one for 30 years.
I am very passionate about TOS BSG and am here to talk about TOS BSG and a future TOS BSG movie.
'Nuff said.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #292
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

If I expressed something out of turn, I apologize for that (though I'm not about to apologize for feeling as I do that way on that particular matter). Some of us I think do view the end of that other show as a moment where some cathartic feelings need to be expressed, especially if we happen to be among those who think that there isn't much to hang any hopes on as far as a genuine continuation is concerned. What started out as a Larson "rumor" has more and more started to look just like the last set of "rumors" we tried to rally ourselves around before, and I for one don't like seeing hopes raised falsely once again or hearing suggestions about signing petitions when they never worked before and the Powers That Be only ratcheted up the levels of disrespect for the series we loved and its fanbase.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #293
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Well, I'm with you on that, Eric. But there are a lot of constructive thoughts being shared here that just might make the rumor of a new project of secondary importance.

We're talking about doing new writing, new fanfilms, getting some exposure to the classic BSG universe (and now is certainly the time we need positive entertainment). And we're talking about doing it out of our interest in the universe. In expanding the interest in the universe.

If we're ever going to see a studio-produced BSG effort (helmed by DeSanto or whomever), it will be because the suits will see the public interest.

This is a great thread, and it makes me very, very happy to read.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #294
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
Well said that man !!!!!

Old March 24th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #295
Athene
Galactica's Princess

I think that we can all agree that we're passionate about TOS BSG.
It's great to see fan films, fan made trailers, fan fiction and artwork and many other projects.
There's definitely an interest and a very, very strong one for TOS BSG.
It would be wonderful to see a TOS BSG movie.
I also wanted to say THANK YOU for sites like this one that keep TOS BSG alive and well.
Long Live TOS BSG!

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #296
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:

I am
Dawg
Well said!

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #297
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

With the interest in fan films i am pulling my very very basic animation production (using Macromedia Flash) out of the hard drive abyss and work on it.

Who knows maybe i can inspire somebody to do much better but for certain it be one more project for people to check out and thats what count
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #298
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I'd also like to say how happy I am that there was even this particular thread that did as much to spark just a bit more interest in the original series and bring a few familiar faces back to CF to even ponder the possibility of a TOS-based project. Even if it doesn't come about, the spark of discussion is welcome and so are plenty of the ideas being talked about as well. Sometimes, we get so focused on the idea that if we start a petition, or writing campaign, or whatever kind of effort there is, we forget that it's not the end result that counts, but the effort itself. If someone spends hours of their lives creating a 1:1 replica of the filming model of the Galactica, are they expecting a film or TV deal to come of it? Frankly, I love seeing folks create art, fanfic, CGI, models, costumes or what have you. If nothing else, it tells me that they truly honor the original series and the memories it holds for them. It's easy to sit around and wait for someone else to do something big, but until then, do what you can to honor the original and be willing to show it off on a website, or a convention. It will remind people that there are folks out there like us that remember the original fondly and even thought it's been gone for 30 years, we still find new ways to show our devotion to it.

I would like to remind everyone of one thing though - remember how we used to complain about articles that trashed the orignal series when comparing it to the new series? Conversely, it doesn't really do us any favors if we sit around and trash the new series in comparison to our favorite version. We gave up that part of the discussion on this site many years ago, mostly because of the discourse that came of that type of discussion. I'd like to think of TOS BSG fans to be better than that and keep the focus of the discussion in our own backyard so to speak. If folks want to talk about Moore's series, then there's always Skiffy or a host of other sites to do that. Colonial Fleets has always been first and foremost a TOS-themed site and is likely not to change in the future.

Thanks to everyone for participating in the discussion and thanks for being the great folks you are for showing your devotion to a 30-year old show. Some might call it a "one season wonder", but it always holds a permanent place in my heart.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #299
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
If I expressed something out of turn, I apologize for that (though I'm not about to apologize for feeling as I do that way on that particular matter). Some of us I think do view the end of that other show as a moment where some cathartic feelings need to be expressed,
You should see what's going on in the IMDB forums for the series. Your commentary is tame by comparisson.

I can honestly say I've posted more in the last week or two at IMDB in that forum than I have in all the years I've had the account. Granted it's mostly because I'm online researching stuff for Galactica Saga and it's, well, it's an trainwreck you just can't keep your eyes off of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
What started out as a Larson "rumor" has more and more started to look just like the last set of "rumors" we tried to rally ourselves around before, and I for one don't like seeing hopes raised falsely once again or hearing suggestions about signing petitions when they never worked before and the Powers That Be only ratcheted up the levels of disrespect for the series we loved and its fanbase.
You hit the clown on the nose. There's currently no respect for the genre at NBC Universal. Just look at what they allowed sciffy- sorry sciphylis- to do to Flash Gordon.

That was criminal.
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #300
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
I'd also like to say how happy I am that there was even this particular thread that did as much to spark just a bit more interest in the original series and bring a few familiar faces back to CF to even ponder the possibility of a TOS-based project. Even if it doesn't come about, the spark of discussion is welcome and so are plenty of the ideas being talked about as well. Sometimes, we get so focused on the idea that if we start a petition, or writing campaign, or whatever kind of effort there is, we forget that it's not the end result that counts, but the effort itself. If someone spends hours of their lives creating a 1:1 replica of the filming model of the Galactica, are they expecting a film or TV deal to come of it? Frankly, I love seeing folks create art, fanfic, CGI, models, costumes or what have you. If nothing else, it tells me that they truly honor the original series and the memories it holds for them. It's easy to sit around and wait for someone else to do something big, but until then, do what you can to honor the original and be willing to show it off on a website, or a convention.
In that spirit let me just say. .

I will be expecting you (and YOU and YOU over there in the corner) to comment on Galactica Saga when I start posting it.

Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote