Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > All About Models
Notices
All About Models Information on making models, real or CGI. Tutorials as well.
Requests and questions should be posted here.

Old June 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Griffworks
Builder of the RTF

Default New TNS BSG Kits

Howdy Ya'll,

Thought I'd let everyone know of a few new kits that just became available w/in the last month or so.

First up is the Space Park/Zephyr from Fantastic Plastic's Museum Store. It's to-scale w/their 1/9600 scale (not really, it's more like 1/8200 or thereabouts) Pegasus kit, as well as the Alliance Models Galactica kit of the same stated scale. Retails for $55.00, plus shipping. Direct Linky

Next up, Timeslip Creations has two new kits, both in 1/4105 (pretty darned close to Revell-Monogram battlestar scale): The SpacePark/Zephyr and Battlestar Valkyrie.

The Zephyr is approximately 12" long and sweet! The habitat ring is cast in very nice clear resin with a "shelf" inside so that you can put an interior, if you so desire. I'm doing that very thing w/my copy - given to me by a friend! - by placing a few "buildings" inside, then painting some browns and greens on the "floor" and finally using some small bits of railroad "trees". This one retails for $120.00, plus shipping.

The Valkyrie kit is about 7" long and roughly 16 parts. It includes all the baffles for the engines, as well as is highly accurate. I believe this one is $50.00, plus shipping?

Also, Timeslip Creations had a table at WonderFest and was showing off a 1/4105 in-progress master of the small Passenger Liner/Olympic Carrier. That thing's going to be sweet!

You'll have to contact George directly to purchase these kits or inquire about his other kits in the line (Mineral Ship, Rising Star, Gemini Freighter, Colonial Movers, Prison Barge, TOS Battlestar (w/12 names!) and TNS Galactica. His email address is: timeslipcreations@sbcglobal.net I highly recommend every one of these kits for your collection.
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Griffworks
Builder of the RTF

Default Re: New TNS BSG Kits

Another upcoming release from Timeslip Creations has just been announced - the TNS Olympic Carrier type passenger liner. No word on the price, but the model itself is only about 2.4" long, so it can't be terribly much. See pics here, at SRS Prototypings page for the master pattern for the Olympic Carrier.
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #3
cosmic
Shuttle Pilot

any idea when this will become available?
cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Griffworks
Builder of the RTF

Hi! The last I heard was that George was still waiting on his Decal Guy to finish a run on the decals - or maybe it was finalize the artwork? I forget for sure. Anyhow, no ETTC, unfortunately.
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Griffworks
Builder of the RTF

Also, Fantastic Plastic has released a TNS Cylon Basestar kit. You can go to the following link to view a buildup of this model (which I don't yet own, but intend to purchase next month): Buildup Page.

And JPG Productions will be releasing a kit shortly of the Tubed Vessel:

This will be available thru the Starship Modeler Store at some point in the not-too-distant-future (like in a month, at the latest).

That's all the BSG kit news for a capital ships scale of which I'm aware at this time.

In other BSG Kit News, Moebius Models is going to release a plastic TNS Mk II Viper kit sometime in early 2010, as I recall. It's in 1/32 scale, which means it's to-scale w/the TOS Viper kit. They also plan to release a TNS Galactica kit at some point in this coming year. They hope to release more kits from TNS, as well.

I have no clue who has the contract for TOS kits, but know it's not Moebius Models - at least not right now. I'd love to see a more accurately detailed TOS battlestar kit released that's to-scale w/the original - for the obvious reason that it's 1/4100-ish scale, which is my current favorite. I'd also like to see a TOS Basestar kit in the same scale as the Monogram-Revell releases of the kit are 1/6187 scale, if you accept a diameter of 5,800' / 1,768m for the TOS basestar, which seems to be the consensus of a majority of fans at sites to which I've visited. So, the M-R kit is almost 1/3 again larger than it needs to be to have it to-scale w/the M-R battlestar relases - which means it needs to be 17” / 43.1cm in diameter.

So, there ya go. Hope that helps.

Old January 21st, 2010, 09:04 PM   #6
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I think Revell still has the license. They just re-released their old kits with some upgrades. Of course the big "G" did not make an appearance in that re-release. Pardon me while I go swear aloud.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #7
Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
I think Revell still has the license. They just re-released their old kits with some upgrades. Of course the big "G" did not make an appearance in that re-release. Pardon me while I go swear aloud.
my thoughts precisely was hoping for a more detailed "G" i wasn't particularly
happy with the early/mid 90's kits.

cheers.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:07 PM   #8
Griffworks
Builder of the RTF

The release of those kits was right about two years ago, now. Licenses tend to be for right around two years, generally speaking. Obviously, it depends on the popularity of the subject, cost of the license and cost of developing new kits or pulling old molds out, refurbishing them and then re-popping them.

Regardless, I'd rather have a whole-new TOS battlestar than a re-release of the highly inaccurate Revell-Monogram kit. I've still got several of them in my stash - one MIB and three that are previous builds I'm stripping and re-building or kitbashing.