Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old April 18th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #1
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Default Felt the need to share

Sometimes you just feel the need to share a thought or an experience, so I am starting this thread.

San Francisco - 100 years after the Big One

By contrast to the somber mood that gently hangs over San Francisco at this moment, it is a glorious day in this city. After several weeks of rain the sun is shining brightly and is very warming and refreshing. People seem more friendly today and there are many of them here to "enjoy" the memorials of the day. Victorian costumes are abound and wreaths adorn momuments that survived the trials of the ages.

I spent an hour today looking out of my office window, conveniently above Market Street, enjoying a parade in celebration of San Francisco's rebirth. I was thinking of my grandfather, a man that I never had the pleasure to meet, and how he had been an earthquake survivor. He had just come from Italy and had only been in America for a few months when the ground shook his newly layed roots. Among the school children, marching bands, and local union marchers, were the fire department and the American Red Cross. I looked down at the long line of emergency vehicles and though to myself, "It looks like the calvary is here." It was at that moment that I reflected back on what I had read and the pictures that I had seen earlier that morning on the train in to town.

The building I was in was new compared to the lovely gothic one sitting across the street. That building had been one of the few to survive both the earthquakes and the fires after them. Two buildings over from me on my right had stood the Call Building. It survived the earthquake but it was consumed by fire shortly after. 100 years ago to the moment, the street that I was overlooking was on fire. Had I been standing where I was then, I would be standing on, or buried under, a pile of rubble.

I looked back at the parade, back at the calvary and thought, "If the earthquake were now, these are the people who would save me, because they think that my life is worth more than theirs." It was a very humbling moment.

The calvary left and was followed by cheerleaders making human pyramids while promoting HIV/AIDS awareness; something that you never would have seen 100 years ago. Very modern, very San Francisco.

Like the Phoenix, San Francisco has risen.

I am at the picture on this page, in the current times, just slightly right of the tower. The tower was burnt to the ground.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science....ap/index.html
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #2
bsg1fan1975
Major

man, I know what your feeling. The area where I grew up got hit in '38 with a hurricane and from the pictures I have seen, it looked like an atomic bomb went off and just leveled or caused massive damage. My late step-grandmother was 8 at the time and her stories of that day were just incredible.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

For some reason the link gave me a "page not found error". Bummer. I would love to see before, after, and now shots. The history of an area can be so facinating.
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #4
bsg1fan1975
Major

okies I found another one and I hope this one works this time.

Its a view of several places in New england after the hurricane. Top pic is of one of Newport's many beaches

http://www.southstation.org/images/page29.jpg

Old April 20th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #5
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

It is just amazing to see this stuff when you gave an idea what things look like today. Humans do spring back. We are an incredible force.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #6
bsg1fan1975
Major

yeah, every now and then after a good storm has gone through Newport, when you go down to Easton's Beach which is next to Cliff Walk, you can find pieces of wood that belonged to the amusement park that was once there sticking out of the sand.