Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Conventions
Notices
Conventions Non BG Conventions included too!

Old May 18th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #1
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Default A Convention Question...

Hi all,

I've never actually been to a convention. I got to the door of one, and wouldn't go in because I objected to the entry fee (three times what it is at some Conventions nowadays, and that was 5 years ago!)

I've been to in-store signings, where the autos are free, but I understand that at conventions you often have to pay ?

I was just wondering (so I can consider travelling to one) how much the autos typically are for Convention regulars ????

Thanks in advance,

Ernie90125
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #2
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Hi Ernie, haven't been to many myself but it seems to vary by actor. I've heard very high amounts about some of the Trek folks, and that some of them aren't very personable. All the Galactica folks I've met are nice people and very personable. I think most of the BG people charge around $20ish, no idea what they charge when they are in the UK. King Jason at Cylon.org might know.

hopefully someone that's been to lots of cons will chime in on this.
Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
I've been to in-store signings, where the autos are free, but I understand that at conventions you often have to pay ?

I was just wondering (so I can consider travelling to one) how much the autos typically are for Convention regulars ????
Ernie, I don't think there is a simple answer to this, it depends on the star and what size photo or if you want a message written on something.

I've only been to one convention and I got a signed colour pic from Herb Jefferson and I bought Dirk's book off him which he signed with a nice message and I didn't feel as if I had been ripped off by the gentlemen and I got to shake their hands and speak to them for a bit.

I think for an item you're looking at starting from £20 upwards. If you're looking for something dirt cheap, well then those ladies and gents who turn out for their fans have to earn a living too

Best,

Peter
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #4
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I am just interested in knowing. Is the price the same if you bring something of your own to get signed ?

I'm not looking for something 'dirt cheap' but also I know that 'a fool and their money are easily parted' and at that convention I nearly went to, it was happening.

-They booked a very expensive venue, to look glamerous.

-They arranged for everything to be done by volunteers (who felt used at the end)

-And they had some electronic tagging system and 'tricorders' to go around playing with. (All at the expense of ticket paying customers.)

-They then said they had to charge us so much because of the rooms like the very poor 'dealer room' Which they were charging the dealers sooo much for already !!!!

Then people had to pay for autos etc. Before you knew it you had been in, looked around, got a couple of pen marks on items, and spent several hundred !!!!!!!

I have no objection paying fairly, none at all. I just want to understand more, before I consider going to one.....

I'd love to go to one in the UK with loads of BSG cast members there....

Ernie90125
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #5
kitty
Bad Email Address

Wink

Quote:
Hi,

I have no objection paying fairly, none at all. I just want to understand more, before I consider going to one.....

I'd love to go to one in the UK with loads of BSG cast members there....

Ernie90125
I have always wanted to go to one Ernie, so if there is one in the UK,
I dont mind hooking up with you and checking it out.
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:00 AM   #6
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Again, it comes down to who it is you want to get the autograph from...

Something to keep in mind that not many know......

If you bring something of your own for them to sign - $10.00 -15.00

If you get their picture and their signature - $20.00

There are some actors that ask for more...
Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamil
The Matrix twins
John Ryse Davis
Brad Dourif

PLEASE do NOT ask them to sign your body parts... that is the fastest way to get yourself removed from the convention. And talk to the stars... they love to talk to the fans... and ALWAYS ask if its ok to take a picture of them if you are going to. That is proper behavoir and that will also keep any embarrassing moments from happening. There are some stars that will not allow you to take pictures of them... belive it or not.

any other questions I can help with?
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:22 AM   #7
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Thanks DarkJedi for the tip-off. I heard that there is someone relating to Star Trek The Original Series who expects $500 an auto, and she was only a guest star ! (She must be famous from elsewhere as well...and have an over-inflated opinion of herself !)

Thanks also for the warning about not asking them to sign body parts - but funnily enough that wasn't something I was going to ask for !!!!!!!!

Ernie90125
PS - Sorrell...anytime....
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:20 AM   #8
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

When you work at conventions like I have... you have seen and heard them all... :laugh: it can bewilder you sometimes... or make you just bust up laughing...

But I am here to answer any questions that I can. =) That's why this place is here...

I will see what I can dig up for conventions in your neck of the woods
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:21 AM   #9
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Hi,

Here's another quick question. I saw in various notes about conventions that celebrities may not sign un-licensed photos... Why not ? If someone goes to the trouble of finding a pic they like, printing it off, and paying to have it signed I don't what is so wrong with that ?
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:41 AM   #10
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

May be a liability thing for some of them. What they have for sale is always safe though.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:16 PM   #11
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Jewels is right. Since they are signing as that character, they are bound by the rules and limitations set by that corporation. It comes down to the legal game. Sorry but some corporations are very strict on that matter.
Old June 9th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #12
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Here is another example of why I am unsure about these conventions. I'd really really like to meet the cast of BSG, but see what you make of this...

I went to the bi-annual CD and Record Fair in my local city. It was held at a new venue this year. The local football stadium.

It is usually held at my old Uni. Each year it has a minor celeb to open it. Last year it was Arthur (The God of Hell Fire) Brown..... A really nice guy...

This year when I arrived at the new venue, I found out that they had quadrupled the entry fee for each of the two days compared to the old full weekend rate... with little warning...

Upon entering, to dealer stalls were not that good. The celebs were :

David Soul (Hutch in 'Starsky and Hutch' TOS)
Madeline Smith (Hammer House of Horror girl and Bond girl)
Alvin Starburst.

The flyer said to bring all you old record sleeves down to get "them all signed".

What it didn't tell you was they (on top of a attendance fee of several thousand, plus expenses) were charging 20 Pounds ($37) per autograph. These aren't exactly big names, and we were given no warning that it would be different from the norm, or these charges applied till after you got the signature.....

If you wanted a photograph - the prices were doubled !!!!!!

I DON"T begrudge actors their living. But my reason for starting this thread to to open the question, shouldn't fans be given advance warning of expensive conditions like this ???

At a resturant there is a menu and prices outside for people to see before going in. Is this appropriate for a convention ???
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #13
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Wow! You are having fun stumping my knowledge on this. lol Alright where to dig in.... lol

The restaraunt issue....some places wish to put out their menus so you can see before going in. That is a common practice over here in Texas. But also see it as a blessing. Why? Because there are some convention goers that are on a shoe string budget so going to somewhere that is too expensive can make an embarrassing situation. Better to see the price before you go in and look at the menu and try to make a graceful exit.

The price for autographs.... each star will charge their own price SEPERATE from the convention entry fee. The normal going rate is $20.00 USD, HOWEVER some stars will charge more for their signature on something. Keep in mind, most conventions pay a minimal fee for the star to come in and the autographs are how they make money.

The price of the entry fee changing....again, they are subject to change. Take for example, Dragoncon, this year they have raised the rate of the entry fee. As a convention becomes bigger and more popular, the rates will increase. Also take into consideration that they moved to a different location, a football arena, so the rate might have hiked due to the location of the venue. The only "notification" they are liable to tell the con goers is what they put on the website. So if on their website they state they are increasing rates, then that is all they have to do. Now another reason it could have hiked up so much is that some conventions have the "early bird" special. The earlier you buy your tickets the cheaper they are as compared to the ones you would pay the day of and at the door. That is how the big ones work.

I hope you don't let this experience put a bad taste of conventions in your mouth. Most of them are really fun!!!

I hope this helped clear a little of the air... keep them coming!! I like answering these questions!!!!
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:35 PM   #14
Artemis
Warrior

I agree the door price can be a bit of a shocker. I don't have a lot of convention experience, I have attended my local Comic-con a couple times. You can get a better rate the earlier you sign up and the last time I went I think I got my money's worth. Not only did I get to see a movie for free that was really good and never made a showing in San Diego but for 3 days I spent many hours going to panels and getting to see previews of all sorts of things. Even got to see scenes from the original episode of Firefly before Fox decided to rearrange things and not show it.

At that particular convention the talent are not supposed to charge for their signatures but David Prowse (Darth Vader) was charging for signing Star Wars items and if you didn't want to pay he wouldn't sign. I guess he could have been turned into the organizers but no one seemed to want to be the one that got Darth Vader kicked out.

Richard Hatch has never charged to sign things at Comic-con and hopefully they won't screw up his presentation this time.
Old June 9th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #15
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Thanks for the replies. These issues with Dave Prowse do not surprise me. I have heard numerous stories about him that are along the same lines and worse.....

I have never paid for an autograph, but aside from at the backstage door at rock gigs, I haven't much experience of auto getting (at conventions etc)

I think the organisers should have published a 'menu' of who was attending and how much they charge for what. These 'hidden charges' came as a shock to many who thought these minor celebrities "love to meet and greet their fans, and sign autographs and have their picture taken" for fans attending....

What actually happens if a fan gets something signed and can't afford to pay ? Especially if they did not realise there was a charge ???
Old June 9th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #16
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:
What actually happens if a fan gets something signed and can't afford to pay ? Especially if they did not realise there was a charge ???
They had signs posted of the prices of what they were selling, autographed and non-autographed. The Farscape convention listed all the prices at their online site before the con., and talk about sticker shock, I couldn't believe what they were charging.
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #17
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Sometimes even with the signs showing how much they charge for the autograph does it get sticky. Basically one star that I worked with at a convention (will with hold names) kept the item till the person paid them for it.

As for David Prowse, I have to say every time I have worked with him and have seen him at a convention, he has been awesome! He's a great guy!
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:42 AM   #18
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

The stars have the right to withhold a possession from a person because of this ??? I guess it could be so... Of course, clarity on prices would be so much better !!!!!

I don't know if I have a bad taste in my mouth about conventions. I do think though, that I would contact the organisers and ask for autograph prices before attending... And wouldn't go if I didn't hear back....

I don't begrudge people making their living though....

Thank you all for being kind enough to reply to this thread. It has been a very interesting discussion....
Old June 10th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #19
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

No probs!!!

I like talking about the conventions. lol In fact I have been having a lot of fun answering questions. lol