Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Conventions
Notices
Conventions Non BG Conventions included too!

Old May 18th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #1
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Default Live in L.A.? Wanna see the 1978 BSG on the BIG screen?

Found this over at Resin Illuminati.

Quote:
OK, while you guys were all in Kentucky getting sloshed, I was here in L.A. working on some cool screenings. Heads up for some of you guys that live here or close by.

The Aero Theatre here in Santa Monica is a nice little (~450 seats) single screen movie theater that screens old movies (and some new ones). Any time they do a screening of a movie with a lot of effects in it, I try to round up some guests who worked on the film to help me introduce the film, do a Q&A, and set up a display in the lobby with photos and props and stuff like that.

Here are some updates for the rest of May/June. Pay special attention to the last item.

Friday, May 22nd - 7:30 PM - GREMLINS 1 & 2 - Double feature! director Joe Dante and a couple of other people will hold a Q&A between films.

Friday, May 29th - 7:30pm - ALIENS and THE ABYSS Double feature! Director Jim Cameron IN PERSON!!! (I may have a display of rare behind the scenes photos from ALIENS - gotta talk to Cameron's peeps.) This show is SOLD OUT. I don't know what they will do if people don't show up. They usually have a stand-by line for stuff like this, but I would imagine it will be a mob scene. sorry about the late notice. As soon as I heard about it, it was sold out.

Saturday, May 30th - 5:30pm - BACK TO THE FUTURE 1, 2, & 3 - Triple feature! I'm still working out the details on this one. I'm not sure who the final guests will be. The Aero is also trying to get one of the local BTTF modified Delorean replicas here.

Thursday, June 18th - 7:30pm - FLASH GORDON (1980) & BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS - Double Feature. OK, two really corny movies, but a great bill. I've got a bunch of posters from FLASH, as well as artwork, photos, and a matte painting from BATTLE that I'm bringing. I'm still working on getting one of the producers from FLASH to talk at the screening. I expect a good turnout just from the camp film fans alone.

Friday, June 19th - 7:30pm - E.T. and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS - Double Feature! OK, I don't have a whole lot on E.T., but I do have some stuff on CE3K, and I'm trying to get some more. I don't know about guests, but there will likely be some guys who worked on it there since I know some of them and they may show up to watch the movie.

Saturday, June 20th - 5:30pm - BATTLESTAR GALACTICA-palooza - All three BSG films (the pilot and the TV series movie edits they did for "Gun on Ice Planet Zero", etc...) on the BIG screen. OK, this isn't gonna be the big BSG event I have talked about to some of you, but...... it's still gonna be pretty cool. I'm going to have my models there, along with some of the original Apogee and Hartland MOCO gear I have. Carson Dyle's gonna bring out some of his stuff. There will be a display of photos that NONE of you have ever seen, as well as an original Rag-Tag Fleet ship that hasn't seen the light of day or been photographed in 30 years (and it's one that you will recognize in an instant - it was in the title sequence of every episode). Still working on guests and a couple of other surprises. We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

So, if you are in the area, come on by. Tickets are like, $10 for two movies and a cool lobby display - damn cheap. It's a laid back atmosphere and pretty casual. Check out http://www.aerotheatre.com/Aero/aeromastercalendar.htm for more details.

Gene
Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #2
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Live in L.A.? Wanna see the 1978 BSG on the BIG screen?

Sweet! I will most definitely be going to this! I was at the Egyptian a few years back when they showed the film and it was great! Seeing some of the two part episodes on screen will be a real treat!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #3
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
Sweet! I will most definitely be going to this! I was at the Egyptian a few years back when they showed the film and it was great! Seeing some of the two part episodes on screen will be a real treat!
Glad to hear your going. Take a million pic's(see red highlighted area). would love to go myself, but don't see that happening.

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:29 AM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

BSG Photo's no one's seen before?

GET COPIES, TONS OF THEM!!!!!!!..............

Then get'em digitally spruced up afterwards.

KJ
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:20 AM   #5
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I will do my best! Starblade would be the one who could get good copies though.

More info was put up on the Aero theater's web site.

You can get your tickets on Fandango. Just search for the Aero theater.

Saturday, June 20 - 7:30 PM

Battlestar Galactica Marathon!

Join us for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to traverse outer space with all your fellow Aeronauts and bear witness to all three films together on the big Screen "It’s the end… of the 70s… it’s the end of the century." - Joey Ramone

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (THE MOVIE), 1978, Universal, 125 min. Dir. Richard A. Colla and Alan J. Levi. A resourceful team of space warriors, led by Lorne Greene, Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict and Maren Jensen, take on the evil Cylons (dig that moving red eyeball!) in this humorous and action-packed television series, screening here in the 1978 theatrical feature version. Often compared to a small-screen STAR WARS (visual effects guru John Dykstra created superb F/X for both), "Battlestar Galactica" achieved its own unique charm through a winning cast and a refreshing, tongue-in-cheek approach to the sci-fi genre. Trailer

MISSION GALACTICA: THE CYLON ATTACK, 1979, Universal, 108 min. Dir. Vince Edwards and Christian I. Nyby II. Lloyd Bridges stars as Cmdr. Cain, the glory-seeking commander of Pegasus, a fellow Battlestar vessel. With designs on attacking a nearby Cylon Base World, Cain deviously lures a reluctant Cmdr. Adama into all-out war with the Cylons, further sidetracking the fleet’s return to Earth, and leaving the Galactica Cmdr. near death.

CONQUEST OF THE EARTH, 1980, Universal, 96 min. Dir. Barry Crane, Sidney Hayers and Sigmund Neufeld Jr. Lorne Greene and the Battlestar fleet return to Earth only to discover that the planet is under imminent threat of virtual annihilation at the hands of attacking Cylons in this the third and final chapter in the 70s theatrical Galactica trilogy.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:24 AM   #6
Aphrodite
Socialator

I live in the LA area, and I'm not sure I can go. Things are always up in the air for me. I'll try to attend though, but I can't make any promises.

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM   #7
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I do hope you can make it! Its always so much fun to meet people from this board!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM   #8
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite View Post
I live in the LA area, and I'm not sure I can go. Things are always up in the air for me. I'll try to attend though, but I can't make any promises.
Okay, where have I been? First you go off and break everyone's heart by getting married and now you no longer live in the Yosemite area?

If you are in the L.A. area now I'll pay the $10 (each) for you and your new Hubby to attend...it isn't everyday when we all can get together like this.

Bring your daughter too...get her "hooked" into oBSG (If she isn't already).

Mark, I'll be there...hoping to car pool with you on that day...
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM   #9
Aphrodite
Socialator

She is into BG! She has this red dress that we call her Battlestar Galactica dress because it's very similar to Cassiopeia's.

Thanks, but it really is a day-to-day thing when it comes to plans. Like I said, we'll try to attend, but no guarantees.

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Athene
Galactica's Princess

This is one of the few times that I'm tempted to move to California!

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:05 AM   #11
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Our eveil genius plan is working!!! MUAHAHAHAHAH!

Too much? Over the top? We'd love to have ya!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein