Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 26th, 2003, 09:18 AM   #1
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Boycott the Video Game...

I haven't heard too much about this topic but I thought that I would bring it up here.

When I first heard about the BSG video game, I was really pysched!! Finally, I could have a cool game that was set in the Galactica universe.

BUT, then I started hearing about how the game producers were trying to tie into both productions (the original series and the new BS). Case in point, they have used the names of the new BS production such as William Adama.

When I found this out, I decided that that was a little too close to home and a little too close to this travesty of a new production. Therefore, I have decided that even though it might a cool game, I will NOT be buying it!!!!

How do you all feel about it? Will you buy it? What do you think about the naming of the characters according to the new BS??

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #2
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I think the character naming and the backstory elements hijacked from G03 were Universal corporate shoving it down the game division's throat to double hedge their marketing. If you notice they are playing it very subtley, only the elements that might be fuzzy in the casual fan's mind are included and mostly in the packaging, not necessarily in the game.

I don't have any problem with people supporting the game for that reason: it's more BSG than the mini ever will be.

We'll have to wait until someone plays the game until we know for sure.

Just IMO.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #3
dah66
Warrior

Richard and Dirk are supposedly providing the voices for Apollo and Starbuck in the games time travel subplot. How can that be if they are tying into the new production? I mean, Starbuck would be a girl. That would only work if the time travel subplot involves the female Starbuck being post menopausal and her voice has deepened due to a severe lack of estrogen!

I'm having visions of those awful Galactica TV movies where two shows were badly edited together to make one 2 hour "Galactica Movie." I can just see them doing this here with the dialogue that Richard and Dirk recorded. Basically, having other actors dub in new character names over top of any references that Richard and Dirk made to their original characters.

Right now, this just sounds like another screwed up chapter in the long and tragic history of the franchise.

I'm going to wait and see on this. If the game is true to the original series, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll pull an Olmos and "avoid the pain."

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 05:23 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I'm still waiting to hear more than PR. You can't trust PR. But when it comes out the truth will always be undeniable.

But I'm leaning toward getting it. It has Dirk and Richard in it. And I want to suport them. And I might have fun.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 06:26 PM   #5
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default True...

Richard and Dirk being involved in it does soften the blow somewhat, but you know that the game is a test for some of the concepts in this new mini, so if you support the game, you do support the mini in a way...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #6
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Which is WHY Charybdis I will NOT be getting the GAME.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 06:56 PM   #7
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Even though Richard and Dirk are involved, I have not changed my mind. If there are still Husker Adamas and man created Cylons in the game, I'm not buying. I'll buy two copies of the DVD instead, I can give one as a giftt. That'll show where my support is.

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #8
originalsinner

Default Im going to buy the Game

It dont matter if Hammer and Moore had a cow, and wanted William Adamas name in there, oh well. i can forgett that little thing and just play the game!
Old August 27th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #9
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default AO, Charybdis, shiningstar, this game is indeed tied to the mini

Quote:
Originally posted by AlternityOrange Even though Richard and Dirk are involved, I have not changed my mind. If there are still Husker Adamas and man created Cylons in the game, I'm not buying. I'll buy two copies of the DVD instead, I can give one as a giftt. That'll show where my support is.
Hello dah66, the most quoted man on postathons, snail mail & posts all over the net, Hatch & Benedict are not Apollo or Starbuck, so avoid the pain.

Battlestar Galactica (2003) (VG)
This game is a prequel to The Scifi Channel’s Battlestar Galactica. Notice Richard Hatch is Paulus, who the hell is he?

Plot Outline: William Adama (who uses the callsign Husker) must fight the Cylons in the human-Cylon war, forty years before the events depicted in the Battlestar Galactica television series and mini series.

Credited cast:
Dirk Benedict .... Starbuck (voice)
Robin Atkin Downes .... (voice)
Richard Hatch (I) .... Paulus (voice)
Kristanna Loken .... (voice)
Dwight Schultz .... (voice)
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #10
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
SciFiPulse.net

Quote:
Originally posted by dah66
Richard and Dirk are supposedly providing the voices for Apollo and Starbuck in the games time travel subplot. How can that be if they are tying into the new production? I mean, Starbuck would be a girl. That would only work if the time travel subplot involves the female Starbuck being post menopausal and her voice has deepened due to a severe lack of estrogen!

Correction, Both Richard and Dirk are in the game. Richard Portrays a duel role as Captain Paulus who is Adama and Cains Squadren Leader and Captain Apollo. Apparently there is a time warp storie in the games subplot which has made it possible for both Richard and Dirk to feature as Apollo and Starbuck.

In regards to the Willian Adama thing, that is but one very small victory for Sci Fi, because if Sci Fi had it's way Richard and Dirk would never have gotton a look in, Sci Fi probably would have had them use Jamie Bamber and that Katee Sackhoff to play Starbuck & Apollo. So I would support the game because to me it is the closest thing out there to Galactica than Galactica itself, and I do not mean Ron Moores boil in the bag Galactica either.

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote