Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old January 21st, 2004, 05:32 PM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Reflections

Every now and then, I get in a reflective mood and today is one of those days. I take a step back and try to remember why I’m here.

I’m here, because I love the show that began telling the story about “tribes of humans who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, the Toltecs, or the Mayans.” I enjoyed seeing this possibility of us having “relatives” somewhere across the heavens being portrayed. I also enjoyed seeing that while these people are different in some respects – language, currency, and technology, there are also similarities – duty, honor, respect and loyalty to their people, themselves, and to, possibly, their long-lost relatives. That was 25 years ago and the feelings are still with me. You see, for me, these feelings are timeless. They don’t suddenly lose favor because I’ve grown in years. I’m willing to bet that many of those that read this would agree.

Another reason that I’m here is YOU, my friends. I enjoy being around you folks, even though I haven’t met a single one of the faces behind the handles – at least I don’t think so. Even if we haven’t met face-to-face, it’s your words that have drawn me in. Your eloquence in telling “your stories”, your talent at computer-generated art, your talent at story-writing or story-telling, your ‘fun side’, when stealing the thread, or doing the ‘2-word’, all of these things are reasons for me to be here.

There is more, though, and it’s the sheer beauty of this website that I have literally fallen in love with. Our home amongst the stars was created by Darrell, aka Warrior, and when he moved on to be the webmaster of battlestargalactica.com, the responsibility of the site went to Thomas, aka Thomas7g. He has done magnificently! He pours his own blood, sweat, and tears into making this place the happiest little island resort amongst the stars and he always has time for each of us, when we need him. Behind the scenes is the man who had the vision and who commissioned the creation of this site and also who continues to provide the necessary resources for its existence and that is Don, aka Titon. These 3 very talented and wonderful guys have made it possible for us to be here today and for that, gentlemen, I salute you!

In closing, folks, I also want to thank you for something that I purposely omitted from above – your ‘spirit’ and perseverance in trying to realize your dream. You, all, have reminded me that “without dreams there is no life”.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:30 AM   #2
bsg1fan1975
Major

thanks!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:26 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thank you for those wonderful words, BST . You put into words so well what we all are feeling.

Thanks for helping keep the dream alive...
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:02 PM   #4
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Excellent post Bst. I loved the story line of BSG almost
as much as I was in love with GASPPPPPP TOny Swartz.

I had the BIGGEST crush on him!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Default Reflections Reimagined.

I am reasonably certain that all of us have had our personal demons to wrestle with.
I mean the real stuff. Broken hearts and broken homes. Abuses suffered in the real world that by far exceed the relatively trifling concerns of feuding fans of a great TV show.

So often it seems we can easily reflect on the bad things that happen to us.

So easy to fail to realize the good things we have going on in our real and our virtual lives.

I vaguely recall one of "Q"'s lines in Trek about "tastes both subtle and gross." I later encountered the same line in Heretics of Dune by Herbert.

For those with more gross tastes, perhaps a good buzz, or a satisfying sexual encounter might pass for the good memories.
For those with more sublime tastes, the satisfaction of the love of freinds and family are looked to for comfort.

I reflected on BST's post, and a few others from those of you out there that I don't really interact with much, that made me stop, and see you in a different light.

I thought of one of those moments that changed my life in a good way:

Money was good. The life plan was humming along. I had recently ended a relationship, but wasn't bummed, instead looking forward to the next good thing. Life was routine and comfortable. "A younger,freer time,when life was sweeter, and death further off."

I don't recall if I was on a break, or getting off work. Either way, I doubt I felt rushed. I was waiting in a short line to purchase some smokes at a convenience gas station. In front of me in the line were two young women (young like 2 yrs either side of 20).
The clerk was a 40ish woman. She looked bothered by these customers in front of me. Edgy and agitated. I was picking up on this vibe, and became edgy and agitaed and impatient myself.
She curtly announced to the young ladies "if we've got 'em,they would be over there!" with a dismissive gesture.
As the young ladies turned to go seek their desired product, I observed in them qualities of what used to be called mental retardation. Glasses thicker than mine ( and mine would be quite thick if it weren't for SDI technology that improved optics), a happy but shuffling slouch, an angularity in the face, and perhaps a trace of cerebral paulsey. One even had some similar features to my most recent ex-girlfriend.
My heart melted.
I was embarassed for myself.

How could this clerk have been impatient with these innocent creatures?
How could I have been sucked in to that vibe and become impatient myself?

I watched these young ladies happily leave,their quest unfinished, to go to another store.

This memory sticks with me over the years. At times when I am angry and frustrated, I remember that despite the evil that we confront in the good fight, we have innocence among us. Without appreciating that, the fight would be a pointless and prideful excercise.

"Here endeth the lesson" and I try to remember it.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 04:03 PM   #6
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks for the story Darth
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:56 AM   #7
bsg1fan1975
Major

Darth thank you for enlightening us with that story. I know what you were feeling by that incident. Many of us fail to remember that people like those two girls are born differently than us but are human too. I should know I have a baby sister who was born with Down Syndrome. I stood up to people in defense for people like her. I was also considered uncool by my peers in high school because i chose to sit with special people like my sister.

I chose to reflect on the good stuff and not the bad so much because there is too much of that in this world.

I never forget to dare to dream. Cause you never know when one will come true!

Old January 29th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #8
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

I just found out something good (amazing actually) about my daughter. See has not been much of a social girl at school, as she says, all her friends use bad language and talk about sexual stuff. SHe is quite young at heart and good natured, but up till now I was a bit worried.

Then I just found out she is indeed socializing - with crippled girls and boys in her classroom. Everyone else ignores them, preferring their "hip" groups. But my daughter is just amazing my by this - I did the same thing - I could've chosen the "hot" people but instead chose those who looked left out.

SHe didn't even tell me, I found out thru another...innocence and humility?

And they say we /know/ our kids...
Old January 30th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #9
bsg1fan1975
Major

Tell her I send a big thanks for remembering that the kids she choses to hang out with are special too. It warms my heart to see that she is a kind and caring soul

Old April 28th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #10
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

*bump*
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:54 PM   #11
braxiss
Major

well now this is right tright post at the right time.

these storys of looking back and being able to the the good, the great, and everything in between, these are things that i needed to read or should i say hear. i go to work most days with that sence of what is going to wrong today? or what is the world going to drop on me? and the one thing that keeps me sane next to my wife and children is fleets, i find myself driving down the road during the day thinking up good lines to use when i steal the thread, or wondering just how bad muffits ankle is, or wondering how rowans dance class was. this place has become a home to me and i'm gratful to all the friends i have here because we prove everyday that world isn't all bad.

may bsg always live on in our hearts if nowhere else

thanks bst

and thanks to everyone here
Old April 29th, 2004, 03:25 AM   #12
bsg1fan1975
Major

well said braxiss! I feel that we all connected in our quirky ways. Especially when we are not having such a great day or are just being silly!