Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds
Notices
Shattered Worlds Project forum for new FAN-based endeavours.
Share what you're doing here!

Old February 5th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Vulpa II
Shuttle Pilot

Battlestar Galactica 1978 BSG Fanfilms - why so few, if any?

Hi everyone,

I am interested in opinions as to why there really aren't any Classic BSG fanfilms out there.
You can't hardly get through the DOZENS of Trek and Wars productions online. Star Trek: Phase II and Hidden Frontier are very inspirational to me in both production and storylines! I have actually been wanting to do a fan film series for the past few years. I have narrowed it down to two franchises: Classic BSG and Buck Rogers '79. But that's probably a topic for another thread.

I am just surprised with ALL the fans here on these boards, that there isn't more "output" in the fan film area like Trek.

Perhaps it's due to the costuming? Cylon armor alone can cost thousands of dollars! And the Colonial uniforms aren't readily available (i.e. inexpensive) like Trek costumes.

Last edited by Vulpa II; February 5th, 2010 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: addition of costuming info.
Vulpa II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #2
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Default Re: BSG Fanfilms - why so few, if any?

Sadly it might be the size of the fanbase. With Trek you can find a group of devoted fans in any city who will put time toward the effort(s). With TOS BSG we're fewer and a bit more spread out. There have been attempts to group together, but they seem to fall apart along the ways.

For myself I've decided to take on projects that I know I can pull off myself, and get them completed for better or worse. The latest thing I did was an animated fanfilm based on the younger days of Adama and Tigh. You can see it at http://www.youtube.com/battlestar1999

Also, being a smaller fan base means fewer eyes are going to be checking out the work. Anything I've done has been for my own enjoyment of the series, but it would be nice to get more people seeing it, and hear their feedback, good and bad.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I do think the Fan base is smaller for Classic BSG, but I think Vulpa is right, the availability of costumes is a problem.

One of the golas of Blackstar Squadron is to not only make finding costumed people easier to find, but to make some of these productions. One member, and a member of the Battlestar Callisto RP board, has done a series of short flms based on the Callisto.

I would LOVE to see larger films and it becoming easier for people to make the films.

And Vulpa, as much as I'd love to see a Buck Rogers '79 Fan film, I don't think I'm ready for Spandex personally lol

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #4
monolith21
Squadron Leader

It would take a braver man than I to throw on that white suit!

The costuming squadron was party put together out of frustration for those attempts to organize falling apart. Its coming together quite nice actually! Soon we should have a listing of people in pretty much every region of the world that either own or are working on a Colonial Warrior uniform or Cylon armor. Part of the mission statement is to make things easier for people looking to start up Battlestar projects.

Its not like the talent is out there to do this. There are enough people here on this board that have done heaps to make the effects aspects easier. I know of at least five different people who have written pretty cool and budget friendly fan film scripts.

The area that seems to be the hold up is the costuming. Star Trek fans can pretty much locate and purchase a costume for relatively cheap very quickly. If you have the money and an internet connection you can be ready to go within a week. Same goes with Star Wars fans. There is an array of costumes that vary quality and price wise ranging from off the shelf Rubies junk to custom commissions.

This has not always been the case for Galactica fans. A lot of information about the costumes and props is still coming out to this day and it takes a real commitment of time to put this stuff together. That said...we're hoping to make that A LOT easier!

We've been taking this year to do this up right. Global (where applicable) organization, contacts, and human resources. The rest is available right here on fleets to do an amazing job!

So lets hear it Vulpa II...got an idea for a fan film? I might know a few people that would want to help!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #5
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Vulpa II - have you visited my website www.battlestarfanfilms.com ?

It collects together all of the osBSG fanfilms, along with resources for future projects and free hosting for the videos too.

I'm about to add another couple of fanfilms very soon. If you do make a classic BSG fanfilm, I'd love to showcase it on the site.
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #6
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Having something on your site is a goal of mine ernie90125!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #7
gmd3d
Major

I agree with what has been said above ..

I was involved with a BSG project but alas it never worked out.

its is as David Kerin pointed out. it people and in right area.

and for me it the scale of the project ..

look at star trek or star wars .. depending of the story you do you have small sets relatively speaking. the Enterprise Bridge .. a x wing cockpit . even a portion of a star destroyer bridge would be easier to do than the Bridge of the Galactica. you can of course CGI it and use blue screen but still its a technical task that you need member of the production in the same city .. or at the very least the same country.

in the project I was involved in were where in different country's and time zones. the www is a useful tool but it still has some limits.

the are many great stories out there based on BSG but the few I read are still for the most part big stories .. massive stories ....

Here I think of Martoks story .. massive for a fan effort . epic really.

Russel Sanders audio story Exodus is a good one to try as it can be adapted as its a character story and has if my memory is correct a few locations.

I did spend time a few years ago planing out how I would have done it.

for the BSG i would use cgi characters and sets and forget using people who have there own lives and need that will cause problems ,..

that my 2 cent of info ..

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Vulpa II
Shuttle Pilot

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I really like finding out other fans' perspectives.

Mono - I have a very basic story idea that I am working on right now. Not a lot of details yet, although I will give you a hint: it invovles Adama and the Imperious Leader meeting face to face.
My idea is to create a new set of adventures/stories with the original crew. I have found that as blasphemous as this may sound, the Phase II production has shown me it CAN work. It's a matter of casting the right people.
Initially, I was wanting to do a monthly episodic type of series (e.g. Hidden Frontiers). However, I think maybe one (or two, if I dare to think that positively) stories a year might work better - kinda like a miniseries.

Ernie - I have been to your site and that is what prompted me to ask the question.
It was disappointing to see so few productions available. Granted, the ones that are on your site are very enjoyable to watch - and shows me that, yes, fan films can exist within Galactica's universe.

David - I agree with you. When you mention TOS Trek, people bend over backwards and are willing to spend their own money and volunteer time to help out anyway they can! That series has a lot of things going for it that Galactica doesn't have.
Old February 8th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #9
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'm an optimist. Star Trek and Star Wars have the human resources that make fan ventures a lot easier but we have some MAJOR talent. The models on this site alone show me that the resources are there.

The same goes for the costuming club. The idea and interest has been around for years. It just took a little push! I think people like Charybdis have done a great job. What we haven't really seen as of yet is a combined effort between the artists around here, the writers, and those that are ready to jump in front of a camera. Once those stars align it will be awesome!

What it all needs is a bit of organization. Not just the resources but the scripts, people with costumes (we're getting there), and those adventurous enough to build some small sets.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #10
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
I'm an optimist. Star Trek and Star Wars have the human resources that make fan ventures a lot easier but we have some MAJOR talent. The models on this site alone show me that the resources are there.

The same goes for the costuming club. The idea and interest has been around for years. It just took a little push! I think people like Charybdis have done a great job. What we haven't really seen as of yet is a combined effort between the artists around here, the writers, and those that are ready to jump in front of a camera. Once those stars align it will be awesome!

What it all needs is a bit of organization. Not just the resources but the scripts, people with costumes (we're getting there), and those adventurous enough to build some small sets.
there has been an attempt with the 14th colony fan film which most of the cgi end where sourced here. me be one and smallworld , mikala and more besides. casting was done and costumes made for them.

but the site closed and there has been no news of them since.

most likely real life has caused problems.

"I think if you want to make a BSG fan effort, move away from the Galactica as the vessel (I know we all love it but it too big on a fan budget"

pick another vessel the Celestra perhaps.

put some vipers on it.

like the episode "Take the Celestra".

you could have video link with the Galactica Bridge with out having to show the complete set.

but your still have to have your crew and your cast in or around where your going to film..

and you need a place to build sets and get cameras and stuff.. some of this you can build cheaply for a few dollars.

it is do able, but keep it on a scale that can be managed if your using people.

I for one would love to see a completed BSG enterprise from the fans of this site. the knowledge base is here. the cgi ability is available but the important element is the human one

that's my view anyway

Old February 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #11
Vulpa II
Shuttle Pilot

While having lunch today, an idea struck me about Galactica fanfilms.
Trek and Wars have a virtually unlimited universe to play in. Trek has Starfleet that emcompasses hundreds (thousands?) of starships fans can adopt and command. Same thing with Wars - groups (good and bad) that can expand at a fan's whim.

However, with Galactica we are pretty much left with one Battlestar and a rag tag fleet of mostly non-military vessels. Yes, I know the Pegasus's fate is in question (although Larsen apparently had plans for its return in Season 2)
But unless the fans do a prequel to BSG, there aren't any other Battlestars to "play" with.
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #12
gmd3d
Major

I think you could do some BSG stories before the fall of the colonies ...and create a new ship perhaps a smaller class and start there .. you can also be more creative .. but that just me

Old February 9th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #13
Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpa II View Post
unless the fans do a prequel to BSG, there aren't any other Battlestars to "play" with.
Vulpa, exactly what I'm doing at the moment, had an idea for a long time for a prequel,
having enough time to do some fair amount of work on it is the hard part. Next hardest
part is creating names and places and a story that "could" fit with the existing bsg
universe. Where I am the galactica fan base is few and far between, that makes it difficult
also. I've done one animation and trying to get the second together. It's not easy, certainly
do-able though.

cheers
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #14
Kat
Bad Email Address

Couldn't a fanfilm look at some of the survivors left behind on the colonies?
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #15
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Absolutely! The fan film I've been writing (and revising) deals with a few downed pilots just after the attack on the colonies. They come across some survivors and make plans to rendezvous with the fleet before it sets out. There are a few hiccups along the way.

In order to do an effective fan film I think one has to keep their strengths in mind and play to their assets. I have zero skills with CGI so any of that in my fan film will have to be done by someone else. So I chose to keep it simple without a lot of CGI required.

I'm also trying to keep it to around half an hour to forty minutes of story split into a bunch of smaller episodes. Even that is a bit over the top.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #16
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
Couldn't a fanfilm look at some of the survivors left behind on the colonies?
that´s the direction fan films for BSG could take easily.
Quote:
monolith21
Absolutely! The fan film I've been writing (and revising) deals with a few downed pilots just after the attack on the colonies. They come across some survivors and make plans to rendezvous with the fleet before it sets out. There are a few hiccups along the way.

In order to do an effective fan film I think one has to keep their strengths in mind and play to their assets. I have zero skills with CGI so any of that in my fan film will have to be done by someone else. So I chose to keep it simple without a lot of CGI required.

I'm also trying to keep it to around half an hour to forty minutes of story split into a bunch of smaller episodes. Even that is a bit over the top.
its is a good idea.

you could indeed have a few warriors downed and run across some survivors

its a do able prospect ,,

you could have CGI represent the parts of the original attack or use scene from the film .. other than that cgi of space or planet shots as your story progress .. but there are a few program out there that are free to use for cgi .

Look forward to seen it

Old February 10th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #17
monolith21
Squadron Leader

The hardest set will be shuttle wreckage. I know a few people that would be happy to work on fan films. All I really need to is to find someone with the visual effects skills to reign me in a bit and work up a plan for a realistic amount of CGI for this thing.

I know of two other fan films that are going into production very soon. Very fun!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #18
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
I know of two other fan films that are going into production very soon. Very fun!
osBSG fanfilms ?

ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #19
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Well, I have done my post OS Callisto series of short films which I call mini-eps. In fact, I am to begin editing the second part of my last one called Baltar's Revenge. All the footage is shot and I just need to edit it...stay tuned...

As always, Daniel will have it on his battlestarfanfilms site...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #20
Andromeda

Charybdis, watched your mini eps some time ago, good work
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #21
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

David Kerin had a wonderful idea a while back and did some CGI for it. It was NOT a prequel, nor was it on the big "G". But it was BSG universe for sure. What was it?

It was the story of some people that got left behind, refit a Colonial Mover into a mini battleship, and set out to catch up with the Fleet.

It had Vipers in it as well.

I can see a fan film made of that or something very similar.

Has anyone seen a bridge/interior of a Colonial Mover? Didn't think so. So any set building would be easy in that you are NOT tied down to a specific design.

Exterior shots? Use CGI. Plenty of good models to use.

The problem once again, is people for live action and people to create the CGI *in action*, not just creating models, but ANIMATING THEM in a high standard.

Want to go pure CGI? Then you need top of the line CHARACTER animators. And still need live people for voices.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #22
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
David Kerin had a wonderful idea a while back and did some CGI for it. It was NOT a prequel, nor was it on the big "G". But it was BSG universe for sure. What was it?

It was the story of some people that got left behind, refit a Colonial Mover into a mini battleship, and set out to catch up with the Fleet.

Has anyone seen a bridge/interior of a Colonial Mover? Didn't think so. So any set building would be easy in that you are NOT tied down to a specific design.

The problem once again, is people for live action and people to create the CGI *in action*, not just creating models, but ANIMATING THEM in a high standard.

Want to go pure CGI? Then you need top of the line CHARACTER animators. And still need live people for voices.

This is DEFINATELY a doable idea. Even if you keep the action within the Rag Tag Fleet, you just start pickign storylines along the line of "Take the Celestra" maybe investigaing a black market, or organized crime. out of 220 ships, we've seen maybe 6 interiors? that leaves EVERYTHINg open there.

Other survivors trying to catch up with the Galactica, or even just Galactica (or Pegasus) patrols on other planets. This is where you can use other costumers (star Wars, Star Trek, etc). Use the more generic costumes and change them a bit. Plenty more people to use and you throw in a few Colonial Warriors here and there.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #23
Vulpa II
Shuttle Pilot

Well, it looks like there are definitely some projects in the works! That's very exciting news!
It will be a great day when there are several choices for fans to see new adventures in the BSG universe.

I read some of the old threads over at ASAP, and I see where there were a few other osBSG projects that didn't quite make it to fruition. It's a shame.
Just watching Richard Hatch's "Second Coming" trailer brings a smile to my face knowing that a BSG fan film IS doable, and can look awesome!!
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #24
gmd3d
Major

Quote:

this is a possible project for BSG .. there is already some great cgi animators here Dave for one ....

I think a new thread should be opened asking members to submit ideas in "Complete Story Outline Form".

not just snippets of data or details but an blueprint for the story and the characters. the ships design and other things can be done later.

If its CGI ships and characters that will take time esp the characters.

If its live action with some cgi that will be quicker I would think.

Old February 18th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #25
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpa II View Post
Well, it looks like there are definitely some projects in the works! That's very exciting news!
It will be a great day when there are several choices for fans to see new adventures in the BSG universe.

I read some of the old threads over at ASAP, and I see where there were a few other osBSG projects that didn't quite make it to fruition. It's a shame.
Just watching Richard Hatch's "Second Coming" trailer brings a smile to my face knowing that a BSG fan film IS doable, and can look awesome!!
some of the projects where very ambitious and required a lot of local manpower and I think you need to keep away for the most part from the fleet and the Galactica as the main story focus at least for the first fan film. and real life can cause people to be in some place else at times

and I think also that if you using people and not cgi for characters you should plan it for the summer filming were you may get more people having free time . say 2 weeks for character shots etc

CGI can be done at anytime .

The Star Trek New Voyages group rented a warehouse or some thing for building sets .. are the BSG fan perpared to part with cash at this time to do the same possible not. unless someone knows someone with a large empty place to build sets (more money here.. unless you scavenge)

perhaps a story set on the worlds of the colonies should be done and the all you need is location, Location, location, leave the ship until the later part of the story.

Old February 18th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #26
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

One thing to remember, and I may be exaggerating, and I may not be...

For every one CBSG fan, there are probably 20 ST fans and probably 15 SW fans. Most likely even higher in numbers for ST and SW.

So a reason ST and SW have more fan films, and those being pretty fair quality? A MUCH larger fan base to pull talent and money from.

Unless a CBSG movie gets done and builds the CBSG fan base, then CBSG fan films will suffer.
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #27
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I completely agree! We are a smaller fan base. There are smaller, but we have a lot in common with the show that brought us together. Some times it feels like the odds are all stacked against us. I'll tell you this much though, our victories feel twice as sweet as "theirs".

I'd rather hang out with all of you any day of the week! Its taking us a while to get all the resources together for fan films, but I think we're getting there slowly but surely. Its true that the whole thing is taking us the better part of a decade but I think when we get there it will be fantastic!

Maybe the real question is what do we need to make fan films easier?

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 18th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #28
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Re: BSG Fanfilms - why so few, if any?

Quote:
Maybe the real question is what do we need to make fan films easier?
$$$$ & manpower.
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #29
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
$$$$ & manpower.
yeah .. on the spot manpower. definitely needed and willingness to spend money (not a possibility for many currently)

the CGI stuff is possible at anytime. and you have the animation talent here in Dave. and others. but with out whats mentioned above is a nice dream and nothing more.

I am involved with a Star Trek fan film at the moment (when I can between Crashes and BSOD) new characters a different ship from the norm and it will have animated characters. most of the voice actors are there.

so it up to the CGI end to meet the challenge.

I am building sets for it.

now this is my last fan film I am going to be working on. the only exception if its a BSG effort. other that that I have my own original stories I want to do and see if I can go beyond where I am now.

for almost 4 years I was building (and at the same time learning cgi so I did gain something) on the Battlestar Galactica: 14th Colony and its gone. site vanished and no word .. so I would pause for thought before joining another fan film for BSG.
there would have to be people I know form here involved.

the one fan story I always thought as I mentioned before that would be possible (difficult to do but there is the challenge) is Russell's Exodus story.

Its is a planet based story for the first half of the story (more or less) its a long time since I last listened to it.

its a possible one as it mostly focus on one main character .

that last `part of the story would need to be CGI character but its possible

Old February 19th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #30
Vulpa II
Shuttle Pilot

Sorry to ring in a bit late here....

WARRIOR - I don't think you overestimate those numbers at all. Just do a fan film search for Star Trek and you can see the numbers of productions - AND new ones starting every year!! wow!

TARANIS - I agree with you too! At this point, we all have is a "dream" to make a fan film. It's a shame the 14th Colony project went belly up. The film could have been the spearhead for others to rally behind.

I would like to quote Walt Disney at this point: "If you can dream it, you can build it".