Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Old May 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #1
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Muffit Free weekend... what to do??

I have the weekend off. My wife is going to LA for a conference and I get the time to myself.

I'm probably going to start a Galactica prop project this weekend and if it's something that's a little more involved, I'll at least have a good start. Or if it's something simple, I may just finish up and have images to show on Monday.

I'm just running down the list of possibilities. I was thinking of maybe:

the Colonial rifle
or
a severed IL-series (Lucifer) head like my Centurion
or
The colonial hand-held scanner
or
a Centurion sword
or
a cylon pistol

Those are all things that I've been looking at and would be something I could get rolling fairly quickly.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Of course, I will be continuing the Peter Noble helmet restoration as well. but it helps to keep momentum going if you can have one thing going and then when that needs a rest, you can switch to another thing for a while. Like they say, if you want something done, ask a busy person.

There are several small projects that will require work this weekend as well: Molding the aluminum solenite charge knobs so I can supply resin copies, possibly molding the laser cannons for Michael Miles' Desanto Viper, like that. But god I hate making molds.

-Gordon
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #2
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

All the suggestions you've made for yourself are very interesting.

Quote:
a severed IL-series (Lucifer) head like my Centurion
I've heard of this being done before, I think it was in reference to the guy who was very rude to Bluesquad and WarriorChemist. In which case I'm less interested in seeing his work. To see one of these done by yourself would be very interesting.

All these prop replicas make me really wish I am had the spare cash to get some, but current work contracts dictate paydays are every 6 months...and the first is some months away....oh well...will still be interested in seeing the pix online.
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Suggestion: Boomer's binoculars from LPOTG Part 1.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #4
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
Well, Peter....

If I had ANY sort of reference for those I'd be on that project like stink on daggit poo.

Anybody know anything about them? Got any reference? Part numbers? Images?

I'd LOVE to make them and if they aren't that all-fired complex, I'd like to figure out a way to offer up a kit or modification parts for the off-the-shelf base.

Okay Peter... now you're in trouble. I need reference!!!

-Gordon
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #5
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Can I just vote instead? I would like to see Lucifer's head...on a plate.....maybe in the middle of some mushies!

Seriously, Lucifer's head would be BEYOND cool!

Did I miss out on the new helmets? Are they done yet or are you on break?
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #6
evil_genius_180
Warrior

I like the Lucifer's head idea also, and a poll would be a great idea. People who don't want to vote on the poll could just type in suggestions in the thread.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #7
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
All the suggestions you've made for yourself are very interesting.

I've heard of this being done before, I think it was in reference to the guy who was very rude to Bluesquad and WarriorChemist. In which case I'm less interested in seeing his work. To see one of these done by yourself would be very interesting.

All these prop replicas make me really wish I am had the spare cash to get some, but current work contracts dictate paydays are every 6 months...and the first is some months away....oh well...will still be interested in seeing the pix online.
That would be Max. He's really not that bad a guy. Just a little bold at times. He really does great work and has been in the biz for many years.

But I'm not here to defend him again.

As for replica props... if you can't afford 'em, BUILD 'EM! That's what I do. I know, I know... lets hear the lament....

"But I'm not talented enough..."
"I don't have the equipment..."
"I don't have the time..."
"I don't know how..."

I hear it every day. The only way to get past these things is to DO. Lemme tell ya... I've made BUNCH of crappy props in my day. And every one brings a lesson with it. Add all the lessons up and you get experience. Talent. Equipment.

I know a guy who makes kick ass replicas of stuff out of cardboard. Yup...scavenged cardboard from the backs of writing tablets, pizza boxes, you name it. His stuff is absolutely gorgeous. He did a TOS Trek Phaser Rifle that puts most to shame. And all out of free cardboard.

There's a woman in England who makes Daggits. Stuffed Daggits. Daggits with spots. Green daggits. Pink and purple daggits. She sews them and they are very lovely. She sells them occasionally on ebay. You could sew your own Daggit.

Need something simpler? There are some great free paper models online of the Colonial Viper, the Snow Ram, and the Cylon Raider. All you ned is some glue, some tape, a scissors and a printer.

And then there's always the barter system. What do you have lots of? Trade it! it takes time and wrangling, but you can start with practically nothing and trade your way to having a downright decent collection. Just takes a little smarts and a few connections. You got those.

Always supportive,

Gordon
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #8
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeAthena
Can I just vote instead? I would like to see Lucifer's head...on a plate.....maybe in the middle of some mushies!

Seriously, Lucifer's head would be BEYOND cool!

Did I miss out on the new helmets? Are they done yet or are you on break?
New helmets? Not on MY schedule, sis.

That was under the BlueSquad project list. I'm not doin' no helmets.

Except the Baltar helmet kits... which I will have two more of for sale soon. Just kits mind you. NOT finished helmets. They'll be $200 for the kit plus shipping. I'll announce when they arrive.

-G
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #9
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
I hear it every day. The only way to get past these things is to DO.
Gordon, I see the character of what you are suggesting, and the good spirirt it is meant in.

However, a while ago I learned to focus on my skills and talents, not try and emulate other people's because I wanted what they had. With that, out went the pipe dreams to be a footballer, artist or rock star. And in came on focusing on my trade of multimedia cd-rom design, and album co-ordination, leading to me representing the lead singer of my favourite band and starting my own record label.

At the moment all my resources are directed towards making a success of those challenges I have set myself. When those have come to fruitian I will be able to reward myself. I have developed new skills such as teaching myself Dreamweaver to make my website, but to me patience or trading my way up seems the more natural avenue.

Now I just need to find some ultra rare Playmodile characters.....
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #10
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
I know of a film with a scene they would look great in.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #11
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Gordon, I see the character of what you are suggesting, and the good spirirt it is meant in.

However, a while ago I learned to focus on my skills and talents, not try and emulate other people's because I wanted what they had. With that, out went the pipe dreams to be a footballer, artist or rock star. And in came on focusing on my trade of multimedia cd-rom design, and album co-ordination, leading to me representing the lead singer of my favourite band and starting my own record label.

At the moment all my resources are directed towards making a success of those challenges I have set myself. When those have come to fruitian I will be able to reward myself. I have developed new skills such as teaching myself Dreamweaver to make my website, but to me patience or trading my way up seems the more natural avenue.

Now I just need to find some ultra rare Playmodile characters.....
I'm glad you took it in the intended spirit!

Lets see... Playmobil...

There's a whole new passle of sets coming out including an armory and a medieval kitchen. They aren't available in the US yet.

And hmmm... there's a whle new bunch of ROMAN sets coming out soon too. in Europe, first of course. They need to test them out with responsible kids before they go foisting the new stuff on our pathetically stupid American children.

But you've got stuff going on that I think is cool. So no point wondering if the grass is greener, eh?

-Gordon
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #12
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sept17th

I know of a film with a scene they would look great in.
Well then... get to WORK!

FIND ME THAT REFERENCE!!

Jeez... its so hard to find trustworthy lackeys these days...

Just jokin'!

But seriously, I've crammed my eyeballs up against the screen while watching LPOTG and i just can't manage to get a good look at those things. They've been one of the more tantalizing props hanging out in the back of my mind simply because they are so elusive.

I'd love to make copies. But I want them to be right. Otherwise there's no point in spending the effort.

So if anyone can help me find images or shots of the real prop from somewhere, that'd be ultra cool. I'm totally on-board with making them if I can get good reference.

How's THAT for pressure?

-G
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #13
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Gordon.....well if I stumble on a promotional Playmobil item I promise you'll be the first of all the 1 people I know who collects them. But if I buy something here in Europe, I might as well have bought the props direct !

Your work is excellent, and I hope if you bought a album I had worked on you would think the same of mine work......I certainly I hope to be able to afford the gold council seal box and officer's mug at some point, but I have learned patience.......for now......

My grass is growing greener the more I work at it.........
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #14
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Lucifer sounds cool.

Also see.

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=12474

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #15
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Looks like the votes are in and it appears that the IL Series Cylon head is the winner hands-down.

Any visual reference will be greatly appreciated. Screen caps, jpegs, photos of the real item, whatever.

Ready? Set! GO!!!

-Gordon
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #16
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

I'm looking forwards to seeing pictures of this. Will you be making just one, or making a batch of them to offer for sale ?

Lucifer's eyes changed halfway through the series. At first they were a thin line of red very much like a very minature version of KITT's red line. Later on in the series they had been replaced with far larger LEDs. I think this lost some of the menace to Lucifer, a backward step in my view.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #17
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Lucifer was DA MAN!

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #18
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Wink

Quote:
I'm looking forwards to seeing pictures of this. Will you be making just one, or making a batch of them to offer for sale ?

Lucifer's eyes changed halfway through the series. At first they were a thin line of red very much like a very minature version of KITT's red line. Later on in the series they had been replaced with far larger LEDs. I think this lost some of the menace to Lucifer, a backward step in my view.
If any offers are made, it will be in KIT form. The Grog mugs I just offered recently were a complete aberration. I hate doing production work!

A Lucifer kit would probably be , at minimum, a clear two-piece vac-formed head kit. If it becomes necessary to spice it up, and depending on how the original was built, it might extend to some translucent resin castings to put in behind the eyes and the mouth. The rest would be up to the modeler. I'm no electrician, so the blinkies would be up to them too.

But at this point, I still need reference! Help me!!!

-G
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #19
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Okay, so I need, specifically, a profile shot of Lucifer.

Can anyone screen grab for me? I'd appreciate it greatly!

-Gordon

P.S. I wanna thank you guys for being such able "enablers". I love it when a co-dependent relationship comes together!

Wihtout you guys, I wouldn't be bale to indulge my obsessive compulsive building instinct (some call it a sickness).
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #20
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

I'll see if my DVD player can do that. If so I will make a load and save them all in a .zip file. You're wanting a variety of shots including close-ups, back/side of the head etc ?

As well as Lucifer, the was also Spectre in 1 episode and 2 unnamed IL series Cylons in Living Legend Part II. I think there were some variations, so if you were to make this a kit it could be more than just Lucifer. I'll see what I can do for screengrabs of those too....
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #21
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

In the process of making you a few dozen screengrabs of varying angle and proximity to the 4 IL Series Cylons who appeared in the show....
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #22
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

For a limited time only.......

www.battlestarfanfilms.com/ILseries.zip

(38 images of Lucifer, Spectre and the two unnamed IL Series Cylons who appeared in Living Legend Part II)
(8.49MB)
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #23
spcglider
Squadron Leader

THANK YOU ERNIE!!! YOU ROCK! YOU DA MAN!! ACES, DUDE!!!

-Gordon (appreciative)
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #24
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

I rock ? No, I just pressed a few buttons.

You're the guy who can create prop replicas, it would challenge me just to paint them !!!! Then again I'd like to see you as a multimedia designer

I wish you all the best fo luck this weekend designing this IL head....I really hope we'll be able to see pictures....
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #25
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Okay, but keep in mind, this isn't the TV show "FX". I can't just pull this stuff magically out of my afterburners!

Lucifer is going to be a challenge. He's very organic and yet symmetrical. This is also a larger thing overall than most of the props I've built from Galactica. I'll be at the shop most of the day Saturday and part of Sunday. We'll see how far I get in that time.

But honestly, I truly appreciate the lightning response from you guys. its incredibly helpful.

-Gordon
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #26
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Thanks to everybody who leapt to and got me the deluge of images!

You guys rock!

-G
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #27
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Well, i ca tell you what I WON'T be doing this weekend... I WON"T be learning how to get screen grabs since one of the numb-nuts dorks that work with me took the MAC OS X Panther software home and didn't bring it back.

In order to get my Mac to recognize the portable DVD player, I need to reboot with the same OS or higher so that it recognizes that i need the DVD app and plops it in when it is setting up.

Grrrr.

-Gordon
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #28
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Well, its Monday and I didn't get nearly as far as I had hoped.

In fact, the weekend was rather pathetic. I believe I have discovered a new food allergy!

I completely blew off Mother's Day (I hate Hallmark Holidays) and told my mom that I'd stop out on Wednesday or Thursday.

Blah blah blah.

In short, I had a kinda crappy weekend and not much got accomplished.

Now I face the long dark of sculpting the IL Series face. I got the full-scale drawings made up in front and side views and managed to make up wooden bases with profile spines running down the center. I'm not sure if these will be used as part of the finished vac-form mold or if they are going to be cast-off. I could very well make plaster bucks to vacuum-form over from my original sculpt if I decide to do it in something maleable.

Yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, there's still a ton more work to do on Lucifer's head.

Shoulda went for the colonial rifle.... :P

-Gordon
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #29
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Dread not my dear. Isn't there some rule about how these things always take 1000 times longer than they should?

Maybe that is just for me.
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #30
spcglider
Squadron Leader

only 1K longer??? I'm in trouble.

-G