Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Merchandise & Memorabilia
Notices

Old May 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Question Custom action figures

Does anyone here have an interest in doing custom action figures in either 1:6 scale or 1:9 scale?

A friend of mine in the 1:9 scale genre did a very nice custom of Apollo (using a modified Luke Duke head), custom made uniform and holster, and sculpted helmet.

It even had the symbol for the Pegasus on the left sleeve!

It was awesome, and it brought to my mind how us fans were basically jerked over by Kenner.

It would have been better if Mego had gotten a hold of the license as their figures were better. Completely articulated, real clothing instead of molded plastic, and great accessories.

I'm currently waiting on a custom 1:6 Bruce Lee head, and in June enterbay is going to release a really great new articulated male figure, with great definition and three extra sets of hands.

I think that Bruce would have made a kick-butt Colonial Warrior had he lived. It's too bad that he got out of TV after he rebelled against typecasting and went to Hong Kong.

Anyone else who shares that kind of interest, PM or email me and we'll chew the virtual fat on it.

Oh, I'm going to the Big Apple Con in June.

Who else is going and how can I recognize you? Will you all be in a group? Or is it just going to be one or two individuals. Cons are no fun if there's no one the hang out with and compare merchandise, gripe about jacked up prices, and giggle like teenagers over our favorite fandom.
Captain Chirri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #2
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Custom action figures

I'm definitely interested in such ventures! Got any pics?
-Mark

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I have a custom Lt Edan Figure using the Majestic 1:6 scale figures. It goes very well with the Apollo, Starbuck and Adama figures I have (I'll add Tigh, Athena Boomer and Cain at the very least as they are released)

I do have at least one more complete Male Warrior's Uniform and a Adama uniform I'd like to have sized down so when I get the Athena Figure, I have the option to put her into the Bridge Uniform. Can your friend resize the uniform down to a female figure size?

For the Edan figure, I used the BBI G3.5 body. It had the best articulation balanced with being a very large body. (muscular) For the head, I got a Resin Telly Salvalase Head off of Ebay and had a friend add a mustache and goatee to it and then paint it up.

I have since gotten a few other custom Bald heads that I'm thinking of having "life-like" goatees added (the GI Joe flocked hair) and seeing which head I like best for Edan.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Nope, no pics.

And my friend is out of the customizing gig, so I doubt that he can scale it down for you.

Try going to MenWithDolls.com. They have all sorts of neat tricks in order to do customization in the 1:6 scale.

Although most of their stuff is sword/sorcery based.

I know one guy, Auret, who makes wonderful custom weapons: swords, cutlasses, guns, etc.

There's a lot of talent on that board so feel free to take a look.

You'd have to register in order to ask questions, though.

I sent a message to another friend of mine, asking if he was planning in doing Colonial Warrior helmets in the 1:9 scale, but I haven't heard back from him.
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Just ordered a Starbuck action figure from Toyglobe. It is 7 inches tall, articulated, complete with helmet, blaster, and other goodies.

I am going to be using the uniform as a base for my own custom figure. Once I get the body, and some material to use for a mock-up.

I'm also going to see if a friend of mine would be willing to sculpt some heads for me.

I'd want original sculpts of the actors for my figs, not some altered premade rotocast thing.

Although, I do have an Ivanhoe head that I think would be very fetching as a Colonial Warrior.

The hardest part will be the boots; those are going to be a b**** to make.
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #6
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Man those Joyride figures have gone way up in price! They are great but I always wished they would have put them in more upright positions.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Did I mention I'm also getting the 11.5 inch ones from Amok Time?

Those are going to be even better. I'll probably be getting them next week.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #8
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chirri View Post
Did I mention I'm also getting the 11.5 inch ones from Amok Time?

Those are going to be even better. I'll probably be getting them next week.
Those are the ones I have and made the custome of my character with. Very light on detail on the tunics, but overall, nice figures! I can't wait for my Athena Figures and CAIN!!! lol

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #9
monolith21
Squadron Leader

That Cain figure is going to be awesome!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #10
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I need pics of Lt Edan hanging with Starbuck!! lol

Old June 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #11
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

I just got the Toyglobe action figure of Starbuck, and I have to say that I am disappointed in it. Little to no articulation, I lost the pistol five seconds after opening the figure, and the costume, while somwhat accurate, is simply molded plastic.

All in all, I give a possible three out of ten points.

The other figures by AmokTime are somewhat better, but not perfect. The sculpt of Starbuck looks almost nothing like Dirk Benedict, although the costume is somewhat better, as it's removable. The articulation is much better, and the accessories aren't so easy to lose.

The Apollo figure looks somewhat better, but not by much. It does resemble Richard Hatch more than the Starbuck figure resembles Dirk, but it's not a dead on likeness.

I'm sure that any customizer can do a better job on the costumes; using micro suede for the jackets, and a better quality knit for the shirt, and a crisper material for the trousers.

The boots, being molded rubber, are okay. At least they won't split like ordinary plastic.

*Sigh*. I should just buckle down and make the bloody things myself.

At least I can use the mini Starbuck's uniform as a basis for the one that I have in mind.

Wish me luck
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Red Eye
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
That Cain figure is going to be awesome!
Agreed, but I hope they'll add his battle baton and a Viper helmet with Pegasus crest insignia...
Red Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #13
Jubal
Warrior

About the 1978 line of figures...

When I was recently collecting the TRON Legacy figures, I thought back on the 1978 "core" figure line. You know, the Star Wars figure size ones.

I actually got ahold of a Starbuck figure that was modified to a Boomer figure. That was cool. I look forward to turning another Starbuck into a Apollo.

I would like to make little jackets for them.

And here is something that kills me about the BSG 1978 core line... NO VEHICLES? Really?

What are three things that made BSG cool?

1) The Warrior Jacket.
2) Cylons as hulking knights
3) The Vipers

The core 1978 line only had Cylons. I mean they tried to have a gold Cylon to counter the lack of a jacket or the viper, but as you can see it just didn't hold it through. :P

So first off, the Buck Rogers line had a Land Rover that I think could easily be modified for a BSG land rover. (It was basically the same rover reused for both.)

But a core figure scale VIPER should have been made. That would have been so epic!

And have the Viper come with a helmet for the core figure to wear.

Man if I had a viper for my action figures to fit in, I might have never bought the X-Wing. I mean the X-Wing was cool, but the Viper beat all.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:06 PM   #14
Jubal
Warrior

By the Lords of Kobol, you have got to see this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battlestar-G...item2314aaaf3e

This guy has this cool shuttle.. that is toy scale. Also selling a RV land ram, custom figures, just amazing.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote