Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Colonial Library
Notices
Colonial Library Grab a glass of ambrosa and wrap yourself around stories, written by residents of our little corner of the universe!

Old May 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Comments on Tabbicat's story--

WOW! Tabbi, I've only gotten to read a little of what you've posted so far. It seems that you too have an affinity for Tom Clancy-esque storytelling. Very nicely done, what I've seen so far. I shall have to break from my schedule to read your stuff.

Keep up the awesome work!

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #2
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Default Some comments on THE CHROME BERETS.

This is an extremely good story.

As Martok has written it follows closely the format of Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy.

Some technical notes........

1. Plasma weapons use a speed of light ground path. There is no technical reason for a .17 c upper bound limit. The only limit is charge impedence and that by the nature of the weapon would have to be non-existent in a vacuum to make the weapon viable. In an atmosphere the weapon would look act and behave exactly like lightning.

2. Scramjets cease operation at 35000 meters. Above that altitude you use rockets.

3. Radio operates at the speed of light..

4. I would use railguns instead of gause launchers. Railguns are mechanically simpler, don't have the impedence problems or heat loading that a gause launcher has. Both weapons suffer from barrel coil or rail spread and projectiile erosion.

For that reason a pure energy weapon either beam or bolt that carries the same kind of heatloading and charge damage potential is superior to the equivalent kinetic at the energies being used in the story descriptions.

5. The description of ground combat is quite good. Just a little note. You either hit the tank in the engine and fuel or you go for a crew kill. Shoot the commander sticking out of the hatch, or try for a shot in the turret bustle,. Thin armor both places.

6. Why do the Cylons need a communication's satellite if they have space vehicles in orbit with radios?

7. Quantum event encryption is unbreakable. Do the Cylons use it?

8. http://www.ead.anl.gov/pub/doc/tritium.pdf

Tritium is not a solid metal in its normal found state here on Earth. It is a hydrogen isotope gas, that is used as a warhead booster in US nuclear weapons.

9. There is an interesting contrast in how two people write about the same subject.

http://p211.ezboard.com/fbabylon5tec...picID=96.topic

Tabbi's is definitely the better written story.

As always;
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote