Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 8th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #61
WarMachine
Warrior

Default Re: Canon Question--12 colonies

Well, for some reason I don't think I ever ran across this thread, but I cannot see any of the maps, as the links appear to be dead

When JJR and I worked on the tech bible for the 14th Colony (14/CTB), our assumption was a single, trinary system, with several Colony worlds being moons of gas giants ('GG').

As to the radiation questions, in RL it is true that inside a certain distance, GG radiation is lethal to Humans - however, outside the band, lethal radiation falls off precipitously, leaving aside the issue of GG-moon Van Allen belts.

Although I don't believe we ever speculated on how there came to be 12 habitable planets in the 14/CTB, I have speculated elsewhere (have to find that link) on the existance of a "prep team" that went ahead and "fixed" (i.e., "terraformed") the rest of the 12 Colonies' worlds...
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #62
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I think the other show uses a trinary system for it's explanation of the 12 Colonies.
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #63
WarMachine
Warrior

That's the angle Joss Wheedon took with Firefly - all of those 70-ish planets were in one star system that was at least a binary.
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #64
gmd3d
Major

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This is the only image I could find

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #65
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

From the Battlestar Wiki:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BattleOfCimtar_map.jpg (701.2 KB, 21 views)
Old November 23rd, 2018, 09:20 PM   #66
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmentary View Post
Considering that humanity was a group of refugees upon having to leave Kobol, it is pretty incredible that they found a single solar system containing at the minimum, 12 habitable planets, all of which allowed for parallel physical development. And from that single solar system, with its limited resources they were able to build a space faring empire (at least capable of light speed travel) that lasted several thousand yahrens. And presumably, never in all that time did they ever find another single world that developed either a tactical or economic significance enough to carry the political weight of the 12 original colonies. That’s established by the fact that only the 12 colonies are represented in the quorum.

It seems to me that idea is pretty hard to swallow. Especially compared to the idea that each world is in its own solar system, each with its own natural resources to exploit and trade. That would also immediately establish a pretty sizable galactic territory (fictionally, not scientifically) and might help to explain how a group of basically refugees could rise to become the most powerful force in the known Galactica universe. There isn’t anything specifically saying that all 12 colonies were founded at the same time is there? Maybe Caprica came first, and from there as exploration spread out, the next colony came along and the next until in the end there were 12 powerful homeworlds and numerous smaller sub-colonies or outposts.

I just can’t believe in all that space that the Colonials traversed over millennia, none of the worlds ever grew strong enough to rate a new colonial power.

Fragmentary

Given that the technology of Kobol was presumed to be beyond even what the Colonies possessed on the eve of Cimtar, it is entirely possible that, upon arrival, they used it to Koboloiform the worlds they found, making the Cyrannus System capable of supporting the refugees, on each planet. Then, once settlement was achieved, they destroyed their technology, as Adama says in LPOTG, and the settlers had to climb back up from mud huts and digging sticks, to where they were when the Holocaust happened.
Just my take.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote