Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #1
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Default Making our own continuation ????

Hi all,

This room of Colonial Fleets is called 'What Dreams May Come' I like many others have signed the petitions and hoped that we might get a continuation.....

As we wait, and more episodes of the re-imagining are commissioned, I worry that we may never seen a continuation happen. I don't want to be defeatist, but....

I know there is all the hopes to do with Larson's various Battlestar Projects. A film set onboard the Battlestar Pegasus, a Battlestar Atlantis project etc. I don't know what is wrong with the Battlestar Galactica, but I worry that we may never see a continuation set onboard her.....

If it is possible we may never see these dreams come true as made by others... Could we make our own ????

I was really impressed with the work on the Foundation Galactica file we have downloaded. The Battlestar Millennia project, and David Moss's work has all been great. There is also a crossover battle called galactic.mpg which is Excellent....

With all this skill and talent WITHIN the fanbase, which has been so dissappointed by the efforts of 'the powers that be' can't we make our own ?

Made by the fans, for the fans, as the fans want it to be.....??????

If you take all the time spent on talking about it, signing petitions, writing letters, fan fiction, making various fanfilms, and audio continuations and put them all together into one effort to make our own Battlestar Galactica Continuation episode, it could work......

I'll admit more of the work might fall on some more than others, depending on talents, but at the end we would have what we have always wanted....

The 'Powers That Be' might take notice if the fans bypass the studio and make one for themselves as they are sick of waiting......

I'd be very interested in the thoughts of others on this ????

Best Wishes,

Daniel
Ernie90125
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #2
gmd3d
Major

Interesting idea making are own movie have a look at this site http://www.exeterstudio.com/ is this what you have in mind??
I only came across this site today

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #3
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

This is EXACTLY what I meant as far as I can see. I was not aware of this project before, and whilst I haven't yet viewed their creation, it shows my idea is possible....

But we have a HUGE advantage over their efforts, and that a production of BSG like this could use the extra footage created during the Second Coming filming, and we would have some of the original cast in ours !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (In co-operation with Richard hatch of course...)

This link above, prives it is possible. It would also surely be an eye-opener for the studios to realise we could make one for ourselves, without them.....

Might get them a little worried and they might change their attitude ????

Thanks for this link,

Ernie90125
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:13 PM   #4
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Galactica fans have always struck me as the most creative in terms of their ability to channel their own talents in a way where there can be as many true continuations to our heart's content. For those like myself it's the world of fanfic that has been an obsession for the last decade and enabled me to maintain my love of Galactica all these years. For others, it's been through art and still others their own ways of making a movie.

Of course since we as Galactica fans suffer from the inability to get novels published with the same kind of frequency that say, Star Trek and Star Wars novels get published, this ultimately shows I think how much we're motivated to do these kind of things out of the sheer love for the property we have. We know it'll never pay us a nickel for our efforts, but boy are the results usually worth it from our own standpoints once we're done.

Knowing there are outlets like that is why I can accept things if a movie continuation never happens (as I fear is the case), and as one who's devoted a lot of time to my own creative efforts, more power to those fans who are doing likewise in their own way!
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:00 PM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

At this point I am wondering if fan projects are all that we have left.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:14 PM   #6
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
At this point I am wondering if fan projects are all that we have left.
That could well be, but it is something we can lean on. I have found that those behind a fan project often have the luxury of knowing the details of the series a lot better than those who would get paid to do a project. Case in point being how fanfic is a lot better at getting the details of the series than any of Hatch's novels have. Those are about as un-Galactica as the miniseries is from my standpoint.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 05:44 PM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

IMHO Hatch's books had to be reimagined in order not to step on Larson's toes. To use actual episode references footnotes would be required.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:03 PM   #8
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
IMHO Hatch's books had to be reimagined in order not to step on Larson's toes. To use actual episode references footnotes would be required.
That's an interesting theory, but if true, would only indicate to me that he and his ghostwriter suffered from the same disconnect that Moore and company suffer from. If Richard thinks a "continuation" means just seeing familiar character names played by the same actors he's mistaken, because I think for most of us, what we want to see is a building upon what was established in the series. Galactica is not like Star Trek where every episode of the original series was a formula episode and there was no developing storylines or character growth.

I don't agree that referring to past episodes would require footnotes. I've written plenty of stories myself where a reference to a past episode can easily be worked into a paragraph or less of narrative without bogging things down.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:31 AM   #9
bsg1fan1975
Major

I agree with Kingfish. There would have to be some form of acknowledgement of where the material came from. It is a basic requirement in any writing project!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:28 AM   #10
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975
I agree with Kingfish. There would have to be some form of acknowledgement of where the material came from. It is a basic requirement in any writing project!
Except that the novels all say "based on the television series created by Glen A. Larson" which means the legal requirement is fulfilled for the novels to be true continuation stories. Hatch uses characters introduced in episodes like Iblis, Cain etc. so I don't think it's a question of him being legally compelled to "reimagine." I think it's more a case of him and his ghostwriter thinking they don't need to go back and rewatch the episodes to make sure the story fits into what was established, and their gross underestimation of how much the fanbase knows these episodes.

Richard's commentary on the DVD of Saga was revealing in that he basically acknowledged that the theatrical cut of the pilot was just about the only thing he had seen often in the years since, and he was taken aback by all the scenes part of the telecast not part of the theatrical cut (as were Dirk and Herb). While Richard may not have had the time to watch these episodes, his ghostwriter at least should have done so to smooth out the gaping holes in consistency with the Galactica universe we're familiar with. That's why for me the novels are totally unsatisfying reads and no better than the miniseries.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:31 AM   #11
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

I have recently been in discussion with one of the guys who was part of the original 5yearmission.com team, and we have been batting around some thoughts about this. Coupled with some other fan projects I have seen, I am convinced fans could make a good BSG movie. The problem is that unless we recast the roles, doing a direct continuation would be difficult. Our tentative idea at the moment is to have another ship join the fleet just after the HOG episode, and use culled footage from TOS episodes to transition the stories to those about our new heros.

It’s in the brainstorming phase at the moment, and may go exactly where the Larson projects have so far gone (nowhere), but it has intriguing possibilities.

As for rights…my understanding is that as long as you aren’t looking to make money from it, and don’t use anything that is trademarked, you can use almost anything. That is why fan fiction can exist even in published form.

BT
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #12
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

You mentioned that you were brainstorming an idea for a BSG fanfilm. Since I originated this thread, please may I be a part of this ?

It would be really great if that would be possible, I hope you will get back to me...

Best Wishes,

Ernie90125
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:14 AM   #13
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

I don't know how you would finance a fan-generated continuation with TOS actors. As much as they love BSG, they would want to be paid After all, this is their livelihood.

I think a fan-generated continuation along the likes of what they're doing at www.5yearmission.com would be a lot more feasible. Of course, doing it that way you wouldn't have TOS actors, which the vast majority of the people here want.

There are no easy answers to this that I see.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:15 AM   #14
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

warhammerdriver: there are costs to everything, no matter how much volunteering we can do ourselves. If we can financially as well as contributed skills-wise work together on this: Why not have some of the folks that brought us BG get paid to reprise their roles? (Provided we could work out all that nitty gritty union junk, we'd likely be able to freely show the thing and the first place I'd want to send it is make it in Quicktime and put it on Apple's site. It just needs a card at the end saying it's a fan produced piece and no income is being made on it--it's a gift to all other Galactica fans, to show what could be done. The quicktime site is how LOTR was so heavily anticipated 2 yrs before it released.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:09 PM   #15
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Jewels, I realize there are costs to everything. My point (poorly made on retrospect) is that could a fan-generated continuation afford TOS actors?

I agree that no profit could be made on such an endeavor. Paramount has reviewed 5yearmissions' efforts and because any "profit" is going to charity, they have not stopped 5year's work. I think that Universal would do the same if any fan-generated project turned any excess monies over to a charity.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:41 PM   #16
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

*ahem* in return! But you may like to notice that I started this thread way before you started yours...! I do hope that *ahem* did not question the integrity of my starting this thread ??? This is of course, Not too important at all, what IS important is that I am very pleased too see it has, slowly but surely, got people thinking about the idea...

I am very pleased to see the posts about this idea here and hope that it is making the idea a little more likely ? We do of course have one thing that could be very valueable above and beyond what the Trek people have....

It is my understanding, and I welcome corrections if this is not the case, that Richard Hatch filmed a 30min Short Film during the 'Second Coming Filming Sessions' ?

If he were willing, we could have a Continuation episode WITH original cast members in !!!

This would finally give us dedicated fans a reward for our Continuation efforts. And it would back up the CFF immeasurably.....
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:28 AM   #17
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Not touchy, just reading into the start of your post as if it was of greater significance....? If you played this down in your second post, then I to keep the peace, will also play this down.....

>Good luck with your project.

This isn't 'my' project, but ALL our projects. So, I would like to be the first to publicly say, if this project is happening, I would like to offer my skills as a Multimedia Designer to help make this a reality....

Anyone else ???
Old June 1st, 2004, 07:49 AM   #18
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Maybe we need to set up an on-line chat session at some point, to brainstorm this out a bit more. Ernie, of course you can be involved. This needs to be a fan project, and needs to get fandom involved at some point because of the resources that exist out there.

Warrior, I’d love to post to a similar thread on BG.com, but I don’t belong to that board. I registered, but there seems to be some glitch that hasn’t been resolved.

I am certain this can be done, and done well. Coupled with the 5yearmission project, there is a Star Wars fan flic that really convinced me of this. I can’t think of the name off the top of my head, but it was by two brothers. The coolest thing about it was that their use of physical sets was very limited, using mostly CGI, yet it looked incredibly good.

On a slightly separate note, but only slightly, as another fan project I am slowly gearing up to do, I am planning on doing a Lucas on the original series. I want to re-edit them: clean up some of the continuity issues, insert some of the really good stuff originally cut out for length (now that we have a lot of it from the DVDs), and possibly add some new CGI shots for space shots or for interior processes that were implied but never shown. This will also be a good resource and test process for some of the CGI that would be needed for a continuation.

I will probably be putting out the call for assistance for this at some point in the near future.
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:15 AM   #19
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Thanks for replying again JustJackRandom. I would be very interested in doing a Chat with everyone - just as long as it is not in the middle of the night (UK Time) like the later CFF ones were !!!

JJR - where can we find details about your efforts on the projects you are mentioning ? I must admit I am loathed to join yet another board, to talk about the same things already mentioned here, but I am interested in learning more about your efforts...

Please come back and tell more when you can...

Best Wishes,

Ernie90125
Old June 1st, 2004, 09:27 AM   #20
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Ernie90125, I appreciate the enthusiasm. Since both of these projects have yet to move beyond the planning phase, neither Mick (my partner in crime in these projects) nor I feel we should put up any formal site to them. As I said, the second is being slowly geared up for, and the continuation may not come about from our efforts at all. Both of us have other commitments that call upon what little spare time we have for over a third of the year. I am the history instructor and we both perform at a renaissance fair (I am not from England, I just play an Englishman on weekends ). We just finished our run, and so our time will be opening up somewhat. My first task will be finishing my Galactica tech web site (http://www.geocities.com/gilesdancer/index.html). Once that’s done, I’ll probably open a section on the site to track where we are with the other projects.

Thanks again,

Bill
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:51 AM   #21
julix
Bad Email Address

I would also like to know of any upcomming chats...So if you guys could keep me posted.

Julix
julix is offline   Reply With Quote