Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 24th, 2003, 09:59 AM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default What kindled your interest?

Folks,

Here's an easy mission for EVERYONE -- (and NO EXCUSES, FULL participation is strongly suggested on this one)!!

Please read the post* by Captain Tux, originally posted at the Cylon Alliance:

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...5&postcount=25

Please contribute your thoughts.

Finally, something GOOD to talk about!!!

BST

* Since the original link, to the Cylon Alliance post, no longer exists, Please click on the link, to read Captain Tux's post in its entirety.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.

Last edited by BST; September 11th, 2006 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: CA link no longer exists
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 11:17 AM   #2
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I'm being lazy: here's what I wrote to the folks in that thread, and anyone else with the time to read:

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:09 pm__ _Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys and Gals:
thank you for all the jokes and Tux, BST, Larocque and Malkyte: thanks for refocusing the effort to get back into why I and possibly many of us (if I can be stereotypical for a second) joined any of these boards in the first place: I believed the original premise of the BSG story had relevence and important things to say to the people of our time. Sadly that point was lost on the current production leadership.

I think Scifi shot themselves in the foot in not doing a remake in the style of having say Starbuck and Apollo tell the story of the original pilot, having younger actors playing the younger them in flashback style. I see it as a grievous marketing mistake on Scifi's part. Then they could continue the story from 2 points: movies for the TOS cast & the next gen. and a "bridge" series for remaking the original series (I don't think you have to tell all the same stories to do that, which is why I'm calling it a bridge. The fleet obviously had many adventures over the intervening 25 yahren which weren't highlighted in the 17 episodes that we have).

I think the direction that SciFi has taken is the riskiest marketing thing they could have done: They alienated an extremely loyal fanbase, the people who reminded them that the property existed. And then they screwed everything that actually worked about the show in the first place.

I'm going to dwell on one point of TOS that made it's dark premise into a strength: The HOPE.
Their civilization had just been decimated, but they stood on what they had left: a rag-tag fleet and their faith that the 13th tribe existed and had a colony somewhere from which their society could rebuild and fight back. They approached everything from that faith and that hope. It was genuine and there was no deceit involved. Repeating for emphasis: Their hope was genuine and their faith was in a place that though they could not see it--they were certain it existed. Earth was not a lie, not fictitous--it was a real place, a possible to attain goal.

Without hope we would not have any heroes today: the self-involved don't have time for the greater good. Our TOS heroes understood hope and understood that the society's survival outweighed the individual. They were good as gold because they'd been through the sacrificial flames and come out a little more purified, focused, the dross burned off. But still human enough to chase a girl, be frustrated at an enigmatic light being or an inane council vote. Tigh could still confront Adama and have a patrol ready to launch regardless of how the discussion went. That last example wasn't about protocol, it was doing the best you could for your best friend. And it was about retaining his friend's hope so Adama could lead the people with hope.

That theme of Hope still resonates strongly for me. I think it is what sets humankind apart and gives us our strength and dignity. It is something that we still search for, and can't go a day without. It is ultimately why I believe a continuation is the only way to be successful.

Thank you all for stoking the Hope fire for me again.

September 17, 1978 I sat down with a few million friends for 3 hours of excellent TV somewhere in the heavens. As we know it turned into 3.5 hours as we ended up seeing a first step towards peace that, ironically two sparring brother earth tribes struggled to make. Somehow that wasn't a coincidence: somehow even that played into the hope of this wonderful fictional sister civilization, so far away, which Leslie, Glen, the entire cast, crew, writer, sfx and costume teams were giving us. There are things worth the struggle; there is reason to hold out hope. It was a very special show. It deserves better than it has gotten. And so do the viewers.

Sorry that rambled so much. Thanks for reading my piece.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default What kindled my interest?

This is a strange one for me, being in England.

I first some pictures in Starlog, I think it was in #16, and thought this looks really good (something I didn't think while looking at the 2003 pics, but I digress).

But, it wasn't until 1979 that I saw the theatrical version of Saga at the cinema (it was the #1 film in the UK that week).

The first clip of BSG I ever saw was on a Saturday morning kids' TV show that was big in England called Tiswas. They showed the bit where Zac was trying to get back to the fleet. I rememember the clip ended with Lorne's line: "That was my son Mr President!"

After this clip [and like Zac ] I was blown away. I can honestly say I was never the same again, and here I am today.

Peter
Old August 24th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Oh, my, what a question. For me it was many things.

What drew me first was that it was a grand, outer-space epic in the tradition of Star Wars or Star Trek (and it really bore no resemblance to Star Wars, except for a few sfx, not matter what anybody else says). I just love that space-opera stuff, when it's well done.

I came to identify with the main characters, wishing (and hoping) I was made of the same stuff. The villians were sometimes over the top, but, hey, I was still young then. Granted, in later years I saw the cheese, the elements that dated the production, the production and writing flaws, the scientific and psychological inconsistencies, which does take away from the storytelling, but....

What's kept me a fan is the story. How mankind can rise from devastation, survive impossible odds, and still keep going. The unique mythology, so cleverly expressed that this same mythology could easily have been the basis for our own. That is where BSG shines, I think. As much as I identify Richard as Apollo and Dirk as Starbuck, that's why a faithful remake would be OK, too, in my opinion; but I'd much rather see a continuation that takes our beloved characters and continues their story, this time dealing with it in a 21st-Century manner of storytelling (if they tried to bring it back complete with shallow performances, poor writing and that dratted hair, I'd be very upset).

Yes, jewels, it's the hope that made the dark premise work. It's also the incredibly detailed backstory, though, that gave BSG the foundation it needed to stand up so well after 25 years.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #5
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default For me...

It was as Dawg said, it continued in the grand space epic ala Star Wars. As many have said, it was the NEXT BIG THING to come along after Star Wars and for a 10 year old kid, that was the greatest!!!

Also what got me even at that time, was the cool idea that we started out there in the heavens and now our brothers from space are coming to find us. That was neat. And the Egyptian stuff was totally cool!!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #6
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

OOPS, forgot something, didn't I??

Here's my contribution:

Captain Tux,

That was a well-placed "kick in the pants"!! You know what, you are absolutely RIGHT ON TARGET!!!

We do know the good points about the Original Series and what has led us to this point in the 25 year effort to revive it but, like you said, we spend too much of our time fightin' the bad guys.

Well, even though that has to be done periodically, just like taking out the trash, it is HIGH TIME that we start anew and remember what was good.

To begin:

When BSG premiered, what drew me in was the Galactica. It was the most impressive "space ship" that I had ever seen (apologies to ST -- I will always have a warm spot in my heart for NCC-1701, no bloody A, B, C, or D). Also, for the time period, the sfx were excellent. As the show progressed, I found myself also becoming hooked on the story. The story of the Destruction of the Colonies and the survivors efforts to ward off extinction, at the hands of the tin-headed, gall-monging Cylons, grabbed hold of me and has not let go, to this day.

The story, itself, does have a very dark premise -- the near annihilation of an entire society. What made it interesting is how the survivors dealt with the situation. A very poignant moment, for me, was when Apollo was asked by Serina, to talk to Boxey. Boxey had just lost his daggit, in the attack on Caprica, and was feeling the same as any little boy would feel, having just lost his favorite pet. Apollo figuratively stepped out of Warrior boots and into civilian shoes and talked with Boxey, giving him one of his rank insignia. Afterward, as Serina was thanking him, in the hallway, Apollo stated, "What's a warrior to do after losing the big one (Zac and his mother), win a few of the little ones."

There are other examples that I will write about but, now my eyelids are starting to get a bit heavy and I'd better close for now.

Talk again soon.

Thanks again, this was fun!

BST
Sleep now
They are calling

Old August 24th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #7
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default Where to Begin???

I could go on forever so perhaps I’ll do this in short bursts. Keep in mind I saw Star Wars 36 times in the theater during 1977. What got me started was something I did not know. I assume this happened everywhere, on the ABC affiliate in New York City they ran promos that summer of '78…but the end was “cut off’. I saw images of space combat and these Bad-Ass Mo-Fo’s who looked like Storm Troopers in chrome! I didn’t know what it was called and didn’t care…ABC was giving me another Star Wars.

Only weeks later I caught the title Battlestar Galactica because I saw it on some toys in a store!

Next time sitting down and watching…

BTW…Battlestar Galactica let that roll off your tongue a few times, I just love the title!

Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #8
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Oh, my response didn't contain what initially got me:

They said John Dykstra was in charge of special effects. That was all they had to say to get me and my brother in control of the TV that one September night.

Dystra & ILM/Apogee did not disappoint; and the story was (IMO) even better than Star Wars.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 08:10 PM   #9
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
SciFiPulse.net

My storie is similar to Peter's. I also saw the same scene on Tizwaz, peter, you spelt that one wrong matey Oggy Oggy Oggy?

Anyway it was not until 79 that I saw the movie version. I was on my summer holidays at the time. Because we never had much money back then we would usually go on Holiday to really far off places like Rhyl or Blackpool, and of course like every other 9 year old kid at that time I was a big Star Wars fan, but ironically I was a big Trek fan as well as all round general Sci Fi Fan.

We are talking the late 70s and early 80s here when the BBC was great because we had classic british Sci Fi Shows such as Dr Who and Blakes Seven. So when Battlestar Galactica eventually made it onto the small screen in this country, it got every UK Sci Fi fans attention. For the simple reason, that BBC had not run re-runs of Star Trek for awhile, Blakes Seven had finished, and Dr Who was about to regenarate into Peter Davison, which in DR Who terms was very much the beginning of the end for me, because Tom Baker was the one that I grew up with, however I continued to watch DR Who anyway, but not with the same avid interest. So for me Battlestar came along at the right time. There was nothing like it on television, not show had ever dared have such mammoth space battles. So like any 9 to 13 year old I went nuts. However I did not actually get the mythological aspects of the plot til late on, after had read a few things.

The series was shown pretty much through most of the 1980s here in the UK. It premiered around about 1983 and actually started out life as Sunday Afternoon viewing on ITV, the channel has shown Logans Run the series a couple of years prior. Ironically Battlestar got the same sunday afternoon slot that Space 1999 used to ocupie 1PM. You know what they show at 1PM now on ITV, nothing that special basically because cable and satalite has pretty taken over, and the original four networks, cannot seem to compete. But I remember looking foreword to Battlestar every week.

I just wish Sci Fi in the UK would re - run the series though.

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:24 AM   #10
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Pure Accident

I went to see Star Wars on my Birthday. It was a gift from my mom. Two yahrens latter BG premiered. I don't recollect the ads for it however but was hooked from the premiere. The opening theme was MONUMENTAL. A grand theme for a great show. The series premiered soon after. My favorites included:

The Living Legend.
War of The Gods.
Gun On Ice Planet Zero.
Lost Planet of The Gods.

As a child one can't appreciate a show like this. As an adult one can see the masterpiece of what was being portrayed.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #11
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Just from the promos I could tell something special this way comes.

Bought a VCR just for the occation.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #12
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

That's a great question. For me BSG was a means for
escape .......I was working after school, in school and
exhausted continuelly. I loved BSG .......not only for
the plot lines but for the actors as well. It was nice
for a hour to be able to forget about high school,
work, nagging parents ..............and watch something
that didn't involve horror, wanton sex and violance.

That's also why I'll still be involved for my kids so
they don't have the mindless sex, violance and poor
story lines shoved down their throats.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #13
amberstar
Strike Leader

Default This is a Great idea BST!

Whatt got me about BSG?
There are a lot of aspects that drew me in when I was younger and now that I am an adult I am still finding new angles that draw me closer to BSG. Here are a few:
I LOVED the Galatica! The ship was amazing, and vipors. Since day one I have always wanted to fly one! That actually got me involved in learning how to fly a plane. BSG sparked and interest in aviation and exploration of Space! I have always wondered if we were alone in the universe or if human life existed else where. Being a young girl I also had a huge crush on Dirk! Go ahead and laugh, but him as Starbuck won my heart back then. To me he was larger than life!!!
I loved the strong characters how they managed to surrive when facing such formidable odds. I am like Dawg, I hoped that when I grew up I too would have some of the same values that I saw in BSG. Honor, the will not to give up when life was tough & Compassion for fellow man.
Later I relized how the methology tied us closer to the endearing characters, the history between our culture and theirs made me feel like they were truly our brothers from a far away world. Their struggle to surrive was a part of us, and we could overcome anything if we only set our minds on it.
BSG is more than a story it repersents the good and bad in all of us! The strugle to become more than what we are and the journey that took us to that point.

Amberstar
Old August 30th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #14
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

As an old Star Trek fan, I tend (at least back then) to watch anything even remotely scifi-ish and BSG was no exception. I watched the series premiere and liked what I saw. Sure there were strong episodes and not so strong ones, but the series had a spark to it and had a great story premise and great characters. IMHO, it was deserving of a second season and then some. ABC (the nitwit network) just couldn't/wouldn't see what a gem of a series it had in BSG.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #15
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

It was strange .........I was just turning 18 and I didn't realize
the mythology until after the show had been cancelled and
shown on reruns .....ONLY THEN did I really see the tie in
with the battle star galactica flag, the egyptian arc of the
story ......with kobol being the 'birthplace of life', or count
Iblis being quite literally "the devil incarnate".

I guess with my schedule at the time up at 5:00 AM in the
mornings and not asleep until around 12:30 AM after I got
off of work and I got my homework done ............I was
bound to miss a "FEW" things.
Old August 31st, 2003, 01:33 PM   #16
Krystal
Bad Email Address

I was young when I begin to see BG. What definitely get my attention was the story, and of course I always have been a fan of scifi. So for me it was a great series with a great story about people in space. I love the characters, the struggle against the cylons, etc. Since day one I become a fan and totally love BG.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2003, 04:48 PM   #17
Ian_W359
Warrior

Ah, the memories......

My tale too has some links to both Peter's and Ian's.... Although I was considered too young to see Star Wars in 1977 - - I do remember Tiswas well (beware the 'Phantom Flan Flinger'!!!). My earliest memory of Galactica was..... a colouring-in book! I can't recall if I ever finished it, but there were cool pictures of (what appeared to me then as) spaceships, robots & a curious looking robotic dog......

Fast forward a few years to the early '80s, after watching Blakes' 7, Dr Who, and re-runs of Star Trek, Space 1999 & Thunderbirds, I was pretty keen on any kind of show with a sci-fi element to it (Logans Run, Jason of Star Command, Salvage 1, etc). Anyway onto the big 'G' - my region of ITV (ATV/Central) showed Galactica around 4-5 pm (after the darts-based quiz 'Bullseye' with Jim Bowen - "Super, smashing, great!").

I thought BsG was great the first time I saw it - space battles with robot villains and encounters with other strange characters, but I also recall a warmth to the show that I didn't really understand at the time. Only after watching re-runs did I realise that it was a combination of the mythology, the characters and the ideals of the show - friendship, loyalty & courage, amongst others.

Ian_W359

P.S. The first time I saw 'Greetings From Planet Earth Pt.1', I remember the announcer's message at the end of the show (after the shuttle sets off for Paradeen) - "And Apollo and Starbuck will be in Sleep Mode until the same time, next week".......
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #18
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

For those who may have missed this thread the first time around and for those who may not have even known it existed --

Please feel free to contribute YOUR thoughts...

BST
Sleep now
They are calling

Old January 6th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #19
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Thanks for bumping up this thread BST.
Old January 8th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #20
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

What got me interested in Battlestar Galactica was Everything. I loved the action, The Quality of the Uniforms, The Acting, The Special Effects and the Rotating Command center. The Battlestar on the interior had that rivetted together look and its exterior had that worn-out look as if the Battlestar has been in space for a very long time. In fact a lot of the space ships in the show had that worn-out look.

I can not help it, if I compare every scifi show that was made after Battlestar Galactica. I have to say that Battlestar Galactica Was the best show ever to be on television because of its special effects and superior set designs. No scifi show has yet to equal the sets of BSG with it's rotating Command Center and its Tektronix Vectorscan Computer Display Consoles, Oscilliscopes, Curve Tracers and Spectrum Analyzers. Not even Star Trek The Next Generation did they ever come close. Even though I like Star Trek TNG, their control panels and computer displays looked too much like those motion soda dispenser advertisements, and their outerspace scenes was lacking.

Also BSG was ahead of its time. It predicted the Palm Pilot, CGI Computer Simulations, Pulse Detonation Rocket Engines, Ion Engines, and Plasma Drives. Even the military today uses vectorscan display consoles for their Jet Fighter Pilot Targeting Systems and simple alphanumeric CRTs for weapons delivery systems.

The Thing that I like the most about Battlestar Galactica was the Larger Than Life Presence of Lorne Greene. When I found out that He passed away in 1987, that really bumbed me out. If they ever do a movie or a New TV series with all of the orginal actors, Battlestar Galactica Will never be the same without him.

Last edited by vectrex70; January 8th, 2004 at 10:01 PM..
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #21
CmdrCain

Default What Kindled Interest

Like others here, I was a fan of just about anything sci-fi at the time that I first saw BSG. The uniforms, the ships, and the space battles were what really caught my attention. I was really young at the time, so I didn't pick up as much on the relationships between the characters. In the years since though, the friendships and themes of BSG, against the backdrop of the main storyline, have deepened my appreciation for the show even more. Even when I was a kid though, the regal but kindly presence of Lorne Greene held my attention whenever he stepped on screen. Although I didn't exactly think of it this way at the time, Greene's Adama seemed like the perfect incarnation of a leader.

To this day, much of BSG's F/X are still first-rate. The battlestar, baseship, Viper and Raider designs were/are excellent. The storyline is still engrossing, the themes are still fundamental and relevant, and the relationships (though they could have been developed more), are still what give the show its heart.
Old January 15th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #22
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default Part of the Story Was

That my Arch-Chess Nemesis (and best friend) smuggled the paperback into Science and I spent the next few weeks getting it read before the pilot came on. (Worked wonders for my Grades.) Liked the novel (especially the Adama Journal excerpts at the start of each chapter.) And the pilot was even better than the paperback.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #23
Dogface

I am a third-generation science fiction fan. My grandfather bought Amazing and Astounding when they were brand new magazines and read Conan stories in their original serializations. My father subscribed to Worlds of If.

I did not ask to see Star Wars, it was expected of me. Sunday afternoons throughout my childhood were for Star Trek reruns (I still dream in primary colors). My childhood books were written by men named "Verne", "Burroughs" (not the freaky one--the real one), "Doyle", and "Wells". Soon enough, though, I was moving to Bova, Asimov, Heinlein, and many more that I cannot remember. I got to stay up late specifically because Channel 11 (Chicago) ran Dr. Who.

In 1978, there was no question to the matter. For the first time in time immemorial, I would be able to watch new TV science fiction, and the previews looked good. From the first to the last episodes, we watched every one. We were ticked to see no renewal. When Galactica 1980 showed up, it was soon apparent that it was a kiddy show, and none of us were kiddies, anymore, so there was a quick losing of interest.
Old January 15th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #24
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Tux, at Cylon Alliance

Well, I think Jon owes us a jpeg or three of his date and his leisure suit. That may be a good start. As far as the seriousness goes. I think the clones and trolls and the war of pro mini pro continuation have worn you out.

You guys have to have fun again if you want to win the war. The battle is lost. The mini is going to air. The mini's success or failure is not the war either....that will be another battle. The ultimate war is seeing this dream of a continuation come to life.

There is a problem, though. You have to sell it as the winniing concept. You can think about it as a political campaign or an ad campaign. Gore vs Bush...Pepsi vs Coke...whatever. There are a lot of posts here sharing what is wrong with the mini and how it strays away from the original concept. What I am not seeing is a balance of content stating what is right about a continuation other than because that is what the fan base wants. Why does the fan base want it? Why should others want it?

Sell me. Do not just tell me that Pepsi is bad and is a cheap syrup rip off of Coke. You need to tell me why Coke is better. Tell me about Hatch's vision and the steps he has taken, talk about Desanto and Larson. Remind peole Donald P Bellisario who helmed hit shows like Magnum PI cut his teeth on BSG.

Fan is short for fanatic. Be a raving, foaming at the mouth fanatic. Make the rest of the world want what you want. Remember, you can attract more bees with honey than vinegar...or is flies...or is it Jon's date...I always get those mixed up.

You want to have fun? Be a fanatic. Do not lament the continuation that did not happen. Tell me about the contiunuation that may come. Tell me about the different visions for a continuation. Tell me about what is right with TOS! Have fun by sharing what you know to the rest of the world. You are on a board that can be viewed by anyone in the world with a computer and a phone line. As we near the airing of the mini, entertainment press and sponsors may be looking at this sight and skiffy and others. If they see a bunch of depressed, tired, grumpy fans suspicious of any raving loon that pops in here...it may not reflect well.

Am I saying to lay off the problems wioth the mini? Hell no! Make fun of Ron Moore and Bonnie. Camp the script. Let them see JJ's split avatar (my personal favorite). At the same time, let them see fans who love something and have fun with it. They can see us talking about special features on the dvd and voices on the video game. They can see polls as to who is hotter...Athena or Cassie...Strarbuck or Apollo...Boxy or Muffit?

I have tried on a few occasions on skiffy to have fun threads and it was met with moderate success. Throw a few bones out here that are fun and tasty and see who bites! Besides, it is harder for a troll to create havok in a room that is happy and fun!!

I do not know who has noticed, but my continuation roots are clawing at me and I am struggling with the mini. Is it because of your arguments and facts against the mini? No. It is that intangable something that has to do with passion. Passion and energy is like a virus. It can spread.

You want to have fun as a BSG fan? Then do it. I will be right there with ya and I will bring Jon's date along for the ride . Hee hee hee.

CHEERS!

Tux

ps I have been happily married for 8 years now with the most lovely 3 year olf daughter EVER...so I think I am too darn old and tired to chase Jon's scantily clad bundle of love anyway. Well, I am offf to bed. I got to see Jeff Gordon get bumped off the track near the end of Bristol so I am pouting. Sox are still in first so all is not lost.
Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
The night is falling
Sleep now
They are calling

Old January 19th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #25
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Default Nailing it

Tux nails it with that post; thanks for the re-post, BST, and for starting this thread.

The core of Galactica for me was not giving up in the face of defeat. Hope in the face of despair. Doing right in the face of Evil. I'm not saying that one shouldn't accept one's situation; had Adama not accepted the defeat of the Colonies, Galactica might have marched off to get destroyed trying to strike at the Cylon home world. To paraphrase Apollo, if you loose the big one, you start the climb back by winning the little ones.

But to answer the question, what peaked my interest was Galactica herself. She LOOKS like a spacefaring warship should. (Her looks wouldn't be approached until B5, but she reamins unsurpassed, but I digress...) No wedges, piecemeals, or a flying saucer. Form and function. Weapons, engines, landing bays and command. Tack on the beauty of the Viper, no starfighter designs based on letters of the alphabet (can't wait for the Q-wing, myself...). One of the guys reviewing the Viper kit on Starship modeler implied that the X-wing should look so good. He's right. The Viper IS what a starfighter should look like.

So Galactica pulled me in, the Viper pulled me deeper, and the actors and story kept me.

Regards,

GA
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #26
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

B U M P

Bombadil's thread about how old you were when you saw Galactica got me thinking that this thread needed a bump, for all the new members of the Fleet that may not have seen it.

Please share YOUR thoughts!
Sleep now
They are calling

Old April 13th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #27
SeoulWind

I suppose what lured me in were the ships, the Galactica and the Vipers. I was, afterall, only about 12 at the time and those kind of things were guaranteed to get my attention. Yeah, the ships lured me in, but the story set the hook.

As others have said, the hope, the struggle, the perserverance in the face of an enemy that was bent on annihilating the human species, the teamwork and the sense of family kept me coming back for the next episode. The connection to Earth's ancient civilizations was icing on the cake - and a brilliant idea IMO.

These were people of honor, characters in whom I found qualities that were worthy of emulation. Individuals who were rising above their personal and collective tragedies to fight together for their survival.

In this day and age, we could really use a heroic story with characters like these again...

Mark Snyder
Seoul, Korea
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:24 PM   #28
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Time again for another well-placed.......

B U M P

Sleep now
They are calling

Old December 7th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #29
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I have no recollection of any of the preview hype for Galactica before it debuted. I only recall catching the first hour of Saga on the night it all began by happenstance and finding myself impressed, but at 9 PM I recall switching to NBC because Part 2 of the 1976 "King Kong" movie was airing and I was anxious to see that since that had been a favorite of mine two years before.

My next memory of Galactica was catching part 2 of "Lost Planet Of The Gods" and I think I was helped by the fact that my older, teenaged brother and sister said a few things that got me caught up to speed, and the fact that most everyone else I knew in the fourth grade was watching Galactica too got me hooked in.

I think of course since the Star Wars craze had been going on, that made it easy for me to get involved with the FX and battle scenes so that meant as a consequence my nine year old mind always loved it whenever the episode had the Cylons and battles. I couldn't have cared if it was the same footage shown before, it always produced a rush of excitement! As a result, when the series shifted focus starting with "War Of The Gods" I can remember being disappointed, and thinking that Galactica wasn't as fun as it used to be. Then "Hand Of God" got me excited again, and before I knew it, it was gone.

The less said about the traumatic experience of "Galactica 1980" the better. What then followed was a 12 year on-off relationship with Galactica, that didn't get fully rekindled until 1992 when Sci-Fi Channel started the repeats. And suddenly then I was able to look past all the battle scenes that had excited me as a kid and for the first time saw the rich subtexts that coincided so closely to my own philosophical-political-religious viewpoint of the world. For the first time, I could really see clearly how Galactica was a rare breed of show that bucked the usual cliches of science fiction and offered something different. And the fact that the cast gave such strong performances and characters I could identify with in ways I could never do with any other sci-fi property only helped enhance that new appreciation for the series.

I was inspired to start writing fanfic to satisfy my curiosity about what happened next, and I've kept writing since. So my interest that was first kindled as a child for the battle scenes and action was ultimately rekindled by the deeper things to be found in Galactica as a series. I like to think of my own case as proof of how fondness for TOS has nothing to do with simple nostalgia for our childhood, if that is when we first experienced it, and everything to do with the show's staying power for those who can appreciate it better through grown-up eyes.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:48 PM   #30
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Time for a B U M P
Sleep now
They are calling