Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old September 28th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Thumbs down Vinegar tastes BAD!

This was another dumb idea.

I heard the reason you feel hunger is because without food, your stomach does not produce acid to digest the food. And if your body doesn't detect the acid, it makes you feel hungry.

Also, they said that you can fool your stomach and eliminate your hunger pangs by drinking a tablespoon of vinegar.

GACK! That tasted HOOOORIBLE!!!!!

It burned going down! It went down like Whiskey!!!

okay... I'm not hungry anymore....BUT I'M NOT DOING THAT AGAIN!!!!!!!!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #2
cranky1c
Warrior

Just because you piqued my curiosity.

From the Howard Hughs Medical Institute:

http://www.hhmi.org/news/friedman3.html

March 30, 2001
Mapping the Brain's Food-Intake Circuitry
Researchers have used a genetically altered virus to map the neural inputs that project into regions of the brain that control food intake. According to the scientists, these mapping experiments, which were done in mice, represent an exciting step in understanding the neural circuitry that executes decisions about whether or not to eat.

Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator Jeffrey M. Friedman and colleagues at The Rockefeller University, Princeton University and the University of California, San Diego (UCSD), used pseudorabies virus to create an elaborate biological tracer that only propagates itself in neurons that express the leptin receptor or neuropeptide Y (NPY), an appetite-stimulating substance found in neurons. The virus, which travels upstream from the site of infection, jumping from neuron to neuron, was engineered to carry a gene for green fluorescent protein. The presence of the fluorescent protein enabled the scientists to trace the path of the virus as it moved through the brain. "The results indicated that a number of factors, including the blood levels of leptin as well as inputs from emotional and higher centers of the brain, contribute to the decision about whether or not to eat," said Friedman.

“It’s not inconceivable to me that individuals who have greater conscious ability to consume less food might have slightly different neural circuitry or more powerful neural connections that might ultimately be visualized through mapping studies.”
Jeffrey M. Friedman

The researchers published their findings in the March 30, 2001, issue of the journal Science. Lead author of the research article is Jeff DeFalco in Friedman’s laboratory, and co-authors include Lynn Enquist and Mark Tomishima at Princeton and Jamey D. Marth, an HHMI investigator at UCSD.

Leptin, which was discovered by Friedman and his colleagues in 1994, is produced by fat tissue and secreted into the bloodstream, where it travels to the brain and other tissues, causing fat loss and decreased appetite. In the brain, leptin affects food intake by acting on distinct classes of neurons in the hypothalamus that express the leptin receptor. However, said Friedman, mapping how the higher centers of the brain affect these neurons is crucial to understanding appetite and food intake.

"It’s obvious that the decision of whether or not to eat has some conscious input," he said. "For example, there is higher cortical input involved in making the decision about whether or not we’re going to skip a meal, try to diet or eat less." If the brain mechanisms behind such decisions were better understood, he said, we might be in a position to better understand the behavioral bases of food intake.

"While our study is only a beginning and doesn’t address such behavioral issues, it’s pretty clear that people differ in how much willpower they have," he said. "And willpower is not a metaphysical thing; it’s a bunch of neural connections and neural circuits. And so, it’s not inconceivable to me that individuals who have greater conscious ability to consume less food might have slightly different neural circuitry or more powerful neural connections that might ultimately be visualized through mapping studies.

"So, now we need to learn how this neural system is organized. And then we can begin to think about what is different about this system in obesity versus leanness; and how the higher circuitry interacts with the circuitry that responds to basic physiological drives."

In mapping the feeding circuitry, Friedman, DeFalco and their colleagues drew on earlier studies by Enquist and other scientists who had used the Bartha strain of pseudorabies virus (PRV) to trace neural circuits. The Bartha strain of PRV can travel "upstream" in neural circuits and it can propagate across neural junctions, called synapses.

However, the scientists wanted to develop a viral tracing system that would specifically label only those hypothalamic neurons expressing the leptin receptor, or those producing neuropeptide Y, an appetite-stimulating peptide found in abundance in certain types of neurons. The scientists found that they could achieve such specificity by building an "off" switch into the virus that was controlled by a protein named Cre. In the engineered virus, Cre is required for PRV to begin replicating. They then targeted Cre to neurons that express either the leptin receptor or NPY. "Once the virus infected these—and only these—cells, the presence of Cre triggers viral replication," said Friedman.

The scientists made certain that they could trace, or follow, the virus by including a green fluorescent protein that would act as a beacon in PRV-infected neurons. "Once the virus is turned on, it’s turned on forever. We traced it backwards to find out which nerve cells send signals to the cells that receive leptin signals," said Friedman. Thus, when the scientists examined slices of mouse brain treated with the virus, they could see which regions of the brain send neurons into the brain's areas known to regulate feeding behavior. "We could see inputs from a number of other regions to the hypothalamus, which is where basic drives for feeding are controlled," he said. "We could see inputs from brain centers that control emotion and from others that receive olfactory inputs. We also saw inputs from centers in the mouse that are the equivalent of centers that control higher cortical or cognitive functions in humans."

"It was not completely unexpected that we would find connections from centers in the brain, such as the amygdala that deals with emotion, that would have an impact on feeding centers in the hypothalamus," said DeFalco. "But the viral tracer also revealed indirect projections—sites that project to sites like the amygdala—which in turn project to the leptin-receptor-expressing neurons in the hypothalamus. That’s where the real power of this technique lies."

While these findings suggest how the system is wired, said Friedman, they are still indirect. "The connections we see suggest that there are inputs and that there will be modulatory effects on feeding from these higher brain regions," he said. "But now we need to understand more about what type of cells these are, what molecules they make and how those molecules might influence the activation state of these neurons that also receive leptin signals."

DeFalco, Friedman and their colleagues are beginning studies using other PRV strains that can follow the connections downward from the higher levels, as well as combinations of viruses engineered with different markers to trace multiple pathways simultaneously. They also plan to explore the hierarchy of the circuitry by using advanced microscopy and computer systems to generate three-dimensional reconstructions of the labeled cells.
cranky1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #3
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Vinegar is wine gone bad.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 04:54 AM   #4
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo Girl
Vinegar is wine gone bad.
True to an extent.

It seems that ethyl alcohol being processed in the human body is converted to acetic acid, so even good wine becomes vinegar shortly after it is consumed.

Hey, since alcohol turns to acid, maybe your should drink a real drink rather than choking back vinegar.
Old September 29th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

hmmm..... alcohol turns to acid. That makes sense. I wondered why there was no alcohol from vinegar.

No buzz at all folks. It kinda feels like ya tossed your meal. It is not a good feeling.

Old September 29th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #6
bsg1fan1975
Major

now you see why I only use it in recipies or on sunburns?

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:36 PM   #7
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Thomas .............Just WHAT were YOU thinking?

How did you 'think' vinager would taste. I'm GLAD you aren't doing that again.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #8
julix
Bad Email Address

Tom.........
((((((((((((((((((tom))))))))))))))))))))))))
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #9
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

If you must have VINAGER again TOM .......then put it in a salad dressing or in recipies
Thanks for the laughs
Old September 30th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #10
bsg1fan1975
Major

my elder brother once tried tasting vinegar and nearly ed from the taste. He never did it again!

Old September 30th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #11
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I take it that He learned his lesson quick Bsg
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #12
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:

(((((((((TOM)))))))))...........YUCK!!!!!!! No wonder you were not hungry any more......LOL
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #13
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Once you have had vinegar straight... you will never try it again.

Once is enough. I never actually tried vinegar by itself before. I've mixed it with vegetable oil. That is what I usually do with it.

Bot that tasted horrible. And it felt worse!

But I am fine now.

Old September 30th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #14
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
Once you have had vinegar straight... you will never try it again.

Once is enough. I never actually tried vinegar by itself before. I've mixed it with vegetable oil. That is what I usually do with it.

Bot that tasted horrible. And it felt worse!

But I am fine now.
Tom -

I gotta ask - why these extreme measures to curb your appetite?

Just curious...

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #15
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

On a side note about vinegar, if you like green vegetables-- peas, green beans, broccoli, spinach, etc... then, either steam or boil the veggie and add a capful or teaspoon of vinegar (per serving).

For me,
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #16
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
Tom -

I gotta ask - why these extreme measures to curb your appetite?

Just curious...

Bryan
stupidity mostly. I heard that on an infomercial and decided to try it out.

I just wanted to stop that hunger urge I get at night just before going to bed.

Old October 1st, 2004, 08:45 AM   #17
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I just wanted to stop that hunger urge I get at night just before going to bed.
Tom -

That hunger "urge" or otherwise known as a "hunger pang" is very commonly misunderstood. The feeling in your stomach isn't really telling you that you are hungry, it is actually a learned physical process. When you eat at certain times of the day for a long time, your body becomes accustomed to that routine. When you eat and the food arrives in your stomach, your body produces the necessary acids, etc. to help digest the food. Your stomach also contracts to compact the digested food so it is small enough to move on through the body.

The thing is, if we skip a meal, your brain might be aware of it, but the body keeps on with the stomach processes even though it hasn't been fed at the normal interval. Your stomach still contracts and produces the acids even though there is nothing to break down. That is why we have that feeling in our stomach when we don't eat.

Are you normally prone to snacking in the evening or eat late sometimes? I know a few people that like to have a snack before bedtime - for me, it just keeps me awake longer, so I avoid it. I think that even though you are busy, if you take the time to eat something even if only a quick sandwich, it's better than skipping a meal.

If you really must have a snack before bed - I would avoid anything that has a lot of sugar, caffeine or carbs in it. These things usually ramp up your blood sugar and wind up enervating you instead of letting you sleep.

I hope this helps a bit...

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 10:31 AM   #18
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

It started at art school. My bud got me addicted to midnight cookies...now I want to get off that. BUt I get very hungry around midnight. Can['t stop....

Old October 1st, 2004, 10:44 AM   #19
bsg1fan1975
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
I take it that He learned his lesson quick Bsg

yup he did!

Old October 1st, 2004, 11:43 AM   #20
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Try a glass of milk.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:53 AM   #21
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

have chips with vinegar. That way you won't feel hungry because you have had the chips, and you'll still have had the vinegar.... Great idea eh !?!

Or am I missing the point

:-))))))))))
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:45 PM   #22
Ian_W359
Warrior

A friend of my brother once mistook a bottle of vinegar for a bottle of wine! (because my dad had stored a lot of vinegar in wine bottles! oops!) Can't stand the stuff myself though...

Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:09 PM   #23
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

FG- I'll try that

Old October 1st, 2004, 02:36 PM   #24
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Well Thomas you can always threaten yourself with the vinager again
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #25
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
This was another dumb idea.

I heard the reason you feel hunger is because without food, your stomach does not produce acid to digest the food. And if your body doesn't detect the acid, it makes you feel hungry.

Also, they said that you can fool your stomach and eliminate your hunger pangs by drinking a tablespoon of vinegar.

GACK! That tasted HOOOORIBLE!!!!!

It burned going down! It went down like Whiskey!!!

Okay, and your IQ is WHAT.....?????
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #26
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
I swear, its a positive number!!!!!

Old October 15th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #27
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
He's like my husband ........He'll try ANYTHING once