Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 24th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #31
"T"
Shuttle Pilot

But that was the pilot!

Over here in the UK the series aired at 9pm (UK watershed) and had a 12 warning on part 1 and a 15 warning on part 2

Its not a family show true but children should not be wathcing at that time anyway.

Watch episode 1 of the series...what have you got to lose? bar one hour of your life!

-"T"-
Old February 24th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #32
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by T
But that was the pilot!

Over here in the UK the series aired at 9pm (UK watershed) and had a 12 warning on part 1 and a 15 warning on part 2

Its not a family show true but children should not be wathcing at that time anyway.

Watch episode 1 of the series...what have you got to lose? bar one hour of your life!

-"T"-
If I truelly want to be BORED TO TEARS ..................
then I'll visit my mother
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #33
The Rain
Bad Email Address

Well I'll keep watching and keep posting. I may like the new version but that makes me no more or less biased than those who don't. At least my opinion will be more credible than that of those who didn't watch it at all.

Great predictions by the way. Ya'll didn't leave me much to predict!

The Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #34
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

If you want to watch it fine ...................... if you don't watch to watch it fine ...........
I for one WILL NOT be watching it ............. if the 'certain people' don't like me
still posting where I want .............as the MINI series aires ...........TOUGH
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #35
Soulmage
Shuttle Pilot

Well, I think the comments are that your insight into the new show will become less and less meaningful as the season moves forward and you remain uninformed on the topic.

I think soon you'll have little to offer in the way of an informed opinion except that you don't like the show. Hence, I'm not sure why you would want to keep posting about the new series.

The old series is, of course, another issue.
Soulmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 02:44 AM   #36
Lusitan

Hi all;

On the question of "watch/not watch" i will see at least the first 3 eps. As i said before (and someone else said in this thread) once you manage to think of the mini as something only inspired by TOS it no longer hurts to watch.
If one like it or not is another story. I didn't, there were some good moments but not enough for me to say i like it. I confess i the only part of the mini i still have is the part where the battlestar comes out of the cloud and starts firing everything she has.
Now, my predictions :

- In the second episode they will face 2 basestars and beat them, but they loose
too many pilots in that. Including Kara
- In the third episode they start recuiting new pilots among the survivors and one of them stands out : Tyrol.
- Around the 6th episode they find a planet they call Kobol, but they discover there proof that the planet was previously known as Terra. Here we learn where the name Cylon originated, that the name was equivalent to Evil, that it was given to their enemy ( originaly called HecVec-Droids ) after the war started, that the original Cylons were the ones responsible for Terra's destruction, that part of the survivors went after the original Galactica who was searching for Earth.
(Here, most TOS fans will gain suden intrest in this new series)

Well, these are some of my wish.. er .. predictions
Old February 26th, 2004, 04:33 AM   #37
Fedaykin

To go back to the reading, writing and speaking in English I also thought it could be one of those things we are not meant to think about and they are actually speaking in another tongue. The thing is the use of English is just too heavy if they really wanted to give the impression that they were using another language the usual practice is to have all there writing in some sort of Giberish script. The fact that it clearly use's English writing, words (anyone notice when the word Dog! was used instead of Daggit) and even millitary practices/political structures says to me that they (ie the colonies) have got it backwards and they are from Earth. This could be a use of future plot generation if the 12 colonies are from Earth than Earth has or had some sort of interstella travel and at a later date Moore can introduce new characters from Earth and even pave the way for spin off series.
Old February 26th, 2004, 07:31 AM   #38
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin
To go back to the reading, writing and speaking in English I also thought it could be one of those things we are not meant to think about and they are actually speaking in another tongue. The thing is the use of English is just too heavy if they really wanted to give the impression that they were using another language the usual practice is to have all there writing in some sort of Giberish script. The fact that it clearly use's English writing, words (anyone notice when the word Dog! was used instead of Daggit) and even millitary practices/political structures says to me that they (ie the colonies) have got it backwards and they are from Earth. This could be a use of future plot generation if the 12 colonies are from Earth than Earth has or had some sort of interstella travel and at a later date Moore can introduce new characters from Earth and even pave the way for spin off series.
Two things: The reason you see English being used as both oral and written in the mini (and any other scifi show, in fact) is to make it easier for the viewer to understand what's what. It would be very difficult to use a different written or spoken language and subtitles, and expect the average viewer to expend the energy to try to read the dialogue and watch the action. You couldn't retain the viewership that way, so they ask us to overlook that inconsistency for the sake of us getting into the story.

That said, in the mini the inference that they're from Earth (in fact, from the US) is very, very strong, and not just because the actors are using English. The decals on the Vipers are straight out of the US Navy. The use of call signs. The fact their names are 21st Century North American names. The use of Earth-based measurements and terms.

In TOS their names were often variations of ancient names from our own past, suggesting the same roots. They used alien (to us) units of measurement. Their ship and insignia designs usually suggested origins not of Earth (based as they were upon parts of several of our own ancient cultures, again to suggest the same roots). "...brothers of Man, who even now fight to survive, somewhere beyond the heavens..."

So, unless you are over-analyzing it, in order for any space-based story to work the viewer must suspend his disbelief over the use of English. It is much more important to look at how the language is used, and whether or not it properly supports the story's premise.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #39
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Very nice predictions Dawg ...................Very Nice
Old February 26th, 2004, 03:42 PM   #40
Fedaykin

Yo,

I wasn't suggesting that they should use a different language and subtitles, I do understand tht when people speak English on Sci-Fi shows they are not always speaking ENGLISH. For example when General Martok talks to Worf on the bridge of the Rotoran surrounded by other Klingons I do know that they are speaking in Klingon but the producers have substituted English to make it easier for the audience (Using Star trek for an example is easier). The use of English writing rather than some giberish alien script is a clear statement in my mind. If you look at my AVATAR you will clearly see that it incorporates the words Battlestar Galactica in English.

Funnily I'm watching the repeat of the new BSG at this moment so things are clear in my mind.
Old February 26th, 2004, 04:08 PM   #41
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin
Yo,

I wasn't suggesting that they should use a different language and subtitles, I do understand tht when people speak English on Sci-Fi shows they are not always speaking ENGLISH. For example when General Martok talks to Worf on the bridge of the Rotoran surrounded by other Klingons I do know that they are speaking in Klingon but the producers have substituted English to make it easier for the audience (Using Star trek for an example is easier). The use of English writing rather than some giberish alien script is a clear statement in my mind. If you look at my AVATAR you will clearly see that it incorporates the words Battlestar Galactica in English.

Funnily I'm watching the repeat of the new BSG at this moment so things are clear in my mind.

Yes I saw that. And you're right when they're talking Klingon .......they'll start off
talking in klingon and then once that's established they'll speak in english.
Old February 26th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #42
Mike Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
Sorry Antelope but with the TV14 rating ...............and with a 6 & 8 year old
at home ............I can't watch anything geared for a OLDER audience.........

My kids need to see that some things CAN still be left to the IMAGINATION
I think you bring up a damn good point here. I mean I'm still gonna watch the series, hell I'm gonna love the series, but then I'm married, 25 and have no kids. If I had any, I'm not sure I'd want my kids watching that either.

I have a feeling that sometime soon, TV is going to be forced to change its standards. After the whole Janet Jackson Boob Slip thing, the country seems to be in a decency uproar. Just this week Clear Channel Radio dropped the Howard Stern show because of a broadcast interview with Rick Soloman that went out of control. And with so many execs due to face Congress soon because of this stuff, the networks may be forced to rethink their strategies.

Hell, the fans have been crying out for years, ever since they brought Seven of Nine onto Voyager. Scifi is about good what-if make-you-think stories, not about sex apeal. Besides, sexual tension is a much more enticing pull than sex itself. We didn't really need that whole sex scene with Baltar and Six. I mean what if Baltar was some kind of sexual deviant or something who just desired Six, and she knew that and used it against him, never really giving him what he wants.

I dunno. Maybe not. I just think, to be honest, we're not going to see the level of sexuality in the series that we saw in the mini. If Ron is smart, and I know he is, he'll take a look at whats going on in other SF like Enterprise and whats going on currently, with the whole congressional hearings and stuff, and just put less of it in there. I mean sometimes, less is more. As in less sex, more vipers. Many, many more vipers.

Or hey, they can always throw in a scene where Starbuck gets a steam burn in the viper launch tube.
Old February 26th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #43
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wright
As in less sex, more vipers. Many, many more vipers.

Or hey, they can always throw in a scene where Starbuck gets a steam burn in the viper launch tube.
Hello Mike

I agree, less sex more vipers!!!
I love that sceen I was just watching it again the other day, tooooo funny, poor Satarbuck!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #44
Rowan
On Vacation...

Hey, did anyone notice that during the decommissioning ceremony Commander Adama says a line during his speech “Sooner or later the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore" Later on Ragnar station when Commander Adama is trapped with the Cylon Leoben, Leoben says to him “Sooner or later the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done" (just before he starts strangling him) coincidence? Or is he letting Adama know that they have ears on the Galactica?
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #45
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelen
Hey, did anyone notice that during the decommissioning ceremony Commander Adama says a line during his speech “Sooner or later the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore" Later on Ragnar station when Commander Adama is trapped with the Cylon Leoben, Leoben says to him “Sooner or later the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done" (just before he starts strangling him) coincidence? Or is he letting Adama know that they have ears on the Galactica?
Gaelen: Now I am going to name you, Wow!

I didn't catch that at all. I am going to have to think on that one.

Was it just foreshadowing and artistic license? I thought in the speech Adama was referencing his son's death indirectly. Zak's dying in an accident however didn't seem to jive with Adama's words. I wonder if there is something to Zak's death (or apparant death) and the cylons. I don't remeber if there was a complete explanation of what happened to Zak. I remember Cylon 6's line about "Today your children will return". I wonder if these statemants about "children" and "running from the things you've done" are more than references to man's creation of the cylons.

Maybe there is an unknown history that the colonial people are unaware of between the cylons and the colonial government. Maybe there was a black ops war going on in deep space and people like "Zak" get killed or captured in "training accidents". Maybe we nearly killed them off and the civilian population is unaware of the issues. Space: Above and Beyond had the entire war's cause hidden from the public because of the actions of a private company. There seems to be a vendetta and religious zeal on the part of the cylons that seems to go beyond normal animosity for people "at peace" for 40 years.
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #46
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelen
I read the script and that particular line went over my head ............even when
Leoben said it again. Until now .........I think it's the latter ..........letting him
know they have ears on the Galactica. After you let me know about that
line ..........it blew me away ...........
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #47
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
Gaelen: Now I am going to name you, Wow!

I didn't catch that at all. I am going to have to think on that one.

Was it just foreshadowing and artistic license? I thought in the speech Adama was referencing his son's death indirectly. Zak's dying in an accident however didn't seem to jive with Adama's words. I wonder if there is something to Zak's death (or apparant death) and the cylons. I don't remeber if there was a complete explanation of what happened to Zak. I remember Cylon 6's line about "Today your children will return". I wonder if these statemants about "children" and "running from the things you've done" are more than references to man's creation of the cylons.

Maybe there is an unknown history that the colonial people are unaware of between the cylons and the colonial government. Maybe there was a black ops war going on in deep space and people like "Zak" get killed or captured in "training accidents". Maybe we nearly killed them off and the civilian population is unaware of the issues. Space: Above and Beyond had the entire war's cause hidden from the public because of the actions of a private company. There seems to be a vendetta and religious zeal on the part of the cylons that seems to go beyond normal animosity for people "at peace" for 40 years.
I read through out the entire script ..........never saw any evidence of a black
ops operation .................I think that line had to do with the cylons being the
creation of man in the mini then anything else.
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #48
Antelope

I think you are right Shiningstar. I think it is probably simply a reference to man's creation of cylons.

I think Moore however has a very developed idea of all that is going on. I think there is some kind of hidden agenda that will be the ultimate theme of the series. Figuring out what that agenda is however will be half the fun posting on the Galactica board over the next year or so.

I get the idea that Adama, Tigh etc are seasoned combat veterans but if the script is true and they have been at peace for 40 years they may be experienced officers but this would be their first taste of war also. The speech Adama made prior to the cylon attack sounded like a man who questioned the value of his sacrafice. That would be appropriate in a combat veterans looking back at unnecessary death but not what I would expect from someone who spent a career in peacetime. If his speech was in reference to his feelings for Zak and Apollo (which it seemed to be) it would have been heartfelt but inappropriate at that time and place.

I was wrestling in my mind whether Commander Adama was being inappropriate (bad script writing) or if there is a deeper meaning that won't appear until later in the series.
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #49
Rowan
On Vacation...

Thank guys

What is a black ops operation?
antelope do you have the show tapped?
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #50
Antelope

Black ops is a military term for secret military or CIA operations that happen behind the scenes that the government does not admit exist. It is know today for example that U.S. special forces soldiers were involved in combat operation in Central America during the 1980's. These soldiers received no official recognition or metals for their service. If such a soldier was killed or injured the government would say they were killed or injured in a training accident. During the Cold War (primarily in the 1950s and 1960s) nearly 300 U.S. air crew members died in shoot downs over communist territory but were reported as killed in accidents to their families.

I speculate that if colonial civilian government reflects our government the colonial military may have been conducting long range recon patrols and conducting near war operations against the cylons in "peacetime" unknown to the civilians. I wonder if Commander Adama feels guilt about his son dying on a black ops mission because he apparantly was not involved in Zaks flight school issues.

I really didn't like Commander Adama's speach at the decommisioning in the mini. I guess I am trying to think of a reason for it to have been written into the script. It is not likely that a capital ship naval commander would use his ships decommissioning ceremony to fix his families relationship problems or express them to an audience.
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:04 PM   #51
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
Black ops is a military term for secret military or CIA operations that happen behind the scenes that the government does not admit exist. It is know today for example that U.S. special forces soldiers were involved in combat operation in Central America during the 1980's. These soldiers received no official recognition or metals for their service. If such a soldier was killed or injured the government would say they were killed or injured in a training accident. During the Cold War (primarily in the 1950s and 1960s) nearly 300 U.S. air crew members died in shoot downs over communist territory but were reported as killed in accidents to their families.

I speculate that if colonial civilian government reflects our government the colonial military may have been conducting long range recon patrols and conducting near war operations against the cylons in "peacetime" unknown to the civilians. I wonder if Commander Adama feels guilt about his son dying on a black ops mission because he apparantly was not involved in Zaks flight school issues.

I really didn't like Commander Adama's speach at the decommisioning in the mini. I guess I am trying to think of a reason for it to have been written into the script. It is not likely that a capital ship naval commander would use his ships decommissioning ceremony to fix his families relationship problems or express them to an audience.
Maybe you're right and Adama knew something that everyone else didn't.

Or else as Moore seemed to make this mini as ANTIMILITARY as possible
he was simply using this speech as another tool to do just that.
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #52
Antelope

When I originally heard the speech in the mini I assumed it was an anti-military rant written by an anti-military writer.

As I read about Moore after the fact however I do not get the impression he is anti-military. As a result the speech confuses me. I think there is either a hidden meaning to be revealed later or it was simply poor writing. I don't know the answer here and my specualtion is definitely reaching into the unknown.
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #53
Rowan
On Vacation...

A section of dialogue from the scene preceeding the speech and The speech
Scene between #6 and Baltar were she has just told him she’s a Cylon

6 “You were chosen for my mission”

B: “Your mission, what mission”

6: “You knew I wanted access to the defence mainframe”

B: “Wait a minute, the defence mainframe? What exactly are you saying?”

6: “Come on Gaius, the communications frequencies, deployment schedules, unlimited access to every data base…”

B: “Oh my god, I had nothing to do with this, you know I had nothing to do with this”

6: You have an amazing capacity for self deception, how do you do that?”

[A few more exchanges then 6 ends by saying]

#6 “humanities children are returning home today”

[Next scene the decommissioning ceremony]

Adama’s speech:

“The Cylon war is long over, yet we must not forget the reasons why so many sacrificed so much in the cause of freedom. The cost of wearing the uniform can high but ….

[Long pause, takes off his glasses]

Sometimes it’s too high. You know when we fought the cylons we did it to save ourselves from extinction but we never answered the question why? Why are we as a people worth saving? We still commit murder because of greed, spite, jealousy and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept responsibility for anything we’ve done. Like we did with the Cylons, we decided to play god, create life. When that life turned against us we, comforted ourselves in the knowledge that it really wasn’t our fault, not really. You cannot play god and wash your hands of the things you’ve created. Sooner or later the day comes when you can’t hide form the things you’ve done anymore.”

Sits down beside the Ex. O. who leans towards him and says “you are one surprising son of a bitch.”

It sounds almost empathetic towards the Cylons in fact during the speech the camera pans over to the Cylon Aaron Doral. It definitely sounds to me as if he's almost talking to himself about his own mistakes with regards to his boys, and finally realizing what he's done and accepting responsibility for it. but it also ties in nicely with the scene just before it which is why I included it . Baltar is refusing to accept responsibility for his part in the destruction of his world. He (RM) could be moralizing to his viewing audience too.
Old February 28th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #54
Antelope

I think as I read it now with but scenes written back to back it makes more sense. I take back my bad writing statement. I guess both scenes are giving us a more in depth understanding of the conflict. The feelings of both societies are explained. I think my TOS mind set had me confused. This conflict appears very emotional to both sides something you don't traditional associate with cylons.

Thanks, Gaelen!
Old February 28th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #55
Antelope

Cylon 6: "Humanities children are returning home"

The cylon: An angry teenager who doesn't want to live by the house rules.
Colonials: Parents who try to enforce the house rules.
Initial War: Teenager refuses to live under the house rules.
Armistice/Cylons Deep Space: Teenager kicked out of home by parents.
40 Years away: Child grows up and learns to live on his own. Becomes wealthier than the parent.
Halocaust: Adult child comes home to parents to show off and prove he/she is the better person. Child is still angry but also still hurting!

One big dysfunctional family!
Old February 28th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #56
Fedaykin

With Adama's speach I feel a crisis of his own self worth was coming to a head. His ship was being decommisioned I assume he was going into retirement, man was starting to make the same mistakes,the arrival of his estranged son and the Cylons are still on the prowl out there....oh yes I nearly forgot he's divorced so probably looking forward to a lousey lonely retirement. It's worth noting at the start of the first episode he was practicing a different speach and I get a feeling that if Apollo hadn't turned up and given him grief then he probably would of gone with the more PC speach.

I found it quite stark that whilst the Galactica was being decomissioned the twelve colonies were already being bombed to rubble. Of course that does mean that when they do realise whats happened and the Galactica becomes the remnant of the colonies last hope she is technically no longer a serving vessel.
Old February 28th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #57
Rowan
On Vacation...

Thanks for participating antelope this is so much fun for me. Never got to do this 26 yrs ago. Ok in the draft script section 1 p.1-2 just to give you an idea what was going on in the minds of the writers ...

"The Cylons were created by Man.
They were the product of a desire to make life easier on the planet Kobol.
At, first, they were simple robots. Toys. Conversation pieces at parties for the rich and trendy.
The Cylons became more advanced. Began to work the mines. Do the hard and dangerous work Man no longer wished to do.
And when the people of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol decided to war against each other, the Cylons began to do their fighting and killing for them too.
The Cylons were the greatest soldiers the planet had ever seen. Smart. Fast. Deadly. They made decisions without waiting for orders.
And then the day came when the Cylons decided to kill their masters.
The Twelve Colonies rallied together for the first time in centuries. Betrayed by their own technology, they fought the Cylons with weapons that didn't rely on computers.
After a long and bloody struggle, the war finally ended. An armistice was declared. The Cylons left Kobol for another world to call their own.
A remote space station was built where Cylon and Human could meet and maintain diplomatic relations. Every month, the Colonials send an officer..."
definitely different than the mini's suggestion about meeting once a year and not having seen them in 40, but interesting non the less