Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 21st, 2003, 07:42 PM   #1
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default hand of god script

I own the script to "The Hand of God." There are two lines in the script that were not included in the original finished episode. Since it's been so many years since I saw the telemovie "Phantom Signal" (which included HOG), I don't remember if the footage containing these two lines was included in the 1980s telemovie.
After Sheba kisses Apollo and Cassiopeia yells at Starbuck, but before Apollo and Starbuck sit down in the Cylon Raider, there is a sequence where Apollo is looking around, and Starbuck asks him about it. Apollo answered that he "wanted to see Sheba again," and Starbuck gives him a funny look.
In the final sequence, in the actual episode, Apollo just bumps up against the scanner in the celestial dome. But in the script, he actually falls (considering Richard, that's not surprising!). Starbuck jokingly says to him, "You're the only man I know who could fall out of the hand of God."
Oh, if only these two segments had been included in the episode! They could have changed the whole direction of the "what-ifs" that I've read over the years.
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 05:28 PM   #2
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default small line from hand of god

In "The Hand of God" there is one brief line which I've never seen discussed before, yet I think it is very important. In the scene where Apollo and Sheba are in the Cylon ship (before she kisses him), she tells him, "It takes three Cylons to fly this fighter."
Apollo answers, "Uhn-uh. I need you and Boomer to lead the squadrons."
Apollo's response is wonderful! Not only does he accept Sheba as a competent warrior, this is also wonderful for a 1979 male script writer to have written. For the situation to be handled so casually by the writer, as if it were an everyday occurence, is something you seldom see even 25 years later.
Mary
Old March 13th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I thought he also completely downplayed the role of the 3rd cylon "they just sit where you are and give orders" and then said that he needed her for her leadership of the squadron. Interesting that Bojay was a captain (War of the Gods, from a comment in one of Jack's interviews) & was not involved in this mission: 2 lieutenants led the squadrons....extremely capable Lts; but an African-American and a woman. Ahead of it's time.....
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #4
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I was glad to see that Scifi had most of that scene with Cassie & Sheba in the celestial dome as Starbuck & Apollo take off in the Raider (the "Why did I have to fall in love with a Warrior?" scene). Good acting, Anne & Laurette!
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #5
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default celestial dome scene

When Sci-Fi reaired the Galactica episodes, I taped the first day's set of shows, but got disgusted with the amount of deleted scenes and didn't watch or tape any more the rest of the week. Julie, are you saying that during the recent re-airing, that Sci-Fi actually included that those few lines between Sheba and Cassie in the celestial dome?
Also, if that was the case, did any of you notice if other scenes from other episodes that normally get omitted were included this time around?
Mary
Old March 17th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default African-Americans

This was one of the magical qualities of the show. It featured both an African-American Colonel and Lieutenant in prominent roles. Boomer was once even a defense attorney.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #7
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Default Re: African-Americans

You probably all know this, but it bears repeating. "Fire in Space" won an NAACP award.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 05:53 PM   #8
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Wasn't there a scene deleted from this episode?

I heard Apollo slips while climbing down the ladder from the celestral dome and Starbuck catches him saying "Only you could fall out of the Hand of God?"

Was it filmed or was it mentioned in the script and got leaked to fans and made general knowledge in fandom.

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 06:58 AM   #9
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Re: Re: African-Americans

Quote:
Originally posted by Belloby
You probably all know this, but it bears repeating. "Fire in Space" won an NAACP award.
No, I never knew that. They should have made E: The True Hollywood Story of Battlestar Galactica.
Old March 30th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #10
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default falling out of the hand of god

The line about "only you could fall out of the hand of God" is in the script. What I am trying to find out is if this line and the line about wanting to see Sheba again were part of the telemovie "The Phantom Signal."
I last saw this telemovie, which contained "Hand of God," probably about 1986 or so, and did not own a VCR yet, and I do not remember if those lines were included in the movie version. Can any of you tell me?
Mary
Old March 30th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Re: falling out of the hand of god

Quote:
Originally posted by skippercollecto
The line about "only you could fall out of the hand of God" is in the script. What I am trying to find out is if this line and the line about wanting to see Sheba again were part of the telemovie "The Phantom Signal."
I last saw this telemovie, which contained "Hand of God," probably about 1986 or so, and did not own a VCR yet, and I do not remember if those lines were included in the movie version. Can any of you tell me?
Mary

Hi,
It had to be part of the tele-movie because I don't remember it in the episode.
Old April 1st, 2003, 02:53 PM   #12
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Re: falling out of the hand of god

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kingfish
[B]

No, I don't believe it was included in the telemovie. The telemovies were composed of sequences already put into the final edits. I have both telemovies and episodes on tape and I don't recall ever hearing that line.

Apollo does say though: "It's like riding in the hand of God." Could that be what you're thinking of????
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 02:57 PM   #13
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Riding in the hand of God

I remember that line but not the other one.