Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 31st, 2006, 08:56 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Dynamite comics announces it will revive BG

Dynamite Entertainment has announced that it will produce a comic book based on the original series.

Quote:
Press Release
Dynamite Entertainment announced today its agreement with Universal Studios Consumer Products Group to produce comics based on the classic Battlestar Galactica series. Recently Dynamite Entertainment signed a deal to launch a comic series based on the new SCI FI Channel Battlestar Galactica series. The comic series based on the new season of Battlestar Galactica is tentatively scheduled to launch 2nd Quarter 2006 with writer Greg Pak penning the ongoing series.

“Battlestar is one of the classic and most beloved sci-fi TV shows of all time,” commented Dynamite Spokesperson J. Allen. “We are proud to bring new adventures of the classic cast to comic fans. The classic Battlestar line adds to some great creators and titles we have lined up for 2006. The opening lines of that show are still etched in my brain from childhood.”

The company will be announcing creative teams, launch dates and marketing efforts for Classic Battlestar in the coming weeks.

About Battlestar Galactica

Originally produced by Universal Television and Glen A. Larson, the hit TV series, Battlestar Galactica, was first broadcast on ABC in September 1978. Starring Lorne Green, Richard Hatch, and Dirk Benedict, this epic space saga went on to become a veritable sci-fi classic. With just thirty-six episodes created, Battlestar Galactica has enjoyed syndication over the last two decades, most recently on the SCI FI Channel.

With its compelling storyline, memorable characters and exciting visual effects, millions of fans tuned in every week to join Commander Adama, Apollo, Starbuck and the crew of the Galactica on their journey through the galaxy. Hunted by the diabolical Cylons, a mechanical race set out to destroy all humans, the crew of the Galactica and its ragtag fleet of survivors’ only hope was to find legendary planet Earth—believed to be the home of the missing Thirteenth Colony of Man.

Inspired by the classic series, this extraordinary story was re-imagined by the SCI FI Channel and NBC Universal Television Studio in December of 2003 in the form of a 4-hour miniseries event. Capturing a new generation of fans, Battlestar Galactica became the most-watched cable miniseries of the year and led SCI FI to continue the saga through a one-hour weekly series.

Redefining the space opera with its gritty realism, the new Galactica, executive produced by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, has distinguished itself by the intensity and present day relevance of its stories and the command performances of its ensemble cast. Now one of television's most critically-lauded shows, Battlestar Galactica is currently in its second original season, airing on SCI FI Channel every Friday night at 10pm ET/PT, and has just been renewed for a third season of 28 additional original episodes.

About Universal Studios Consumer Products Group

Universal Studios Consumer Products Group is responsible for global licensing and retail strategies as well as building brand recognition of the extensive catalogue of NBC Universal properties. Universal Studios Consumer Products Group is a unit of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80%-owned by General Electric, with 20% controlled by Vivendi Universal.

About Dynamite Entertainment

Dynamite Entertainment is a premier licensor and innovative publisher of the comic industry's key and most popular comics including the Army of Darkness, Jim Starlin's Cosmic Guard, The Re-Animator, Eduardo Risso's Borderline, Fulu, Parquee Chas, Lectures Macabre, Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti’s Painkiller Jane, Battlestar Galactica, Classic Battlestar Galactica, Xena, and the #1 selling title in April of '05, Red Sonja. More information about the company can be found online at www.dynamiteentertainment.com. Dynamite Entertainment is a subsidiary of Dynamic Forces, Inc.
I'm hoping it will be a good one. If you see the forums for this, there is already a few comments, almost all glowingly positive.

btw- I'm sure they could use alot of support. And some probono renders could help make this series a great success! If anyone is interested.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:46 PM   #2
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

I read the Red Sonja books. They're not bad.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:26 PM   #3
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=12585
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:56 PM   #4
Jibby

Thumbs up

Quote:
Recently Dynamite Entertainment signed a deal to launch a comic series based on the new SCI FI Channel Battlestar Galactica series. The comic series based on the new season of Battlestar Galactica is tentatively scheduled to launch 2nd Quarter 2006 with writer Greg Pak penning the ongoing series.
Although I liked the originial series, I love the new series. I've watched Battlestar Galactica, since I was a little kid. I wasn't quite around, for it's original release, but the reruns always kept me interested. Much in the same way, that the original Star Trek reruns caught my attention.

In any event, I'm off of subject... it's wonderful that I'll be able to collect comics based on the new series, as I had been able to do, with the original.
Old February 12th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #5
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

I just hope Dynamite Entertainment can keep it going without the problems that plagued the Realm Press run.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #6
Bijou88

As long as they focus on compleating one story at a time, they will do fine. Realm's problem was that they were growing too fast without cementing their distribution and corporate stucture. They were putting out good product, but they were all over the place! I hope that Dynamite Entertainment will have more dicipline. I can't wait for this book to hit the shelf! My cubits are burning a hole in my pocket.
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #7
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

The big concern for me, as I said in another thread, is the matter of continuity. Whoever they appoint to write this series had better be someone who before he writes his first story, takes some time to rewatch the episodes (if he hasn't done so in recent years) in sequence and get all the essential establishing plot points regarding characters/premises down cold. I don't want to see stories set in TOS universe that ultimately show no regard for these things.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #8
Senmut
Strike Leader

Well, if they want stories, my VS offerings are for sale!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #9
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Hey, don't cut your fellow staff writers out!
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #10
XANATOS

Mr. Paddon i have read many of your stories,and have enjoyed them all.
i even liked your planet of the apes crossover ,i wanted to hate it
the very idea of a pota crossover with galactica is crazy but you pulled it off.
you should apply for the job of writer yourself.

XANATOS
Old February 24th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #11
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Thank you very much, Xanatos, that's most appreciated. to you for taking the time to give them a look.

Old March 8th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #12
XANATOS

sorry for taking so long to replie to your kind words
i cracked up my ultra light again, and the dr. gave me some very nice
pills

it is you sir that merts thanks ,for giveing so freely of your talent and time

i hope to one day see the name Eric Paddon on the cover of your
very own series of books of course the down side of this would
be i would no longer have your galactica books to look forward to

but any way

HERES TO YOU AND AND ALL THE OTHER WRTERS AND CGI ARTIST

XANATOS
Old March 10th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #13
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
The big concern for me, as I said in another thread, is the matter of continuity. Whoever they appoint to write this series had better be someone who before he writes his first story, takes some time to rewatch the episodes (if he hasn't done so in recent years) in sequence and get all the essential establishing plot points regarding characters/premises down cold. I don't want to see stories set in TOS universe that ultimately show no regard for these things.
Absolutely! I think they aught to be ringing OUR doorbells...whaddya think?

-G
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #14
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

I think Battlestar Galactica is the only franchise where it's ok to not have continuity .

Speak up for continuity in any other sci fi show and your a loyal fan that should be admired.

Speak up for continuity in Battlestar Galactica and your a troll .

It makes sense doesn't it?

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #15
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
Absolutely! I think they aught to be ringing OUR doorbells...whaddya think?

-G

I could use the extra pay anyway as a "story continuity consultant." (Adjunct instructors do not make much!!)

Continuity is needed for Galactica in a way that it isn't for Star Trek. None of us cared that Khan couldn't have recognized Chekov because Chekov wasn't part of the first season cast, but for Galactica it does make a difference if the writer doesn't remember these key things:

1-Baltar's status following the events of HOG.
2-The Fleet has the general heading for Earth courtesy of the SOL in WOTG.
3-Starbuck is not playing the field any longer and is becoming more serious with Cassie.
4-Apollo and Sheba are beginning to develop a new relationship
5-The Fleet is long past the areas of "known space" to them. That means nothing they encounter from here on in should be something they'd have a record of. So that means don't give names to planets unless the info comes from the natives or if its concocted by them on the spur of the moment.

Old March 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #16
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

6. And remember to get Salik and Wilker the right way around !!!

(Sorry couldn't resist !)
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #17
Spydermr2
Bad Email Address

Default BG comic

Hopefully this new BG comicbook series will be better than the comic from the 70s. Anyone got any info on what they plan to do with this plot-wise?
Spydermr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #18
Bijou88

Spydermr2,

There isn't much information on this other than it is going to be published. As for plot details, the people of the world anxiously await.
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #19
KJ
Strike Leader

Cool

This was excellent news when i first heard about it. Can't wait for it to come out a little later on this year. no doubt everyone here will be checking it out seeing as we're the audience for such a comic book series.

Main question i have is, whether or not if it will be a mini series only doomed for a short run once again. I mean the only thing for it to go on is fan support and the 24 classic episodes now on DVD. Which is *canon* alone. Don't suppose the new comic book series will tread ground on the Galactica Berkely books or touch upon the Maximum Press or Realm Press comic books in a sutble way at all.

If the series does take off in a big way, will it cover something the Maximum Press Galactica comic books promised but didn't follow up on. And cover the unshot Battlestar Galactica scripts?! Hmm? Only time will tell but i hope its a possibility. However lets remember Dynamic Forces wil be adapting both Galactica versions and will also have the current sci-fi channel version released up there as a comic book also.

Which in a way, maybe good to allow other people to see the blatant differences between both series inwhich both comics will be based on.

Here's hoping the covers will soon be up on the site for us to get a look see at!

KJ

P.S. Hello OWD whats up! Figured i'd say hello and pop in every now and then back here. even though i'm now taking time off from all things Galactica online for a while. Just passing through and share my two cents on a thread for old time's sake.

Take care.
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #20
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
This was excellent news when i first heard about it. Can't wait for it to come out a little later on this year. no doubt everyone here will be checking it out seeing as we're the audience for such a comic book series.

Main question i have is, whether or not if it will be a mini series only doomed for a short run once again. I mean the only thing for it to go on is fan support and the 24 classic episodes now on DVD. Which is *canon* alone. Don't suppose the new comic book series will tread ground on the Galactica Berkely books or touch upon the Maximum Press or Realm Press comic books in a sutble way at all.

If the series does take off in a big way, will it cover something the Maximum Press Galactica comic books promised but didn't follow up on. And cover the unshot Battlestar Galactica scripts?! Hmm? Only time will tell but i hope its a possibility. However lets remember Dynamic Forces wil be adapting both Galactica versions and will also have the current sci-fi channel version released up there as a comic book also.

Which in a way, maybe good to allow other people to see the blatant differences between both series inwhich both comics will be based on.

Here's hoping the covers will soon be up on the site for us to get a look see at!

KJ

P.S. Hello OWD whats up! Figured i'd say hello and pop in every now and then back here. even though i'm now taking time off from all things Galactica online for a while. Just passing through and share my two cents on a thread for old time's sake.

Take care.
Not much is up, the same old same old. To many Idea's not enough time to do them all. lol

Take care
OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #21
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

Has there been any more news of when the first issue goes on sale?
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #22
Bijou88

Details are still very sketchy. They have not announced plot, artist or writer. I just hope that they get it right. When I read the dialog, I want to hear the original actor's voices. When I look at the art, I hope to see a long lost episode that was newly discovered in the Universal vault. I can't wait!
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #23
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Well, having a modicum of comic writing experience and a pretty darned good understanding of the original property, I wrote to them and offered my assistance... for whatever it's worth.

These things usually take a while to get up and running. Unless they have someone on-staff who is really driving for a release, it may languish for a year or more before someone says "hey! We have the rights to the original Galactica? I didn't know that!" and then it gets rolling. Either that or they are waiting for the numbers on the Sci-Fi versio's comic to see if there's a market. Though that's like looking at the numbers for apple sales to determine if you want to sell oranges too.

-Gordon
Old March 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #24
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

This almost sounds like Glen Larson's plans to get a feature film up and running. Maybe there's a connection between the two.
Old April 5th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #25
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

News from The Cylon Alliance if you have not heard yet. The writer has been chosen. RICK REMENDER.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/show...threadid=65554

Quote:
“Like every blue-blooded kid in America in the late 70's, I was a big fan. I've been working hard at translating that childhood enthusiasm into what I hope will be seen as powerful and imaginative stories told with a fresh voice while staying true to the original tone. I'm a big Sci-Fi nerd so this is quite the dream job for me."
Well that sounds promising, of course we heard good things out of Moore’s mouth concerning other franchises. As a big Sci-Fi nerd he has got to be aware of the friction in Battlestar camps, even Skiffy paid for reviews recognized that fact. So hopefully he will know that we want sophisticated adult stories in TOS universe with out overly depressing, overly gritty and unlikable characters.

Could one of our better wordsmiths here who has a good pulse on the Purists movement contact him with a nice letter?

Quote:
“The BSG premise is one of the most fascinating possible Sci-Fi high concepts to play off of. Homeless and left to the void of space after watching the destruction of your entire civilization-- these are real stakes that give birth to the kind of constant high stress/high drama that makes for very entertaining storytelling,” said Remender. “You also have such distinct and iconic characters with so much presence. For one, I’m pretty jazzed to get a swing at Starbuck and Commander Adama’s dialogue.”
Again this sounds really good, I hope it does well maybe Tom can drop a few issues at his next meeting with The Black Tower.

Quote:
Could we ask them to include Colonial Fan Force ads in their BSG TOS comics?
We'll have to pay for it but since we're talking about a comic book and not a big national magazine we can probably afford it. I'm willing to kick in some bucks.

Now...Some items in the second article disturb me a bit. It sounds like the writer is not well versed in TOS as of that writing. Starbuck and Boomer could not be having some planet side fight for survival during the Saga of a Star World timeline, unless it occurs during the scene where Adama has his “and they came” speech with the RTF forming. With Starbuck and Boomer then picking up some folks before heading off for the stars. We don’t want Enterprise continuity problems, it will leave people feeling deflated.

We all need to realize in any continuation we won’t be 100% pleased with everything. My ultimate Battlestar Galactica will differ slightly from yours but on the big items we’ll mostly agree and need to not nitpick to death any continuation. This comic book can be another small tool for our tool box so it needs to be right on the big important items. We only get so many chances folks, let’s make the most of this one. How? A friendly Q+A interview at The Cylon Alliance and one of thier better writers crafting a short concise letter about continuation and how to avoid the GINO pitfalls. Any of the owners or former owners here would be great for example.

I'm looking forward to it and plan to support it. Two issues each time, one to read with my grubby hands and one to sell to Lang in mint condition around 2021.

As I said above...so when is the CA interview CT?
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #26
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I found his story idea disconcerting as well, because it suggested to me the potentially worst-case scenario. A writer who doesn't know the episodes inside out and won't allow for continuity disruptions of the black hole size that Hatch's novels gave us.

Old April 6th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #27
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I would like to see a couple of the unfilmed scripts start the whole thing off just to whet our appetites. Then, they can branch off into original stories.

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #28
KJ
Strike Leader

Agreed Charybdis! same here i'd like to see that happen!

KJ
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #29
KJ
Strike Leader

I was just wondering when the TOS comics from Dynamic Forces will be out? The Sci-Fi Channel's remake got its comic book out. But there's no further news on the TOS series and no sign of a preview page from the TOS series of comic book at all.

There are comics out there that have news covered about them months ahead. whereas this announcement for a continuation series of Galactica comics seems pretty vague by comparison. I just wondered if there are any possible delays going on that we don't know about concerning the release of the new TOS print?

Isn't the release date closer now? Surely a preview of the book is in order. With a look see at the artwork so that a 'gist' of the story can be had by fans awaiting this new comic series.

Wonder if 'Comics International' has any news or 'Previews Magazine' even!

KJ
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #30
evil_genius_180
Warrior

Lightbulb

BSG comics?! Really?!

Granted, it's still early yet (at least in my world) but that's the best news I've heard all day.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote