Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 14th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Question I just ordered the video game- will I like it?

The 2003 video game with Hatch & Benedict doing voices. Is it good? Did I make a good call ordering it? Am I late to any other parties?
Apolloisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #2
Benedict
Warrior

Default Re: I just ordered the video game- will I like it?

I don't mind it. I've played it to death. According to the database thing I've racked up a weeks worth of play and destroyed 100,000+ Cylons. It's fairly easy to use though the level where you fly a raider is the one I've not achieved a gold medal on.
The guest voices only crop up in a 'cut scene' on the unlockables and as cheats (you can have Apollo & Starbuck as wingmen). I still view the game kind as a prequel to the original series (Cain is one of your flightmates, pretty sure it's our Cain) rather than the other.
The Galactica looks fine, the opening sequence is cool and I'd dearly like to get my hands on the music for the end titles.

Thumbs up here.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Cool!
I figured for nine bucks I couldn't go wrong.
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Benedict
Warrior

That is indeed a decent price. Shudder to think what I paid for it years ago.

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #5
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

My Son is always wanting me to play video games with him, I think I finally found one we can BOTH enjoy (I don't have much interest in Halo or Need for Speed, heh heh heh).
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #6
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Try the search function, there might still be a thread around from when the game released.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

We just got it. It's only a 1-player game but watching my Son play it is FUN! Very cool hearing the Cylon transmissions! Love the ancient graphics!
JK, they're real good!
Excellent purchase.
Old March 17th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #8
Benedict
Warrior

Good to hear. I'd have liked it multiplayer, dogfights and what have you.

Must confess I like the launch sequence on the latter levels..I'm becoming inspired to dig my copy out if not to replay the intro

Old March 17th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post

Must confess I like the launch sequence on the latter levels..I'm becoming inspired to dig my copy out if not to replay the intro
My Son just passed the first level with the greatest of ease. Well, after 8 fails, anyway. Music on this game is really cool too! Dig it out, man!
Old March 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Wow, the only thing that would make this better is a joystick! Anyone know if they make a joystick compatible with a PS2 system?
I'm so lost in this gaming world....
Old March 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Benedict
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolloisall View Post
Wow, the only thing that would make this better is a joystick! Anyone know if they make a joystick compatible with a PS2 system?
I'm so lost in this gaming world....
I think there was a joystick. Could be mistaken.

Do love the cut scenes, the music isn't too bad but it's the little things like the sighting of the Atlantia or the mention of tri-ad by Cain or someone.

The game is quite easy but I remember cursing the lack of an in-game safe option. Took me ages on Christmas Day to get past even that first half of the first level (that ends with Adama et al chasing the raiders off into the asteroid field).

Oh, and I forgot, besides Messrs Hatch & Benedict (appearing in game as Lukas and...Rylo I think it is) there is Dwight Schultz as you might have found out by now.

Old March 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #12
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

I only played it for a short time, it was fun. My Son is the expert at the moment. The little punk.
Wait 'till I have a day off & he's in school! Then I"LL be the expert!
Old March 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #13
Toshiro
Bad Email Address

Hi there
I remember playing this game years ago. Really like the look of it. I wasn't very good at it though. I was looking at youtube for in game video just to get a feel for it again.
I noticed the viper design really looks alot like the MK2 from the the other (ahem) show.
I wonder who, borrowed from who, first? Then again I was reading Richard Hatch's novel
Ressurection and found several ideas that also showed up there. Hmmmm

I might have to get the game as I still have a Ps2.

Toshiro
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I really liked the game - I confess that it's been quite a long time since I last played it (much less the PS2). I think that one of the most challenging aspects of the game was that it wasn't consistently predictable. It might be annoying if you're trying to get from one level of the game to the next, but I liked the unpredictable nature of the game.

I never did finish playing the game until the very end. I remember getting stuck at one particular level and not being able to get past it.

The joystick isn't a bad idea - there are times when the game pad doesn't feel right for playing this type of game. I remember when I used to play X-Wing on my PC, I wound up buying a joystick to play it because the keyboard method of playing the game wasn't as intuitive as "flying" with a joystick in your hand. I'll have to take a look around to see if there's a joystick that's compatible with the PS2.

I really do need to dust off the PS2 - I have other games that I used to enjoy playing. I even have a small handful that I never even got around to taking out of the packaging, much less playing them. Who knows....maybe it would help take the edge off after I get home from work. Blowing stuff up or racing a fast car is better for you than getting a migraine over a tough day at work.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #15
Benedict
Warrior

...the price of surrender...is extinction...

I dug out the game, which to my horror I've owned for just under eight years. It must be, eighteenth birthday and all. Anyway.

Forgot how great the FTL effect looks in that opening sequence. Galactica looks a little more animated you might say. Someone said about how the Mark II Viper's look like, you know, the other one's fighters. They do but there's also the fact this opening cut scene (where the Galactica patrol is wiped out) is used in a trailer for that version's mini-series.

Also forgot that Magus says "Red alert." I always thought of it as "Condition Red." Shame the alert sound from the series wasn't worked in.

Right, well before I get cracking my data stands at:

Game time: 7d 6hr 13m 31s
Cylons destroyed: 32420
Distance travelled: 916, 8050km

like I said, eight years...

Old March 18th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #16
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post

Cylons destroyed: 32420

Old March 19th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #17
Toshiro
Bad Email Address

As I Googled for videos for this game I came across cheat modes and stuff.
There was mentioned wallpaper of the mini. It's been so long I played this I barely remember any of that. ( rented game only ) I do remember being intrigued about the early vipers, and their looks. Ironic that they are used as the next model up.

Toshiro
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:56 PM   #18
Thunderstruck
Warrior

Oh my, shows just how much out of touch I have been past 20 years.

Can someone please tell me what game this thread is posting about.

browsed and did not see game title.

TY

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/.../Viper-Sig.gif
So much to learn , so little time, and so many ideas with so little knowledge and so much to discover with so many things to try.
Thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:00 PM   #19
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenhunter View Post
Can someone please tell me what game this thread is posting about.

browsed and did not see game title.

TY
"Battlestar Galactica." It's a game for Playstation 2 & X-Box.
And it kicks Cylon butt!!!
Old March 25th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #20
Thunderstruck
Warrior

Really?

Thanks for answering.

Do not have any game consoles. But have always wanted to play a BSG game. will have to look into it. Maybe time to actually buy one.

I am always behind the times. Have been since 22? all that working,
7 days a week, away from home 9/10 of the year, all hours of the day.

in a way am fortunate I am disabled. Time to catch up.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/.../Viper-Sig.gif
So much to learn , so little time, and so many ideas with so little knowledge and so much to discover with so many things to try.
Thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #21
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Queenhunter,

Even a brand new PlayStation 2 is about 100 bucks...maybe even less if you luck out...or you can go to GameStop and probably find used/refurbished PS2's for about 50-70 bucks.

A new copy of BSG (good luck) runs about 20 bucks. You'll have better luck finding used copies for less...perhaps 10-15 bucks.

The game is really good. I enjoyed it, and revisit it frequently. It even has cameo voices from Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict.

The only thing I wish the game had....competitive multiplayer with Humans vs Cylons. That would've been cool.
Old September 29th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #22
Jubal
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
The game is really good. I enjoyed it, and revisit it frequently. It even has cameo voices from Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict.
Bingo!! That is the reason I like the game.

I mainly wanted to see the game, since I and a friend of mine could not get past the cylon formation flying level. So I got someone to send me a game card with all the level game saves.

Apollo and Starbuck fly back in time and help a young Adama in some major battles. It is really cool to see a time in the Galactica history when there is still a fleet, though at some point the Galactica gets seperated from the fleet and has to fight on it's own again the Cylons.

Great game. Always wanted to make a Viper flight stick for this game.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #23
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

I enjoy the game, but I find the game pad frustrating to play it with. I really need to get a joystick for my PS2. I have the same issues when I play games that involve driving cars with the game pad. I need a steering wheel accessory for the PS2 as well. I just find that using the proper controls makes the game feel more intuitive and natural feeling. Back in the days when I played X-Wing on my PC, I had the same issues using the keyboard. Once I bought a joystick controller for the PC, playing the game was much more fun and a lot less frustrating.

I really need to play BSG more often, but I need to get a joystick to put more fun into it.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #24
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

The Cylon formation mission is probably THE most boring mission because it involves what seems to be endless minutes of flying in formation until you are cleared to fire.

Yeah, a stick controller would've been nice for the BSG game. I have a flight stick controller, but it's for the PS3, and I don't think it would work on PS2.
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #25
Benedict
Warrior

that cylon mission irritates to the nth degree. The only one I can't get A-grade on. I think my best time on it is 28 minutes. Raider isn't that manoueverable and weapons useless. Only good bit is the cut scene where the raider rejoins the Galactica near that comet.