Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 11th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #1
Rickyrod70

Question Richard Hatches Books

Has anyone here read any of Richard Hatches books?
If so are they any good?
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #2
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I wanted to read them. I had them all at one point.
I lost them all when my apt was broken into in the 1980's.

Never found them again

I really liked them by the way.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #3
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

i have only read ARmaggedon, it was the ONLY one I could find! Judging from that book, AWESOME!!!!! New Cylons, Count Iblis! A great read!!
Old November 11th, 2003, 09:49 PM   #4
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Highly recommended, in my personal opinion.

Yes, Richard focuses his storylines around his Apollo character. (I'd argue that William Shatner does the same thing with James T. Kirk in his Star Trek books ) But Richard, with his various co-authors, also presents a fascinating vision of the Galactica and the rag tag fleet 20+ years since the original series ended. His stories delved into the next generation of Colonials born in space, a deeper understanding of Count Iblis and the Cylons -- and their motivations, and reconnected us to the original characters.

I think every fan has a different interpretation of how the Galactica's story would have evolved since the close of the original series. Some people have had issues with Richard's concepts, while others (myself included) think he has the right direction.

On a personal note, Richard's first book ("Armageddon") reignited my interest in the original series [which I loved in my youth and kept an interest in over the years]. It's the primary reason I did my "Battlestar Galactica" web work.

Michael
:colwar:
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:41 PM   #5
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
SciFiPulse.net

Only difference between a Shatner book and a Hatch book is 90% of shatners writing is about Kirk banging away with some Alien nubile princess who is 40 years younger than he is.

Hatch books come highly recomended in my opinion and our actually better written than the shatner novels. Shatner truly glorifies in Captain Kirk, where as while Hatches books do focus on things more from Apollos perspective, his characterisations of the other roles in the show are aknowladge and our given just as an important role as Apollos withing the context and plot of his books.

Hatches characterisation of the Noman Gar'tok is a particular favorite of mine, and I loved the sort of warrior to warrior thing that happened in Rebellion betwen Gar'tok and Starbuck. It is a great pity that Rebellion was published via the first draft, because it was a damn good story and could have been so much better had the publishing house waiting for Richard and his co auther Stan Timmons to fine tune it.

I haven't read Paradis as yet. But when I managed to get round to perchasing a copy. Am sure I will enjoy as much as Richard other books.

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 04:33 AM   #6
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries
Highly recommended, in my personal opinion.

Yes, Richard focuses his storylines around his Apollo character. (I'd argue that William Shatner does the same thing with James T. Kirk in his Star Trek books ) But Richard, with his various co-authors, also presents a fascinating vision of the Galactica and the rag tag fleet 20+ years since the original series ended. His stories delved into the next generation of Colonials born in space, a deeper understanding of Count Iblis and the Cylons -- and their motivations, and reconnected us to the original characters.

I think every fan has a different interpretation of how the Galactica's story would have evolved since the close of the original series. Some people have had issues with Richard's concepts, while others (myself included) think he has the right direction.

On a personal note, Richard's first book ("Armageddon") reignited my interest in the original series [which I loved in my youth and kept an interest in over the years]. It's the primary reason I did my "Battlestar Galactica" web work.

Michael
I agree entirely. I believe Richard's way was the right way to go! Nothing against DeSantos's project, I just wish he would have consulted with Richard and picked it up from the books. I still stand behind the DeSantos project however.

On Shatner, while I belive Ashes of Eden should have been the final Trek film with the crew of Enterprise A, and The Return as a replacement for Generations. I agree that his books are a reflection of his ego and pushes the other characters on the back burner.

Richard uses all the characters in the way the series SHOULD have, fleshing them out and makeing them more realistic and reflective and less of cardboard cutout stereotypes. I hope to find more of his books.

For those who have read them, can you guys give me a rundown of what the other 4 were about?

Does he still use Baltar?
Old November 12th, 2003, 05:10 AM   #7
LucianG
Warrior

I purchased the first few Shatner books following Kirk's return. The first couple were very good, but they spiralled downward, book after book, despite the presence of the co-authors helping on the projects, focusing too much on Kirk and his love interest.

The image of the immovable stump and Kirk's determination to remove it are my favorite memory of the books, if that tells you anything.

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #8
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Richard's books...

The first of his books came out in late 1997. (not sure what books you were referring to shiningstar) He has published a total of 5 novels continuing the story of the rag tag fleet.

If you are a die-hard BSG fan, then you must get these books and read them!!! There some strange changes in a couple of the characters (for example, Drs. Salik and Wilker are interchanged and Rigel is now a man!) and there are a lot of typos (because the publisher rushed through early drafts of the novel), but if you can overcome these and some of the Kobollian blood ESP stuff in the early novels, it does start getting better in the later novels. In fact, he hardly uses the ESP stuff in the last novel, Paradis.

And by the way, I spoke to Richard and he pronounced the title of Paradis just as you would pronounce 'Paradise'...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #9
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default finished "Paradis"

Since I didn't want to repeat myself four times at different discussion groups, I posted my comments about "Paradis" only once. You can find it at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/richardhatchfans/
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #10
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Angelus
Does he still use Baltar?
Oh, yes.

Michael
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #11
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Excellent review, Mary!

Michael
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #12
Bijou88

I read "Armageddon" when it was first published and I enjoyed it. I was uncomfortable with the ESP angle at first. Then I remembered that Adama demonstrated some telekenetic powers in "War of the Gods." All in all, required reading if you are a Galactica fan.

I have not been able to get my hands on "Warhawk" yet but I plan to. I do have "Resurrection," but I have not yet had the chance to read it.

I did read "Rebellion" and was disapointed. While I understand that the publisher rushed out the book before it was polished by the authors, I found it a chore to read. The writing style was very repetative. For example, every character in the book, when saying something, "cries." They do not exclaim, say, shout, declare or proclaim. Instead, they cry. After awhile, it becomes irritating. If you drank a beer every time someone cries in this book, you would be smashed after two pages. I suspect this is more of Alan Rogers' doing than Mr. Hatch's. I hope that when the book is reprinted in paperback the authors will be able to remove this flaw from the book.

I also have not yet purchased a copy of "Paradis." But I plan to.

The paperback reprint schedule for this series has been spotty. Book 1-Armageddon and book 3-Resurrection have been reprinted in paperback. For some strange reason, book 2 -Warhawk has been skipped over. Does anyone know why?
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:09 AM   #13
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Must agree...

Rebellion is the story of an internal mutiny within the fleet. I have to say that it is the worst of his books. Paradis I found refeshingly different. No major battles....but a pleasure and very easy to read...

Old November 14th, 2003, 03:35 AM   #14
JLHurley
Warrior

My big complaint with his books are that they are riddled with typos. Doesn't anyone proof them before they're sent off to press? Other than that, they're a big improvement over the series of books that came out during/shortly after the series was...sniff...cancelled.
Old November 14th, 2003, 04:11 PM   #15
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Is the Eastern Alliance still used in this books?
Old November 15th, 2003, 04:44 PM   #16
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Eastern Alliance...

Oh no. The EA was left behind a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away!!! Ooops, sorry, got carried away!!!

The biggest villains in Richard's new books are the Chitain, an alien creature warlike race of nasty-looking slugs with hard exoskeletons!!!

Old November 16th, 2003, 08:06 AM   #17
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Its a shame. They were a good set of villians with a lot of potential. Maybe Richard will use them in the future.
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #18
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

I've just read Ressurection, I just got Warhawk and Paradis, I'm still trying to get my hands on Rebellion.

After reading Rebellion and now starting to read Warhawk there seem to be a lot of typos and inconsistacies.

Dr Wilker and Salik have been switched around. In Rebellion Apollo mentions that he didn't want Starbuck dating Athena, but in Warhawk, the preceeding novel, it seems they have been together for years. Also in Ressurection Sheba gives up on Apollo because he hasn't shown love for anyone since Serina, but in Warhawk they are about to be sealed! Also in each book it seems Apollo dances between being Commander and pilot. IMO I think he should stay fleet CMR and not risk his life and the fleets safety by jumping into a cockpit.

Other than this I thouroughly enjoyed what I have read! Can't wait to read Rebbellion. If I can't find it can someone give me a rundown on events.
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #19
The Ninth Lord

Default Re: Richard's books...

Quote:
Originally posted by Charybdis
And by the way, I spoke to Richard and he pronounced the title of Paradis just as you would pronounce 'Paradise'...
Hmm. Must be that the publisher accidently dropped the 'e' off the cover.
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:54 PM   #20
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

No, it was intentional.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:38 AM   #21
The Ninth Lord

I was trying to make a joke, but I guess I didn't do a good job of it... sorry. You know, how all the books have so many typos in them?

Old December 18th, 2003, 10:13 AM   #22
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Yep, he beats on the publisher about that: he might get a different editor for the next book. (hoping!) Also 1 book got published as a rough draft. Ineptitude of the publisher.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 12:41 PM   #23
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Is that why in EVERY book Dr. Wilker and Dr. Salik are reversed?
Old December 18th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #24
Kaith Rustaz
Bad Email Address

At the risk of offending some folks, I have to post a disenting opinion.

Of the 5, I have to say Paradis is the best of the batch. It has the most polished writing, and the least amount of typos that I've found. (1 glaring one on first read is a scene where 'Apollo' speaks, yet is not at that location. Its not clear if it was radio or a typo.

Sadly, the earlier ones suffer from a destinctly 'fan-fiction' feel as far as the writing. The worst IMHO is the 4th, where everything is just jumbled together.

Without spoiling anything, the ending of Paradis regarding Baltar had a definate WTF? feeling, and the final chapter seemed rushed, compared to the pace of the rest of the book.

The core of the series is good. Mr. Hatch has laided out a rather interesting plot line (several actually), and character development. Sadly, the implimentations too often seem rushed and random. I recall 1 of the books was published in a first draft format, and the overall editing has been poor at best.

Its a shame, as the material deserves better.

I recomend them to the fans, but be prepared for some hiccups in the reading. Let us hope that Richards future books in the series follow the higher quality lead of #5 and continue to polish and shine.

As a side note, I own copies of all 5 books, in both hardcover and paperback where possible.
Kaith Rustaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #25
GreggAllinson
Bad Email Address

They're great. Armageddon was my first exposure to Galactica.
GreggAllinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 07:59 PM   #26
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Hey, I just have gotten finished reading Resurrection, and it was to good. Except the one part where Starbuck dies. Fantastic story, i think that if you love the original as much as we all do, then this is Richard's continuation, it's a good book. Now gotta hurry out and get the rest!
BlueSquad2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 01:52 PM   #27
bsg1fan1975
Major

I've got all of them and read them all. I was thrown for a loop at the one instance in Paradis involving Baltar. What irony. I will not spoil it for those who have not read it. You'll enjoy it.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:03 PM   #28
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Thumbs down

I just finished Resurrection; it was predictable and bored me to tears. At times I thought does Richard Hatch remember anything about the TV show?

I did not read the three books before this oneā€¦perhaps that was part of the problem.

The less I say about the pure Kobolian bloodline telepathy the better.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:24 PM   #29
piperkev

Default What Happened??

The first 2 books were pretty good, IMHO, then I started "Resurrection" and I felt like the story was taking place in an alternate universe. What happened?? Are the next two books in the same vein, or do they go back to the universe of "Armageddon" and "Warhawk"??

Kevin
Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:41 PM   #30
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

You know I kinda got that feeling too. In Warhawk Sheba is about to be sealed with Apollo, but in Ressurection it's only not mentioned but Sheba comments that Apollo hasn't shown ANY interest in her period or any woman after Serina. I was like huh?