Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Colonial Library > Martok
Notices
Martok The phenomenal Dark Exodus stories by Steve Dunlap!!!

Old August 15th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #31
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

On behalf of all the Yahren Spinners (as we are called) who have contributed to the fanfic list, we thank you for posting the link Martok!

It's because of fanfic writing that I was able to become a passionate Galactica fan again back in late 1992 when Sci-Fi Channel began airing the reruns. It'd been about six or seven years since I caught an episode, and suddenly this burning frustration to continue the story unleashed itself. This being the days before I owned my own computer, the first effort, "The Last Battle" was produced handwritten. It's not a story I'm particularly proud of today but it helped get me started and once I discovered the Internet and how others have thought as I do, that inspired more writing and doing numerous continuation stories set in different universes (there's been a Galactica 1980 universe set of stories that tries to fix that wretched series; a crossover with the first Planet Of The Apes movie where the Fleet finds the Earth of the first movie; the episode adaptations; and now this second season project).

Martok's story, which grabbed my attention over the weekend, is another nice reminder of how well Galactica lends itself to this kind of storytelling, and how even if the perfect continuation movie is made, there will always be room for us to explore different avenues of what happened next. And I think it's fascinating how Galactica has been able to generate so much effort from so many talented people.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:07 AM   #32
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
On behalf of all the Yahren Spinners (as we are called) who have contributed to the fanfic list, we thank you for posting the link Martok!

It's because of fanfic writing that I was able to become a passionate Galactica fan again back in late 1992 when Sci-Fi Channel began airing the reruns. It'd been about six or seven years since I caught an episode, and suddenly this burning frustration to continue the story unleashed itself. This being the days before I owned my own computer, the first effort, "The Last Battle" was produced handwritten. It's not a story I'm particularly proud of today but it helped get me started and once I discovered the Internet and how others have thought as I do, that inspired more writing and doing numerous continuation stories set in different universes (there's been a Galactica 1980 universe set of stories that tries to fix that wretched series; a crossover with the first Planet Of The Apes movie where the Fleet finds the Earth of the first movie; the episode adaptations; and now this second season project).

Martok's story, which grabbed my attention over the weekend, is another nice reminder of how well Galactica lends itself to this kind of storytelling, and how even if the perfect continuation movie is made, there will always be room for us to explore different avenues of what happened next. And I think it's fascinating how Galactica has been able to generate so much effort from so many talented people.

Eric,
You and your talented co-writers are perfectly welcome. I do try to spread the Gospel of the Original Galactica, and its fanfics. Thank you for the kind words about my story.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old August 19th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #33
julix
Bad Email Address

I just got done reading Dark Exodus....
IT IS WONDERFUL!!!!!!!
Steve...
I can"t express in words how wonderful it was to read your story. Your writing is very good...I could actually picture all of the characters...and you added such wonderful touches. I don't want to give anything away to those who haven't read it yet. I really like how you added realistic plot points that I could see would happen given the situations you played out.

I salute you one warrior to another

Thanks for giving my heart the heros I have longed to see for over 20 years
GREAT STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #34
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thank you, Julix,

I appreciate the very kind words about the story. It was written as I would imagine a big screen continuation (or perhaps a miniseries continuation) to be. I am glad it reached you as a TOS fan.

The realism factor is something that I wanted to work with, because I've always had an affinity for Tom Clancy's work. I figured that everything of importance to the fleet and Earth has more important ramifications than episodic television (at least back in the 70's) would allow for. Besides, when it came to Earth's military, it just had to be realistic. My experience as a former solider allowed me to do that. I didn't wanna go too over the top with the realism, and spoil the spirit of the Classic show, but I did want it to have the edgy enough realism (for both the Galacticans and Earth people) to make it plausible in today's market.

I am glad that you, and everyone else who has read it, have seen it for what it was intended to be....a genuine continuation story. I feel like I have done my job.

I have resumed work on the sequel, "Battlestar Galactica: Reciprocity", and those of you who've read "Dark Exodus" know that I have my work cut out for me. I am also engaging in a very big parallel of sci-fi utilizing a certain "recently popular" movie as the backdrop. It will probably be my best work yet, perhaps even better than my Galactica based stories. Only Julix has detailed knowledge of precisely what this story will be.....mua ha ha ha ha. ....And she ain't tellin' a soul, right Julix?

Well, time to go host Karaoke and make my paltry way.

From one warrior to another

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #35
julix
Bad Email Address

Well, Martok............
The" I ain't tellin a livin soul" line makes me feel a little like the Bush's Baked Beans dog...................Julix does all kids of outlandlandish stunts(no not those kind! I do those, which is why those wouldn't be outlandish )to make it seem as if she is going to tell Martok's secrets..........
She considers all manner of bribes(especially the pictures of Apollo in his Triad outfit)........What will she do???????(cliffhanger)

Martok
Old August 19th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #36
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by julix
Well, Martok............
The" I ain't tellin a livin soul" line makes me feel a little like the Bush's Baked Beans dog...................Julix does all kids of outlandlandish stunts(no not those kind! I do those, which is why those wouldn't be outlandish )to make it seem as if she is going to tell Martok's secrets..........
She considers all manner of bribes(especially the pictures of Apollo in his Triad outfit)........What will she do???????(cliffhanger)

Martok
So that's where all the hot air in Washington comes from...
I was kind of wondering...
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #37
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Default !!

Steve -

I just finished reading "Dark Exodus".....

Oh...my...god! OH...MY...GOD!!!!

I don't mean to gush, but this was terrific! I started reading DE last night and I was able to get through the first 10 chapters before bed. I was going to read another 10 tonight, but the office phones went down today at work, so I was able to have the time to read all but the last 7 chapters. I took the time to read and savor every word of it.

The last 7 chapters were amazing.....! I felt just when it couldn't get any more intense, you managed to kick things up a notch, and then another and another....!

This is what the G80 episode, "Galactica Finds Earth" should have been! If Glen Larson had read this, I'll bet he would be in agreement. I even think if Ron Moore had read a story like this, he might have thought that a continuation story might have been the way to go instead of a reimagining.

I'm so in awe of the BSG fan fiction that I've been reading this week. Nothing intended towards the books that Richard Hatch has been writing, but if he really is only going to do two more books and stop, it wouldn't be a bad idea to submit these stories to a publisher and see what comes of it. They're as good as any novel I've ever read....

I would go into a more detailed review of what I read, but there's so much, I doubt that I could even do it justice.

Suffice it to say, "I loved this story!"

Thanks for the wonderful Christmas present!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 12:43 AM   #38
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thank you so much, Bryan.

That meant a lot to me. I am so glad you enjoyed it. Yes, there are a heck of a lot of talented writers on this board, and they all crank out amazing work.

Even though the story is nigh on two years old...I am glad you thought of it as an "early Christmas present." Most flattering indeed, my friend.

Now, if I can just crank my astrums into gear and finish the teaser trailer.

The sequel story, Reciprocity, is still in the works....I just am having a tough time deciding what particular direction I wanna take it in.

If you want to see how the sequel is shaping up... I think it is posted here in the Fleets...although you might have to dig around the past Colonial Library files to find it

Thank you, EVERYONE, who has supported Dark Exodus, and thank you all for supporting our talented fanfic writers here at the Fleets.

With greatest respect,
Steve Dunlap (Martok2112)
Old December 13th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #39
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Steve... just finished "Dark Exodus." Fantastic! As I was reading the story, portions of it started to sound very familiar... then I realized I had read a treatment of sorts that you had posted on CA a while back as General Chang. You are to be commended, Sir!

I was amazed, as I was originally intendeing to end "BlackStar" with one of the same surprises you rolled out, albeit with a slightly different twist... but I decided at the last minute to hold that in reserve if and when I wrote the next one. I am, nontheless, glad that I resisted the temptation to read your story before I was finished with my own.

I will look forward to the day when you are able to regain access to your notes, and pen your follow up.

Congratulations!
Old December 13th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #40
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thank you very, very much Bill. I am very glad you enjoyed it. As with everyone who enjoys the story, it always means the world to me when another says so.

Yes, I remembered posting the treatment of it back at CA under my old moniker. I was glad it got some really good response, and it was actually enough to make me start fleshing it out as a story. All it was, at first, was just an idea...not even intended to be committed to full story...and I wrote that entire treatment up in 5 and a half hours. It took me over a year to write the story.

If you would PM me, I would love to hear what you had in mind for your "surprise with a twist". They say great minds think alike....well....it would apparently seem so do ours.

Right now, my attention is sorta focused on the teaser trailer for Dark Exodus...but I will resume Reciprocity when the right ideas strike me. (tis complicated trying to write a sequel that blows away the original.)

I also look forward to the day when you take up the pen (or keyboard) to write another brilliant epsiode/screenplay. You, sir, have an uncanny gift for story telling.....(and a knack for making me adorn my monitor with Coke spewings)

With greatest respect and appreciation,
Steve
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #41
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

I read this a few months ago. Very nice. I love the poster and it's tagline. And I liked how people had various reactions to our long lost brothers and sisters arriving here with "their" war.

I was wondering one thing tho. Wouldn't the Galactica crew have the Ravishol Pulsar technology? I'm sure Dr. Ravashol gave the plans to Apollo when showing him how to blow it up. If the Galactica is sharing Viper secrets and other tech with Earth I'd think they'd give us the Pulsar too. By the time the Cylon fleet arrives there would be pulsars all over Earth, Mars and our moons and maybe some on other moons (all in cold areas) throughout the solar system aiming at the basestars. My friends and I were discussing that years ago that the Ravishol Pulsar would be one of the most important pieces of technology they'd give us to defend the system.

I liked the emotional part when Tigh died.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #42
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thumbs up

Hi, Pegasus,

Thank you for the very kind words about the story.

Actually, I think there was a part in the story where I mentioned that the Earth , with Colonial assistance, was going to at least be developing ground based laser defense weaponry, and begin work on the first Earth built Colonial Vipers.

In honesty, when I wrote Dark Exodus, it had been many yahrens since I'd gotten to fully see the episodes of Galactica...I actually ended up writing the story with the same material that Ronald D. Moore had to work with, that being Saga of a Star World. However, I did use MANY online references to try and keep my story straight, and truer to Classic Galactica. So, I do not fully recall what Dr. Ravishol did regarding the future of the Ravishol Pulsar. That which I could not fully recall didn't quite make it into the storyline of Dark Exodus. But I did try to be as complete on as many issues as possible. Hopefully, my sequel story Reciprocity will cover the areas that perhaps DE did not.

In a brief spoiler for the sequel Reciprocity: Starbuck, Boomer, and Sheba are going to train the first ever Earth pilots that will fly the first ever Earth built Colonial Vipers.

The pulsar technology would come in very handy, considering the incredible odds I am about to throw against Earth and the Colonials and their allies. But, I am not sure if I will incorporate it. There are things I am doing in the story that MAY either lead it up to be a trilogy....or just a REALLY REALLY long sequel story.

I plan some very moving drama, and perhaps a bit of psychological and spiritual tension for Reciprocity. (Nothing that violates the spirit of Galactica, but definitely intensifies it to a level that many may not expect.) I am also thinking there is going to be a GREAT tragedy in the story....a very lifeshattering event on a personal level.

Thanks again, Pegasus, for your kind words and keen insights. I hope you will enjoy Reciprocity as it rolls along. I am also glad that you liked how I portrayed Tigh's demise. I thought, here is a great character, but the torch must inevitably be passed on to what has become the standard among the fan lexicon...Apollo must command. I wanted to give Tigh a very emotional ending. I am glad you saw it as such.

With greatest appreciation,
Martok2112
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #43
julix
Bad Email Address

Steve..
was glancing around the thread and saw your last post to pegasus.

Then I saw an outine for your 2nd installmentl....looks very cool. Great ideas..I like the direction it looks like it is taking. I might have to break down and read chapters which goes against my grain!!!!!
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #44
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by julix
Steve..
was glancing around the thread and saw your last post to pegasus.

Then I saw an outine for your 2nd installmentl....looks very cool. Great ideas..I like the direction it looks like it is taking. I might have to break down and read chapters which goes against my grain!!!!!
(((((((((((((((((((Julix)))))))))))))))))))

Heh heh...well, don't fight the urge darlin'.
Actually, it would be nice to get some feedback on the new story as it progresses.

Respectfully,
Martok2112 (Steve)