http://s4.invisionfree.com/Battlesta...p?showtopic=23

kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:42 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Looks like we got the shaft again. Saga is delayed now until April. I went to borders and was that there was a slim chance that today would be the day. I called and was told they now have no idea when they are coming.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:51 PM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

I'd be happy if a current comic book company of today would take BG and update it. A continuation in the comics, done right! Would please alot of people. It's almost been 10 years since Maximum Press took comic shop buyers by surprise with the release of a new Galactica book in the summer of June of 1995.

I've often asked the "What If" question, if BG were to be in comics again today?

I really don't know now. but one day heh. Yup, one day indeed.

KJ
Old January 31st, 2005, 10:37 PM   #4
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

I think the people doing Richards new Magellan comic are looking into seeing if they can get the rights. If they are at Mega Con next month, I will ask.

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM   #5
KJ
Strike Leader

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Dude you're not kidding are ya?

If thats true, hope Richard's got a fallback plan for the copyrights cos if a new series like the others doesn't pan out. At least selling them to another independent company that does comics would be an easier process.

Don't want to rain on anybody parade with Richard's team doing the Magellan comic. But i hope this news comes with a plan of ensuring any future Galactica comic doesn't tie up the 'copyrights' to do so.

Thanks for the news dilbertman, "You The Man"! And i honestly wish all the best with whomever going to do the next set of Original series: Battlestar Galactica comics.

KJ
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM   #6
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

NO KIDDING!

When I saw them at DragonCon last fall, they told me they wanted to try to get the right to do a OS Galactica comic. I tried to put them in contact with Chris Scalf of Realm Press, he was the last person to do a Galactica comic and I hoped he would be able to pass on any info he may still have to Blam! comics. As far as I know, they have yet to make contact with Chris. I do not know if Richard would have anything to do with a Galactica if Blam! gets the rights. Again if they are at Mega Con in a few weeks I will ask.

Jim
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:29 PM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

Wow, thanks man. Tell'em if they do get the rights. HAVE THAT BACK UP PLAN. Just in case. had my heart set on seeing the copyrights wind up at Dark Horse. Be that not the case, hope the new possible owners forsee and avoid obstacles like "limbo" and snatch those rights. Should the comic book not work out, pass it onwards pronto.

Milracleman coming back this year (i think) and look how many years he's been out of it?

Loopholes, stopping any good comic property or adaptation getting publish ain't funny.

Keep us posted dilbertman, damn i've been waiting to hear news about BG in comics again for ages.

KJ
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:08 PM   #8
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

One thing about the rights. When I talked to Chris about a year or so ago it was that NBC/U wanted a arm and a leg for them, or he may have tried to get them again. NBC/U are pricing the right out in space, where no one can get them.

Jim
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbertman
One thing about the rights. When I talked to Chris about a year or so ago it was that NBC/U wanted a arm and a leg for them, or he may have tried to get them again. NBC/U are pricing the right out in space, where no one can get them.

Jim
That's nothing new, Jim. Universal has charged large sums for licencing for years, regardless of who owned them.

Nothing like supporting your franchise.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:26 PM   #10
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbertman
I think the people doing Richards new Magellan comic are looking into seeing if they can get the rights.
God I hope not, it'll be amateur hour all over again.

Peter (comic book reader since the age of five)
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:31 PM   #11
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
Wow, thanks man. Tell'em if they do get the rights. HAVE THAT BACK UP PLAN. Just in case. had my heart set on seeing the copyrights wind up at Dark Horse. Be that not the case, hope the new possible owners forsee and avoid obstacles like "limbo" and snatch those rights. Should the comic book not work out, pass it onwards pronto.

KJ
The fact that Star Wars is at DH, would make me think GL would not be happy to see Galactica there. My two cents. I to would have liked to see Galactica at DH, but I just don't see it happening.

Jim
Old February 2nd, 2005, 06:33 AM   #12
scalf001
Bad Email Address

Hi,
jim and all..

Chris here. Just a comment regarding the Dark Horse thing--

When I was doing the comic back in '97, I remember wanting to put advertisements for it in Dark Horse comics. Specifically, Star Wars and any other sci fi genre comic. But the fact was that I was told "no way" by the powers that be for any possible tie-in concerning Galactica advertising in a Star Wars comic. But instead, they were able to put it in Lost In Space (the movie) comics.

It was explained to me that the old lawsuits still had lasting effects, and that the higher ups would never allow an ad to be put in a Star Wars comic...

With that said, I always presumed that there might be a possible conflict Dark Horse having both licenses at the same time... I wonder.

Of course, that was a while ago when I was doing it. Things might be different now.
scalf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:30 PM   #13
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Hey Chris

Thanks for stoping by, you need to do it more. Boy you would think after more then 25 year GL would get over it by now. I guess he don't want anyone playing in his sandbox. Anyway I'm looking forward to the new TPB of the old Galactica comic whenever they come out.

Jim
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:23 AM   #14
KJ
Strike Leader

Wow, i just wanna say if thats THEE 'Chris Scalf' i'm honored. Hello Chris. I was an avid buyer of the Realm Press Comics, damn hard to find but i've got quite a lot of them. Many have said if the Galactica comics come back would you be involved somehow. i'd hope that'll would be a reality one day.

Sad to hear Lucas hasn't gotten over it. But Dark Horse caters to many properties why should he feel competition to be a bad thing. I think he should feel threatend if Star Trek's copyrights suddenly knocked on Dark Horse's door? It's a pity cos i find Dark Horse has a knack for making most properties work. Dark Horse publish several Star Wars comics and have a huge franchise only matched by Star Trek. why feel one Battlestar Galactica comic book gonna steal your thunder completely, is a sad unfunny joke if you ask me.

If i had the resources and experience in the business i'd do an underground style comic book. but even then i'd have to obtain the copyrights which Universal studios charges too much for it seems.

Keep us update Dilbertman. Chris Scalf, nice of you to drop by thanks man!

KJ