Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Merchandise & Memorabilia
Notices

Old October 29th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #1
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Big Grin TOS Galactica Council Seal Box kit

Hello everyone!

Yup, I just keep at it. I have now molded the scarab box as seen in the Classic Galactica episode "Lost Planet Of The Gods". It was used to store the Seal Of Kobol in.

I managed to get one of the real 1970's vintage off-the-shelf boxes exactly like the one used in the show. But the detail on it was so "soft" and the box itself was warped... it wasn't worth the silicone to mold the real thing. What I did: I measured. I studied. I drew plans. Then I re-created the box portion to the same measurements as the original, put clean, distinct copies of the real heiroglyphs on the sides and cast a new mold. The Scarab device on the top of the box was in decent shape, so I took an alginate mold of the real thing and cast a workable copy. I cleaned that copy up immensely (had to go in and re-define all the extremely soft lines) and it comes as a separate piece that you glue onto the lid. All in all, this is the closest thing to the real thing you'll find.

I cannot post images here, but if you like, you can see te box at this thread elsewhere: http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/inde...howtopic=98493

Otherwise i'll be happy to send jpegs to anyone who is interested.

What you get for your hard earned sheckles:

Box Body (pressure cast resin)
Box Lid (pressure cast resin)
Lid Scarab (resin pressure cast from an original!)
[In all that's almost 30 ounces of resin)
Sintra lid return (glues to the bottom of the lid)
Felt for non-scratch bottom

You'll have to supply your own purple satin for the interior pilow.
The Council Seal is NOT included. Council Seals are available with your box order for $6 each.

Kit price: $39.00 PLUS $5.50 shipping inside the US.

I accept PayPal, money orders and personal checks with time to clear the bank.
Paypal id is spcglider@aol.com

Thanks for looking!

Death to the cylons.

-Gordon
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #2
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

That's a very impressive creation. I do suggest you consider the advice of the poster in the other thread about also posting a picture of the original (a screenshot from the series) for direct comparison....

It looks excellent....
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #3
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Muffit Pictures up now...

Thanks!

I've added some grainy screen shots to the posting (all I could manage). But at least they give a little bit of comparison ability!

-Gordon

Last edited by spcglider; October 30th, 2005 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: New information
spcglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:25 AM   #4
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Thanks for the pix.......

Although in direct comparison....is your piece not too tall ?
Old October 31st, 2005, 06:41 AM   #5
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Nope.
I measured directly from an original model of the same make. This one is exactly the same height as the original. The segments of the wall height (base, angle trim, and heiroglyph areas) are all exactly the same height as the original. If you stand them next to each other on a table, they are exactly the same height. What you're perceiving is the curve at the bottom of the original... which is a molding flaw. The bottom of mine doesn't curve inward so severely. Its easily sanded to appear that way, though. When I created the new model, I removed all of the casting flaws and returned the design to "square one"... straight walls, no warping. These items were made in China for the "king tut" mania sweeping the nation in the 1970's and their quality was not very good. The lid is pretty much nice and square, but the body of the box was bulged out quite a bit like it was cast in a mold with no jacket support. Probably a latex mold at that, considering the time period.

But anyway, the model-builder can choose to curve that bottom in if they desire. In fact, they could even put the warp back in the walls by heating up the casting and shoving a softball into the box... that'd about do it.

-Gordon
Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:26 AM   #6
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Gordon,

I must have just been the way the pictures were angled. I was looking at little finger of the person holding it in the first BSG screenshot, and then thinking how big a little finger would be in the images you took. The little finger nail looks to be the height of the base in the screenshot....but looking at your image the base would be a lot bigger than a little fingernail......

As I said, it must just be the differences between the pictures.....
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:47 AM   #7
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Dang Gordon! That rocks. And I have to have one, but I don't have the cubits right now. Perhaps next month? Save one for me just in case...

You are making all of us go broke!! BUt keep up the excellent work. You are a Galactica fan's dream come true!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:22 AM   #8
spcglider
Squadron Leader

" I must have just been the way the pictures were angled. I was looking at little finger of the person holding it in the first BSG screenshot, and then thinking how big a little finger would be in the images you took. The little finger nail looks to be the height of the base in the screenshot....but looking at your image the base would be a lot bigger than a little fingernail......

As I said, it must just be the differences between the pictures..... "

Yeah. Its difficult to make comparisons with these two samples, I know.

First, I'm a crappy photographer. I know how to point and shoot and that's about it. My shots have a little bit of funkiness in that there's a slight "fisheye" because of the way I had to focus the camera. In the end, we're comparing a closer digital shot (and not a very good one) to a screen capture of an item that is farther away from camera first on actual film and then on video DVD and then screen captured and finally modified in photoshop so I could post it without blowing my entire megabyte budget at RPF.

That having been said, I gotta interject that in the screen shots you're looking at Richard and Lorne's hands. Have you EVER SEEN the meathooks on either of those guys??? I mean both of them have LARGE hands. (No comments please!)

For reference: The exact height measurement of the base of the box (not including the angled detail panel) is 7/8". My pinkie finger tip is more than 2/3rds that height and I have small hands. The footprint of the box is 6.5" x 4.25". The overall height of the box is 2 5/8" (including the lid). In my shot its sitting on a package of 8.5 x 11 paper (but that doesn't help with figuring height so much).

Anyhow, sorry to have mis-led with my crap-tacular photography skills!!!

-Gordon

Death to the Cylons!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:27 AM   #9
spcglider
Squadron Leader

" Dang Gordon! That rocks. And I have to have one, but I don't have the cubits right now. Perhaps next month? Save one for me just in case...

You are making all of us go broke!! BUt keep up the excellent work. You are a Galactica fan's dream come true!"

Wait a minute... If I'm a Galactica fan then I'M MY OWN DREAM COME TRUE???

There's something seriously unsettling about that. I'm sure I should discuss this with my wife...

-G