Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Colonial Library
Notices
Colonial Library Grab a glass of ambrosa and wrap yourself around stories, written by residents of our little corner of the universe!

Old April 5th, 2022, 06:50 PM   #1
JSC1
Warrior

Default The Final Duty

This was a creative exercise I have been doing. Would love to hear thoughts on this as maybe there is a script or story I could hammer out of this.

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/ed...34365255198272
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2022, 10:44 AM   #2
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: The Final Duty

Not seeing anything when I click on the link. Would be happy to give it a look.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2022, 07:47 PM   #3
Senmut
Strike Leader

No luck here, either.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:26 PM   #4
JSC1
Warrior

Give it a minute. It takes a while for the print to appear on the screen apparently.

If it still doesn't, I'm open to other ideas on making it appear on a screen for those to read.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
Old May 14th, 2022, 08:39 PM   #5
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I think what happens is that we click on the link it's defaulting us to a main page. This is the page I end up on when I click the link.

https://www.blogger.com/dashboard/reading
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old May 14th, 2022, 08:43 PM   #6
Senmut
Strike Leader

Same here.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2022, 08:24 PM   #7
JSC1
Warrior

https://thelossofkinderangels.blogsp...inal-duty.html

Will this link work?
Old June 16th, 2022, 04:20 PM   #8
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Yep, that works! Thanks.

Old June 16th, 2022, 11:47 PM   #9
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Gone through it. I'll be interested in seeing what you can do with this in a script or story format. A couple suggestions I'd make:

1-Establish what happened to the main characters from the series. Other than "Sire Box" who is the grown Boxey I think some of these next generation characters should have a connection to characters like Boomer, Athena, Starbuck, Cassie etc. I noticed only late a reference to Sheba. It's easier to embrace "next generation" characters in a story if there's some general establishment of what happened to the old gang without getting too bogged down.

2-I was a little confused with "ending 3" which mentions "Ovions break away from Cylons to pursue humanity themselves. " The Ovions would be an extinct race now in light of the fact that Carillon blew up.

Keep writing and share with us what you develop further!

Old June 23rd, 2022, 07:18 PM   #10
JSC1
Warrior

https://thelossofkinderangels.blogsp...inal-duty.html

Added some creative notes. May want to take a look.

In regards to the Ovions, I read that Tom DeSanto wanted to bring the Ovions back at some point. So I was just following up on that wish.

I also figure the Cylons and Ovions would be at cross purposes with the humans as the Cylons would want them destroyed, and the Ovions would want them as cattle. But I will also admit to having second thoughts in regards to the Ovions, as I think to include them this early might overwhelm the story. They might be better served in a separate story of their own.
Old June 23rd, 2022, 07:26 PM   #11
JSC1
Warrior

Captain Adama would be the connection to the Adama family, as would be Sire Box. The Cylon's 'battle computer' in the pod would actually be Starbuck and Angela's child from the Judgement Day episode.

I also think I have to go with original creations because that might be what sells more. Legacies would have to be kept to a minimum as people might not be that interested in the 78 characters as we would be. And they might want characters with their own identities rather than be part of a bloodline.

But regardless I do want the legacies mentioned. While I haven't finished 'Saga of the Fugitive Fleet' the records and surveillance room has given me an idea or two for the story, especially as it would involve acquiring resources to get the Galactica upgraded and maintained.
Old June 23rd, 2022, 07:30 PM   #12
JSC1
Warrior

The Old Guard would be represented by the Mausoleum ship, a nod to a previous proposal, where their stories and sagas are recorded. The ship is also sacrificed as a final gesture to secure the safety of the fleet.

Even in passing the Warriors still fulfil their final duty to one another, and to the citizens of the fleet-hense part of the reason for the title 'The Final Duty'.
Old June 24th, 2022, 07:57 AM   #13
JSC1
Warrior

I was thinking a little about characters with connections to ‘the old gang’ or ‘the old guard’. Eric thought I should have new characters connected to the old, and I think I need to stick to originals for right now.

That doesn’t mean there can’t be a group of ‘Legacy Warriors’ that are like Flynn Lives from TRON:Legacy. They are inspired by the original Warriors tales, and some are even descendants of the originals carrying on the fight against Dyon.

Their story would likely be a separate story. Likely an epilogue along the lines of TRON: The Next Day was on the TRON: Legacy blu-ray
Old September 24th, 2023, 07:17 PM   #14
JSC1
Warrior

Want to do a quick post on 'The Final Duty' here.

Act 1 is done. At least in handwritten form. Had bigger Act 1 in mind, but with some unexpected additions the original Act 1 plan got a little too big to manage so I split it into separate acts. The other half of Act 1 is now the new Act 2. With the old Acts 2 and 3 being the new Acts 3 and 4, barring other changes.

Hopefully as I continue to write this script things will proceed faster. As I heard it once said 'Starting is the hardest part.'

Also writing short scenes as well. Three are tied to the 'Return of Starbuck' episode of G80, which would be renamed 'Judgement Day'. One I hope can serve as a conceptual trailer for Final Duty like Joe Kozinski did for TRON: Legacy years ago.

Will share what work I can when I can.
Old September 24th, 2023, 07:19 PM   #15
JSC1
Warrior

Also bear in mind I am approaching 'Final Duty' like Geordi LaForge restored the Enterprise D in Season 3 of Star Trek: Picard. Bit by bit over time. But I do not plan on this script taking 20 years to write.
Old October 20th, 2023, 12:00 AM   #16
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Glad you're still trying to bring your creative vision forward!