Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:03 PM   #1
WarMachine
Warrior

Default VS2/Other Fanfic Efforts -- Scripting Sorftware

Just a couple of questions for the budding moviemakers out there:

1. Has anyone done any of the VS2 eps - or any other fanfic of note, for that matter - in script format?

2. Does anyone know of any kind of local studio system, like the old public-access cable system, that incorporates green-screens (or blue-) for public use?

3. Does anyone know of any software out there for home-PCs that can mesh live-action actors/actresses on green-screen and CGI?

Just wondering.......
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Well I can only speak for the VS authors in that no one's approached us about that. Writing in the script format is generally not the way I usually do those kind of things because the script format prevents you from getting inside the heads of the characters.

Of course one VS story does technically exist in script format since it was an adaptation of an unfilmed episode "Two For Twilly."
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: VS2/Other Fanfic Efforts -- Scripting Sorftware

I would LOVE to see some of our VS stories wind up in script format. Seeing where that could take us would be fun.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #4
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Generally, you need a connection with the studio to schedule time with them. As for available studios, I have links with three that I can get for a fairly reasonable rate but they are all in Orlando. Most will want to know that you have the copyright to whatever effort you're attempting. Depending on the specific studio, you will likely also be required to hire their crew since they don't want a bunch of monkeys abusing their equipment.

After Effects is a very good compositing software setup for the PC. Presuming you did the initial footage correctly, it also does wonders taking out the greenscreen effects. There are quite a few other compositing programs and in this day and age, most of them work with some sort of plugin that will take care of greenscreening.

Keep in mind that this sort of compositing is usually the type that gives the newcomer a lot of headaches.

If you have a CGI artist who is worth a damn, chances are they are already very well versed in this sort of thing. If not, you need to get that worked out before you go further. Based on your description, my impression is that you haven't developed a comprehensive plan on working the CG side of this or determined how much is involved. Apologies if that isn't true.

For scriptwriting, I work exclusively in Final Draft, which conforms with all industry standards. I think Screenwriter Pro was a good starter program. I'm not sure if that's still available.

BTW - What is "VS"?

All my best,

Sandy
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

VS = Virtual Second Season. These are the stories for the second season of BSG that never was. These guys are among the writers.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote