Galactica and Fleets News ADMIN ANNOUNCED, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and
COLONIAL FLEETS NEWS
ONLY please.

Old November 21st, 2006, 09:53 AM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Petition for Classic Galactica comics continuation...

Alright, folks, Joe Rybrandt (the marketing director for Dynamite comics) has given TOS fans an opportunity to speak out, after getting sick and tired of all the complaints by a few people that their current story line simply weaves in and out of the first season, and goes nowhere forward.

I have drafted up and signed an epetition. Joe needs at least 10,000 to 15,000 signatures to possibly get the ball rolling.

Time to stop complaining, and perhaps do something about a continuation story.

Here's the site, if you want to make your voice known. Those of you who know more TOS fans who would love to see a continuation happen, even in comic book form, give them this petition link.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/B...fGodGalactica/

Complain, and be laughed at. Or SIGN, and be HEARD!

Martok2112
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM   #2
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...

Done Martok. You can count my voice.

Steve

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM   #3
jjrakman

Someone should pass this on to all the Yahoo Groups
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Whomever is a part of ANY TOS Galactica based Yahoo group...definitely post it. I will post it at my Yahoo groups too.

Respectfully,
Martok2112

P.S. JJ, I take it the link works from here? I've reposted the links anywhere that the link may have turned up "Page not found". Good eye, JJ.
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM   #5
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Signed! I will see where I can pass it along as well.
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:03 AM   #6
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

I have signed the petition, but how do I read the comments left by others, and see how many people have signed it ?
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM   #7
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
I have signed the petition, but how do I read the comments left by others, and see how many people have signed it ?

Oh, I'm gonna THWACK you!!!

At the top of the page, click on the tab which says "Signatures".
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:30 AM   #8
gmd3d
Major

Signed

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:03 PM   #9
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Well spotted BST.....!!!
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM   #10
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

And as you can see....we've got some signatories
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM   #11
gmd3d
Major

I buy them if they do it right. always loved reading comics ...

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:40 PM   #12
evil_genius_180
Warrior

TOS Galactica + comic books = happy evil_genius

I'm there, thanks for posting the link.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:43 PM   #13
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thank you all for signing.

Try to find some other signers. Give 'em the link.

Go forth and multiply.

er...well...ok, maybe not that last one...but you know what I mean.

Martok2112
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:07 PM   #14
evil_genius_180
Warrior

I know some people on another forum I post on that will probably want something to do with this, so I'll post this there also.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 03:15 PM   #15
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I signed it, but honestly the more this guy at their board, Rybrandt opens his mouth, the more I just find myself rolling my eyes at how anyone could be so dense regarding the feelings of what the original series fanbase would have been happy to see. His latest excuse for why they didn't go the continuation route was because of the negative reaction to Ronald D. Moore's unmentionable thing that he even classified as a "continuation" and figured that if there were people who couldn't like Moore's unmentionable thing, then the same people would just say nasty things about any kind of TOS continuation.

I honestly thought I'd heard everything when it came to incredibly ridiculous things I could possibly hear with regard to TOS, but this one had me shaking my head and going in the immortal words of Bob Newhart, "Is this a rib?" Unfortunately it's a comment on what happens when anything related to TOS ends up in the hands of people who don't take a moment to actually study the show and realize why its had such long-term appeal.

I hope more people will sign it and I've passed it on to the fanfic mailing list (where people with diverse visions of what happened next have been living in perfect harmony for a decade), but I wish I had some actual faith in the people running Dynamite instead, and so far, the signs just aren't encouraging.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:09 PM   #16
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
I signed it, but honestly the more this guy at their board, Rybrandt opens his mouth, the more I just find myself rolling my eyes at how anyone could be so dense regarding the feelings of what the original series fanbase would have been happy to see. His latest excuse for why they didn't go the continuation route was because of the negative reaction to Ronald D. Moore's unmentionable thing that he even classified as a "continuation" and figured that if there were people who couldn't like Moore's unmentionable thing, then the same people would just say nasty things about any kind of TOS continuation.

I honestly thought I'd heard everything when it came to incredibly ridiculous things I could possibly hear with regard to TOS, but this one had me shaking my head and going in the immortal words of Bob Newhart, "Is this a rib?" Unfortunately it's a comment on what happens when anything related to TOS ends up in the hands of people who don't take a moment to actually study the show and realize why its had such long-term appeal.

I hope more people will sign it and I've passed it on to the fanfic mailing list (where people with diverse visions of what happened next have been living in perfect harmony for a decade), but I wish I had some actual faith in the people running Dynamite instead, and so far, the signs just aren't encouraging.

Eric, I'll be straight with you. Part of the reason you're catching so much flak is because of your approach. Although I agree with the heart of the matter you bring up, your approach is very condescending...especially toward the writers and promoters of the Classic comic. It only fits that you end up getting a snarky reply when you blast the writers for doing their jobs. I do not say these things to hurt you, my friend, but to get you to open your eyes to your approach.

All these guys are doing are their jobs. They're selling a product, and it's apparently selling pretty well.

What we have to do, Eric, is encourage those folks...not blast them for daggit droppings. I know...you're hurting from 27 plus years of denial...but give someone a chance to do the right thing before blasting them for inaction.

Joe already said: "I think this proves that we're willing to listen."

You've got to stop taking things over a TV show so personally.

(going into MOD mode)
As for Ron Moore's BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, that's not open to discussion here....praising, slamming, renaming, euphemizing, applying missives...whatever. Regardless how it may fit into the discussion at the Dynamite boards, it has no place here.
(end MOD mode)

Respectfully, and with no malice,
Steve

P.S. I am sincerely glad that you signed the petition, Eric. The number has already reached 30.... only 9,970 more sigs to go to reach the bare minimum for consideration by Dynamite.
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:13 PM   #17
tracyb144

I signed it

I'll post it on the DB site as well as getting word out to the various groups and forums for ye ol' original *$

..T
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM   #18
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I only made my posts at that place in what I thought, and still feel, were reasonably expressed points of view in which there'd hopefully be a dialogue if what I had to say was somehow out of line, or if the concerns I expressed were somehow based on a faulty premise, they'd make themselves known on that point. On that point, Rybrandt failed miserably. Goodness knows if someone were raising some objections to what I wrote in a project or were expressing some deep rooted concerns, I'd take the time out to have a dialogue with them if they were expressing their concerns in a reasonable way.

If their press releases are going to keep using terms like "toasters" to describe Cylons, or hype their stories in a way that frankly I think conceal the matter of their stories *not* being continuation ones, I'm really not sure I get where the problem lies in commenting on that. I don't think there was anything "whiny" in it, and while its true that the writers are there to do jobs, and so too are the PR people, if you're going to make your stuff part of the public arena, you're also going to invite criticism if there's any legit criticism out there to be made.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:39 PM   #19
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb144
I signed it

I'll post it on the DB site as well as getting word out to the various groups and forums for ye ol' original *$

..T

Thanks, Tracy. Do spread the word where ye can.
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:41 PM   #20
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
I only made my posts at that place in what I thought, and still feel, were reasonably expressed points of view in which there'd hopefully be a dialogue if what I had to say was somehow out of line, or if the concerns I expressed were somehow based on a faulty premise, they'd make themselves known on that point. On that point, Rybrandt failed miserably. Goodness knows if someone were raising some objections to what I wrote in a project or were expressing some deep rooted concerns, I'd take the time out to have a dialogue with them if they were expressing their concerns in a reasonable way.

If their press releases are going to keep using terms like "toasters" to describe Cylons, or hype their stories in a way that frankly I think conceal the matter of their stories *not* being continuation ones, I'm really not sure I get where the problem lies in commenting on that. I don't think there was anything "whiny" in it, and while its true that the writers are there to do jobs, and so too are the PR people, if you're going to make your stuff part of the public arena, you're also going to invite criticism if there's any legit criticism out there to be made.
Understood, Eric.

Right now, all I ask for is (for lack of a better word) restraint. Let's see what happens. We've waited 27 yahrens...we can wait a little longer.

Right now, though, the fate of consideration itself rests with a ton more signatures.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:03 PM   #21
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Steve -

I went ahead and posted the info along with a link to the petition at the Star Trek: Hidden Frontier forum just to get the word out in an arena where there is a bit more traffic of SciFi fans.

I hope we get some more signatures out of it.

I'd post the info at the Miata forum I post at, but I wouldn't know where to put it......!

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:39 PM   #22
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
Steve -

I'd post the info at the Miata forum I post at, but I wouldn't know where to put it......!

Bryan
Maybe if you posted it as "Battle-CAR Galactica"
Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:16 AM   #23
jjrakman

Is this posted on Dynamite comic's own bboard?

Also it would be great if they published a fan letter in their next comic with the URL for this petition in it.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:21 AM   #24
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

No, I've not posted it there, but now that I think about it, I will.

And ya never know...after that, it just might appear in a future issue.

Good thought there, JJ.

Martok2112
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:34 PM   #25
jjrakman

And doesn't Kingfish have a lot of forums?
Old November 22nd, 2006, 08:00 PM   #26
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Pacifica that I know of. I didn't know he had more beyond that. I've made a petition link at Pacifica.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 08:12 PM   #27
jjrakman

Maybe some of the Admin here and at CA & BSG CLub might be willing to send out a mass e-mail to their membership, to contact some of the members who haven't been active in a while.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 08:40 PM   #28
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrakman
Maybe some of the Admin here and at CA & BSG CLub might be willing to send out a mass e-mail to their membership, to contact some of the members who haven't been active in a while.
JJ,

It's not a matter of willingness but, more like one of effectiveness.

There may be some other methods of "getting the message out" which would be less cumbersome and more 'verifiable'. (There is always the alternative of inviting one to see things, as they are, for oneself.)

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:38 PM   #29
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

And the invitation has been sent out.
Old November 24th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #30
KJ
Strike Leader

Yo Martok!

I've been away for a week or so, and people here know of that fact. Just been reading a few things here about this petition so i'm catching up with recent events.

Hmmmm?

I see this petition has probably brought "trolls" out as i see number 69 of the petition has somebody claiming to be me? Ted? Languatron? Scooter, Stallion and the idiotic moist boys? I don't know do did that, but i haven't signed this thing yet (how could i have, i've been away?) So i suggest if you have any connections with this Joe person, please retify this nonsense and remove any Trollish comments front here etc. whomever's I.P. address was used to make that idiotic signature '69' should be tracked down and be dealt with, ban their i.P. address etc. Cos i don't want some "braindead" loser using my name in that way claiming i said that sh*t?

Kinda childish of whomever to stir up any possibly 'hornets nest' with this crap after 5 or so years later on the internet don't ya think!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/B...ignatures.html

Pathetic of whomever to try and get a rise in this way.

Be gutsy enough to challenge or reveal yourself to me and everybody else or go away you sad excuse of a person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok2112
Alright, folks, Joe Rybrandt (the marketing director for Dynamite comics) has given TOS fans an opportunity to speak out, after getting sick and tired of all the complaints by a few people that their current story line simply weaves in and out of the first season, and goes nowhere forward.

I have drafted up and signed an epetition. Joe needs at least 10,000 to 15,000 signatures to possibly get the ball rolling.
Far as my comment for this thing goes...

Seems too high a tally for any action to be taken. Why not 5,000 instead? 10,000 and beyond is too much to ask for in my opinion. It took 10,000 dollars for the CFF effort to get ads for a Battlestar Galactica continuation in Vareity magazine and Cinescape out there to the masses. Why so high a number for yet another petition again, when the reaction is wayyy too slow by the looks of things and i'm being very honest here! Great petitions have huge numbers in a matter of days. This won't reach the numbers in the thousands for a long while to come.

I understand how big the United States as a country is but come on, the comics industry isn't that big anymore where comic lables like Dynamite Entertainment can command folks to ask for that much in petition replies so quickly???

Anyways somebody please fix that B.S. with whomever using my name, cos if i'm to sign this thing i want to use my name. CF e-mail me when its done and i'll sign, cos i don't want some joker using my name and making those comments. And i want no excuses or reasons why it can't be done either (put yourself in my position?). You really can't ask me to sign, if trolls from this fandom's area, are taking liberities and making stupid comments with a fellow CF member's name?

What good can i do now if that sh*t is going on!

Can i count on people here backing me up and clearing my name?

KJ