Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Old September 10th, 2018, 02:48 PM   #1
SeanP
Shuttle Pilot

Cool TOS Battlestar Galactica Model

Back in 2003 I started building the Galactica, but gave up due to lack of good quality reference photos and the insane level of detail the ship has on it's hull. Over the last couple years I have compiled quite a library of reference photos (about 750 MB worth) so I decided to restart the project. I scrapped almost everything I had built before and started over. My goal is to make the most accurate and most detailed 3D model ever made of this ship. (Giving Titon a little competition.) It will take me several years to complete as this is a hobby for me and I don't get as much time as I would like to spend on it. I work full time as an IT person, I am a science fiction author working on publishing my second book and of course I am a husband and a father. Here are some pictures of the ship so far. I am getting some weird shadows happening in the third pic - I think it's a bug in MAX - happens at certain angles.

SeanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: TOS Battlestar Galactica Model

Keep it up!

BTW....what's the name of your book?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 03:47 AM   #3
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Looking good! I work about as fast you as you Sean. If you haven't notice after 15 years i am still working on this dang thing!
Old September 11th, 2018, 07:19 AM   #4
SeanP
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Keep it up!

BTW....what's the name of your book?
Thanks Senmut!

My book is titled Alien Genocide.

Old September 11th, 2018, 07:25 AM   #5
SeanP
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon View Post
Looking good! I work about as fast you as you Sean. If you haven't notice after 15 years i am still working on this dang thing!
Thanks Don!
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this thing took me 15 years as well.
Something I've noticed is as I find better reference photos I find lots of little things to add and fix. I grabbed some of Michael's pics off Facebook the other day and immediately found about 10 things to fix and add to the little bit of detail on the rear landing bay cap. I feel like each piece will be rebuilt 3 times to make it accurate. He also pointed out that my bay arms were wrong - those are fixed now.
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:18 AM   #6
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanP View Post
Thanks Don!
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this thing took me 15 years as well.
Something I've noticed is as I find better reference photos I find lots of little things to add and fix. I grabbed some of Michael's pics off Facebook the other day and immediately found about 10 things to fix and add to the little bit of detail on the rear landing bay cap. I feel like each piece will be rebuilt 3 times to make it accurate. He also pointed out that my bay arms were wrong - those are fixed now.
Now you know why it's taking so long for me to finish. I got into 3d printing and have a couple printers. I have actually been printing parts of the model to accurately fit the kit parts to know how close i am.

I know i am nuts!
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:27 AM   #7
SeanP
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Now you know why it's taking so long for me to finish. I got into 3d printing and have a couple printers. I have actually been printing parts of the model to accurately fit the kit parts to know how close i am.

I know i am nuts!
Hey I thought about 3D printing everything when I'm done and build a studio scale model - we'll see how that goes in the future.
Either that or spend the $12,000 USD on the JAWS kit.
I'm seriously considering buying a model and 3D scanning it to avoid building those little tank bodies from scratch.
Old September 11th, 2018, 01:06 PM   #8
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanP View Post
Hey I thought about 3D printing everything when I'm done and build a studio scale model - we'll see how that goes in the future.
Either that or spend the $12,000 USD on the JAWS kit.
I'm seriously considering buying a model and 3D scanning it to avoid building those little tank bodies from scratch.
I say were both nuts!

Old September 11th, 2018, 02:07 PM   #9
SeanP
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
I say were both nuts!

Totally agree!