Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 26th, 2003, 10:05 AM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Some thoughts on Role models

A poster (dirtigun) on SciFi got me thinking: he commented on the lack of African Americans in the G03 cast vs. their prominence in the TOS cast, they said:
Quote:
"I just regret that Mr. Moore aparently feels that he can either provide White and Black Males with heroes OR provide heroines for the Female fans, even though he was given a vehicle that had, in its time, provided both. "
You make a point that wasn't missed by the NAACP in 1979--they nominated "Fire in Space" for an NAACP Image Award because of Col. Tigh's assuming command when Adama was injured and Boomer's leadership and heroic acts in saving the folks in the rejuvination center from the fire. They modelled outstanding behavior and leadership under extreme circumstances and did it well.

Combine that with strong female characters like Sheba: who once had one of the best male pilots in the fleet locked in her targeting sights and he couldn't shake her (Living Legend).

I'm glad that the new cast includes Asians and Hispanics, but I wonder if the African American actors didn't take the rewrites as an insult to their race: to go from a crack pilot capable of commanding a squadron (Boomer: Hand of God, Experiment in Terra) to a barely capable pilot and Cylon plant (Sharon). To go from an outspoken, but dignified, confident, loyal, friend and confidant (Tigh) to a drunken brawl-seeking, gambler (Paul Tigh): how much deeper an insult do you need?

Role models. Epic Heroes. And they had flaws and weaknesses--but the greater good of their people always brought out the best in them. As it does in real life with real heroes. But don't expect to see them in December on Scifi. And role models aren't the only thing missing: even the Galactica is not herself.

Buy the DVDs if you want role models or Galactica. Amazon dropped the Box Set price yesterday. ;-)

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Other Notable African Americans IN BG

Brock Peters-Sire Solon.
Sheila DeWindt-Lt Dietra.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

These are good thoughts jewels. The original BSG sported characters with, well, character! They had admirable human qualities we could all aspire to. And the fact that minorities were represented with good, loveable characters was reminiscent of Star Trek TOS.

We have too many examples of stereotyped minorities or minorities only allowed to play comedic or dysfunctional roles.

Thanks for sharing...
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:43 PM   #4
Shatter
Bad Email Address

Since I was young, I’ve been fascinated by the Arthurian legends. They were amongst my favorite stories as a boy and I continue to seek out novels and books about King Arthur and his knights to this day. The stories certainly have an epic quality. They tell of the rise and fall of an ideal kingdom in England, where knights defended the rights of the helpless, completed impossible quests, and battled mysterious, magical enemies. Some of the characters, such as Galahad, are virtuous beyond reproach. But most, like Gawain, Lancelot, Guinevere, and even Arthur himself possess real flaws and struggles. Ultimately, despite mistakes and disasters, they respond heroically to the threat of evil, and vanquish it. Early exposure to those stories predisposed me to love tales of epic adventure, and gave me an appreciation for heroes that overcame their own shortcomings to triumph.

I guess that is one reason that I love Battlestar Galactica. It is a grand adventure story in which a group of men and women, faced with overwhelming odds, fight to protect the last remnant of humanity. A group of warriors battle to protect the innocent and helpless from an unfeeling, ruthless enemy. In many instances, the characters do not only have to overcome near impossible circumstances, but they must struggle inwardly to do what is noble and right. Time and again we’re shown heroes that choose to take the path that is more difficult because it is morally the right course to take. When I was young, I looked up to characters like Apollo, Adama. Starbuck, Boomer, and Sheba. They were heroes that were worthy of emulation.

I have many complaints about the new mini-series. But one of my chief complaints is that, from all I have learned, the characters appear to be devoid of the inner nobility that I’ve discussed. Rather than a group of men and women who work to overcome their external and internal problems to protect and preserve the greater good, we have a group of undisciplined thugs that are primarily self-centered, but who occasionally can work together when their won survival is on the line. There’s no grand sense of purpose, just a desperate attempt to avert disaster before returning to infighting and selfish pursuits. Not a role model in the bunch. At least, no positive ones.

If you want heroes, look to the original series. They’re the kind of heroes I’d like my son to be exposed to. The kind of heroes I still want to emulate. And, as Jewels rightfully pointed out, heroes come in all genders and ethnicities.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #5
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Nicely said Shatter
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #6
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Very nicely said shatter! I agree with the quote you
provided Jewels to have only ONE MINOR character who's
black at all ..............IF ELIOSHA the priest is indeed
"Black" ............and put one BLack guy as a "EXTRA"
warrior with NO LINES .....That's a slap in the face to
not only the fans but to the CHarectors of BSG who have
now turned into Drunks, and cylon SPIES. :o
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2003, 08:03 AM   #7
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Heroes vs. Reality

We all live in reality (well, most of us do!) and I realize that the big trend in tv these days is reality, but isn't the whole point of science fiction to escape reality and go where no man has gone before? (sorry for the Trek lingo).

As I have said before, if I wanted to watch a documentary about these BSG characters, I'd watch 60 minutes!!! Give me the heroes any day.

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #8
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Some thoughts on Role models

I don't think it was racism, at least concioussly. Tigh was already "taken", as it were. RDM wanted to "re-imagine", so they did. Same with Boomer. Both characters had won accolades in the original, now he wanted to acquire that for his new version, by using the names. Nothing was ever said about "race issues" in the Colonies. Did Tigh or Boomer's ancestors, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back, ever suffer indignities or persecution because of skin color, language, or whatever? We do not know, but it is I think a mistake to draw too many analogies from our own experience.
Personally, I never focused on Tigh or Boomer, or any of them, as Black. Their performances were what I was watching.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:51 AM   #9
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Some thoughts on Role models

Don't let me dominate the conversation, here.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote