Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Merchandise & Memorabilia
Notices

Old February 11th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #1
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Default Essential purchases for the BSG fans collection.

As this whole BSG thing is becoming a bit of a full time hobby for me, I'd like some input from the experts on what among the vast choice of BSG items vintage, modern and replicated represent real VFM or are 'essential purchases'?

I've already got some prop replica's: a couple of Helmets, blasters, a full cylon on the way from Krop, and some badges, pins, cubits etc for a display I'm planning.

What books, comics, novels, etc, are worth trying to find?
Is the 'Warriors manual' I keep seeing worth getting?
What about blueprints, kits, studio scale replicas etc?
Is it possible to get hold of a copy of the RH trailer anywhere?
Anything else just 'cool' or must have?
I'm even trying to locate vintage furniture and period items to eventually have a real BSG feel to a room.

I'd really like some more BSG to watch on dvd
Anyone know if G80 can be downloaded anywhere, as it looks unlikely they'll ever release it on DVD?
If they do I'll buy it anyway.
Any suggestions?

Centurion Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #2
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

OK, well the lack of answers makes me feel like I'm a little more obcessed than most.
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #3
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Personally, I'm a ship model person. The Revell/Monogram models were pretty good:
http://www.fxmodels.com/galactica.shtml

Some of the original Mattel toys:
http://www.bugeyedmonster.com/toys/battlestar/
http://www.actiontoys.com/Merchant/merchant.mv? (use search)

Misc stuff:
http://www.planetforce.com/bgalactica.html
http://www.finalfrontiertoys.com/ads/battlestar.htm
Original Muffit: http://www.megstoybox.com/pages/battle.htm

Recent releases (some links show the same stuff but the prices are different):
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/hi...star+Galactica
http://www.collectablekingdom.com/in...efa7fc18d46c9e
http://www.atamaii.com/battlestar-galactica.html
http://www.eplanettoys.com/Search.as...star+Galactica
http://www.toywiz.com/bagaacfise1b.html

Custom:
http://cloud.prohosting.com/ruelweb/...tlestar-01.htm

Books, Games, etc:
http://www.firedragon.com/~cfleets/store/books.html
http://www.firedragon.com/~cfleets/store/collect.html

I'm sure people will post information and links that can point you to other available TOS collectibles, comics, and toys.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #4
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

I agree with SCI-FI on the models. I've got all four of the original Monograms.

But if you're looking for more, Chris Larson sells resin models of different Galactica ships over on eBay. His models include the Galactica herself at a tiny 3", the Rising Star, The Cylon Tanker, the Colonial shuttle and my favorite, the Colonial Movers ship. His eBay user name is 25zz, so just use the Advanced Search to search by seller to find his wares. I've bought about 7 models off of him so far, and I'm planning on purchasing more.

The Blueprints are in my collection, and I consider them a 'must own.' I have several Starlog magazines with Galactica related stuff, and a old 1978 Science fiction magazine that has an article on a new series that will be out next year called Earthstar. The premise is human spacefaring civilization is nearly destroyed in a war with an alien race and sets out find the long lost planet of....(insert dramatic pause here)..... EARTH!!! Ity's obviously an early concept for Galactica, though the words 'battlestar' and 'Galactica' are nowhere to be found in the article.

The Realm Press and Maximum comics are pretty good, worth collecting, but I consider the original 25 issue run from Marbel comics to be key. Plus, Walt Simonson worked on the series, and he's since become one of the GODS of the comics medium. (Plus, he's a really unpretentious and nice guy in person. It's like he has no idea how much people are in awe of his work...)

I'm guessing the new action figures and ships coming out will be a 'must own' for Galactica, but the Gold Cylon Centurion is supposed to an exclusive throught Tower Records (www.tower.com/ ; don't bother, it's not there yet...)

My somewhat scattered thoughts,

G A
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #5
Bijou88

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Collecting depends on what you are into. I like new Battlestar Galactica adventures so I collect comics and books. It sounds like you like props and models. Go for it! As Sci-Fi was so kind to list above, there are many people that offer these types of items. As for "Galactica 1980", keep an eye out on The Sci Fi channel's schedule. They run the show from time to time. In fact, they ran it in the days leading up to the series premire of the Galactica reboot. I finally got a chance to see the show again for the first time since 1980! Good luck with your collection! Post pictures of your display. I would love to see the Colonial helmets.

Old February 13th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #6
David85
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian Draco
a full cylon on the way from Krop,

You got one of the cool halloween suits!!!

I so want one!

David85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #7
amberstar
Strike Leader

Collecting.......I have bought a few TOS BSG toys from E bay and also the trading cards........just wish more $$$ to get a warriors uniform.......
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #8
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default bg licensed merchandise

The toys, books and media products are my favorites, and you can see a lot of them at
http://www.lurexlounge.com/bsg/
This is David Moss's website. A lot of what he has included are pictures that I've sent him of my own collection.

Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #9
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

It sure does depend on what you are into. I love the uniforms, so I have a Warrior's uniform and a bridge officer uniform...

I also love the toys, so I am in the process of getting the new figures and ships that are coming out...

I also had that cold cast porcelain statue of the Galactica, but it got stolen!!! I am looking for another one to replace it...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #10
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default another discussion group

You might also want to try this group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BattlestarMerchandise/
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #11
Jayworld
Warrior

Thumbs up

Having a lot of Battlestar collectibles, i.e. comics, books, toys, autographs, etc., I'd concentrate on the following:

Try to start a BG autograph collection. You'll treasure this for years. You can get the autographs on 8x10s (color or black/white, your choice), and I've had fellow collectors get DVDs signed, trading cards signed, books, etc. Here's what I have (perhaps to help you plan):

In person:
Anne Lockhart, Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, Herb Jefferson, Jr., Jack Stauffer, Laurette Spang, Kent McCord

Through the mail:
Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, Terry Carter, John Colicos (who wrote back a nice, brief letter), Noah Hathaway, Maren Jensen (an address that is no longer valid), Patrick MacNee

I have 8x10s signed, as well as a few books (Richard Hatch's books, and the two Maximum Press comics he wrote, also).

Makes for a fun and interesting hobby. Also, you might want to see if you can locate a copy of the rare Battlestar Galactica Encyclopedia. They go for over $50 bucks on eBay, but I got mine 5-6 years ago at a Half Price Bookstore, and have had Richard, Anne, Jack, and Herb sign it for me thus far.

Thanks,
Jay
Jayworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #12
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

As far as "essential purchases", I don't have anything from the old days anymore.

I've got a personally autographed pic of Richard from a convention and I've been buying each of Richard's books as they came out. I've also been buying the reprints of the TOS novelizations (and re-reading them).

Soundtrack-wise, I guess that I got a bit crazy. I started off with the german re-release of the Stu Phillips soundtrack, but then I found the 4-disk Stu Phillips collection for BSG on eBay. I also bought the 25th Anniversary release and the Scottish Philarmonic (or something like that) version. After talking to Stu Phillips, I bought his biography - he told me that if I'm ever down in SoCal, to let him know and he would be happy to autograph it.

More recently, I bought the TOS DVD set, the BSG PS2 game (I even had to buy a PS2 to play it!). I've got the re-release models from Monogram (unbuilt) and I've been buying the Joyride display models as well - I'm just waiting on the Cylon Centurion to come in the mail.

I'm working on buying the Konami BSG miniatures when they come out next month. I also want to buy the statuettes and the 13-inch figures when those hit the shelves...

As far as eBay purchases - I recently bought a couple of scripts (I'm sure they're just copies) I bought the script for "Lost Planet of the Gods" and just this week, "Saga of a Star World".

Out of all that merchandise, it's 95 percent TOS-based, but that's where most of it is being marketed. as far as the SciFi/NBC version of Galactica, I have the soundtrack and the DVD for the miniseries.

It really is great that all this new merchandise is coming out - even though it's been over 25 years since the original series has gone off the air....

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #13
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I just pre-ordered the Series 2 Joyride figures including Apollo, Starbuck and the Gold Cylon! I can't wait!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #14
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Greetings Warriors.

Well, I return from deep space, and what do I find?
A whole squadron of replies!

I'm finding the temptation to just keep buying BSG stuff really overwhelming!!

Charybdis:
I've seen the new figures, but they didn't really make it to the UK, so if I want them, it means ordering them from the states!
I really like the uniforms and props!
Couldn't afford that 'real' cylon that guy is selling for $25,000.00
Have got a Viper Helmet (in progress), Blaster replica's (in progress) The Krop Cylon (being built by Scott as we speak) Plus a whole load of insignia and pips etc that I've just bought on ebay from Kattarra (sp?) you know, Kathy who sells all the BSG stuff. Anyway they should be with me soon!
Going to create a big display!!
WHat was the porcelain statue of the Galactica? I havent seen them?

Bryan:

I think the game is great!
I really like the way they 'up-dated' the Cylons while still keeping the 'flavour' of the originals! A damn good job!
I;ve been seriously thinking of getting the new miniatures when they hit the shelves (of ebay)!
They look sweet. I have the Base Star revell kit, to sit on a shelf near my cylon when he arrives.
13" figures?? They sound good
I've been looking at scrips on ebay, but I cant tell which are 'real' and which are just run up on peoples PCs?

Jay:

Whoa! You must have really worked it to manage to meet so many of the crew?
Thats amazing!
Who was the nicest in person??
I'd have loved to have met John Colicos.
My other half wants to get al the books (especially the Richard Hatch ones) So I won her a signed copy of Warhawk on ebay.
I'll be looking for the Battlestar Galactica Encyclopedia

Mary:

Great site!
I cant believe how much stuff was released in the states that didn't ever make it to the UK?
Its been a real eye opener looking on sites like that, and tawling the vintage stuff on ebay. I had a lot of the UK released stuff back in the day, but I'd have had soooo much more if I'd lived across the pond

Amberstar.
There's some good looking and very reasonably priced uniform makers around at the moment!
Have a look over at:http://p082.ezboard.com/fpropreplicasfrm36 there are loads of threads about uniforms etc.

David

As if I'd ever be brave enough to actually wear it outside?
I'd be too scared of it ending up looking like the originals did
I havent even finished paying for it yet, the plastic is taking the strain

Bijou:
Thanks I'll try and hassle someone with cable to tape it for me!
I'm going to post pics as soon as I get it all together, and displayed nicely!!
I still need to buy a mannequin for the centurian!
They are buggers to find cheap?
Unless you want an old 80s one in 'teapot' pose! Not really suitable for a cylon

Gunstar:

I love the models, But they are such hassle to dust!
I might get a raider as I saw one in a shop yesterday for £15 (new)
I'm thinking the bluprints will look good on the wall! Will have to look on the bay for some of those!!
I've actually never read any of the comics, are they really worth getting??
Are the stories well written and 'tied in'?

Sci-Fi

Oh wow!
I'm now seriously considering making some little display cases for some more models, thanks for the amazing links
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:49 AM   #15
Jayworld
Warrior

Thumbs up Nicest autograph guest in person

Draco:
Per your question, although I've met Richard Hatch, Herb Jefferson, Dirk Benedict, Jack Stauffer, and Anne Lockhart of the original cast (as well as tons of others from different shows), I'd have to say that Anne Lockhart was by far the nicest, hands down. That is not to say that the others aren't nice. Richard is very nice and accomodating, although I've seen him "down" at shows because of the show attendance, etc., and Dirk is very pleasant in person, but seemingly much friendlier through the mail.

In fact, when I first met Dirk at a show, I took the letter that he had written me (as well as the signed photo through the mail, so that I could thank him personally), and his reply, after reading his letter to me, was, "Gee, this sounds like I'm a pretty nice guy," whereupon he gave his "Starbuck" corner of the mouth smile....

Herb Jefferson is always nice, and likes to talk about things other than Battlestar, as well as funny anecdotes that happened while filming the show. Jack is very friendly, and as he describes himself, he "likes to yak about anything with the fans."
Jayworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:45 AM   #16
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld
Draco:
Per your question, although I've met Richard Hatch, Herb Jefferson, Dirk Benedict, Jack Stauffer, and Anne Lockhart of the original cast (as well as tons of others from different shows), I'd have to say that Anne Lockhart was by far the nicest, hands down. That is not to say that the others aren't nice. Richard is very nice and accomodating, although I've seen him "down" at shows because of the show attendance, etc., and Dirk is very pleasant in person, but seemingly much friendlier through the mail.

In fact, when I first met Dirk at a show, I took the letter that he had written me (as well as the signed photo through the mail, so that I could thank him personally), and his reply, after reading his letter to me, was, "Gee, this sounds like I'm a pretty nice guy," whereupon he gave his "Starbuck" corner of the mouth smile....

Herb Jefferson is always nice, and likes to talk about things other than Battlestar, as well as funny anecdotes that happened while filming the show. Jack is very friendly, and as he describes himself, he "likes to yak about anything with the fans."
I can be a difficult thing meeting famous people!
In fact I sometimes think it would be better for some celebrities NEVER to do interviews!
Luckily, it sounds like the BSG crew are good guys and gals?
It's sort of reassuring that Dirks sense of humour is 'real' and not just how his character was written!

I used to work in promotions and met a lot of musicians/pop artists. I found them a pretty mixed bunch.
Some were lovely, but some of the least famous or established were absolute primadonna's!

Strange one, I met Shigeru Miyamoto (Nintendo - Mario creator) and he seemed like a really nice guy.
My mrs wants to find out if any of the BSG crew are at any conventions in England this year, and she wants to go (after reading your post) so hopefully I might get to meet one of the Gods of Kobol! (she wants to meet Richard of course!)
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #17
spcglider
Squadron Leader

If you're into fan fiction, you might try to seek out the following:

Galactica Stuff; A Colonial's Guide To The Galaxy and The Race For Earth

Both from Clean Slate Press. Both long out of print.

-Gorodn
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #18
Galactifan
Warrior

The Intergalactic Trading Company has many classic Battlestar Galactica items available...
http://www.intergalactictrading.com/
Galactifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:23 AM   #19
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

If any of the shooting or early draft scripts(even photocopies) can be tracked down, they would be an interesting addition, as well as fun reading I'm sure.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote