Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Lightbulb Would you like Galactica animated?

If there was a Battlestar Revival, but it was animated instead of live action, would you be dissapointed? Or would you be excited about it?

I for one ould love to see an animated return. Computer graphics are fully capable of reviving our heros like how they were back then. Time has past. Our heros have aged. So even a live action versioin would look different anyways.

This was we could start an animated series the day after Hand of God, the last episode of the series.

We could possibly have all the original voices return. Or at least as many that are willing to contribute.

All the CGI is possible.

I would be happy to see an animated series. I think I would like it more than even a live action movie version with Adama, Athena and Baltar replaced.

What say you guys?

Galactica Animated?

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #2
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Tom -

You know how I love anime....! I would love a high quality anime-type BSG film (or series), just as long as it didn't mess with the concepts, visually or story-wise, to suit the OAV style of anime.

Just seeing something that looks like what we want and seeing familiar faces (anime-wise) along with the familiar voices would be rather exciting!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #3
braxiss
Major

never would have thought about an animated series, but i think it could work and i for one would jump at the chance to have the big g back.
Old November 9th, 2004, 12:37 AM   #4
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

YEAH I would go for that , no problem at all .

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 12:51 AM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
3D CGI animated as a continuation TV series would be fine.

But I still want a live action THEATRICAL MOVIE that continues osBG

Agreed to both!

Martok2112
Old November 9th, 2004, 12:54 AM   #6
repcisg
Bad Email Address

I could go for a CGI animation series, shoot, much of the new series is CGI. So why not take the next step and do the whole thing that way. The original pushed into new territory why not again?
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

I just had a really horrific and irreverent thought.

What if they got Shrek to guest star as a Hasari in an all CGI version of the classic?

(well....I thought it was funny )

Martok the Repeatedly Irreverent
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:35 AM   #8
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Shrek was already seen in "Enterprise" in the form of "Big SHow" as an Orion slaver
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:02 AM   #9
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

No.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:10 AM   #10
doc834
Bad Email Address

I'd say yes. Of course it probably wouldn't tie into the current series, would it?
doc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #11
repcisg
Bad Email Address

A CGI TOS series or movie could work, if done right. I remember the CGI Star Ship Troopers series. The CGI wasn't quite there but I could see the promise of CGI. It is now only a matter of time and Tech.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #12
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas7g
Computer graphics are fully capable of reviving our heros like how they were back then. Time has past. Our heros have aged. So even a live action versioin would look different anyways. This was we could start an animated series the day after Hand of God, the last episode of the series.

This would enable the Original show to segue to the present time period without having "mysterious references" to 25-, 26-, 27-year time span between the Original show and the present time period. Take the characters, in their 1970's era "look" and age them, to account for the passage in time, with the end result having them "look" as they do, today. If Larson were on board, with this, then the tales could be considered part of the TOS canon.

Interesting concept, Tom.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #13
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

"Created by...."

It's his baby. My mindset is this - we already have a perception conflict between TOS and TNS. (Just look at the last 3 words before the period ( '.' )). We always have to "qualify it". If he were on board, then it could be the "official" story and that way, if it does transition to a live-action movie, all the hard work won't go to waste. If he wasn't on board and a live-action movie was produced, it could re-write all that was done in an animated effort. I'm only thinking of a way to avoid wasted effort and to help tie everything together so that it's in tune with his original vision.

*shrugs - then, again, maybe it's not that big a deal and I'm being a worry-wart, for nothing.

Sleep now
They are calling

Old November 9th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #14
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by repcisg
A CGI TOS series or movie could work, if done right. I remember the CGI Star Ship Troopers series. The CGI wasn't quite there but I could see the promise of CGI. It is now only a matter of time and Tech.
Off topic:

"Roughnecks - Starship Troopers Chronicles", imho and I am an admitted fan, was superior to the movie. Although the character "Dizzy" was a man in the book and became a woman in both the movie and animated series, it worked out better and gave Rico a difficult emotional choice (Carmen or Dizzy) to make. If you follow each of the the campaign story arcs, you find an excellent chemistry between the characters, great stories, and a lot of good moments. Unfortunately, Sony decided that the animated series was too adult and was missing its intended target audience (young kids) and cancelled the show despite protests and write-in campaigns by fans. We are lucky that Sony finally released the series on DVD, although some (actually all) of the clip shows are missing from various DVD campaign arcs.

Foundation Imaging, and to some extent Flat Earth, did an excellent job on the CGI animation considering the time limitations and added pressure. The mistake of selling the series to syndication with only 5-6 episodes completed, not the 2 months worth of episodes needed for a daily M-F airing, really killed much of the momentum the series could have enjoyed. Sometimes they constantly repeated episodes or showed the episodes out of order (whenever new episodes were released).

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #15
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
But if DeSanto did the CGI series, then turned around and was on the movie production, I think it'd stay within the lines of continuity
Agreed. Based on the reports from Galacticon, he and Larson were, generally, on the same page so, it would be canon. I just want to make sure that we nail down Larson's involvement so that a "monkey wrench" can't come flying in, at some point down the road.

*shudders ooooooo *shudders
Sleep now
They are calling

Old November 9th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #16
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I think it would be a lot of fun.

That thing about Universal saying it's confusing: If I've understood what I was browsing in the DVD aisles, when X2 released there was an animated thing just about Wolverine that hit the shelves as it released. Granted, Tom & Bryan were loyal to the lore so that tie-ins would work, but I do remember thinking of how that was a great way to capitalize on X2 and possibly (not sure because I didn't view the DVD) bring in the younger audience too.

I think it could work to Universal's benefit to give some thought to diversifying on this much neglected property of theirs. Animation could do it easily and still be quality. The voices could be right, though I doubt anime could capture that spark that Dirk gave Starbuck or the more layered, subtle nuances that each cast member brought to their roles. Those can only be captured completely with a live action cast.

Marketing opportunities.....Anime would give you toys and mass-market trading cards, board games, comics, bedroom sets....if the anime were fairly close to the spirit of the old show.
Of course I have a little girl who's waaaaaayyy too young to watch the Spidey movies or even the animated TV shows , but she has a Spiderman umbrella we better not ever lose and loves to let you know when she sees Spidey (and any other character she knows) on any licensed products we might see.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #17
Winemaster
Shuttle Pilot

I would go for it but they would have to have adult scripts. I liked starship troopers animated for a kids show but I think it could have worked very well with mature themes
Winemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:11 PM   #18
Mustex
On Vacation...

Oh great, NOOOOWWWW I find this thread. In my opinion there's no question to Japanese should do it, although I'd probably prefer a more tradition 2-D approach, or else do it "Zoids" style (you do the characters 2-D in alot of anime, even if the ships and mechas are 3-D, this style involves doing just that, but then rendering the CGI into cell style, and putting a black line around it, it still looks great, but doesn't stick out as badly).
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #19
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

FINALLY! An idea to bridge the gap between TOS and a 20+ year later continuation (which I admittedly have a hard time wrapping my brain around).

I'd watch. And I think Anime would be the way to go (except for the always bushy hair and HUGE round eyes on the female characters). Someone would have to keep an eye on the animators tho. They LOVE to use lots of color on military craft. I guess that's where Larson and Desanto fit in.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #20
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

I think a Galactica cartoon would also look good in the style of the Batman/Superman/Justice League styles. The atmospheres created in those cartoons are moody enough...and I can only imagine how good the classic Galactica bridge would look in that style.

Or better yet, characters done in the beautiful style that our own Thomas7g did for Athena.

Martok2112
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #21
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I like the idea that some of the artistic talent, that we've been blessed with here, might have an opportunity to be showcased to a wider audience, if this idea ever took root and grew!

Gimli (puffing on a pipe): "Certainty of death, small chance for success......what are we waitin' for!!"

O O
Sleep now
They are calling

Old November 9th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #22
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
Or better yet, characters done in the beautiful style that our own Thomas7g did for Athena.
I second that motion. All in favor?
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #23
BRG
Warrior

Lightbulb

A brilliant idea!

If done well, an animated show would be an excellent way of continuing the original series from where it left off. And if you could get some of the orininal cast, plus suitable replacements for the sadly departed Greene & Colicos, I reckon it would be a sure fire winner!

I personally would prefer 2D, with some 3D models that fit into the show seamlessly.(I think I'm repeating Mustex ) They use this in Futurama and it looks cool!
And as a serious animated show, I say look at Batman. The animated Batman series was easily better than the films. The best Batman outside the comic books IMO!
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #24
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

warhammerdriver wrote:
Quote:
I second that motion. All in favor?
I support that motion AYE!!!
I would put Thomas in charge of the Art depatment.

But what would be quicker in producing a animated version All 3D or a split of the two styles, 3D and 2D. just wondering .

martok2112
Quote:
I like that idea alot a lot

Old November 10th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #25
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Not much new to add, but my 2¢...

• An animated series would not be my first choice, but given the dagger Skiffy has driven into our hearts, if it's the only way to bring back TOS at the moment, I'm all for it

• I would not want this to be a kiddie show. Animation is fine, but I want adult-oriented scripts, stories, and character explorations.

• As Warrior said, it would thrill me to no end of this thing came about, and were such a success that it served as a springboard to a live-action, big screen continuation. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think DeSanto is a genius. Prove the market for the movie through the success of the animated series and subsequent DVD sales.

• As for style, I would not want Japanime... it's just so silly. I'd prefer 3D to 2D to make it look less "cartoony," and give it a greater sense of gravitas.

• In any case, if we want this, we need to let NBC-Universal know, as that's where Tom is hanging his hat at this point, from all reports. Addresses are in the CFF Announcement thread in this forum, or can be found at www.colonialfanforce.org.
Old November 10th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #26
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Live actors are better. Can't wait to see Dirk smoking his cigar as Starbuck. We came so close. Richard as Commander Apollo isn't a bad thing either.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #27
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Just wanted to add a small point.

Star Trek's revival first began as a bunch of conventions and some books and.....a cartoon series.

Tag- My friend, are you refering to the larger eyes and sharp chin look, ala Aladdin and Pocahontas? Japanese anime is very wide ranged. If you are talking story and style it is a wide ranged as american live action filmmaking.

its just that americans tend to see animation as kid's stuff. So only the juvenile stuff makes it to american TV.

Old November 10th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #28
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

btw everyone please check out this post I made months ago on this topic.

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ead.php?t=6672

make sure you check the yellow link on my second post in the thread. You will love it! And imagine Vipers and Cylons instead of the robots and mecha. This is the current state of th art in Japan from a year ago. It features CGI masquerading as traditional hand drawn animation.

Old November 10th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #29
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

I would like to see both , a movie and a Animation version and having watched
the Starship Troopers series and enjoying every minute of it ,( and there is nothing kiddy about it at all).

And I also think that a Animation version of BSG keeping in with the old series
having the old, characters such as Richard and Dirk play their parts released
before a film could and generating more interest in the original show to a new and wider audience.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas7g
Computer graphics are fully capable of reviving our heros like how they were back then. Time has past. Our heros have aged. So even a live action versioin would look different anyways. This was we could start an animated series the day after Hand of God, the last episode of the series.
BST
Quote:
This would enable the Original show to segue to the present time period without having "mysterious references" to 25-, 26-, 27-year time span between the Original show and the present time period. Take the characters, in their 1970's era "look" and age them, to account for the passage in time, with the end result having them "look" as they do, today. If Larson were on board, with this, then the tales could be considered part of the TOS canon.
this is Just a thought
If there was to be a Animated BSG created as both Thomas and BST have suggested in a way, could fill the gap between the live series and the Film and that is something only a Animated show could do .

Old November 10th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #30
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

I posted this in another thread on this board related to animation....and perhaps an animated Galactica....so I'll repost it here.

I agree with Commander Taggart that the stories must be adult oriented, with action and character exploration. I think that is why I liked the Batman/Superman/Justice League cartoons, because to an extent, they were that. But Galactica cartoons could take it a step further. (Justice League had a three part episode that took the heroes back to World War II that was really adult oriented...even down to the language at one small point...which made my jaw drop.) A Galactica cartoon would not need to go to the language length, but it would do well to cater more to the adults.

(Anybody here remember the animation styles used in Heavy Metal the Movie back in 1980?) Now that would be an ideal animation style for Galactica as well, but it would be impractical on a weekly basis.

I would love to see 3D starships mixed in with 2D animation as well.

To the end of writing stories or providing voice work....I'd fall in for those jobs in a heartbeat as well if we, the fans, were able to take up such an endeavor. We have the talented people here....it would be a matter of time. We have 3D artists, 2D artists, writers, voice actors, special effects guys, sound engineers, musicians, etc. Hell, we have some of the makings of a Colonial Fleets Production Company. It would be far less costly than trying to make a fan-film where costumes have to be designed and made, some props might have to be built, etc.

If anyone else here wants to take on such a project, COUNT ME IN!

Respectfully,
Martok2112