Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old September 28th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #31
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Nothing they do in Hollywood surprises me anymore.

NOTHING.

LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #32
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default remakes

There have been numerous versions of Little Women, The Three Musketeers and Shakespeare plays, and probably close to a 1,000 versions of A Christmas Carol, including all those parodies on sitcoms. And since the 1940s, there have been a number of versions each of Batman and Superman. But this is what is different now, and this is what is so irritating:
1. These contemporary versions are remade to make them more "politically correct" when sometimes the point of the earlier versions is that they pointed out inequalities in life!
2. The new versions are being made because the old ones are "cheesy"--that is, the special effects and sets of the earlier shows used what was state-of-the-art-technology for their time and not 2005 computer technology. I think that calling a movie or TV series from the 1900s to the earlier 1990s "cheesy" simply because they weren't made with 21st century CGI is not only an insult to the original filmmakers and their fans but also shows a terrible lack of imagination on the part of the people doing the remakes.
Mary
P.S. Oh, and there's the quick moneymaking factor based on name recognition, but that topic's been discussed before.
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #33
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Im still waiting for them to finally make a movie version of the Rama books. In my mind I can see the ships, I can see the equipment. I would go see it if they made a movie, just to get something to hold onto, like I did with Dune (Both the movie and the mini series). It seems to me all the remakes so far have been an effort to take a classic family show and infuse it with sex, violence, and cheap comedy.

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:52 AM   #34
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmiloman
I wonder if anyone has the stones to remake the following:
I love Lucy
Bonanza
Gunsmoke
M*A*S*H
shhh, don't give them any ideas

Quote:
There have been numerous versions of Little Women, The Three Musketeers and Shakespeare plays, and probably close to a 1,000 versions of A Christmas Carol, including all those parodies on sitcoms. And since the 1940s, there have been a number of versions each of Batman and Superman. But this is what is different now, and this is what is so irritating:
1. These contemporary versions are remade to make them more "politically correct" when sometimes the point of the earlier versions is that they pointed out inequalities in life!
2. The new versions are being made because the old ones are "cheesy"--that is, the special effects and sets of the earlier shows used what was state-of-the-art-technology for their time and not 2005 computer technology. I think that calling a movie or TV series from the 1900s to the earlier 1990s "cheesy" simply because they weren't made with 21st century CGI is not only an insult to the original filmmakers and their fans but also shows a terrible lack of imagination on the part of the people doing the remakes.
well said Skipper. that's what I think too. that's also why somebody did Special Editions (twice) of his first big movie because he couldn't stand to see its 1977 special effects anymore.

And I liked Batman Begins. Thought it was very faithful to the books.

Remember kids: Say No to Remakes

Statler and Waldorf doing their biweekly reviews of new movies at www.movies.com constantly bash the idea of remakes.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 12:37 PM   #35
bsg1fan1975
Major

What's next, making a classic movie like Ben Hur into a comedy? These people need to get their heads out of the sand where they buried them and see what this is doing to the theater revenues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote