Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old January 21st, 2005, 06:48 AM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Seriously considering dismantling my Yahoo group for Dark Exodus...

(copied from the Dark Exodus Forums)

To appease the TOS traditionalists that prefer to trash the new Battlestar Galactica, rather than celebrate the original series, I had created (at the suggestion of one of my Yahoo group members) a casual Friday where such people can trash the new show at their leisure, and to their hearts' content.

And it is so amazing that in all the fervor of the desire to trash the new show, no one seems to have noticed that I had posted three new chapters to Reciprocity at the group.

In my not so humble opinion, they have been blinded by their own hatred for something else, that they cannot see the good that is trying to spring up before them....and it is their blindness I can have no pity for.

I am going to monitor my group for the next couple of days, and if the activity seems to bend more towards silence and inactivity until casual Friday, and no one even makes mention that "Hey, Martok, thanks for giving us more chapters for your story", then my fears will have come true. That http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BSGCon has devolved into nothing more than another trashfest for the new Battlestar Galactica. I am going to disband the group, should that be the case. (And I have every reason to believe that that is the case based on pending messages I have had there.)

I created BSG Continuation group to be a CELEBRATION of the original show, and to my own point of view, a CELEBRATION of one thing does not involve trashing of another (that is for sports, not science fiction television) And to appease those who wanted to do nothing but complain and trash the new Battlestar Galactica, I created that casual Friday felgercarb. I have a feeling that it will ultimately be the undoing of the group....and perhaps the sequel story itself. It is to THESE people that I would say: "You do not DESERVE a continuation movie with your attitudes. And you CERTAINLY don't DESERVE Reciprocity." Let me clarify, I do not say that to ALL the TOS Traditionalists...only to those who seem to have no desire other than to trash the new series to justify their own feelings of loss and defeat.

I do not mean to make my own stories sound overly importatnt, because they are not...they are just fanfictions. But they are stories that people have begged me to continue working on....and I have, for them. But those very people might end up losing out because of the attitudes of other people who prefer to be blinded by their own hatred for something like the new Battlestar Galactica, and don't even recognize "Ok, we're being given what we've asked for...more Reciprocity. Thanks, Martok."

Sometimes, I think I would rather have lost a few members because I didn't cave into their petty wants (bitching about the new show).

We shall see what happens folks. The future of Reciprocity lies in these peoples' hands. Maybe someone else can talk some sense into them.

Frustrated,
Martok2112
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:07 AM   #2
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Hell, let them have their fun on Friday's, but if it bleeds over to 12:01 Saturday morning, step on them three times as hard as you normally would.

or

abolish the casual friday idea, which is probably a better idea. You opened the site for fans of both shows and that's they way you should have kept it.

It would be a damned shame to lose BSGCon just because some people can't resist their nature for idiocy.
Just my take.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:14 AM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Well...bleeding over into Saturday morning 12:01 wouldn't quite be enough to make me wanna shut it down...but I do agree I would probably love stomping on them thrice and viciously for that....but I cannot because there is a possiblity that I might not be able to see some of their posts until after 12:01 AM Saturday.

My primary concern is that the activity on the site will dwindle to practically nothing (even with my "Special Groups Notice" posting of new chapters for Reciprocity), and that the only time activity will pick up is Friday morning 12:01 untill 11:59 PM that day....to do nothing but trash the new show.

I am seriously starting to lose my faith.

And you know...the ONLY reason that this all came about is because someone complained about my statement in the splash page that says: "This site has admirers of the new and equally legitimate Battlestar Galactica."

Still quite frustrated,
Martok2112
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM   #4
Archangel
Bad Email Address

To: The Still Quite Frustrated Martok2112

Well, if they didn't like the statement on the splash page, they didn't have to sign on. They could have taken their angst somewhere else. The new BSG is legitimate, if they can't see that, they have to grow up, and I don't think you started the place to act as a nursery.
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:24 AM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
To: The Still Quite Frustrated Martok2112

Well, if they didn't like the statement on the splash page, they didn't have to sign on. They could have taken their angst somewhere else. The new BSG is legitimate, if they can't see that, they have to grow up, and I don't think you started the place to act as a nursery.
d'accord!

Ya know...as much as those people hate the "reimagining" of the Battlestar Galactica, they sure are doing a damn good job of "reimagining" my group.
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Well, cut out the casual friday policy.

Let your site get back to normal...

whatever that is.
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:37 AM   #7
gmd3d
Major

I argree with Arch...Martok keep it open, close down casual Friday. and see what happens. it is hard when you have work herd on your work and not one of your fellows acknowledge it.

I have posted my Fanfic and not one single suggestion or idea has been given. if it good or if its a load of bull. and the only one to post anything is you martok.

I really have not touched the story because i have had no feed back...do I continue of just leave it and move into another field of fanfic writing.

Sorry about that just had to say it...

I hope this site does not lose its creative side, the fanfic and art is first what drew me here. and the Quality of the forum was and is great. since i joined some
of our friend have left because of all the bad mouthing of the new show, I do think that both can exist at the same time.

well that what i have to say. but stay with the story telling no point in all of us losing out.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 08:48 AM   #8
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Can't you just ban the folks that make your life frustrating? I don't know much about yahoo groups. But if you can join a group, usually there are tools to ban folks.

Rule of thumb about forums, unless you constantly exert force toward order, they tend to move toward chaos and disorder.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:09 AM   #9
bsg1fan1975
Major

yup. How well do I know that! Martok, even though I do not like the new show I would not be so stupid as to do what you are describing is going on at your site. I try to be respectful here or anywhere as you are when you come over to mine!

Got one thing to say about this and I hope this makes you smile.

Squash 'em like a bug!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:34 AM   #10
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

((((((((((((((((BSG1FAN))))))))))))))))))))))

Well...we shall see what happens this week.

Thanks for joining, hun.

Appreciatively,
Martok2112
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:31 AM   #11
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi friend Martok!! I feel so deeply for you and your plight. You try so hard to appease everybody, but all it takes is a few uncompassionate people to spoil the broth .

I have not yet read your current chapters on Dark Exodus, but only because it woul drive me CRAZY to read part of your wonderful writing, and then have to agonize over when my eyes will get to see the next chapter! THat's why I don't usually read trilogies and such unless the whole set is out -- waiting a year for this anxious daggit is like waiting for your wedding day!!

Don't let a few thoughtless folks ruin your dreams -- hold onto them like a baby in a storm. It may seem sometimes like even God wants to rip her from you, but more often it is simply a way to increase your fervor and devotion, by realizing how very dear that baby or dream is to you. Truly, we never really realize how much we love something till we lose it, or almost lose it. Remember that dear Martok. Your writing is incredible and in a way, if I might be so bold, you have a kind of obligation to share that talent with the world. Never forget that the most famous artists in history, whether of paint or of pen, died penniless and unknown. If only they could see today how well they are remembered... and treasured...

Taranis/Potemkin, please forgive my belatedness in reading your fanfic. There are several folks who have posted neat works, and sadly I have just been buried in work these last 4 months. But I promise I will both read and reply. Also, be prepared and look forward to some possible big changes at FLeets -- which will increase the exposure of everyone's talent here tenfold! Thomas and I are working on the plan right now, and it could be BIG!!

If any of you ever feel your work or talent goes unnoticed or unappreciated, please remember that this daggit spends each and every day with a family that, although I treasure them, they hate every expression of talent I try to attempt. We can let these words (or lack of words) shatter us, or we can just pretend it is that storm I mentioned, and clutch our infant talents to our breast till someday, somehow, the sun comes out again...

Affectionately,
Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:53 AM   #12
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Sorry all my friends and Martok for letting lose some fustrations. This is your patch Martok. Put I plead with you and as a fellow fan fic writer, don't shut down.
where am I going to get more free lessions

Muffit thank you for your words and I sometime forget that other people have their work own on show, the fleets in still been moved and people have being working hard on that move. like yourself and tom

Quote:
THat's why I don't usually read trilogies and such unless the whole set is out
like myself, I wait untill i can get the lot, I would hate to see martoks work slow down and stop.

I don't feel unnoticed or unappreciated, the responce to my Galactica art is great with super advice. having said that, A fanfic (and i have only started) you but more of yourself into it . like all writers I suppose???. I you need the feed back good or bad.

Old January 21st, 2005, 01:15 PM   #13
julix
Bad Email Address

Taranis...I didn't know you had a fanfic and in fact i tried looking for it and still didn't find it..............I am way behind on my reading as well, I agree when we write we put ourselves into it and do want feedback.......I will try to get to as soon as possible.

Martok....not really sure how to help, looks like you got great advice though
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:45 PM   #14
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Muffit,

Thank you for your comforting words and sage wisdom. I realize that I said I would buck up and bear it...and for the most part, I still am....but it seems that I have given an inch, and such people have taken a mile.

Bsg1fan recently joined the site, and proved her levelheadedness with her opening statement....something for which I am eternally grateful.

I hate the idea of squelching someone's views....to me that goes against everything I believe in about free speech....but when it totally perverts the ideals I try to bring across in the Yahoo group...there is a part of me that cannot help that SOME such people are no better than they view a certain RDM.

I freely opened up the casual Fridays thing, to give people their venting day, but I did not realize that it was going to turn into the royal trashfest that it did.

And Muffit, did I read you correctly? Your family hates your creative efforts? That I find hard to believe. They have a crown jewel in their midst, and they cannot abide your creativity?! Methinks a swift kick in the booty be called for.

Julix, Taranis, Gemini, Thom, Archangel and everyone, thanks for your words of support. I will simply have to see what transpires this week.

Respectfully to all,
Martok2112
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:39 PM   #15
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Quote:
Taranis...I didn't know you had a fanfic and in fact i tried looking for it and still didn't find it..............I am way behind on my reading as well, I agree when we write we put ourselves into it and do want feedback.......I will try to get to as soon as possible.

Thanks Julix...It in the Colonial Library and is called The Lost Odyssey and while I am writing it I am looking for help in some background stuff.
If I can get anywhere near Martok I'll be a very happy fella

Old January 21st, 2005, 03:12 PM   #16
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thumbs up

The spirit in your story telling is there, Taranis. You have a wonderful narrative, and I think you ROCK! And that is straight from the heart of this writer.

Keep up the great work!

Respectfully,
Martok2112