Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #61
Aphrodite
Socialator

Default Re: Costuming and Props Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
Oooh...ouch. I'd say the women got the short end of the stick then! Should we even put those in the costume section? Might be a fun game to play but I wouldn't wear that get up on a dare!
I have to agree with that. I mean, yeah, we got to see some beefcake, but those outfits did need to be improved.

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #62
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
It was called a Triad uniform, that's what was done for the women lol
Oh yeah!!!(Oh Behave Sarika!!)

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #63
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'm all over reproducing that silver volleyball! Easiest prop ever!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #64
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

I did a bit of Google searching for uniform patterns and found a few sites that may be of interest:

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.c...galactica.html

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.c...a-uniform.html

As for the pressure suits I think a body suit like the one worn by Maribel VerdĂș in the following pic may work:

http://www.cine5x.com/fotos/maribel_verdu_12.jpg

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's a lycra bodysuit and may be something available off-the-rack somewhere.

A site with decent pics of costumes:

http://www.ketzer.com/original_movie_props/index.html

A site selling costume gear ('spensive!):

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/cata...oducts_id/9667
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #65
monolith21
Squadron Leader

GREAT resources!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #66
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kester Pelagius View Post
I did a bit of Google searching for uniform patterns and found a few sites that may be of interest:

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.c...galactica.html

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.c...a-uniform.html

As for the pressure suits I think a body suit like the one worn by Maribel VerdĂș in the following pic may work:

http://www.cine5x.com/fotos/maribel_verdu_12.jpg

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's a lycra bodysuit and may be something available off-the-rack somewhere.

A site with decent pics of costumes:

http://www.ketzer.com/original_movie_props/index.html

A site selling costume gear ('spensive!):

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/cata...oducts_id/9667
Hey! You Googled my site! The Costumes and Artwork blog is me... ...and all the stuff I learn about these costumes is going to be shared with the group, you can be sure.
Mieal Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #67
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieal Deneb View Post
Hey! You Googled my site! The Costumes and Artwork blog is me... ...and all the stuff I learn about these costumes is going to be shared with the group, you can be sure.
We try to recognize excellence when we see it, and that site was worth sharing. Very interesting.

Old March 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #68
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Quote:
We try to recognize excellence when we see it, and that site was worth sharing. Very interesting.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #69
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
this is the best shot I have out of my random screen cap folder,

Looking at this shot, there does seem to be some extra material where the top pocket is on the medical tunic, but I don't see the "top" of the pocket.
I think I can see what looks like the bottom of a pocket in that picture. Lighting might have "washed out" the top of the pocket...?
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #70
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Side note...

I was watching "Murder on the rising star" last night and I couldn't help but notice how wide the quilting was on Sheba's tunic! Considerably wider than the male tunics and Athena's warrior uniform. Either that or she's just super tiny!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #71
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

monolith21,

It's been awhile since I've watched the series all the way through but I think you may be right. IIRC the costumes from the beginning of the series seem to have ever so slight differences from those seen near the tail end. I'm not sure if that's due to a change in costume designers or if it's because there was no "bible" for how the uniforms were supposed to look. Sort of like how in Star Trek the uniforms, originally (first pilot), seemed to have braiding for purely decorative purposes but eventually developed into a set pattern associated with ranks.

Of course I could be wrong.
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #72
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I've heard they changed material toward the end of the season as well but I'm not sure if there is any credence to that.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #73
Athene
Galactica's Princess

EXCELLENT.
I've got lots of photos of costumes that I've saved on my computer.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #74
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
I've heard they changed material toward the end of the season as well but I'm not sure if there is any credence to that.
Interesting.
I'm going to take a look at that.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #75
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Quote:
monolith21,

It's been awhile since I've watched the series all the way through but I think you may be right. IIRC the costumes from the beginning of the series seem to have ever so slight differences from those seen near the tail end. I'm not sure if that's due to a change in costume designers or if it's because there was no "bible" for how the uniforms were supposed to look. Sort of like how in Star Trek the uniforms, originally (first pilot), seemed to have braiding for purely decorative purposes but eventually developed into a set pattern associated with ranks.

Of course I could be wrong.
It's probably because there was no set way of making the costumes. I notice a lot of variation in the "uniforms" seen in (original trilogy) Star Wars too. I think it was pretty common just to not care about continuity that much because they didn't think people would be studying the costumes to recreate them 30 years later for the creation of a costuming "re-enactors" group.
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #76
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
It's probably because there was no set way of making the costumes. I notice a lot of variation in the "uniforms" seen in (original trilogy) Star Wars too. I think it was pretty common just to not care about continuity that much because they didn't think people would be studying the costumes to recreate them 30 years later for the creation of a costuming "re-enactors" group.
You know what this thread just made me realize?

I've no idea what the rank hierarchy of Colonial Warriors is!

Colonel Tight is below Commander Adama, who seems to be acting as an admiral, but then again that also seems to be what Commander Cain was. Or are they the equivalent of a Fleet (Commodore) Commander?

BSG had lots of Lieutenants and a few Captains, most of whom seem to be fighter jocks, but what rank was Athene? She wasn't a warrior as I seem to recall she was in training with the female shuttle pilots, wasn't she? At any rate I don't recall her ever carrying a sidearm. Yet, IIRC, she wasn't a cadet like all the other women. Or was she?

I know I just saw her in a flight/pressure suit in the pilot so my memory may be playing tricks on me. Or maybe it's just I always assumed all warriors were pilots yet somehow put Athene into some mystical 'other' category. I know she wore blue, and not many did, but does that designate command rank or that she part of a separate corps? Speaking of which wasn't Tigh the only Colonel in the series? And what rank was the woman working the com board in the pilot?

A guy could get a headache!
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #77
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
You know what this thread just made me realize?

I've no idea what the rank hierarchy of Colonial Warriors is!

Colonel Tight is below Commander Adama, who seems to be acting as an admiral, but then again...
I'll warn 'ya right now- DO NOT try to figure out a logical ranking system for the BSG characters, especially as it relates to the insiginia or decorations on the uniforms. It will only dissapoint you and yes, induce headaches. Tech details were not one of the strong points of BSG TOS- leave that to Trek. Design and style were the strong points- Don't think about it too deeply and you'll be happier!

-M
Bradleyfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #78
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

The Rank STructure was very simple, and Kronus, Monolith and have actually discussed This.

If you take the Deleted scenes found no the DVD as canon (which I do to an extent) Commander Adama was also the Commander in Chief of the Colonial Military. (I believe it was adar who mentioned this title)

So, you have Commander being the Highest Rank in the Military, among equals (among all the Commanders in service, Date of reaching this rank would determine who was in charge. In the case of Adama, his Political position (CIC) would have him outrank even more senior COmmanders. (such as Kronus had he not been retired)

Next you have Colonel. Tigh was the only one besides Tolen (Pegasus officer) who currently held this rank. Croft in GOIPZ was referred to as Commander in the shown Version, but was referred to as Colonel in the deleted scenes. I take the title "COmmander" to not be his rank, but position, as leader of the Station he lead the raid from before being put in jail. (same way ni the US navy, You can hold the Rank of Commander, but by tradition, if you command a ship, you are called Captain)

Below Colonel you have Captain, Apollo and Bojay were the only seen Captains in the show (yes, Bojay outranked Sheba, but Sheba was seen giving Bojay a direct order, go figure lol)

The majority of the officers are Lts. From Starbuck and boomer to Giles.

Below Lt, you had Ensign. Greenbean was an Ensign.

Then you had Jolly, who held 2 ranks in the series. The first one, in LPOTGs was Flight Sgt. (andf I believe there were other Sgts.

Then you had Corporal, Jeff Maccay's Character was a Corporal (computer Tech)

then you have Cadets.

Athena was never truely referred to by rank, but most people believe she held the rank of Ensign (I believe) from the very start she was a Warrior, just not a Viper pilot. She was a Military Shuttle Pilot.

She wore both the battle suit and the Blue Bridge uniform in the pilot I beleieve and carried a laser in LPOTGs

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #79
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

A lot of the reason why Adama acts more like an admiral was because he was pretty much the only Battlestar Commander left after the Cylon massacre. Athene is a Warrior...in the Lost Planet of the Gods, Serina says to Apollo "But your sister is a Warrior..." or something along those lines. Not sure rank. But like BradleyFett said, don't try to figure it out!
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #80
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

See, this is why we have people like Reaper to figure things out!
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #81
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyfett View Post
I'll warn 'ya right now- DO NOT try to figure out a logical ranking system for the BSG characters, especially as it relates to the insiginia or decorations on the uniforms. It will only dissapoint you and yes, induce headaches. Tech details were not one of the strong points of BSG TOS- leave that to Trek. Design and style were the strong points- Don't think about it too deeply and you'll be happier!

-M
BSG did have atmosphere that's for sure. Great tracking shots, lighting, awesome guest stars, and movie quality VFX that had never been seen on TV before it aired. So I suppose we can forgive it the minor minutia of vagueness about rank structure, after all the Colonies were just obliterated. Perhaps Larson figured that plotting out a stratified hierarchical structure would be banal.
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #82
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Reaper,

To further confuse matters the novel makes mention of admirals, then again it also has a line about Cylon fighters hiding in clouds.

And I wont even ask about the retconned series Baltar.

In the novels it was plainly stated Baltar was just a sleazy merchant trader with no real political standing. Colicos really breathed new life into the character, but there were changes made to the character to keep Colicos in the role.

Mieal,

While you're right about that I just recently watched the first two parts of the pilot for the first time in ages. Adama is most definitely wearing many hats from member of the Qurom to Commander of Galactica &tc. It also seems like the only person that really ranks him, prior to the cyclon attack, is President Adar. And let's not forget Serena's reaction to him planetside, he's possibly not merely the highest ranking surviving officer the Colonials have. At leat that's my take on it.

But does that come from his military status or his status as a surviving member of the Qurom? It was never really clear what his position on the Qurom was.
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #83
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Man...in trying to set an organization can be quite confusing. I'm trying to work all of that out right now for the group and it has literally taken me twice as long to work all of this stuff out than it has to write the rest of the charter.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #84
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Man...in trying to set an organization can be quite confusing. I'm trying to work all of that out right now for the group and it has literally taken me twice as long to work all of this stuff out than it has to write the rest of the charter.
Well as KP has pointed out, we can only get this as close to cannon as possible and still have it work "structurally" sound. So we will obviously have to fill in some of the blanks that may seem to be within the osBSG universe.

Now Monolith, don't try and tackle this all on yourself...this is too early in the game for you to go and get all burnt out! You will need to share the load and task me, reaper and Rachel with something’s so you don't carry the entire load...since this is all a rough draft to begin with. We can "hammer" out the finished product as we go once we have everyone's inputs from the tasks that need to be done.
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #85
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Monolith21,

Are you organizing this similar to what you layed out in post #23, or are you going for something more 'in-universe'?

Mark
Bradleyfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #86
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Hey Monolith...chime in if you want to expaned more...or if I miss something
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bradleyfett,

In post #23 Monolith is giving us an idea on how to organize one of our boards to "hash" out ideas for the Costuming Group we are forming.

And as for the in-universe...osBSG all the way.
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #87
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Like Kronos said, we're all willing to help share the load...though I'm not sure how great I'd be at setting up a ranking system. I've never been all that great at understanding the different ranks of anything!
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #88
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Like Kronos said, we're all willing to help share the load...though I'm not sure how great I'd be at setting up a ranking system. I've never been all that great at understanding the different ranks of anything!
I hear you...I sent you a PM...
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #89
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Got it, thanks.
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #90
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

And don't forget there seems to be a line between those who are and aren't Warriors.

From what little I recall it seem like the hierarchy might go something like this:

Cadet, Trainee
Cadet, Pilot
Warrior

With the Warriors having the confusion of ranks.

Yeah, I know, that was no help at all.