Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old May 10th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #1
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Battlestar Galactica 1978 BG-08: The Living Legend

The legendary Commander Cain of the battlestar Pegasus meets up with the Colonial survivors and ignites a new campaign against the Cylons at Gamoray. But Adama finds Cain's warmonging ways to threaten the fleet's very existence, despite to renewed morale among the Colonials.

Series stars; Richard Hatch as Apollo, Dirk Benedict as Starbuck, Herb Jefferson Jr. as Boomer, Lorne Greene as Adama, Terry Carter as Colonel Tigh, Maren Jensen as Athena, Tony Swartz as Jolly, Laurette Spang as Cassiopia, Noah Hathaway as Boxey, Sarah Rush as Rigel, David Greenan as Omega, and John Colicos as Baltar.

Guest stars include Lloyd Bridges as Commander Cain, Anne Lockhart as Sheba, Jack Stauffer as Bojay, Rod Haase as Tolan, and Junero Jennings as the Pegasus Bridge Officer.

(Thanks to Michael Faries Battlestar Galactica.com)

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH

Last edited by Flamingo Girl; May 10th, 2003 at 05:14 PM..
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:11 AM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Thumbs up

This is perhaps the greatest episode of the series. Cain is a leader who will take chances. He like Patton is also broken but latter reinstated. Cain doesn't like to run and will tackle his enemies head on. Baltar seems like he is going to have a nervous breakdown throughout the episode.

Centurion: Sir if I may.

Baltar: Not now I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar.

Centurion: I really think you should see the other battlestar.

Baltar:What are you babbling about a ................

The look on Baltar's face says it all.

Another nice edition was the Sheba character who gives Apollo a run for his money. Sheba is bold and brash like her Father. She is also the first strong female character on a science fiction show. Too bad they were looking to kill her off in the second season. That would have been the worst decision made.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Cain's quotes:

Adama's Quarters

Cain: Fuel tankers? What are you talking about Adama? I have had them on their knees with one Battlestar with two I can finish them.

Adama: In case you haven't noticed I have 220 ships which make perfect targets for Cylon gunners.

Cain:We can finish them on Gamorray.

Adama: A military victory is out of the question.
==============================================

Galactica War Room.

Cain:We must take that base.

Adama: That is one opinion Commander however it isn't mine. Colonel Tigh proceed with the fuel dispersement.

Cain: I can't allow you to do that. I think surviving two Yahren out here without you gives me the right to decide the destiny of the Pegasus.

Adama: Like you decided the fate of two Cylon tankers? Commander you are relieved of command.
Old August 13th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #4
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

This was one of my favorite episodes ever.
Cain reminded me of Douglas Macarthur and Adama
reminded me of Harry Truman when he was forced
to Fire Macarthur ......because as Truman said there
can only be ONE commander and chief

{and it wasn't Macarthur.}

I think the friction between Adama and Cain really added to
the story line.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2003, 04:33 PM   #5
Reaper63
Shuttle Pilot

Cai was a great character, single minded enough to climb into a Viper to make sure the Raid on the Tankers didn't work.He felt so strong about attacking the main base, that he risked everything.

Again another show that delivered time and again the Action I liked seeing as a kid.

And seeing Apollo and Starbuck strap on the second Lasers for the Raid was great!
Reaper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2003, 05:05 PM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Welcome Reaper.
Old August 27th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #7
Reaper63
Shuttle Pilot

Thanls Kingfish, I really should have been here sooner, but you know about real life, lol.
Reaper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #8
amberstar
Strike Leader

Thumbs up

This is one of my favorite episodes!
Instead of always being the prey, the Galatica is on the attack! Teamed up with Cain, one of the best rolls in Galatica saga. I think this was a tuning point in the serries. With additonal cast it gave the show more directions to go in. Left us hanging about the fate of Cain!
You can feel the morale of both crews and it captures the viewer making them feel apart of the show. Very well written and excuted lines by the actors.

Amberstar
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 09:40 PM   #9
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Yes it was nice to see the Galactica on the attack.

I still say the relationship between CAIN and ADAMA was
like Douglas MacArthur and Harry S. Truman
Old September 1st, 2003, 07:07 AM   #10
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default George S Patton

Cain was modeled after the famous WWII General. Cain is relieved of command but never fired. This is similar to what happened to Patton during WWII.
Old September 8th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #11
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

It sure is Kingfish ............but I still identify more with the
Douglas MacArthur persona then General Patton although
I do know you're right.
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #12
Rickyrod70

Default Cain

This episode was the saving grace of the series. It has the best story and best performances of the shows entire run.
Old October 15th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #13
droopy

Default Cain

Probably the million dollar question, Did the pegasus survive??
Old October 15th, 2003, 07:00 AM   #14
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Re: Cain

Quote:
Originally posted by droopy
Probably the million dollar question, Did the pegasus survive??

That is a million dollar question which can't be answered. There was a season 2 storyline in which the ship returns to the Colonal Fleet but inhabited by Cylon replicants of all things(Cain and crew are androids). Also in the season 2 story Sheba is killed at the opening.
Old October 15th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #15
droopy

that sounds rather crappy.
Old October 17th, 2003, 06:07 AM   #16
CaptainApollo
On Vacation...

Default Re: Re: Cain

Hello folkes,

I forget where I read this,
but I believe originally the Battlestar Pegasus charged headlong into three Cylon Basestars,
took out some, but before the Pegasus could finish the last one off,

KA-BOOM

a-la the Battlestar Atlantia,

But, wouldn't you know it eh,
the censors hated the Pegasus kamakazie ending,
so they took it out,

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
That is a million dollar question which can't be answered. There was a season 2 storyline in which the ship returns to the Colonal Fleet but inhabited by Cylon replicants of all things(Cain and crew are androids). Also in the season 2 story Sheba is killed at the opening.

Take care,
CaptainApollo
CaptainApollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 03:18 PM   #17
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Re: Re: Cain

The conflict between Adama, the protector and Cain, the warrior, is among the best in science fiction. A must see.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #18
MMaola
Shuttle Pilot

"The Living Legend" was one of my favorite episodes of BSG (I'm counting Parts I & II as a single episode here). It worked well on any level you care to mention. The Pegasus emerging like a ghost from the past and BOTH crews believing THEY were the only survivors. A military commander who is a tactical wizard and almost a demigod to his people going head to head with Adama -- obviously an old comrade-in-arms who now finds himself at odds with Cain. Sheba -- a viper pilot who can give as good as she gets and can outfly Apollo and Starbuck put together and yet is still sensitive and capable of great emotion and compassion. And, of course, the action. Who can forget the last scenes with Apollo and Starbuck flying interference between two Cylon base stars and the Pegasus plowing through the gauntlet, only to be lost from sight when the Cylons vaporize in a flash of radiant energy?

But more than that, the episode gave us memorable characters played by memorable and marvellous actors: Lloyd Bridges as Cain and Anne Lockhart as Sheba. I really think the casting of those two roles was perfect!

Now THAT was sci-fi and drama. That was Battlestar: Galactica at its best!

Old November 5th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #19
Doctor Salik
Shuttle Pilot

Default Voice of Cain

This is maybe the best episode. And actually this is one of the rare times when German dubbing works in favor of a show. Bridges' German voice adds a lot to his character. This is the one and only episode I do not watch in the original language.
Old November 8th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #20
chez1701
Shuttle Pilot

Would of been nice to have a 2nd season & seeing the Pegasus returning!!

" It dosen't matter how or why, as of this moment WE ARE AT WAR!"
chez1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2003, 07:05 AM   #21
Doctor Salik
Shuttle Pilot

I second that! I love seeing Adama and Cain argue over how to fight the Cylons.
Old November 10th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #22
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

To me this was the quintessential BSG, everything it could be at last wrapped up into these 2 episodes. Also, I feel it was a turning point in the series and the eps after this were of better quality in general. John Colicos turns in a dynamite performance along with Lloyd Bridges.

It also broached a topic I had often wondered about and set it to rest for me. In all the other eps, Adama and the military are the rational saving grace of the fleet while the civilian council is ever duped into near destruction. But in this ep, Adama clearly draws the line between military control and conscientious safeguarding of the fleet. To me, when Adama pulls the ropes in on Cain in a decidedly non-military direction, he demonstrates that his command decisions both now and in the past have only been the minimum force required to protect the fleet. This yields a nice balance to the show in the end.

Favorite line:
Baltar: "It's impossible!"
Cylon: "No, it's a battlestar"

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 04:33 PM   #23
silverspar

Best episode ever, recorded that episode on vcr as a kid and watched it til i just about ruined the tape. as a few said it was great to see the Galactica on the attack with the Pegasus, instead of bein the crippled babysitter for the fleet. Every episode after that, i was waiting for another lost battlestar to pop up, but never happened.

just to be different, my quote:

adama: by the lords of cobal, its a miracle
cain: i make my own miracles, but ill let you have it your way.
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #24
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Reaper Thanks for giving us that Pointer. I think it's a
great one.
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #25
KJ
Strike Leader

According to BattlestarZone.com On Susan Paxton's site, in season two another Battlestar was rumored to show up. The "Battlestar Prometheus"! whether or not it was idle rumor or heresay? I'm surprised no ones followed this up to see if its true or not.

Another Colonial warship besides the Galactica and Pegasus would have been very interesting being, with the 12 colony worlds of the colonials had "Intersellar travel" starships. Not every vessel that the colonials had; could have been at the holocaust. it would have been very believable that the "Rag Tag fleet" met up with many explorers from their own galaxy; despite how far they when into the, wilderness depths of space.

I wonder if, like the BG Season 2 'outlined' plots there was a story where the colonials met up with another Battlestar besides Cain's and what possible said story, was about?

Living Legend, is one of the top three Battlestar Galactica episodes of the series run in my opinion!

KJ

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #26
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Well Lord KingJason since there was no season 2 there was
no way to follow this up unless someone could have talked
to Desanto or Larson. However ....... it would have been
nice. I for one was very, very angry when they took BSG
off the air. Especially since it was still in the top twenty
rated programs on TV and less POPULAR shows were being
KEPT.

I think BSG should have been allowed to continue on it's own
merits instead of being killed due to the almighty POCKET BOOK.
Old January 25th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #27
KJ
Strike Leader

True, a second season might have had another Battlestar Commander who was as equally famous or as interesting that Commander Cain's character was.

ABC killed something that had a international fanbase that was very strong even in 1979 going on into the 1980's. Even after the G80 mis-fire. It's even more of a bitter pill to swallow that a reimagining of all things scewed up a decent follow up continuation series many of us have asked for, years later.

very sad indeed.

KJ
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #28
WARDAGGIT73

Default * to 4****

A superb episode matched only in it's action sequences by 'Hand of God' and 'Saga of a Star World 1,2&3...
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:51 PM   #29
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
True, a second season might have had another Battlestar Commander who was as equally famous or as interesting that Commander Cain's character was.

ABC killed something that had a international fanbase that was very strong even in 1979 going on into the 1980's. Even after the G80 mis-fire. It's even more of a bitter pill to swallow that a reimagining of all things scewed up a decent follow up continuation series many of us have asked for, years later.

very sad indeed.

KJ
Yes Universal did do that. However all is not lost. We still have
Richard Hatch working his ASSETTS off in order to keep BSG alive.
We still have this forum and others like it ......so all isn't lost.
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:28 PM   #30
Antelope

In my opinion this was the best of all the Battlestar episodes. It is also a remake into the Galactica mythos of two of the more popular movies that preceeded it in the 1970s. Obviously Commander Caine was modeled after World War II General Patton as portrayed in the Academy award winning movie by George C. Scott a few years earlier. In addition the battle sequences loosely reflect the real battles of Coral Sea and Midway as portrayed in the movie Midway that also came out a few years earlier. The Galactica having the role of the Lexington and the Pegasus, the role of the Hornet. The suicidal attack of the Pegasus at the end was a good way to keep us wondering for the future while at the same time saving the producers the cost of the actors from the Pegasus if they kept it around.

In some prequel material I read the believed loss of the Pegasus and the fleet with it at the Battle of Molachy a couple yahrn prior to "Saga of A Star World" created a feeling of pending defeat in the colonial population and created the mindset where the colonials would accept an armistice with the cylons after nearly 1,000 yahrn of war.

The one thing I would question is why Commander Caine himself would have any illusions about defeating the cylon empire. His own fleet was destroyed. The colonials had been losing ground for nearly a thousand yahrn. When he met the Galactica he found the remnants of a defeated people on the edge of survival. He himself was unable to make contact with the colonial military for two years even before the home fleet was destroyed in "Saga of a Star World". From what we know of the situation even if Caine had 10 Battlestars there is no hope of destroying the cylon empire. If I could improve anything I would have make the battle out of forced neccesity not choice on the part of Commander Caine.