Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Colonial Library
Notices
Colonial Library Grab a glass of ambrosa and wrap yourself around stories, written by residents of our little corner of the universe!

Old September 10th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Stargate Familiarity – the Essence of BSG

What other emotion in life makes us feel more like home? Familiarity quiets the spirit and relaxes the soul. It satisfies that dogged human drive to wander by feeling we have reached our goal.

I would like to share a short story with you. I was in the middle of 2nd grade, and we had just moved from a mostly rural area to a more suburban one. Funny thing was, I was pretty much the same distance from school, just that I was now on the opposite side of it. My school was at the top of a hill and from that vantage point you could almost see both houses. My mom dropped off my younger brother and I in the morning, since it was our first school day in our new home and we didn’t really know the way yet. She offered to pick us up when school was out, but I countered that we could walk home easily, since I could practically see our new home. We debated a bit and I won out.

Well, school ended and we started home. But somehow or other I got my wires crossed and missed our street (anyone who has ever driven with me to Frisco can vouch for my total and complete lack of direction). The name /sounded/ so familiar I thought for sure that was it. My younger brother and I got sidetracked singing songs and we walked for probably an hour before we realized we were lost. You too must have felt that panic at least once in your life when everything around you is foreign and you have no idea where you are. Luckily, my frantic and worried mom found us anyway, miles from home, and on completely the wrong street. You see, what sounded familiar wasn’t home.

I have that feeling with the new incarnation of BSG. It sounds familiar but the closer I get the more unfamiliar it becomes. I want so much to get that feeling you have when you are surrounded by familiarity, that special satisfaction and peace inside. But instead I feel lost and seven years old again. The sign reads “BSG”, but the surroundings are as unfamiliar as a strange town.

And one question looms over me as I wander, confused and lost. When will someone come and find me, and take me to my familiar BSG home?

How could I miss anything more…

Affectionately and respectfully,
Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #2
The Blue Mule
Warrior

"You too must have felt that panic at least once in your life when everything around you is foreign and you have no idea where you are."-Muffit

Funny thing is for me, living in Dublin Ireland for several months, and Tokyo Japan for 2 and a half years I never felt lost or panic, in fact always felt right at home. However when I came back I was culture shocked from all the indifference and callousness of Americans that didn’t care about my travels. 9-11 i thought would bring americans closer as a people,but to be honst in my neck of teh wood,it has seperated us even more.
Now I have that panic (No Job, No Career, No Friends) and not even my family or the things that gave me warmth or security can make me feel better.

I wouldn't wish this lost feeling on anyone not even my enimes.

A terrible feeling not knowing where you are going,or the simple fact that friends just dont care that you've fallen through the cracks.

Too Depressing.

Rich
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:22 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Mule
A terrible feeling not knowing where you are going,or the simple fact that friends just dont care that you've fallen through the cracks.
Rich
Hi Rich

Remember, though you cannot see us, we are your friends and care very much about you. My wish for you is that time in the soon and now be kind to you, and that something good comes your way. I too have had some bitter news recently, and can only hope life will turn full circle. With hope and faith, perhaps it will.

Affectionately,
Muffit

Last edited by Muffit; September 10th, 2003 at 01:53 PM..
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #4
The Blue Mule
Warrior

Thank you very much Muffit!

I totally believe in the friendships that this place brings together,but to be honest being poor all my life has taught me and my family that when hardships aproach no one, and I mean no one is about to help.

Right now I am worried about a close friend who is a struggling writer,( and a good one) he's lost his apartment, and lost his job (Hes a computer repair person lost it about the same time i did) and how he's more or less vanished. And I cant do anything to help him, in fact his own family doesn't want to help him. It's a long story. But he is a healthy American who can work. So am I, and to be honest, no one wants us. (THE TRUE TERRIBLE FEELING) Now my family just wants me or my friend just to go work in some god forsaken 9 to 5 job (which I have been doing since I was in grammer school more or less) and its not for me. That is why we wanted our chosen careers.

I'm sorry, didnt mean to get all down in the dumps. I just cant see anything good. I thought that when a BSG film would re surface it would take me away and engage me as the original had way back when. Now thanks to R.D.Moore(a true weak writer if ever there was one) He's bringing it back as something totally alien and just plain wrong. So now I cant even look forward to the only SCI FI show worth watching.

Anyway I know i'll get through this, i just dont want that feeling "Baggage" following me where ever I go. It's too tiresome.

Yours

Rich E. Kranz