Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old February 11th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #121
Fragmentary

There was a neat little reference to the UK comedy series The Office in this week's Lost. I love that show!
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #122
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default 70s feel to it

To me, Lost has a 70s feel to it, for two reasons.
I think why Lost has really gotten to me is because, in some ways, it resembles the original Galactica. You've got a large attractive young sexy cast, a post-apocalyptic storyline, a wise older man, an imaginative far-reaching storyline and lots of really neat settings. If this thing had premiered in the 70s, prior to Galactica, it would be Lost, and not BG, that would be my all-time favorite TV series.
And secondly, I keep imagining this scenario:
It's 1975, and Aaron Spelling goes to ABC with an idea for a drama that he has. It will be filmed in Hawaii, have a large cast and beautiful scenery, and a somewhat moralistic storyline--that is, the characters "get what is coming to them." No, it's not the 1975 Spelling series Fantasy Island--it's Lost! The only real difference in characters is that the character of Sayid, rather than being an Iraqi terrorist, would be a former member of the Viet Cong, and of course there'd have to be a Communist, a Nazi, a Vietnam veteran (that could be Jack or Sawyer) and an ex-radical hippie, all stuck on an island together with about 40 other folks following a plane crash. ABC says no, because it sounds like nothing more than Gilligan's Island with a greater number of actors. So Spelling comes up with the Fantasy Island three-part weekly storyline instead.
I guess I've just watched WAAAAY too much TV, but this odd scenario keeps running through my head!

Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #123
Fragmentary

You're right. Lost could use a midget.
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #124
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default matthew fox

Matthew Fox, who plays Jack, will be on the Tony Danza show on Tuesday, Feb. 22, so check your local listings.
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:57 AM   #125
Rowan
On Vacation...

Ok after that last ep I think I'm falling in love with Sayid!!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #126
Fragmentary

Did you notice Hurley in the flashback from this weeks episode? When Jin goes to deliver the message, in the background the little boy is watching TV and it looks like Hurley was on the screen. What was Hurley doing in Korea?
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #127
Rowan
On Vacation...

Ok this I have to check out !! Dang now I'm going to have to "aquire" that episode just to see that!! LOL
Old March 4th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #128
Rowan
On Vacation...

So 16 years the signal that the french woman changed has been repeating ...
and 16 years ago that ladies husband heard the transmition of the voice repeating those numbers that the french woman changed.
Hmmm.....

the strange numbers are what brought the french woman Danielle and her crew to the island
the strange numbers were the reason Hurley won the lotto
the strange numbers were the reason the man killed himself
and the strange numbers are on the edge of the hatch
Hmmmm....
Old March 5th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #129
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default purgatory

There's been a theory going around for weeks that all of the characters on Lost are dead and the island is actually Purgatory where they can atone for their sins. We've found out in the flashback episodes that all of the major characters were criminals, low-lifes, really good at deceiving others or had some weird scary talent. And all of these characters knew that what was happening, or what they made happen, was wrong.
I don't think Hurley fits into any of those categories. All he did was win the lottery, and then have terrible luck because he unknowingly selected numbers that might have been cursed.
So if Hurley is dead, why is he in Purgatory? He's the one major character that seems innocent. Unless he also did something majorly bad, and we just haven't learned it yet.
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #130
Rowan
On Vacation...

Hey Mary
I posted here back in Oct (after watching the first 2 eps) that I thought they were all dead
http://battlestargalactica-fleets.co...3&postcount=17
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #131
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Only Danielle seems to know most of the secrets of the island. She knows about the island from a territorial perspective - she knows how large it is, where the dangerous areas are, what kinds of animals are loose and where they gather. She knows where the signal originates and where the 'others' are (even if she's never seen them). She knows where her ship is (or what's left of it). She knows about the Black Rock, the source of electricity on the island...etc etc

Some fans think she will be killed of at seasons end, but others want her to stick around and maybe pop in very 4th or 5th episode to drop a clue or two then vanish back into the jungle.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #132
Rowan
On Vacation...

Oh I love her character I really hope they don't get rid of her. Her orneryness will keep people at bay so despite all her knowlege it would never be easy to get it out of her!!
Old March 8th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #133
Rowan
On Vacation...

I thought I'd provide a more acurate translation of Danielle's repeating message which technically does not actually repeat itself lol, it's a little different every time.

If anybody hears this
I've been all the way to the black rock
help us
They are all dead
they are dead
He/they killed them
he/they killed them all

during another "repeat" of the message she says
(il est dehors)

he is outside
he is outside

then she says something I cannot decipher it's a whole sentece. I will type it out phonetically but it makes no sense as I cannot pick out too many actual words and I'm not sure I'm being acurate with the sounds either, because Shanon talks over it a little.

Ils brin dans les brelles des cleys

The words I hear clearly are ils, dans, les, cley

which is: he, in, the, keys,

the brin part actually has a longer n sound on the end than this spelling would suggest she might be saying baigne which means swim/bathe (depending on how it's used) but the way she says he is outside suggests he is just outside the door and she is afraid.

I'd like to point out that never once does she say she is all alone infact with the use of the word nous she clearly indicates that she is not alone

Also the way the sentence is structured " ils les Ã* tuer" implies a person or possibly an animal not a disease/sickness.

Hope that helps a little

Now if someone could translate the spanish in the comic book in the first ep where we see the camera pause for a while on a particular page that would be great!
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #134
Fragmentary

That comic book actually pops up from time to time on e-bay. It was the spanish language version of an actual issue where the Flash and Green Lantern team up or something. Anyway, the art is the same. I don't know if there were any changes made to the words.
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #135
Rowan
On Vacation...

if I type it out can you read it?
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:18 AM   #136
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default idea for season finale

I've come up with another scenario for the season finale of Lost. The producers have been saying since the show started that one of the major 14 characters will die. Josh Holloway hints in this week's TV Guide that it is a character who hasn't been developed much.
Well, now I think it's Claire (Emilie de Lavin), the very pregnant one. She will have her baby, and she'll be fine for a few weeks. (The writers wouldn't write her off during the delivery of the baby, because that's too obvious of a plot line.) But something will happen to her at the end of the season, and she'll die, leaving Charlie (and everybody else) to raise her child.
But I also think that's not the last we've seen of de Lavin. When Claire disappeared on the island for a few weeks, you noticed that she wasn't listed on the closing credits. Well, I think she'll still be a cast member next season. I know I'm showing my age here, but she could come back as a ghost, just like characters did all the time in Dark Shadows. Besides, there are so many non-human creatures already on the island, why wouldn't there be a ghost?
Mary
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #137
Artemis
Warrior

I'm hesitant to even guess who is going to die. They seem to direct you to the obvious, such as Boone, and then throw in a twist. It is ironic that it appears Boone might die from a plane crash after surviving a plane crash. I don't think they can kill off Clare, that would make the baby's survival difficult with nothing to feed it and we know how people react to a baby being killed by looking at the reaction of many to the cylon, Six, in TNS pilot.
Rowan-thanks for the translation, it is interesting.
To jump back to the purgatory idea...what did Jack do? He lied at first but later turned his dad in. I don't think that is what is going on but I can't tell what is.
Locke sure seemed to be loosing it in the last episode but his ranting did get something to happen at the portal.
The writers are very good at bring up more questions than they answer in each episode. Makes me look forward to Wednesdays.
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #138
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto
Josh Holloway hints in this week's TV Guide that it is a character who hasn't been developed much.
I've had the death spoiled for me. And let me just say, that if you take this piece of info to its logical extension, the character in question becomes clear.

Enigmatic enough for ya? This is a Lost thread after all.
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #139
Rowan
On Vacation...

Sayid
Clair Littleton
Jack Shepard
Hugo “Hurley†Reyes
Shannon Rutherford
James Sawyer
Walter “Walt†Lloyd
Jin Kwon
Sun Kwon
Kate Ryan
Charlie Pace
John Locke
Michael Dawson
Boone Carlisle

I can't imagine losing anyone of them I'm attatched to them all
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #140
Artemis
Warrior

They have all been developed but if I had to guess based on that it would be Jin, Shannon or Walt.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #141
Rowan
On Vacation...

Well they can't off a kid I don't think that would go over very well plus Walt has been quite key in many ways. Now that Shannon is Sayid's woman and Boone's sister she has quite the connection built up also she is basically the only other female "sex symbol" on the island with too many single male leads they are going to need her presence unless they start to build up one of the back ground characters. I'm thinking Jin as well he's the only one who can't communitcate with the rest, he is the most isolated from the group and has just broken up with his wife.
It's a shame though because his presence makes this feel far more realistic to me in that not everyone on a plane is likely to all speak the same language, and he presents an interesting challenge to the rest of the group due to his culture and lack of English.
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #142
Artemis
Warrior

I agree that killing off the kid would not go over well with the viewing public and when I looked at the male/female ratio I does seem unlikely that they would get rid of a woman, so I think Jin is the most likely of the 3 I listed. Then again, it could be the obvious, Boone is already near death from last week and most of his involvement has been tied to Locke. Guess we will find out soon.
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #143
Rowan
On Vacation...

I hope it's not Boone I like all the eye candy this show has I'm thinking that Boone is a distraction we will all be left thinking it must be him because he is all ready badly injured but then they will throw a curve ball at us with a sudden and unexpected death.
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #144
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
I hope it's not Boone I like all the eye candy this show has
eye candy or not, that guy is a B-A-D actor. I've tried all season to get past that, but I think he might actually be getting worse.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #145
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmentary
eye candy or not, that guy is a B-A-D actor. I've tried all season to get past that, but I think he might actually be getting worse.

LOL well I'm sure many men forgive Pamela Anderson
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #146
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:
LOL well I'm sure many men forgive Pamela Anderson
Have you seen the ads for her new series?
I think eye candy is the only reason it can make it past a couple episodes.

I agree that Boone maybe to obvious, that is what I like about this show, it keeps you guessing.
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #147
Artemis
Warrior

Big Grin

it's on tonight
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #148
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
it's on tonight
It better be I was so bummed that there was no Medium on Monday I hate it when they do that!! got my fingers crossed
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #149
PredatorPt
Bad Email Address

Quote:
if I type it out can you read it?
If you are still interested, I can try it, since I'm Portuguese and Spanish isn't very different
PredatorPt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #150
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorPt
If you are still interested, I can try it, since I'm Portuguese and Spanish isn't very different

Ok cool thank you !! I'll get on it