Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old May 19th, 2005, 06:23 AM   #1
gmd3d
Major

Default Batman's 'Riddler' foe dies aged 72

Batman's 'Riddler' foe dies aged 72

Click to enlarge photo
Frank Gorshin, the impressionist with 100 faces best known for his Emmy-nominated role as the Riddler in the Batman TV series, has died at 72.

Gorshin's wife of 48 years, Christina, was at his side when he died on Tuesday at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Centre, in Burbank, California, his agent and long-time friend, Fred Wostbrock, said.

"He put up a valiant fight with lung cancer, emphysema and pneumonia," Mrs Gorshin said in a statement.

Despite dozens of TV and movie credits, Gorshin will be forever remembered for his role as the Riddler, Adam West's villainous foil in the question mark-pocked green suit and bowler hat on Batman from 1966 to 1969.

The Riddler's high-pitched laugh was based on his own, Gorshin told AP Radio in 1997.

"I fooled around with all kinds of different laughs and then I found out that when I do laugh I get this high-pitched laugh and I thought, 'This is what I'm going to use'."

"It really was a catalyst for me," Gorshin recalled in a 2002 Associated Press interview. "I was nobody. I had done some guest shots here and there. But after I did that, I became a headliner in Vegas, so I can't put it down."

Adam West said the death of his long-time friend was a big loss. Frank will be missed," West said in a statement. "He was a friend and fascinating character."

In 2002, Gorshin portrayed George Burns on Broadway in the one-man show Say Goodnight Gracie.

Gorshin's final acting performance will be broadcast on CBS series CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

Born in Pittsburgh, Gorshin broke into showbusiness in New York. He did more than 40 impressions, including Al Jolson, Kirk Douglas, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin and James Cagney. Later, he took his impressions to The Ed Sullivan Show on a memorable evening - the same night the Beatles were featured.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote