Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 1st, 2003, 07:47 AM   #1
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default The Galactica Museum

Somehow I have an image in my mind of Moore, Eick, and Hammer running through a great art museum they inherited through somewhat questionable means. The museum is large, with four wings filled and four still unusued but is a great display of classical paintings and sculptures. In my image, they rush about, tossing out antique paintings and carvings to make space for their own, better "modern" artwork. After burning the classic paintings and smashing the intricate sculptures they marvel with pride on what a great gift they were given with the art museum. To their mind, its the same, only better, since the name above the door hasn't changed and each wing still has the same name of the hall engraved at the entrance. They still claim they're honoring the original museum and ignoring the fact that there were four other unusued wings in the building that could have held their "art" without destroying what was there before.

Its a crude image but it works for me.

Two-Brain
Old April 1st, 2003, 09:07 AM   #2
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Oh, that was horrifying!

Keep them away from the impressionist galleries and the American wing at the Metropolitan, aaaaaaaaauuuugh!
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 10:01 AM   #3
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Lol! That reminds me of 'Beetlejuice', when they turn that beautiful old house into a modern nightmare. I always watch it going "No! Not the house!"
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 10:44 AM   #4
ststeven11

Its even more reprehensible that they arrogantly expect fans of TOS to come see his "exhibits," despite all that has been stated to the contrary. TPTB appear to have fingers planted firmly in their ears, yelling "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA! I can't hear you!"
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:42 AM   #5
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

That’s funny.
Cuz It reminds me more of a group of museum patrons who continually call for the reopening of a favorite Exhibition

But then protest when one particular statue is not featured prominently.

Even when a super well "Respected Curator" comes along with a plan to pick up the exhibit the way it was and even revitalize it. Make it better then ever.
But his ideas are shouted down by the "Statue Supporting" patrons and their Leader the "Insider" patron, who find out that there prized statue will not be featured prominently.

Even tho the "Respected Curator" has special plans for a grand unveiling of "The Statue" later during the run of the exhibit.
The "insider" patron rallies the angry patrons to protest for their statue.
Sign the petition!
Write Letters!

So...
eventually...
that project is taken away from that "Respected Curator" by the "Museum Foundation", and the "Respected Curator" eventually goes on to create another successful "Museum Exhibit" set to open in the summer.

Now some of the patrons enjoyed the shape and flow of some of the objects in the exhibit but could see that they could use some sprucing up especially since in reality it had never been completed anyway.
These patrons were not as angry as the statue supporters and were anxious to once again enjoy the familiar shapes and objects that they had once loved when they visited the museum, but were not as enamored of this statue as the rest of the angry patrons.

So these patrons came to the statue supporters and said how about a "Renovation" of the exhibit with newer materials?
Cast some new statues in new shiny chrome plated metal instead of the fading polyester clothed cement originals. Commission an artist to carve the other elements from Quartz or precious gems instead of colored glass or zirconium...
But these "Renovation" patrons were set upon most violently by the angry "Statue Supporting" patrons, the same way fresh meat is by wild pack animals.
So these "Renovation" patrons abandoned the "Statue Supporting" and instead took up a quiet vigil away from the "Statue Supporting" patrons and waited to see what would come of the exhibit.

It was not soon after the "Respected Curator" had moved on that the "Foundation" which supports the museum has finally has had enough of the angry patrons keeping things at a standstill because of this one statue.
The foundation decides to bring in a new "Maverick Curator" to change enough around in hopes of attracting a whole new group of patrons.
This "Maverick Curator" has helped set up many other successful exhibits in the past and even has even amassed a following of patrons eager to contribute to another museum that houses a new exhibit by him.

The angry "Statue Supporting" patrons, realizing the horrible mistake they had made, in not supporting the "Respected Curator" the angry patrons then beg and plead to the foundation to please

bring back the well respected curator.
Even when the new renovations are already underway the "insider" patron continues to give false hope to the angry patrons, with promises of change on the horizon.
Some of the "renovation" patrons take some amusement at the plight of "Statue Supporting" patrons, because among the ranks of the "Renovation" patrons are also those who would have welcomed the participation of the "Respected Curator"

But it is too late.
The new exhibit will open in a few months.
An exhibition of strange new shapes and synthetic materials.
But it is an exhibition that promises to familiar enough to pique the curiosity of some of the "Renovation" Patrons who had been waiting and hoping for at least something familiar enough to enjoy.
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 12:16 PM   #6
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Hito,

You forgot the part about the "Maverick Curator" seeking out a dysfunctional reporter to provide selective media coverage to pressure the museum owners and statue supporters and ensure that his exhibit wouldn't be altered in any way.

Two-Brain
TwoBrainedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 12:41 PM   #7
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Nah
everyone has one of those.
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 01:16 PM   #8
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Your analogy is alright by me.

I'm from Chicago and here we appreciate older, finer things such as Early 20th Century architecture. To tear down a Frank Lloyd Wright or Daniel Burnham building would practically cause rioting in our streets!

And so this is what they are doing with our precious Galactica.

I don't know what made Moore do this. I just don't understand???
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 01:24 PM   #9
ststeven11

Default Well said, Hito.....

.....but I respectfully disagree.

You can fill a building with velvet renditions of Elvis and call it a museum of fine art, but that doesn't make it so. Furthermore, it makes the "Maverick Curator" look foolish when he sets up an impressionist exhibit and then tries to pass off "Dogs Playing Cards" as a Monet. It insults existing patrons and simultaneously it disenfranchises them. If the "Foundation" is interested in attracting a different set of patrons, why use an existing genre if the label doesn't fit? Finally, if the "Foundation" views patrons of the museum as being that fickle, open a different one and sell the existing one to someone willing to cater to them.

More to the point: why not create a new work of art in the same genre of a classic instead of re-creating the classic? Metaphorically speaking, of course.