Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds
Notices
Shattered Worlds Project forum for new FAN-based endeavours.
Share what you're doing here!

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Promus
Shuttle Pilot

Question Buck Rogers in the 25th Century / BSG Crossover

What do you think, BSG fans?

While watching the "other" Glen Larson vintage sci-fi show, "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century," I had an idea; what if Larson had crossed the two shows together?

Instead of the Battlestar Galactica getting to the 13th Colony in 1980, what if they had actually gotten there in the 25th century (implying that the show took place in the future and not the 20th century), and joined forces with Buck Rogers and the Earth Defense Directorate to defeat the Cylons? That's what they were hoping for, anyway - that the 13th Colony would have sufficient resources and technology to assist them in their fight against the Cylon tyranny.

The show could be called, "Battlestar Galactica in the 25th Century!" Or just "Galactica 2491."

On a side note, combining the shows could have theoretically bolstered the (falling) ratings for each, so I'm kind of puzzled by Larson didn't think of something like that.

What do you think of the idea? I've decided to go with it myself and create material related to the idea - what, I haven't planned just yet. I'd like some informed fan feedback, first!
Promus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:04 AM   #2
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Default Re: Buck Rogers in the 25th Century / BSG Crossover

Check out the fanfilm called 'United' which is available for download from the VISUAL SHORTS page of www.battlestarfanfilms.com
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promus View Post
What do you think, BSG fans?

While watching the "other" Glen Larson vintage sci-fi show, "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century," I had an idea; what if Larson had crossed the two shows together?

Instead of the Battlestar Galactica getting to the 13th Colony in 1980, what if they had actually gotten there in the 25th century (implying that the show took place in the future and not the 20th century), and joined forces with Buck Rogers and the Earth Defense Directorate to defeat the Cylons? That's what they were hoping for, anyway - that the 13th Colony would have sufficient resources and technology to assist them in their fight against the Cylon tyranny.

The show could be called, "Battlestar Galactica in the 25th Century!" Or just "Galactica 2491."

On a side note, combining the shows could have theoretically bolstered the (falling) ratings for each, so I'm kind of puzzled by Larson didn't think of something like that.

What do you think of the idea? I've decided to go with it myself and create material related to the idea - what, I haven't planned just yet. I'd like some informed fan feedback, first!

Promus, I would Have Loved that, Then when they Reached EARTH it would have made More Sense, It would have Given EARTH a Fighting Chance. But there is a Little know Fact that The StarFighter Used in Buck Rogers was Originally suppose to be the Viper used in Battlestar Galactica, Knowing that the 2 Shows would have worked Perfectly together, But with Galactica 1980, I think they were Looking for a Drama within a Drama, The Galactica found an Underdeveloped EARTH but they also lead The Cylons to EARTH, Interesting Concept, But it didn't work unfortunately. And That's The Way It Is.

But I wish they Had Gone in Your Direction.

Bill
Orion24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Promus
Shuttle Pilot

Yeah, it would have been really cool! The second season of Buck Rogers even had Buck and the rest of the crew searching the universe for the "lost colonies" of humanity, basically the reverse of BSG's premise. I'm sure Buck and the Battlestar Galactica would have run into each other eventually - well, if Larson hadn't gone with the "Galactica 1980" idea.

That fan video is really cool, though - thanks for the reference, Ernie! I enjoyed watching it.
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post
Check out the fanfilm called 'United' which is available for download from the VISUAL SHORTS page of www.battlestarfanfilms.com
That was Great ernie, Thank's.

Bill
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:28 PM   #6
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Yeah, it would have been really cool! The second season of Buck Rogers even had Buck and the rest of the crew searching the universe for the "lost colonies" of humanity, basically the reverse of BSG's premise. I'm sure Buck and the Battlestar Galactica would have run into each other eventually - well, if Larson hadn't gone with the "Galactica 1980" idea.

That fan video is really cool, though - thanks for the reference, Ernie! I enjoyed watching it.
You should also check out what they had planned if there was a season 2, Go Here: http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Ba...r_Two_proposal

Bill
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:54 PM   #7
Promus
Shuttle Pilot

Wow, that's really interesting; I had no idea that Larson had developed the season season ideas so thoroughly. My only complaint is that they would have possibly recast the role of Athena into a non-Maren Jensen entity, which would have been terrible, and the "heart-throb" character of Adama's cabin boy to draw female viewers sounds like he would have been annoying. Weren't Starbuck and Apollo "heart-throbbish" enough?
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:19 AM   #8
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Wow, that's really interesting; I had no idea that Larson had developed the season season ideas so thoroughly. My only complaint is that they would have possibly recast the role of Athena into a non-Maren Jensen entity, which would have been terrible, and the "heart-throb" character of Adama's cabin boy to draw female viewers sounds like he would have been annoying. Weren't Starbuck and Apollo "heart-throbbish" enough?
Yeah, I Know, But to do something like that to Athena sounds a little Adult Oriented in Nature, If you know what I mean, Considering that the Studio Execs. back then Considered all Sci-Fi shows to be Kiddie Shows I don't think that GL could have got that past them, As for the Heart Throbs, I would have thought that Starbuck and Apollo would have been Enough also, Adama's cabin boy Troy (Which is the name they gave Boxey in Galactica 1980) I think he would have been Annoying Also. But any Sci-Fi shows that were on any Major Network back then was an Instant Death Sentence for that show, BSG came on by me on Thursday night 8:00 PM on ABC, Back then any Sci-Fi show on a Network was Lucky if they lasted 3 Seasons, Galactica 1980 was on Sunday night 7:00 PM on ABC, Any Sci-Fi show that's on Sunday's and in the 7:00 PM timeslot wasn't just an Instant Death Sentence, It was Total Devastation, They were up against 60 Minutes, It was as if ABC wanted to Destroy the Show, And they basically did, NBC was a little kinder to Buck Rogers he was in the Friday at 8:00 PM timeslot, But that was only for 2 Seasons. Oh Well, I guess it was Good to be the King (Execs.) back Then.

Bill
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM   #9
gmd3d
Major

I have never read this before (second season) cannot say I like most of it .

Boomer and Athena should have had greater roles . recasting or other wise for Athena is one thing that would not have bothered me. Cassiopeia becomes the head Life Sciences
is something I really don't like.. where is the other medical staff .. a ship a mile long and has one Doctor .. please??

Apollo going off and doing a Starbuck effort sounds like a complete twat and against the character direction. and no boxey .. that is Apollo anchor ..

second season for Larson are always a let down . look at the second season of buck Rogers .. mostly rubbish and even Gil Gerard hated it.. he even felt the first Season
could and would have been far better if the producers focused on Buck adjustment to
the 25th century life .. (I agree) rather than the wise cracking smart ass (Gil Gerard quote) that he was.
a well that only my opinion.

But as to the crossover .. I always thought about it myself as a direction to go in would have been a great idea. better then arriving in the 1980s Earth.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:16 AM   #10
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
I have never read this before (second season) cannot say I like most of it .

Boomer and Athena should have had greater roles . recasting or other wise for Athena is one thing that would not have bothered me. Cassiopeia becomes the head Life Sciences
is something I really don't like.. where is the other medical staff .. a ship a mile long and has one Doctor .. please??

Apollo going off and doing a Starbuck effort sounds like a complete twat and against the character direction. and no boxey .. that is Apollo anchor ..

second season for Larson are always a let down . look at the second season of buck Rogers .. mostly rubbish and even Gil Gerard hated it.. he even felt the first Season
could and would have been far better if the producers focused on Buck adjustment to
the 25th century life .. (I agree) rather than the wise cracking smart ass (Gil Gerard quote) that he was.
a well that only my opinion.

But as to the crossover .. I always thought about it myself as a direction to go in would have been a great idea. better then arriving in the 1980s Earth.
I Agree Taranis, I didn't care much for what they had planned either, But I don't think they would have done it anyway, I mean they had their chance to do that in Galactica 1980 and they didn't, So all the Proposals GL made would more than likely been scrapped, As for Buck Rogers, They should have stayed with the Original Concept, The 2nd season to me always looked like they were on a Carnival Cruise Ship,The Crews Costumes looked Ridiculous for being on a Military/Exploration Ship. But if both shows were Weak, Then combining both would have made them Stronger IMO.

Bill
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:23 AM   #11
gmd3d
Major

The only thing about the second season of BRs that I like was Hawk . great character and actor oh and Erin Gray is beautiful to watch . damn shame they messed with her character
too ..

Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Quote:
The only thing about the second season of BRs that I like was Hawk . great character and actor oh and Erin Gray is beautiful to watch . damn shame they messed with her character
too ..
Yeah, Hawk was a Great Character, I always thought of him as Buck Roger's version of Mr. Spock, Hawk was an Alien and didn't show that much Emotion and always came up with a Logical Solution, And I Agree, Why they Downgraded Erin Gray's Character is Beyond Me, She was more like a Stewardess than a Military Col. in the 2nd Season, Mistakes were Definitely Made.

Bill
Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:54 PM   #13
gmd3d
Major

if they made any remake's of a show and that would be Buck Rogers, keeping some of the lighthearted feel to the show. but seen a deeper character when alone or in some situations.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM   #14
Promus
Shuttle Pilot

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like Larson's ideas for the BSG second season. I kind of felt guilty reading his ideas and not liking them, so I'm glad I'm not alone. I don't think that Apollo should have become like Starbuck, either...that would basically be like having two of the same character, which would diminish Starbuck's role and make Apollo a lame rip-off. And getting rid of Boxey while having his "father" Apollo abandon him to become a playboy would be pretty crappy.

And having Athena's body engulfed in flames while Adama tries to put the fire out with his bare hands? That's some seriously traumatic stuff right there! Reminds me of something we would otherwise see in the Show That Shall Not Be Named.

I'm glad that you guys also like my idea of a crossover.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM   #15
Orion24
Bad Email Address

I don't think they wanted to Traumatize the kids with the darker stuff GL had planned, The main thing back then for the show was to make it Kid Friendly, Not scare the bejesus out of them.

Bill
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:36 AM   #16
gmd3d
Major

the one thing I have learned been a member here and on most boards is for every one who dislikes an idea there a as many who do like it. I think its easer to see both shows joined together as it had the same producer and even the same models from BSG

Old September 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #17
Promus
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion24 View Post
I don't think they wanted to Traumatize the kids with the darker stuff GL had planned, The main thing back then for the show was to make it Kid Friendly, Not scare the bejesus out of them.
That's a good point; I think that most of the "heavy" stuff that Larson put in his second season pitch might have just been there to whet the appetites of the television executives, to get them to greenlight another season. Maybe once he got a second season, he wouldn't have gone with those ideas, anyway. Or maybe he would have...either way, he didn't get the second season, and I'm almost glad!

Quote:
I think its easer to see both shows joined together as it had the same producer and even the same models from BSG
And the same sound effects...if you close your eyes and listen to the episodes, besides the different voices, you'd almost think it was the same show!
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #18
gmd3d
Major

yeah .. how right you are .. but I think that the reason i like it so much

Old September 4th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #19
Orion24
Bad Email Address

I'm working on another Terminal for BSG, It should be up in a few days or early next week, In the mean Time here's some Buck Rogers Terminal's for you. I like to thank Dietrich (Cmdr.Kerner) for the use of the Colored Logo in the second Terminal. (Fullscreen Only)

Enjoy.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg br1.jpg (118.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg br2.jpg (183.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg br3.jpg (119.6 KB, 1 views)
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #20
gmd3d
Major

cool work ...

Old September 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #21
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Quote:
cool work ...
Thank You Taranis.

Bill
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #22
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

'Happy Birthday Buck" Starfighter

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=15906
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #23
gmd3d
Major

cool model . If I had not already built it I would go for it again .

my humble effort

Old September 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #24
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Besides The Viper, This was my Second Favorite Fighter Design in Sci-Fi.

And here's a Blast From the Past: http://www.geocities.com/buckrogers_...les.html?20095

Bill
Old September 5th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #25
Benedict
Warrior

That is a nice model of the Earth fighter. Admittedly I still like Buck Rogers though probably only season 1, alas. I'm a bit late to the discussion but from what I read of the second season ideas for BSG I'm not keen on them or wouldn't have been keen. No Athena for one thing.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #26
Orion24
Bad Email Address

I Agree Benedict, It really didn't Sound Good, The second season proposal was too dark and dismal sounding not only with Athena but with Sheba's Death also, I for one would have liked to have seen a second season, But not the one that was proposed, But here's a list with short descriptions of Unproduced Scripts for TOS BSG: http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Po...tica_%28TOS%29

Bill
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #27
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
'Happy Birthday Buck" Starfighter

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=15906
This is the first time I knew that they had used the gun's from the Viper on this model. COOL!

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #28
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbertman View Post
This is the first time I knew that they had used the gun's from the Viper on this model. COOL!

Jim
Actually dilbertman, BR's Starfighter was the First Design for the the Viper in BSG, Meaning it Was Suppose to be The Viper Originally in TOS BSG, But they didn't use it, So the Guns are from the Original Design,That's Why they are the Same.

Bill
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #29
Jayworld
Warrior

Very cool concept (Battlestar meets Buck Rogers) and would have been much better than what we got, with no season 2 BG and BR meets Star Trek in season 2, to boldly go…. awful even at the time. I was in 7th grade and I did not watch the 2nd season of Buck; too much had changed.
Old April 30th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #30
Rhaven Blaack
Warrior

This is a cool concept. I too would have loved to see the crossover. It would have been a GREAT series!!!

By the way, I made a Thunder Fighter (out of paper) in BSG paint scheme. The model was more of a "In memory of" for my mother (who passed in 2008).
Here is the thread: http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=18612
My mother and I would would watch both shows. She too would have loved to see a crossover as well.