Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old August 31st, 2005, 09:53 AM   #1
Lothos
Bad Email Address

Default Godzilla: Final wars... review? Spoilers

Not really a real review, but more of list of positives\negatives about the movie...

Positives:

-GODZILLA!!!
-The fact that pretty much every monster that Godzilla fought until the 1970's makes an appearance w/exception of mechaG.
- The overall universe of the movie: It's the future, mankind has united in an attempt to stop monster attacks and now has fleets of anti-monster assault craft (al ala Macross/ Yamato/ Other Japanese space battleship type ships) and has recruited "mutants" as super soldiers in the battle against said monsters.
- The Colonel - Captain of Goronga (main battleship) Speaks english through the entire movie and is pretty badass.
- When Speaking english call Godzilla GODZILLA. When someone speaks Japanese he is called GOJIRA
- Good Music.
-Good length.
-Nice Sets.

The Negatives:
-Special Effects are sub-par from other more recent Godzilla movies. It's obvious (I mean REALLY obvious) in some scenes that it is toy tanks etc... In many places the film appears sped up which looks really bad. BAD CGI!!!!! Again not as good as recent efforts.

- Editing - The way the movie plays out it feels like they filmed about an 8 hour movie, realized it was too long and so decided to simply take one second from the beginning of each filmed shot and splice them together into a movie. I swear I began to get dizzy watching this with all the movement and jumping around that was going on.

- The script - The story I.E. the idea behind this is not bad, but the way it is executed is poor - Things happen. Lots of things happen. People talk to one another. Who are these people? Why are things happenning. Not explained so well. 1/2 way through the movie we discover that a reporter doing an interview is the sister of one of the "main" characters. Why?
The progression of 1 scene for example where they describe - we need to launch the ship and fight our way to the south pole to free Godzilla. The next scene - Ok we are now at the south pole and (apparently have not fought anyone from the looks of it) now need to free Godzilla> Ahh we've been shot down! Lets easily free Godzilla from his Icy tomb. Look he just killed the 2 guys at the arctic research station who we introduced for no real reason etc...

- The characterization - As I said before, who are these people? Why do we care about them? They do not enhance the plot but merely seem to move it along. Why do the mutants remind me so much of power rangers?
Despite having no real development of his character why is the Colonel so badass cool? What purpose do the kid and his grandpa have? Why are the villians SO stupid?

- The Fights - Overall the fights between Godzilla and the other monsters seem either too short or too silly in places. It's a great nod to the types of movies that most of these monsters first appeared in but are from the slam-bang action of the more recent fair.

Overall impression: Is this a good movie? If you are a fan of Japanese Sci-fi, Godzilla movies before 1975 , or Anime then yes.

Is it a great movie? Heck no. If you are looking for the next Braveheart or Batman Begins or To Kill a Mockingbird then you are looking in the wrong place my friend.

If you are looking for something on par with a REALLY GOOD episode of Power Rangers (Yes I know that statement seems like a contradiction) then this is for you.
Lothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:19 AM   #2
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

You'd think, with some of the VERY kick-ass CGI that comes out of Japan in some vid game promos, etc (See Final Fantasy game promos), that the makers of Godzilla movies would recruit/hire some of these folks.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote